• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

Lupin25

The details…

In haptics, motion matching for animations, the improved buddy system, the particle effects and physics engine.

Incredible the effort they put in outside of just visuals. Fucking Masterclass.

Clapping Applause GIF

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Because the point is always that others shouldn't buy the game. That's why I called them "haters."

If you think the game has flaws then you're just being critical, which is welcomed. But there is a contingent on social media and forums who have had a vested interest in hoping the game fails. And "People shouldn't buy this game" is how they identify themselves because they've been saying that since 2013.
Wut. Are you for real? If someone tell you the price is not worth it and you shouldn't buy it, he express just his opinion, hardly care to the game sales. Could be a minority of people is like you say, but think most of them just want ND fail, it's incredibly paranoic and egocentric.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
It's an already great game with even better visuals, performance, and more features. As well as a PC release on top of all that. I don't understand how people get upset at this.
The only reasonable issue I can understand is the price being too high for some, or the lack of mobility like going prone.

People see that it's on PS5 and want the visuals to look like pre-rendered CGI, despite the fact that the remake's development overlapped with Part II.
So all of a sudden TLOU part II looks like shit after only 2 years? I swear some people reduce game development to just flicking giant on/off switches.

Change stuff and fanboys kill you.
Don't change stuff and they kill you anyway!

There is no winning against that mentality, so you may as well straight-up ignore them.
Exactly.

After TLOU part II, I recall quite a few people worrying that Naughty Dog would go back and retcon TLOU to be more in line with Part II or something, changing what was considered by many to be a perfect game.
Now we have people complaining that they didn't change enough. They really can't win.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
That's still a silly argument to make. That old man in the game would be able to crawl under a car if a situation called for it. Regardless, they chose to play it safe by sticking close to the original game's gameplay but there is no good reason for them not to have added improvements from Part 2.
Play it safe but price it risky screwing your fans in the process and watch them overvalue and defend paying a higher price for your game.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's not a new game, it's a remaster/remake...whatever you want to call it. The target audience is low and no one should expect it to sell nearly as much as their biggest titles.
Yes but they are bidding on early adapters buying at that ridiculous price so they’ll profit big from this. It is a budget of an AA game sold at 70$.

CheeseCake

Seeing people frothing at the mount like this is a massive upgrade is pretty hilarious. There is very little here that warrants a “remake” monikor or the price tag.

If this wasn’t nominated for GotY, y’all would be losing your shit.

But I didn't say that TLOU needed a remake or the price tag. lmaooo

I only said that the upgrade (at least visually) is pretty substantial. The difference IS there. Sorry you can't see it!

And btw, I'm not losing my shit because I don't own a PS5 and I'm not even buying this game at full price when it comes to PC.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Simple. If it’s made from the ground up, then it’s a remake.
Improved cutscenes made shot by shot and using same mocap and same gameplay and level design compared to FF7R and putting both in the same category? You do realize how ridiculous that is?

This is a remaster. Same as the previous remaster.

tmlDan

That's still a silly argument to make. That old man in the game would be able to crawl under a car if a situation called for it. Regardless, they chose to play it safe by sticking close to the original game's gameplay but there is no good reason for them not to have added improvements from Part 2.
its not silly at all, 50 ear olds aren't young sprites who can crawl UNDER CARS, you'd struggle compared to someone in their early 20's....i would not even decide to fight like that if i were 50, it would be illogical, slow, and stupid.

You adjust based on your capabilities.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You know, it’s quite possible to like and enjoy the games a video game company puts out, and still be critical of errors they make.

TLOU is absolutely one of my favourite games, and I’m a big fan of Naughty Dog’s output, but the communications around this game, and the price slapped on it for Playstation owners, are both mistakes that should be called out.

This childish need to defend everything a developer does is very bizarre.
100% agree

But prior to the official gameplay video being released, people were blaming ND for lying based on a dubious video. Value/pricing is a completely separate issue and highly subjective to the extent that it's futile to argue for/against with others who agree/disagree. I am personally happy with what I saw but want to see more. I think the 3D audio could be amazing for this game, and destructible environments look promising.

