• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us set photos (HBO)

jonnyp

waldau-tlou01.jpg

Such a better fit.

Good shout. Personally think Anson Mount would've been perfect.

I just don't see Pascal as Joel, let alone Ramsey as Ellie.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Bella Ramsey can sing and play guitar. That might be one of the reasons she was cast. She has her own Youtube channel. I think she might be good as Ellie. I hope we get a teaser trailer this year but I doubt it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is going to fail badly. I mean why would I care about the main character when I know he’ll
probably die in the last episode or the next season

Markio128

This is going to fail badly. I mean why would I care about the main character when I know he’ll
The show could quite easily stray from the games storyline, as has already been suggested, so you may be jumping the gun there.

Matsuchezz

I am more concerned about the acting than what they look like. i think Troy Baker delivered a great performance in both games. His acting is what made the character so lovable. And the animation team did a fucking awesome job. Additionally Ashley Johnson was freaking good too.I think acting is what made the last of us great, Not what they looked like. HBO does not go half way with this kind of series, they invest in the series they produce i am expecting big things. I hope to see great camera angles that can only be seen in videogames so far.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So they watched ellie's face and then decited to go with most different looking actress they could find?!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not a fan of the casting on both but especially Ellie, It's not hard to find a young actress to cast as her that looks at least a little bit like her.

This tv show isn't for the people that have played the game in my opinion though.

Yea, when the casting of a show seems immediately off it's usually a bad sign. Fingers crossed though. I hope it's good.

It's actually interesting how people say the actors were not well chosen considering they actually match the original concept art better, specially Joel:

But judging a TV show from a potato camera zoomed in 20 times in a low quality picture is...not the best way to go.
I also don't think we are the main audience for this show. We already played the game lol.

They want to expand the IP to other people. The Witcher got a huge sales boost when the tv show was released for a reason. I'm sure it wasn't bought by the ones that had already bought and played the game originally.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well the series is unfortunately written by Druckmann so expect the worst.
He would have been a good in the role too but I like that they chose Pascal. I think he looks great in those set pics.
I really like pascal, but he doesn't look like Joel

I saw one comment of a guy saying "this is wrong. Joel only gets this weapon near the end of the game, and Tess is dead by then" and i couldn't stop laughing.
Imagine going to watch a TV show and expecting the episodes to have the same elements as the gameplay parts of the videogame.

What's next? Joel crunching to get some "scrap" multiple times during the show to upgrade weapons?

i don't like this. i like pedro and bella they are really talented but it feels so wrong. of course i'll wait until i see the show before fully judging them. good luck to them. they'll need it because the rabid ND loyalists will tear them apart if they mess it up.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

Not a fan of the casting on both but especially Ellie, It's not hard to find a young actress to cast as her that looks at least a little bit like her.

This tv show isn't for the people that have played the game in my opinion though.
The only young actress I can think of at the top of my head that has a decent likeness to Ellie is the girl that plays Judith on The Walking Dead. The problem is that even though she's currently the same age as the character itself, she's probably too short to take on the role at the moment unless they gave her shoe lifts or something. I guess they could also just not care and have her appear as she normally does, because judging by the actual casting for Ellie, clearly people/things don't have to look exactly like they do in-game.

Hugare

FUBARx89

People bitching about Bella Ramsey, remember, it could of been far worse.

They could of cast Maisie Williams. By god did she do my head in in later seasons.

So get ready for the Fireflies to be set as down on their luck heroes making the tough necessary choices, as opposed to the borderline fanatic idiots that they were in Pt. 1. And yeah not feeling Bella at all. I think she was just cast because of her character from GoT which was absolutely cringeworthy after her first appearance.

I hope this tanks actually. Mainly because it was clear that TLoU2 was set up to be a pitch for an HBO show, starting with the shock death of a main character, a wide cast of possible regulars, and being set in one major location for the bulk of its running time. It also followed the plot twist over consistency style of later GoT which of course, everyone loved. Expect tons of characters you knew for half a minute get whacked constantly as if you should care.

And Druckman is the director, man doesn't actually understand why TLOU 1 was as good as it was.Then again Season 1 will probably be... ok. Like GoT season 1 it has source material that would be hard to mess up if you adapt it relatively straight. If Bella pulls off the acting, it should be fine, even if I am not convinced by the casting.

Grown men talking shit about the look of a teenager because she doesnt look as handsome as their beloved digital character

Maybe gaming is really a hobby for man-childs, after all
Calm down, I have never even played TLOU. Also did you just assume my age? Yikes.

Last edited:
I always thought this game would make a better movie/show. I'm pretty excited about this one.

Hopefully, Ellie can swim. Better yet, hopefully she can't as it would relate to the game well.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It's actually interesting how people say the actors were not well chosen considering they actually match the original concept art better, specially Joel:
Although I'm not jumping at the bandwagon of those claiming Bella Ramsey isn't well equipped to play Ellie (I honestly don't know), I fail to see how Bella Ramsey matches Ellie's original artwork even remotely.
From concept art to the final game, Ellie has always been intended to be a big-eyed girl with round features, and Bella Ramsey just isn't like that.

Dorohedoro

Does Pedro have an m-16? I don't remember a machine gun until the hospital at the end of the game.
I think it's an M4 but it does look kind of weird because in the game he doesn't get anywhere near that level of firepower until the end in the hospital like you said. He didn't even have a hunting rifle until after Tess got put down. But little oddities like this will probably be all over the place, just gonna have to try to not think about them too much.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Grown men talking shit about the look of a teenager because she doesnt look as handsome as their beloved digital character

Maybe gaming is really a hobby for man-childs, after all

Nah, I'm just stating that out of the 7 billion people in the world, they probably could have found someone who looks more like the character than that. Trust me, I don't think Ellie looks attractive in the game, either.

Tripolygon

Banned
First: you're a white knight, congratulations.

Second: she's 18

Third: she has a big ass forehead

Fourth: it's not that serious, son.
First: white knight is what shitty people say when they get called out for being shit, congratulations.

Second: Eighteen, teen, teenager. Legally an adult but legally can't drink and is still a teenager.

Third: Having a big forehead does not make people ugly. Lots of actors have big foreheads. Angelina Jolie, Emma Watson, Reese Witherspoon.

Fourth: Not that serious yet you are having a fit because they cast someone who does not look like a made-up digital character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom