• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

250+ game developers, journalists, and media personalities make a list of the top 100 games of all time

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Metnut

List is already obsolete with Zelda TOTK coming out. Feel bad they spend so much time on it.

Last edited:
Uncharted 2 not in the top 20? HAH!!! What a complete joke.

It sent Naughty Dog into the stratosphere and influenced every third person shooter from then on out.

Mozzarella

I saw this on multiple websites, i was surprised it wasn't on NeoGaf, but here we see it with the same seething, honestly, its hilarious how everybody is mad about this list, well then create your list lol.
I have my gripes with this list but im not going to sit crying and complaining how these journalists and devs have different taste from me, i guarantee everybody who makes top 100 is going to be met with the same thing, ask any seething person over the internet to make their top 100 list instead and its going to be the same shit, so instead of whining over the list, treat it as some sort of prestigious recommendation list and move on, and if you consider it that, its actually a pretty good list.

Lol, didn't notice The Witcher 3 there. Yeah, TLOU definitely has better gameplay than that. I thought it was BOTW, Tetris, Bloodborne, TLOU, not realizing this was 4 games, not 5.
In what way it has better gameplay? Witcher 3 has more tools, mechanics and enemy variety and bosses, it also has an engaging card minigame, TLOU gunplay is mediocre at best and the enemy A.I aged poorly and it also has the same type of 3-4 enemies the whole game. Can you explain?
I feel these kind of comments are made by inexperienced gamers, you probably played Fromsoft games and decided Witcher 3 gameplay is trash, but you never played Gears of War 2, Vanquish, MGS 5, Resident Evil 4 or Max Payne 3 so you decided TLOU gameplay is alright. Just when you compare Witcher 3 with DMC3, Dogma and Fromsoft games, you can do the same for TLOU, Persona, Yakuza and Bioshock, basically any story driven game is going to look mediocre in terms of gameplay when you put its against a gameplay/mechanics driven game (Vanquish, XCOM, God Hand, Doom) respectively.

that’s a horrible list. It’s a good list of games in the last 10 years but not all time.
I would rather have journalist post their Honest lists instead of posting old games where they Pretend to love the games.

"We asked the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers and more to help us crown the best games of all time"

No buddy. Being willing to go along with your listicle doesn't make them the "greatest."

Not a single Japanese developer was included in the vote, and the author goes

Sure. if you ask Nintendo, Miyamoto won't vote for your listicle, but you went quite deep into the small/indie for the west. I can guarantee I could find 10 developers from Japan comparable to some of the names you included for the west willing to answer in a day. 🤔

One of the worst things to happen to gaming is when the mainstream press sniffed the money and decided to start writing trash about gaming.

I would love it if they can get Japanese devs and journalists to participate but they declined, also lets not kid ourselves, i hear this all the time, but Japanese journalists are incredibly biased, they would post top 100 games with 97 Japanese games, remember that list that a Japanese magazine published a year ago, it was very JRPG/Zelda centric, it barely had games made outside of Japan, users all over the internet are playing victim over this list being western biased when its clearly the most objective and unbiased list you can get from a media outlet lol.

Two Bioshock games but no sign of System Shock 2?
Yeah i agree with you, System Shock 2 absolutely should have been here, but lets face the facts, CRPGS and old PC classic are not going to be mentioned, its clear most journalists are console centric players, and games like these are not going to make it, JRPG fanbase usually points at their games for being oppressed by the LE journalists, but Crpg and old PC classic/Strategy games like Total War have never seen the light of the day in terms of awards or recognition or even lists, they always get shoved aside.
I think when you understand how video game industry works with journalism and modern developers you will understand how these lists came to be, how they tend to be made. Its alright, after all this list of 100 games is legit a worthwhile list to explore, for someone who is new into games, you can refer them to this list and it will absolutely do the job.