Has the video provided everything? No; they still haven't demonstrated why their quality level won't be matched anytime soon, as they claimed. But instead of labeling them as liars, I will wait for more press release and wait to hear from trusted review sources, both formal and informal, just as I would any other game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have to completely disagree here.

Personally I think it is a perfect comparison. Especially since both are PS3 games with PS5 remakes at the same price point and both are keeping it extremely close to the original.

I liked what I have seen so far from the official trailers. Game clearly looks significantly better in every possible regard (at least for me it does. Night and day difference). The additions they are making are great and what I want.

However , and I've said it before, I think 70$/80€ is way too much money, but I think the same for Demon's Souls remake.

Will be interesting to see after finishing the game whether I think it was worth the same price as Demon's Souls PS5. I am the only one who is able to say that for me personally. I understand that others think it isn't worth it to them and that is completely fine, because if the PS4 game is enough for you then that is amazing because it is included in PS+ and you can use that 70$ for something else and grab TLOU Part 1 in a sale for 66% off in a few months like all games do that aren't Nintendo.
I think the Demon Souls comparisons are very interesting because DS is also a very faithful remake with little to no changes to enemy AI, animation systems, and same underlying gameplay mechanics. TLOU remake beats it in those aspects, and yet the DS remake looks a gen ahead of TLOU. Why is that? I am asking because I dont quite know the answer. It could because the jump from the original DS is so much larger. It could be because DS looks to have better lighting and textures. The lighting in many of TLOU levels looks worse than it did in TLOU2. Bill's town, Pittsburgh and even indoors just looks dated. Awful orange hue. TLOU2 looked way better during daytime.

But again, the effort both teams put into revamping stuff other than visuals is mostly the same. BP made some very minor changes to the movement mechanics like adding full 360 degree dodge rolls, but they didnt add series staples like the plunging attack. But the minor changes they did make made it the best playing Souls game ever. It feels better to play than DS1, DS2, DS3, Bloodborne and even Elden Ring.

At the end of the day, it's about the results. Not the effort put in. ND might have aimed to bring it up to TLOU2 standards but they have clearly fallen short here while DS looks and feels a gen ahead of even ER in every way.

Markio128

Improved cutscenes made shot by shot and using same mocap and same gameplay and level design compared to FF7R and putting both in the same category? You do realize how ridiculous that is?

This is a remaster. Same as the previous remaster.
A remaster would not have newly designed environments (with destructible scenery) and character models, along with improved AI. The gameplay, maps and enemy placements in Demon’s Souls are essentially the same, however, it is clearly a remake.

Btw, I don’t see the need for this game (I’ve always said this) and would rather ND have spent time creating something new, but what you’re arguing is incorrect in my mind.

Last edited:
This looks fucking awesome. I don't know what people were expecting. I kinda wish they added the prone mechanic though. But it is really cool that it's just the original game with new graphics and tech. Once again Naughty Dog shows everyone else how to actually create a remaster. This is what the Assassins Creed 3 remaster should have looked like.

GymWolf

What's the point of puting Motion Matching in it, if it's gonna use those same old animations from 2013? Old animations in 2022 models will look jarring af

Same for the revamped enemy AI. They will flank you more and etc., but using same old animations and reactions?

And enemies already used to flank you on the original game. Havent seen anything new on this video.

Really feels like they are trying to salvage a badly developed remake that some other company did and spent too much money on it already, so they couldnt just throw it into the garbage
Yeah, people forget that yeah enemies in the original tlou had some quirky moments like in any fucking game in existence, but in general they were pretty smart\aggrezsive and they flanked you a lot, the dev talking like this is anything new is a bit comical.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Wut. Are you for real? If someone tell you the price is not worth it and you shouldn't buy it, he express just his opinion, hardly care to the game sales. Could be a minority of people is like you say, but think most of them just want ND fail, it's incredibly paranoic and egocentric.
I always think people who go in defending anything too much or are too critical are shills or employees of competing studios, makes it easier to understand certain posts here.

Anyway, I wish they would’ve added an alternative ending, so Joel’s fate is altered. People are still too angry about what they did. They should’ve used this opportunity to bring back old fans and split up the story for another game or even IP, creating a Sliding Doors scenario, The Last of Us Joel Edition Part 2. I hope that’s what The Coalition does with Gears, choosing one ending as the true ending, doesn’t matter which one, will end in fan outrage and hurt the IP.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
It's not a new game, it's a remaster/remake...whatever you want to call it. The target audience is low and no one should expect it to sell nearly as much as their biggest titles.
It's weird then that ND took over the development from the bend folks. Why waste those resources?

