• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 is now the 3rd most GOTY awards winner of all time. Let's see the top 10.

Woman7

Banned
Most of these attributes aren't necessary to make a great game.
You could make a great game without a story, without great graphics, without combat , without level set pieces.

This isn't how you should judge a game IMHO.

Look at Katamari Damacy , Overcooked, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, none of these games have these attributes but they are all great.
The push toward Cinematic experience is narrowing what is being considered to be "great games" and it's bullshit.

Great post, and quoted for all the 'naughty dog gods woo woo' boyz in here:

charlie hunnam fight GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People keep saying single player games are floundering but there is no evidence to suggest that.

Single player games are floundering the way Marvel movies are floundering.

Commercially successful. Creatively bankrupt.

Multiplayer is where the creative juice is at in the gaming industry. It's where the creative excitement is.

Vidraino

Neo Member
TLOU2 had good gameplay and graphics, everything else sucked and was a slog. Especially coming from part 1. The story took a wildly random path not even remotely relative to the first game and was packed with forced political correctness and ideals. I don't mind political correctness, but when it's forced in and so blatant, it breaks the immersion.

Shmunter

There will always be strong bias for these attributes from journalists as its closer to their profession.
I've never seen a puzzle game or game with amazing gameplay and nothing else, top these charts.
Journalists tastes aren’t fring tho. Many of us consider the same attributes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Thats only true for the AAA market. Loads of new, interesting and creative stuff among indies and AAs

We're generally talking about bigger budget projects when it comes to GotY awards.

There's certainly more creativity in the indie space, but look at the list found in the OP. The market skews heavily towards big production values.

sainraja

You could make a great game without a story, without great graphics, without combat , without level set pieces.

Look at Katamari Damacy , Overcooked, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, none of these games have these attributes but they are all great.
The push toward Cinematic experience is narrowing what is being considered to be "great games" and it's bullshit.
That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it. Good tight animation system along with good characters + voice acting helps add a lot to a game and those are not aspects that should now be considered only for movies. Those aspects apply to gaming also.

The thing is this game is super polarized, if there is a record for most disappointed games of the year or most hated game of the year, last of us 2 will likely be top 5 for the most disappointed game of the year of all time.
Lol just no. You think that small minority of haters is bigger than it really is. There are so many far worse games that were hyped up and came out shitty that would make that top 5.

sainraja

I'm not saying they are movies...the game awards seem to gravitate towards cinematic games instead of game games.

comedy central GIF by Another Period
What do we consider to be game games? What does that mean anyway and should it even mean something? A game's definition should not be defined by the absence of elements.

I personally don't think it is fair to categorize Uncharted, Last of Us as cinematic games. What i mean to say is, I don't like what that implies. Before Uncharted, we had God of War and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time; both games were linear, focused on story & characters but would not be considered cinematic — Uncharted pretty much adopted that same formula but focused more on character development and a tight animation system so it doesn't feel off.

TLOU2 is taking that top spot for sure. It's only a little over 20 awards away now and there is still plenty of them to come. Only question now is just how high of a bar does it set for any future games to take the crown.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Multiplayer games aren't inherently "more played" than single player games. We all played Evolve. We all played Anthem. We all played The Avengers.

Good games are inherently more played than bad games.

The best games in the industry over the last 10 years just happen to be from the multiplayer side. Single player has been floundering for quite a while. It's stagnation is in desperate need of innovation.
You used the most played Xbox Games as proof.

The majority were multiplayer games. It still doesn't change the fact that single player games has less replay value than multiplayer games because that's how the games were designed.

What you posted wasn't proof. It only shows what are some of the most popular multiplayer games are.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm not saying they are movies...the game awards seem to gravitate towards cinematic games instead of game games.

comedy central GIF by Another Period

It's sad that we live in a time when games like God of War 2018 can't even be considered games anymore. :pie_confused:

I just made a whole thread expanding on what i've said in here.

I am sorry but it's simply misleading to compare tlou2's count from a different polling website

I'll use the new site thanks. The problem with that old one is that they change up which awards they list every year. One year they'll count an award from a site and the next year they won't with no reason given. It is so inconsistent. I'd rather use the new site which doesn't leave out awards for some unknown reason.

