• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

EruditeHobo

ND should move on...I think after Part 2 they really killed any future the series has in terms of story. Just an awful way to continue the series. And yet Neil Druckmann thinks he's fucking Shakespeare or something after the "bold" decisions they made with it.

Seems like a pretty big majority of those in gaming disagree with you... so your advice is pretty terrible, in terms of "what ND should do". Pretty obviously they should keep doing whatever the hell they want, because all it does it create success for them left and right.

What you should do is move on; that's the action that makes sense in this situation.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU 1 was a new ip, TLoU2 is not, so sales are much more front loaded
TLOU 1 had a ton of bundles ever since 2014. It wouldn't sniff 20 million without them.

TLOU2 will never come close to TLOU1 sales
It's currently more than halfway there and this is before the director's cut, PC release, and bundles.

It will no doubt reach 20 million.

EDMIX

TLOU2 will never come close to TLOU1 sales

? That doesn't make any sense cause they are at half the sales in fraction of the time it took for Part 1 to reach 20 though.

All this before a remaster and before a PC version and before Part 3. So maybe we can argue this if a game sells less in 2 years, then another game did in 2 years, but this game is fucking selling FASTER then The Last Of Us 1 with less versions.......sooooooo yea. That sounds like some massive desperation James lol

Like some wild delusion of not being able to get over this games success lol

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Please stop using the word scam, you don't seem to have any fucking idea what it means.

A "scam" isn't something where everything is presented to you in a "here's exactly what you're getting, and for this exact price" kind of way. So just say you're broke or cheap or angry or whatever, because calling it a scam makes you borderline trolling.

Fortunately and thank God, I am not in the situation you mention. I'm not even mad, are you mad?

? That doesn't make any sense cause they are at half the sales in fraction of the time it took for Part 1 to reach 20 though.

All this before a remaster and before a PC version and before Part 3. So maybe we can argue this if a game sells less in 2 years, then another game did in 2 years, but this game is fucking selling FASTER then The Last Of Us 1 with less versions.......sooooooo yea. That sounds like some massive desperation James lol

Because the sales are more front loaded.

It won’t have the long tail TLOU1 did

Seems like a pretty big majority of those in gaming disagree with you... so your advice is pretty terrible, in terms of "what ND should do". Pretty obviously they should keep doing whatever the hell they want, because all it does it create success for them left and right.

What you should do is move on; that's the action that makes sense in this situation.

No, it’s pretty obvious tlou2 had massive backlash and was widely divisive

Is the game a failure? Depends on what your expectations were. It didn’t bomb, but it didn’t grow the series

EDMIX

Because the sales are more front loaded.

It won’t have the long tail TLOU1 did

Unless you can predict the future bud, you simply don't know that. Even the bullshit of it didn't grow the series, you wouldn't fucking know that 2 years into The Last Of Us 1, how the fuck did you come to that conclusion in 2 years with 2 even with more sales in a shorter time frame? DForce DForce don't worry, he'll have a spin for that in a bit lol

As it stands. The game is moving more units then the first did faster with less versions.
We've NEVER applied such a fucking stupid standard before regarding a game's sales to be saying some weird shit like this.

Add to ignore, you can't be this fucking desperate to keep spinning such bullshit man. You are going to need to deal with that one man.
Have a good one.

Last edited:
Unless you can predict the future bud, you simply don't know that. Even the bullshit of it didn't grow the series, you wouldn't fucking know that 2 years into The Last Of Us 1, how the fuck did you come to that conclusion in 2 years with 2 even with more sales in a shorter time frame? DForce DForce don't worry, he'll have a spin for that in a bit lol

As it stands. The game is moving more units then the first did faster with less versions.
We've NEVER applied such a fucking stupid standard before regarding a game's sales to be saying some weird shit like this.

Add to ignore, you can't be this fucking desperate to keep spinning such bullshit man. You are going to need to deal with that one man.
Have a good one.

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

EDMIX

Why are you ignoring bundles?

People like this have their own bias and reading a lot of his comments, he already has a personal issue with the title, thus anything being stated about sales or bundles or anything like that should be ignored. Right when you add in all this personal shit to it, it makes it hard to believe really anything they are saying going forward.

It would be like me saying COD failed and you read my comment history and its like "CALL OF DUTY IS THE DEVIL" (starts citing verses) lol

Oh yea, let me show you some Youtube downvotez BROZ, the series is on da last LEGS, 25 million is a flop, day wanted 35 million.