Last edited:
I am surprised that they reserved space for a walking simulator, but had no shmups/run 'n guns included and the only racing game is a Mario Kart from Super Nintendo. Also, no hack 'n slash action titles, but three similar FromSoftware titles. Otherwise, if unranked, it is a relatively comprehensive composite of mainstream gaming articles.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
would love it if they can get Japanese devs and journalists to participate but they declined, also lets not kid ourselves, i hear this all the time, but Japanese journalists are incredibly biased, they would post top 100 games with 97 Japanese games, remember that list that a Japanese magazine published a year ago, it was very JRPG/Zelda centric, it barely had games made outside of Japan, users all over the internet are playing victim over this list being western biased when its clearly the most objective and unbiased list you can get from a media outlet lol.

Who declined? Again, if you ask Miyamoto, he's likely not gonna waste his time on your listicle. But my (rather deep) knowledge of the Japanese gaming industry tells me that the author absolutely did not go as deep into the smaller/indie scene in Japan as he did for the West. The fact that he did not find a single Japanese developer willing to answer his question tells me that he either did not ask the right people or simply did not put much effort into it because all he cared about were numbers and clickbait.

And let's not kid ourselves, Japan definitely isn't the only region missing or direly underrepresented. And when you claim that you "asked the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" you have no excuse. He set the expectation himself. The "world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" are simply not represented in that article.

You using Japanese lists as a counter to the valid criticism of this is simply a disingenuous excuse. None of these lists falsely claim to represent "the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers," hence, you're comparing apples to escalators.

Last edited:

Killer8

It's a solid list. Practically every game on there was at some point considered a genre defining masterpiece, so it's not too surprising to see some of these names aggregated into a greatest ever list. I'm surprised at the very negative reaction. There are literally tens of thousands of games out there, so I guess there is always going to be people buttmad that their favorite didn't make the cut. If you put me on a desert island and said these are the only games you can play, i'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Naaaaah, this list is shameful, lmao.

I can say that the top 20 could be a lot worse, but I don't agree with all the titles personally, or the order they're in. BotW as a #1 is insane to me, lol.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm surprised at the very negative reaction.

When you claim to represent "the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" and you simply don't, the negative reaction is unsurprising.

Hyperbole and hubris are the greatest invalidators.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Who declined? Again, if you ask Miyamoto, he's likely not gonna waste his time on your listicle. But my (rather deep) knowledge of the Japanese gaming industry tells me that the author absolutely did not go as deep into the smaller/indie scene in Japan as he did for the West. The fact that he did not find a single Japanese developer willing to answer his question tells me that he either did not ask the right people or simply did not put much effort into it because all he cared about were numbers and clickbait.

And let's not kid ourselves, Japan definitely isn't the only region missing or direly underrepresented. And when you claim that you "asked the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" you have no excuse. He set the expectation himself. The "world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" are simply not represented in that article.

You using Japanese lists as a counter to the valid criticism of this is simply a disingenuous excuse. None of these lists falsely claim to represent "the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers," hence, you're comparing apples to escalators.
I can't tell you who got invited, but the author claims to have asked Japanese devs and journalists and they declined, it probably has to do with their business model and culture. I have no idea you may be right that he didnt look deep enough, as i said i would love for more developers to be represented especially ones from Japan, but i can't get behind the victim cries that this list is western biased when this Japanese list from TV Asahi https://en.as.com/meristation/2022/01/14/news/1642199514_787334.html
was incredibly more biased than any Western list you can come up with, gamers or journalists made. In the end everyone is biased to certain degree.

As for the claim i wouldn't personally take it too seriously, its like you go buy a Protein shake powder and you complain that it wasn't the best because the containers claimed its the BEST in le world. its just probably marketing for clicks.

Markio128

I really enjoyed Disco Elysium, but I don’t think it belongs in the top 20 best games. I’d replace that with Divinity Original Sin. SF2 would be high on my list. I’d certainly have more classics like Sonic 1, Sensible Soccer, IK +, etc., in my personal top 20.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I can't tell you who got invited, but the author claims to have asked Japanese devs and journalists and they declined, it probably has to do with their business model and culture. I have no idea you may be right that he didnt look deep enough, as i said i would love for more developers to be represented especially ones from Japan, but i can't get behind the victim cries that this list is western biased when this Japanese list from TV Asahi https://en.as.com/meristation/2022/01/14/news/1642199514_787334.html
was incredibly more biased than any Western list you can come up with, gamers or journalists made. In the end everyone is biased to certain degree.