THEAP99

Banned
I'll use the new site thanks. The problem with that old one is that they change up which awards they list every year. One year they'll count an award from a site and the next year they won't with no reason given. It is so inconsistent. I'd rather use the new site which doesn't leave out awards for some unknown reason.
I think new site is better too. But for past years, they used the same count as the other site.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah Naughty Dog is insane. No idea how they do it, but they definitely are the best studio out there and Playstation can be thankful to have them. Kind of the first thing you think about when you think about Playstation exclusives and one of the main reasons I buy a Playstation console.
Though I would still like it more if they were multiplat so more people could get to enjoy the masterpieces, but thankfully Naughty Dog has the most talented people in the industry so the games always run beautifully on the Playstation consoles.

And in a few years we will get to see what we can expect from them for the PS5! Super excited for it
They're definitely at the top when it comes to talent and their collection of great games is crazy going all the way back to Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Not true. They added awards for 2019 along with 2018 and 2017 I believe.
I just briefly looked into comparison for years. 2015 and 2018 are awfully close together. Minus like 5-10 awards. That's fine. But clearly right now there's a huge gap and I don't think things can be said for certain yet

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
How could a borefest like UC4 win so many GOTY awards lmao

Before someone calls me a hater, I think the awards for UC2 are mostly justified.
UC4 was the 1st game I played on my PS4 and I never got bored with it. I have around 7 playthroughs of it

Multiplayer games aren't inherently "more played" than single player games. We all played Evolve. We all played Anthem. We all played The Avengers.

Good games are inherently more played than bad games.

The best games in the industry over the last 10 years just happen to be from the multiplayer side. Single player has been floundering for quite a while. It's stagnation is in desperate need of innovation.

Man you still on with these trash views lmao

I'll play COD or Battlefield on a regularly basis but fuck no would I put them above single player games just because I see the latter as one and done experiences.

Multiplayer games are comparable to junk food. Just gotta induldge in it every now and then.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
TLOU2 had good gameplay and graphics, everything else sucked and was a slog. Especially coming from part 1. The story took a wildly random path not even remotely relative to the first game and was packed with forced political correctness and ideals. I don't mind political correctness, but when it's forced in and so blatant, it breaks the immersion.
I don't think it's too much political correct. But definitely it's filled of rethoric. Now I haven't nothing against it BUT write the whole story around the morality imo it's not a good way to handle a subject. A lot of the actions of the protagonists are completely illogical and irritating furthermore it hasn't a real narrative plot. I mean what is it the fucking story? It's all built around the Ellie revenge and the Abby redeem, but it definitely hasn't a good montage and barely care to appeal the vewiers; the events are convulse, schizophrenic and like the fuck is the point of such story outside give a big lesson of morality? I find the whole narrative barely entertaining, that's the major issue about it. Because the gameplay was fun but the story it's irritating most of times and a massive kick for my balls.

Last edited:
Another reason is if a site included all years in GOTYPICK blog and this year post their goty or reader`s choice results on youtuber, twitter, instagram whatever and don't make a article the blog will simple ignore it, like WTF? What its matter if don't has a article? Just post the link to the results, the new blog add where the site publish, and of course GOTYPicks this year has already not included sites included in others years, where the new blog its included.
Part II will pass The Witcher 3 for sure.
What forced political correctness?

Last edited:
Never seen so many make a quick dash to run damage control for a game that disrupted the “true gamers” narrative lol. That being said, I preferred Ghost and other games more than TLoU2, but it absolutely deserves the awards.

Uh you must not know how to read. It was one spot higher in the US digital store sales. TLOU2 was in the top 10 in EU while Ghost wasn't. TLOU2 also sold far better at retail in the US and other regions. Not sure why you brought this up in here but you really made yourself look stupid.
The EU is #6 in the gaming market. How'd it do in Asian markets, little Einstein?