It's two years after tlou2 and we're STILL waiting for factions. Their time was better spent there, or working on a new ip

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's weird then that ND took over the development from the bend folks. Why waste those resources?

It's two years after tlou2 and we're STILL waiting for factions. Their time was better spent there, or working on a new ip
If the project was started by another studio, do you think they were going to drop it before moving it to Naughty Dog?

They weren't going to lose money on their investment. Might as well finish it and release it.

Lognor

Banned
If the project was started by another studio, do you think they were going to drop it before moving it to Naughty Dog?

They weren't going to lose money on their investment. Might as well finish it and release it.
I thought that Bend wanted to keep it but ND took it from them? Why wouldn't Bend want to finish it?

GymWolf

its not silly at all, 50 ear olds aren't young sprites who can crawl UNDER CARS, you'd struggle compared to someone in their early 20's....i would not even decide to fight like that if i were 50, it would be illogical, slow, and stupid.

By your logic a 50 years old man would not win in a physical fight against multiple younger aggressors or having the stamina to do a 30 min fight scenario that involve melee and shooting in an extremely stressfull situation and while probably being in an BIG caloric deficit because in tlou world food is scarce.

And yet the 50 years old doesn't adjust jack shit and he still fight like he is 20 years old.

Come on dude, it is a silly AF argument, there is a difference between joel doing impossible things and going fucking prone or jumping or evading a little, no one would have open their mouth to say that joel is too old if these things were in the game, again, cmon, you know i'm absolutely right on the last part...

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I always think people who go in defending anything too much or are too critical are shills or employees of competing studios, makes it easier to understand certain posts here.

Anyway, I wish they would’ve added an alternative ending, so Joel’s fate is altered. People are still too angry about what they did. They should’ve used this opportunity to bring back old fans and split up the story for another game or even IP, creating a Sliding Doors scenario, The Last of Us Joel Edition Part 2. I hope that’s what The Coalition does with Gears, choosing one ending as the true ending, doesn’t matter which one, will end in fan outrage and hurt the IP.

I think they've already fucked the IP tbh.

The appeal was Joel and Ellie's relationship. They retrospectively ruined that, then killed Joel, so it's basically fucked at this point.

At the same time they asked people to care about some charmless female bodybuilder and a pathetic "trans" storyline about a boy without a penis (or a personality). They're fucking idiots.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah, people forget that yeah enemies in the original tlou had some quirky moments like in any fucking game in existence, but in general they were pretty smart\aggrezsive and they flanked you a lot, the dev talking like this is anything new is a bit comical.
Yeah and seamless transition cutscenes? Wasn’t that done by MGS4 on PS3?

sainraja

Play it safe but price it risky screwing your fans in the process and watch them overvalue and defend paying a higher price for your game.
Yeah, I guess. I think ND should have implemented the new play styles. I am also worried that they may have brought aspects of it over, but we only see that with Ellie (if that ends up being the case, I think that is silly too). I can see characters playing differently but forcing things as such as only Ellie can crawl while Joel can't would be stupid in my eyes. They probably haven't done that either though LOL. Definitely disappointed that they didn't try to make changes to the gameplay.

SpokkX

still using the same ps3-style-cramped level layouts is NOT what i expected. What did they mean by ”improved exploration”? I still will move mostly in corridors based on ps3 memory limits… and you cant jump so what is new exploration wise? Better skyboxes?

Oh and i guess this means those damn planks are still in too?

Last edited:

sainraja

Yeah, but again, that 50 year old man can do that if necessary. Joel just can't lol. I don't know how you can't see that — a real life man who is in his 50's could crawl under a car if his life depended on it and the Last of Us is a game where they face situations like that (given that the world has ended and Joel just took on a risky mission to transport Ellie).

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think they've already fucked the IP tbh.

The appeal was Joel and Ellie's relationship. They retrospectively ruined that, then killed Joel, so it's basically fucked at this point.