At 20 million sales, its clear the series i DONEZ OVAZ lol

sendit

It's not about spending money foolishly either.

This is about justifying the cost of effort, and if we deliberately buy products with little effort, companies will get used to continuing to scam their followers.

Gaming is a foolish hobby that has absolutely no monetary return in investment (unless you have some rare golden zelda cartridge). What point are you trying to make?

Soccer Waiting GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Imagine the topics and excuses if the game hits #1, since it's an unnecessary remake no one cares about, lmao.
I'm sure the list is already worked on.
That’s not the point. Is an unnecessary remake that nobody wants, but is gonna sell well. People buys lot's of stuff they don't need or asked. Hopefully don't sell enough

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People like this have their own bias and reading a lot of his comments, he already has a personal issue with the title, thus anything being stated about sales or bundles or anything like that should be ignored. Right when you add in all this personal shit to it, it makes it hard to believe really anything they are saying going forward.

It would be like me saying COD failed and you read my comment history and its like "CALL OF DUTY IS THE DEVIL" (starts citing verses) lol

Oh yea, let me show you some Youtube downvotez BROZ, the series is on da last LEGS, 25 million is a flop, day wanted 35 million.

At 20 million sales, its clear the series i DONEZ OVAZ lol
If TLOU game releases on PC and PS5, then I know we're going to see a lot of excuses from people. They always move the goalpost.

sendit

That’s not the point. Is an unnecessary remake that nobody wants, but is gonna sell well. People buys lot's of stuff they don't need or asked. Hopefully don't sell enough

Agreed. If nobody wants it, why would it sell? According to this thread, this game/scam should sell exactly 0 copies. Hoping for the worse outcome here.

Last edited:

EDMIX

nobody wants, but is gonna sell well.

smh. Some of you need some help man.

You need to get over that most don't really agree with a lot of this shit and what I've seen most fans say, rarely fits the majority. Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Battlefront, any of the Resident Evil remakes, all that shit should have failed using fanboy logic.

You got to just let that shit go man. People buy lots of stuff yes.....it selling well is more likely then not and I see no reason to then hope it doesn't sell well or enough JUST cause you disagree. Its a level of bitterness and this weird juvenile behavior in gaming that is a bit exaggerative and over the top.

Even me as a fan of this series, who was going to get it DAY 1, decided against it when I read it didn't have prone and a few features I wanted. Sucks, but it happens and I'll get it used later down the line if I even get it at all...what I don't do is pretend "nobody wants it" and hope it doesn't sell. This shit needs to stop in the community. You don't see me in Call Of Duty threads hoping the game doesn't sell enough, telling them nobody wants it and say something like "People buys lot's of stuff they don't need or asked." trying to dismiss someone genuinely wanting something I dislike.

None of us need to buy games, its not life or death. Stop trying to attack or dismiss gamers cause they disagree with you. If I can accept anyone buying some shit I don't like and know they bought it cause the want to play it, I'm sure you can to man.

It’s this going to be 1440p as well? Lmfao if so
According to DF pixel counting YES! Which is not surprising seeing how UC4 remaster was only 1440p as well.

Like someone else recently said: I would've been perfectly happy dropping $70 on this if they had actually made it look next gen. They had ONE Job! It's just another huge disappointment on the growing ledger of this "next gen" ps5/series x era.

There is a pattern here guys where it starts out as "well at least we can expect some awesome next gen game coming our way from such lauded studios/pubs/the Naughty Dogs/Santa monica/343 (who at least had a pedigree for great visuals)/Polyphony with gt7 visually underwhelming/Guerilla games screwing up performance mode with FW/ fromsoft with performance of elden ring which still can't run smoothly on next gen ...etc etc

All "no WAY will they mess this up" or "no WAY will this be cross gen" but then it's consistently underdelivering from what one would have expected.

Seems Insomniac is the ONLY studio that has gone ABOVE expectations.

My hypothesis is this: Ambition has tanked from the top down in recent years as the demand and appetite of gamers to pay for sub par efforts is higher than ever. The STANDARDS have dropped. You can see it here on this forumn because of how many people are content with Part 1 looking like a ps4 pro game. People are almost offended that some of us would want this to look like a proper next gen game and have the audacity to complain about it.