Madflavor

All this list does is emphasize why someday the gaming industry needs it's "Best Picture" equivalent. Game of the Year doesn't really mean anything when you got 200-300 different outlets and youtubers giving out a "GoTY!" award. People have their favorite film of the year, but there's only one film each year that can claim the title "Best Picture".

Jesus Christ what happened to you in your life that lead you to be the person who makes these kind of posts on the internet?

Is this your very first day on the internet? Oh, you sweet summer child. You are in for quite the shock. Please refrain from viewing Youtube or Twitter for at least a month while you become acclimated to this wonderful, new to you digital world. My post, with a first paragraph that was clearly joking, suggests I have suffered some sort of abuse or long term mental suffering? It's reassuring esteemed members of the psychological field such as yourself are posters here. But fret not, little one, for I am quite well indeed.

Or are you one of the people I have on Ignore and this is a burner account?

Games are complex forms of media now so they'll be judged as such

Doesn't detract from the experiences you get from those games, but the accomplishments from games like TLOU are simply more impressive

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
I just realized "Game of the Year" doesn't really mean anything. I mean every year when it comes to film, you have the Best Picture award from the Oscars, which is THE award, and then maybe you can consider the Golden Globes since they're reputable and have enough of a history. But that's really it. Gaming doesn't have that equivalent. You've got the VGAs as the closest thing to it, but unlike film fans who watch the Oscars, gamers only watch the VGAs for trailers. So what you end up getting is a couple of hundred jerkoffs sounding off their Game of the Year, and then studios publically stroking themselves going "Wow guys! The Last of Us 2 won all these GotY awards!".

It's fucking embarrassing.
Crab Nicholson Game of The Year Edition

ironmang

I just realized "Game of the Year" doesn't really mean anything. I mean every year when it comes to film, you have the Best Picture award from the Oscars, which is THE award, and then maybe you can consider the Golden Globes since they're reputable and have enough of a history. But that's really it. Gaming doesn't have that equivalent. You've got the VGAs as the closest thing to it, but unlike film fans who watch the Oscars, gamers only watch the VGAs for trailers. So what you end up getting is a couple of hundred jerkoffs sounding off their Game of the Year, and then studios publically stroking themselves going "Wow guys! The Last of Us 2 won all these GotY awards!".

It's fucking embarrassing.
Much of the appeal of the Oscars is the spectacle with all the famous people and the 100 year history. Gamers really don't care about the personalities in the industry on that level. It's a lot more plausible that Oscar voters have watched every movie that hit theaters whereas game award voters may only play games on 1 platform and/or skip entire genres.

evanft

Is this your very first day on the internet? Oh, you sweet summer child. You are in for quite the shock. Please refrain from viewing Youtube or Twitter for at least a month while you become acclimated to this wonderful, new to you digital world. My post, with a first paragraph that was clearly joking, suggests I have suffered some sort of abuse or long term mental suffering? It's reassuring esteemed members of the psychological field such as yourself are posters here. But fret not, little one, for I am quite well indeed.

Or are you one of the people I have on Ignore and this is a burner account?
Jesus Christ what happened to you in your life that lead you to be the person who makes these kind of posts on the internet?

Azurro

Banned
Given the political climate, TLOU2 was always going to win a lot of Game of the year awards, this isn't new.

All you need to get one of those is add a few rainbow people of constantly changing sexuality, talk about how oppressed they are and boom, 10/10.

Ballthyrm

Games are complex forms of media now so they'll be judged as such

Doesn't detract from the experiences you get from those games, but the accomplishments from games like TLOU are simply more impressive

Yes on your first point.
Agree to disagree on the second.

Novel gameplay ideas and systems that really work impress me more than all the graphical fidelity in the world.
It's okay, video games don't have to fill the same needs for everyone.

Given the political climate, TLOU2 was always going to win a lot of Game of the year awards, this isn't new.

All you need to get one of those is add a few rainbow people of constantly changing sexuality, talk about how oppressed they are and boom, 10/10.
It was going to win GOTY awards because every game from Naughty Dog has been doing it since Uncharted 2 in 2009. They're one of the best in the biz. Simple as that.

Top Bottom