At the same time they asked people to care about some charmless female bodybuilder and a pathetic "trans" storyline about a boy without a penis (or a personality). They're fucking idiots.
Part 2 still sold over 10 million copies, the IP isn’t ruined, going by user talk it’s just not loved the same way as the first game. That’s why a split story arch would’ve been neat.

I remember this game being extremely good, so I want to play the "extremely better" version. Sign me up. $70 ain't nothing, I'm going to sell it for $55 the second I'm done with it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah and seamless transition cutscenes? Wasn’t that done by MGS4 on PS3?
I don't really remember tbh, but sure it is not a new thing where you need "the power of ps5" to achieve.
Yeah, MGS4 did the seemless transitions to perfection. Not the first game to do it, but most games that gen were still using prerendered cutscenes that would cut to black before transitioning to gameplay. MGS4 came out and did everything realtime. ND didnt do realtime transitions until Uncharted 4. Even Rockstar did them in GTA5 and maybe even GTA4 but I cant quite recall. Maybe it was the Gay Tony DLC.

They did mention how they are using cutscene quality character models in this remake but they are a clear step down from the amazing looking cutscenes. This is why you need hero quality lighting and LOD 0 models at all times. Whats the point of using cutscene quality models if the model you see is a way lower LOD model.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

The only thing who pissed me more than the Joel fate (well in all honesty with a better scripting I wouldn't despise it at all) it was the whole story. It's stupid as hell and outside the Ellie dramas, it doesn't add nothing of interesting to the TLOU universe for my tastes. That's really something I haven't swallow yet and I haven't big hope for the eventual sequel. I don't like how Neil leaded the narrative of the series and I really miss the Straley touch.

Last edited:

Fredrik

this guy going in on the 70 dOlLaR toO mUcH crowd right now. beautiful

Live? Could you sum up what he said?
It’s $82 in my country. Planned to buy it but unless the hype gets me at launch I’ll catch the PS+ release instead just like Returnal and Miles.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The leaker was wrong? In what reality?
Rewind the vid and watch (its live right now), he brings up excellent points. Gained a new subscriber in me
Live? Could you sum up what he said?
It’s $82 in my country. Planned to buy it but unless the hype gets me at launch I’ll catch the PS+ release instead just like Returnal and Miles.
Live yes. He's been going off for like over an hour now, hard to summazrize, but he's brought up some brilliant points. Good watch when you get home

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I thought that Bend wanted to keep it but ND took it from them? Why wouldn't Bend want to finish it?

Bend helped worked on TLOU MP.

VAS started development of TLOU Remake
When Hermen Hulst was appointed as the head of Sony Worldwide Studios, however, he wasn’t impressed with the work that was being done. Though a section of the game had been developed to show what the rest of it would like and play like, Hulst believed too much money was being pumped into the project (which was internally being called T1X). VASG founder Michael Mumbauer and his team explained that the game needed that much budget because it was being developed on a new graphics engine to leverage the PS5’s hardware, but Hulst wasn’t convinced.

Following the launch of The Last of Us Part 2 (for which VASG provided development support), several Naughty Dog developers were allegedly assigned to the development of the T1X, many of whom had been involved with the original’s development. Meanwhile, the project itself was also moved under Naughty Dog’s budget, giving it more freedom and financial leeway. In other words, Naughty Dog were made leave developers on the remake, with VASG demoted to being a support studio again.

Topher

Gold Member
Just look at this page alone, half of the people here are praising the game somehow.

"Half the people" on one page, even if true, does not consist of the "board". Somehow suggesting this game is being getting positive feedback overall unlike Ubisoft or Redfall is just nonsense.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
We need some new definitions man

• Remaster - Upscale of Res/Textures/Geometry, fix animations if needed, new effects etc etc....the same game just prettier.
  • Reremaster - Whatever this shit is.
  • Remake - RE2R type stuff where its effectively a whole new game in the same setting

This is a remaster not a remake in my books.
Im still gonna get the PC version cuz I didnt play the Remastered version.
But i still think charging full price is a bit of a tall order.
I call this a remaster 2.0

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't feel like watching Cuckman. Can somebody please give me a TL;DW on the actual gameplay aspects of this remake?

Top Bottom