As for the claim i wouldn't personally take it too seriously, its like you go buy a Protein shake powder and you complain that it wasn't the best because the containers claimed its the BEST in le world. its just probably marketing for clicks.

You're continuing to compare apples to escalators to defend a listicle, which is pretty silly.

That list you cite does not claim to represent the greatest experts in the world, hence, it holds no responsibility to represent anything else than the market that was polled, which is the Japanese viewers of a Japanese TV.

This specific listicle explicitly, and falsely, claims to represent the best experts in the world in a variety of fields. "it's just marketing for clicks" is no justification. It's a false claim to oversell the article's relevance, plain and simple.

The author can claim whatever he wants, but I've worked with Japanese developers for over 20 years now. If he made an actual effort to contact any who weren't at the very top of the big publisher food chain, he'd have gotten responses. Zero doubt about that. He's asked plenty of small and indie developers in the west, so the disparity in effort is 100% present.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol Tetris 😂
I am so tired of seeing disco Elysium praised everywhere. If I wanted to read a book, I wouldn’t play a game… looks boring and pretentious.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Planescape Torment? Fallout 2? StarCraft??? Some insane omissions in this list.

Had he bothered to ask any Korean developers, Starcraft would 100% be there.

Japan certainly isn't the only relevant region missing in this list that claims to represent the "world's best." 😏

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe I'm just a hater, but I really think The Last of Us being as highly regarded as it is is kind of devastating for gaming. Like I'd rather have Uncharted 2 in its place. The fact that not a single Halo or GTA game isn't in the top 20 is super lame and makes me question the credibility of the people who took this poll.

Also both Dark Souls AND Bloodborne are in the top 10? Wth... and how is World of Warcraft not on this list? What about COD4 Modern Warfare? Bioshock?
I think uncharted 2 changed the industry but uc4 is such a better game if you replayed it all now. Uc2 is just a cover shooter essentially. Uc4 at least allows some mobility and story is incredible.

But tlou is there for a reason. If you were on gaf in 2013, it was crazy. About as crazy as when gta4 released. Incredible universal praise from everyone. Rare sight on gaf. Shame world forgot about gta4 and replaced it with shit5, we can’t do story or physics no more.

Fuz

Banned
top 20

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. The Last of Us
  3. Tetris
  4. Bloodborne
  5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  6. Mass Effect 2
  7. Metal Gear Solid
  8. Portal 2
  9. Dark Souls
  10. Half-Life 2
  11. Resident Evil 4
  12. Disco Elysium
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  14. Super Mario World
  15. Red Dead Redemption 2
  16. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
  17. Final Fantasy 7
  18. Super Mario 64
  19. DOOM
  20. Elden Ring
I expected retarded, but not this retarded.

Majority of "gaming journalists" have pretty narrow tastes to begin with.

Which they try to compensate with their oh so "radical" Tetris choice. I disagree with the other thread that ranted about Tetris not being worthy a top list, but it really irks me when it only shows up to validate a cookie cutter list that is overflowing with safe popular choices from the last two generations and little genre variety otherwise.

Last edited:

Killer8

When you claim to represent "the world's greatest game developers, streamers, directors, writers" and you simply don't, the negative reaction is unsurprising.

Hyperbole and hubris are the greatest invalidators.

The majority of the negative reaction is aimed at the list itself though ie. its contents and rankings, rather than the list being deceiving in some way. You're focusing on a very specific issue with the making of the list, whereas most posters are judging the list on its face value. Not saying you're wrong in any way, I actually agree it's not fully representative of who it says it is. But most of the negative reaction is because of the actual list, which is why i'm so puzzled since there are a massive amount of quality titles in it.

Batiman

Banned
Not a bad list. I’d switch OOT for BOTW. Switch Elden ring with bloodborne. TLOU should be switched with FF7 and the list is better.

zcaa0g

Banned
I would have like the poll to be limited to actual game designers. It's the media losers that are going to put low poly, blurry texture, low budget sound effects, broken weapons, boring "quests", 13 enemy BoTW at #1.