What is a "proper next gen game" then you ask? Well it's demonstrable. In this case it's got to be significantly better looking than Part 2, right? It ain't what they're trying to claim it is. Part 2 is a ps4 pro game. We're on ps5 now ...almost 2 years into ps5 ..same developer, two years to improve their tools and engine and on hardware 2-3 x better than ps4 pro ..

Last edited:

skneogaf

Pc version will save this game as I'll finally be able to mod the game by replacing old man Joel with beautiful Abby and annoying Ellie with the very brave Lev.

Dreams can come true!

Stooky

brought to you by the people that said Tlou 2 wouldn't sell........10 million + sold later.......

Last edited:

EDMIX

Here are Amazon's top selling PS4 games. If the TLOU2 is so front loaded then what is it doing still in the top five?

ok, but Amazon is a small company, no one shops there. /s

Dorohedoro

Actually it's a PS3 game at heart... it has a PS4 port that was labeled "remake" for some @#$#@$ reason.

I think that there should be a PS4 version, lower resolution, a bit lower quality assets, shadows, 30fps cap, lower quality resolution, etc. the environment are already limited in scope to work on PS3 level HW. That should work... I don't work for ND, but like previous PS5 "exclusives" that ended up being released on PS4 I think this one should.

Well, it's internet... people like drama, and the scene was built to be emotional.

Yes, obviously... I don't think it's even close to be a simple port, new models, updated engine, etc. However, I have doubt when they talk about enhanced animations, at least not all of them.

Loop Waiting GIF

Obviously the OG on PS4/pro at 60fps is still a great game... This is not a bad game and I think that the gameplay "enhancements" will be tweaks at best. Nobody would bat an eye if a game was released with the original control scheme today.
Y'know I was gonna say PS3 game at heart but I was being generous lol. Agreed it should've just been another crossgen title like Ragnarok and Forbidden West. I know a lot of people hate crossgen but it makes perfect sense with this one, because it's clearly PS4 material and nowhere near as ambitious enough for anyone to declare they're holding the game back by not being PS5 exclusive. But I guess Sony expects it to be a system seller.

EruditeHobo

Fortunately and thank God, I am not in the situation you mention. I'm not even mad...

I'm simply requesting you stop using words which really obviously don't apply... make an argument, but when you call it a scam you undercut your own intelligence.

No, it’s pretty obvious tlou2 had massive backlash and was widely divisive

Is the game a failure? Depends on what your expectations were. It didn’t bomb, but it didn’t grow the series

10M+ sales, tons of GOTY awards. It is very clearly a success, and "not growing the series" isn't the metric for success for anyone apart from those being incredibly selective, and with a painfully obvious agenda.

You say it's divisive... do you have any idea how much the devs knew it would be divisive? It's obviously divisive... it being divisive is at least part of the point. I don't know if you've ever worked at a dev studio on a popular series, but TLOU2 doesn't even get made if the devs were at all concerned about being "divisive". The whole point is that they did release a divisive ballsy game, and it still went on the be a very big financial and critical success. Carefully cultivated talking points which ignore this obvious reality are frankly embarrassing.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I'm simply requesting you stop using words which really obviously don't apply... make an argument, but when you call it a scam you undercut your own intelligence.

10M+ sales, tons of GOTY awards. It is very clearly a success, and "not growing the series" isn't the metric for success for anyone apart from those being incredibly selective, and with a painfully obvious agenda.

You say it's divisive... do you have any idea how much the devs knew it would be divisive? It's obviously divisive... it being divisive is at least part of the point. I don't know if you've ever worked at a dev studio on a popular series, but TLOU2 doesn't even get made if the devs were at all concerned about being "divisive". The whole point is that they did release a divisive ballsy game, and it still went on the be a very big financial and critical success. Carefully cultivated talking points which ignore this obvious reality are frankly embarrassing.
They increased you 10 dollars more for a ps5 video game, don't you consider it a robbery?

EDMIX

They increased you 10 dollars more for a ps5 video game, don't you consider it a robbery?

No.

No one needs to buy this, no one stole anything, no scam was made and its ok to disagree, but I don't see the point in trying to make it sound like something unlawful occured. I myself am no longer buying it day 1 and it remains to be seen if I buy it at all, but I don't go around saying "scam" or "robbery" etc. No one is lying to you regarding this product by Sony, no one is forcing you to buy it, no one is doing anything that we can put under scam or robbery.