I think uncharted 2 changed the industry but uc4 is such a better game if you replayed it all now. Uc2 is just a cover shooter essentially. Uc4 at least allows some mobility and story is incredible.

But tlou is there for a reason. If you were on gaf in 2013, it was crazy. About as crazy as when gta4 released. Incredible universal praise from everyone. Rare sight on gaf. Shame world forgot about gta4 and replaced it with shit5, we can’t do story or physics no more.
I do need to play through Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3 kind of tired me out from the series but it's been a while since I've played Uncharted so may give it a try soon. Agree on GTA 4, for me it's the best GTA for reasons you mentioned

The Last of Us, probably just my personal taste, but at the time I was getting over the zombie fad like there were so many zombie games/movies/tv shows all coming out at once so to me the story was just generic but with a lot of Naughty Dog game polish

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The majority of the negative reaction is aimed at the list itself though ie. its contents and rankings, rather than the list being deceiving in some way. You're focusing on a very specific issue with the making of the list, whereas most posters are judging the list on its face value. Not saying you're wrong in any way, I actually agree it's not fully representative of who it says it is. But most of the negative reaction is because of the actual list, which is why i'm so puzzled since there are a massive amount of quality titles in it.

The problem is that the making of the list directly influences the list.

The mix of people they picked is very conducive toward having a list heavily leaning toward mainstream blockbusters and indie darlings that got a lot of press that are popular in North America, while entire genres that are more popular in other regions are completely ignored or extremely underrepresented.

The list is trash not because the games picked are bad, but because it uses an extremely regionalized sample to represent the world.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I do need to play through Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3 kind of tired me out from the series but it's been a while since I've played Uncharted so may give it a try soon. Agree on GTA 4, for me it's the best GTA for reasons you mentioned

The Last of Us, probably just my personal taste, but at the time I was getting over the zombie fad like there were so many zombie games/movies/tv shows all coming out at once so to me the story was just generic but with a lot of Naughty Dog game polish
Don’t want to overhype uncharted 4 to you but I will do just that.
I e just finished my… 6th replay and it’s an incredible game. Perfect on all fronts and the warmth it leaves me when credits roll… that ending oh my god. This is up there for me. It might even be my fav game.
I always finish this game late at night and the feeling this game leaves you with is something else.

Each time I want to make rttp thread about it. Oh and the graphics are still up there. Hardly anything looks better. The audio on headphones, pulse 3d and HDR? Insane.
This is why I play video games.

Now, ignore all I’ve said. With a recommendation like that, no game ever will live up to it lol. Sorry :p

LakeOf9

I would have like the poll to be limited to actual game designers. It's the media losers that are going to put low poly, blurry texture, low budget sound effects, broken weapons, boring "quests", 13 enemy BoTW at #1.
The same developers who don't stop gushing about BOTW and keep talking about how much of a masterpiece it is and how much it influenced their games?

Don’t want to overhype uncharted 4 to you but I will do just that.
I e just finished my… 6th replay and it’s an incredible game. Perfect on all fronts and the warmth it leaves me when credits roll… that ending oh my god. This is up there for me. It might even be my fav game.
I always finish this game late at night and the feeling this game leaves you with is something else.

Each time I want to make rttp thread about it. Oh and the graphics are still up there. Hardly anything looks better. The audio on headphones, pulse 3d and HDR? Insane.
This is why I play video games.

Now, ignore all I’ve said. With a recommendation like that, no game ever will live up to it lol. Sorry :p
Now you definitely have me hyped haha, going to play it this weekend

zcaa0g

Banned
The same developers who don't stop gushing about BOTW and keep talking about how much of a masterpiece it is and how much it influenced their games?

No, different developers. BoTW is for children or adults who lost the puberty battle. It's an embarrassment to the human race.

This is a list made by trend followers and littered with recency bias.

They left out every ps2 era god of war

Left out devil may cry and what it did for the action genre.

But yet they have fucking more modern hits like spelunky, hades, inside etc ahead if it. Yet no system shocks, Kingdom Hearts, etc

Dark souls isnt above half life 2, GTA III, snake eater, Majoras mask either, thats that FROM recent trend hopping BS.

Disrespectful list tbh lol

Top Bottom