There is no reason for the community to exaggerate like this man. There is no "increase" cause they never made this remake, sold it for 59.99 and then was like "ohhh yea surprise its 69.99" when you look in your bank account or something, then shit we have a scam, we have a robbery and we have a increase. Until that exact thing happens, this is just sensationalism and being dramatic and trying to force some term based on not liking the price.

...ima start saying McChickens being 1.39 is not only a scam, its a robbery of the highway variety lol They out here pulling McScams! lol

Again, I am not claiming TLOU2 is a failure. It was well received (despite being extremely divisive). But is it an outstanding success? At best, it matched TLOU. Maybe that's enough, but I have to imagine ND would have liked to grow the series. So it can be both a success and a disappointment in some key areas.

Clearly the divisive direction they took was intentional. But make no mistake - it wasn't really ballsy as much as it was overly pretentious and up its own ass. As if there was no other way to make TLOU2 impactful without dividing the game into two halves, resetting all progress, introducing a bunch of worthless characters that had almost zero charm or appeal, and killing off the series' main protagonist, and making some overly lengthy but superficial tale about "revenge" that totally jumps the shark in an unrealistic way between Abbie and Ellie. It became comical at the end how bloated TLOU2 was, and not in a good way.

Is it still a good game? I mean, yeah, I enjoyed my first playthrough. Not really itching to go back at all, and I don't think it did anything truly meaningful to push the series forward from a narrative, gameplay, or sales standpoint. So to me, and MANY others, it's a disappointment.

Heimdall_Xtreme

No.

No one needs to buy this, no one stole anything, no scam was made and its ok to disagree, but I don't see the point in trying to make it sound like something unlawful occured. I myself am no longer buying it day 1 and it remains to be seen if I buy it at all, but I don't go around saying "scam" or "robbery" etc. No one is lying to you regarding this product by Sony, no one is forcing you to buy it, no one is doing anything that we can put under scam or robbery.

There is no reason for the community to exaggerate like this man. There is no "increase" cause they never made this remake, sold it for 59.99 and then was like "ohhh yea surprise its 69.99" when you look in your bank account or something, then shit we have a scam, we have a robbery and we have a increase. Until that exact thing happens, this is just sensationalism and being dramatic and trying to force some term based on not liking the price.

...ima start saying McChickens being 1.39 is not only a scam, its a robbery of the highway variety lol They out here pulling McScams! lol

Ok ok... just because you're a friend, I accept your answer :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_peace:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's a shame that they took over the project after shipping TLOU2 in May 2020 AFTER the Unreal Engine 5 demo had been revealed, and still didnt take advantage of next gen hardware. Epic made this entire demo before TLOU2 ever came out. ND shouldve looked at that and said, THIS is what we have to beat. ND chose instead to target last gen.

If you're taking over the fledgling project from a support studio, you cant just help it limp over the finish line. You reboot it, rebuild it, and make it look next gen instead of simply telling us its next gen. I am not buying this excuse that they simply took over a project and it was too late to make changes.

ND is a very productive studio. They made TLOU2 in just 2 years and 8 months after shipping Lost Legacy which itself took just 1 year and 2 months for its 8 hour campaign with a brand new storyline, mocap, boss fights and setpieces. TLOU2 is twice as long as TLOU at 30 hours, with 3x-5x more levels, boss fights, setpieces and encounters than TLOU1. So why is it that simply recreating assets and reanimating facial animations (last gen ones at that) took 2 years AFTER they took the project? What happened here? And why couldnt they simply use next gen assets? I know they use the Quixxel library Epic bought and made available to all UE4 and UE5 users, so why not just grab next gen assets instead of using last gen? You are redrawing them anyway. Was adding a new lighting engine really that time consuming? This wouldve been the perfect game to test next gen waters. Gameplay was done, mocap was done, story was done, all they needed to do was revamp the lighting and texture data. Just what the hell happened here?

giphy.gif
revisiting that demo now, it still looks more impressive than the matrix demo if i'm being honest.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The constant push for woke-ism by most Western countries/media is starting to grate. At least in my humble opinion.

Enough is enough. Treat the LGBT community like equals, not some special needs demographic/minority.
... they are being treated as equals. this isn't like some dumb retcon where the writers decided last second to make her gay, she was always gay. She was just written the way you wanted, where it wasn't the main thing about her character.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You mean like with dualsense, accessibility and SSD features? Or maybe VR? Seems like Sony is doing its bit from where I’m sitting. I wouldn’t let the release of this one remake cloud your judgement.
This thread is about the TLOU remake not about Playstation as a whole.

DS,SSD and accessibility features are more QoL improvements and can be added to last gen games rather easily (TLOU2 + UC4 Collection).

Most gamers expect more then these things for a new generation, otherwise why not just do a PS4 pro 2.
Things like more geometry, realtime Gi, RT reflections and higher quality effects.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I was a big fan of TLOU1 both the PS3 version and the remaster.
I just think this is a bad decision from sony.
A remake of this calibre has a rather limited market of newcomers.

I actually think if sony charged like £10 for this version of a remake and made ot cross gen they would make similar money because more people would get it.

If you're going to make it PS5 only, show why besides QoL improvements.
I want to see current gen geometry,particles and effects on current gen games not just fps+res boosts.

One of the few reasonable takes around here. I agree with the bolded, and while they talked about some of these aspects, the trailer didn't go far enough in demonstrating, and I'm sure ND knows that. For now, their word ("It will take a while for current gen games to catch up to TLOU Remake") is good enough for me, and this is primarily due to Naughty Dog's stellar track record in pushing the medium forward from a tech perspective. It is just an issue of Sony's marketing approach and timing.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
One of the few reasonable takes around here. I agree with the bolded, and while they talked about some of these aspects, the trailer didn't go far enough in demonstrating, and I'm sure ND knows that. For now, their word ("It will take a while for current gen games to catch up to TLOU Remake") is good enough for me, and this is primarily due to Naughty Dog's stellar track record in pushing the medium forward from a tech perspective. It is just an issue of Sony's marketing approach and timing.

They actually said this?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m personally ZERO interest in this but is not like anyone is forcing people to buy this.

I assume most who are fan of this game are full grown adults, they can make their own decisions about if this remake/remaster? is worth it or not.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That’s funny, considering numerous games look better than this remake (horizon, ratchet, demons souls, etc). I was more impressed with Spider Man miles morales and all that ray tracing as well

They really are hyping this up to be some kind of landmark achievement when it’s really not. I don’t see how it looks any better than tlou2

Well this makes me think you haven't played TLOU2 in a while. These are all my 4k captures from cutscenes.

qvwixZ1.jpg
Gt961yV.jpg
dJy9w6u.jpg
3Ci976d.jpg

VS.

Bmvaf9l.jpg
UG6dvO4.jpg

FPxgMEa.png

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Good for you. That said, people seem to love FH5 dlc, As Dusk Falls. Pentiment is super promising and we, Grounded fans, can’t wait for 1.0
Maybe you should check the numbers before saying that. I just did and As Dusk Falls is at the end of page 8 on Xbox so about #900 and the Steam concurrent users are very low. Like lower than 200.

Every single achievement you unlock is also a "rare achievement", even early ones. That means a big majority of GP users dropped it at the beginning without unlocking anything.

Roberts

Maybe you should check the numbers before saying that. I just did and As Dusk Falls is at the end of page 8 on Xbox so about #900 and the Steam concurrent users are very low. Like lower than 200.

Every single achievement you unlock is also a "rare achievement", even early ones. That means a big majority of GP users dropped it at the beginning without unlocking anything.

I am one of them. It is clearly a niche game and I should have mentioned that people on GAF are enjoying it, even sceptics - check that thread. But I digress…

I think the biggest gain of releasing TLOU again is that there are a ton of kids who were too young for it even when the remaster came out.

Fredrik

Have a good one.
Stop trying to attack or dismiss gamers cause they disagree with you.
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

dDoc

Still don’t understand how having a lesbian lead character is “special treatment”. Is anything other than a white straight male lead “woke”?

It's more apparent in TLoU2 rather than 1. There are many "subtle" hints in that game.

I have the Platinum for Part 2.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Games just sold less in the ps3 era, and early ps4.

We also need to know the budget, the budget of 2 will have easily been well over double the budget one part one. Only Sony would know if its an success to them.

I think part 2 should be on 15 to 16 million, or whatever God of war is at to be truly considered success. If its tracking god of war 2018 numbers then everything's cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom