• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Awards Tracker 2020 Disscussion

Yoboman

And these reviews got removed. They even disabled making negative reviews on the game for quite a while. Yet its there, sitting on 5.7

Review bombers aint waiting weeks to review bomb the game again, they already moved on to the next they review bomb. Otherwise the score would be even worse than it is now.
It has over 150,000 user reviews, whereas most games top out between 10k and 15k

Youre living in a world of denial if you think it wasn't review bombed

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It has over 150,000 user reviews, whereas most games top out between 10k and 15k

Youre living in a world of denial if you think it wasn't review bombed

I never said it wasn't.

You're in denial that the people who didn't enjoy aren't as big as a minority as you think

And these reviews got removed. They even disabled making negative reviews on the game for quite a while. Yet its there, sitting on 5.7

Review bombers aint waiting weeks to review bomb the game again, they already moved on to the next they review bomb. Otherwise the score would be even worse than it is now.
No metacritic removed some reviews but nowhere near all so once again that’s not true. You didn’t like the game that’s fine but trying to using a metacritic user score for anything is comical lol.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

What you're telling us is that you don't trust reviews from journalist, but you trust MC reviews from people who didn't play the game and many people who hate the game due to their political affiliation.

People who keep using MC are just desperate.

Mozzarella

I think yes, The Last of Us Part 2 was definitely review bombed by Metacritic user score, the thing is most people who do the review bombing will register in a new account rate the games 0 and then leave forever. They come by groups and not alone, so you will usually find them in packs one after the other. This also happened with Witcher 3 PC version when Cyberpunk got released, a lot of angry console ponys who hated how Cyberpunk was released quickly made a lot of accounts to give Witcher 3 "0" so im sure review bombing is a thing that is 100%.
However im also sure that a lot of 10/10 are just the same, boosting accounts, made for the sole reason to upvote the game, TLOU2 has 150k+ reviews, both things definitely happen a lot of positive and negative reviews suggests that both parties in this game made a lot of new accounts to boost their scores and in the end the game settle around the average which is 5.5

I think if Metacritic has strict policy TLOU2 will end up somewhere between 7.0-8.0

Zero proof? Just google TLOU2 ratings right now. "58% liked this game"

Yeah sure, it's not exactly HALF, but there's backlash.

Problem is people assume the hate comes from anti-LGBTQ people while completely ignoring the fact they killed off the main character, the one they care about.

And then they used a new character that nobody cared about to kill him off. So of course they are going to find whatever thing about that new character and make fun of it to death.
You're going to need a better source than a Metacritic user score or a google review score that ANYONE including those who NEVER PLAYED the game can leave a review. If I saw a place that verifies that you played it and it had a bad user score that would be a different matter. Then you may have something to go on. But you know, you don't.

Kadayi

Banned
I think yes, The Last of Us Part 2 was definitely review bombed by Metacritic user score, the thing is most people who do the review bombing will register in a new account rate the games 0 and then leave forever. They come by groups and not alone, so you will usually find them in packs one after the other. This also happened with Witcher 3 PC version when Cyberpunk got released, a lot of angry console ponys who hated how Cyberpunk was released quickly made a lot of accounts to give Witcher 3 "0" so im sure review bombing is a thing that is 100%.
However im also sure that a lot of 10/10 are just the same, boosting accounts, made for the sole reason to upvote the game, TLOU2 has 150k+ reviews, both things definitely happen a lot of positive and negative reviews suggests that both parties in this game made a lot of new accounts to boost their scores and in the end the game settle around the average which is 5.5

I think if Metacritic has strict policy TLOU2 will end up somewhere between 7.0-8.0

Indeed barracking on the internet is a thing, and it cuts both ways. I mean TLOU2 winning Metacritics GOTY win (which most people honestly didn't even know about), was something like 500% higher than previous years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

odd_hatch

You're going to need a better source than a Metacritic user score or a google review score that ANYONE including those who NEVER PLAYED the game can leave a review. If I saw a place that verifies that you played it and it had a bad user score that would be a different matter. Then you may have something to go on. But you know, you don't.
Oh no, we can't have the average person vote... it has to be an accredited individual with the right paperwork!

Many of us didn't play but watched it on YouTube to confirm that the story was really botched. And so it was.

You know what most of us wanted from TLOU2? To continue Joel's story. That guy who lost his daughter and tried to make the best decision he could for the people around him.
But in this game? He was just an afterthought. I would even say the developers right out hated the man. He was killed off early and without any care in the world for the character.
I couldn't care less about Abby. What's the game trying to tell you? That it was bad to save Ellie from the guys who wanted to use her for a potential cure? Killing her in the process?

I'm sorry but, TLOU is a game that relies almost entirely on the story. The gameplay is nothing new or special. it was OK. And because of the story being so terrible and a huge middle finger to the fans I couldn't care less about this game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Zero proof? Just google TLOU2 ratings right now. "58% liked this game"

Yeah sure, it's not exactly HALF, but there's backlash.

Problem is people assume the hate comes from anti-LGBTQ people while completely ignoring the fact they killed off the main character, the one they care about.

And then they used a new character that nobody cared about to kill him off. So of course they are going to find whatever thing about that new character and make fun of it to death.
You're using sites that were review bombed as proof, which doesn't help your case at all. The only thing it DOES prove is that a small group of fans didn't like the direction the game took.

A small group of fans doesn't mean half didn't like this game. What I find funny is that they're mostly sites that are easy review bomb.

Now I'm looking at site like Amazon with over 15K reviews and the vast majority are positive. You know what's different about this site? This site actually gives you a verified purchase tag right under your name when you review it. And guess what? MOST of the negative reviews come from people who did NOT buy the game on Amazon while most of the positive reviews has a lot of people who actually BOUGHT the game.

You can look on amazon japan, canada etc and see similar results. Most verified purchases are from people who enjoyed the game. If most people hated it, nearly half of the copies were purchased digitally, why was TLOU 2 PSN store nearly 5 stars? If most people hated it, it would received a lower score.

People are getting desperate using review bombed sites as proof. There are at least some sites that verify that you purchase a game before reading user reviews.

odd_hatch

You're using sites that were review bombed as proof, which doesn't help your case at all. The only thing it DOES prove is that a small group of fans didn't like the direction the game took.

A small group of fans doesn't mean half didn't like this game. What I find funny is that they're mostly sites that are easy review bomb.

Now I'm looking at site like Amazon with over 15K reviews and the vast majority are positive. You know what's different about this site? This site actually gives you a verified purchase tag right under your name when you review it. And guess what? MOST of the negative reviews come from people who did NOT buy the game on Amazon while most of the positive reviews has a lot of people who actually BOUGHT the game.

You can look on amazon japan, canada etc and see similar results. Most verified purchases are from people who enjoyed the game. If most people hated it, nearly half of the copies were purchased digitally, why was TLOU 2 PSN store nearly 5 stars? If most people hated it, it would received a lower score.

People are getting desperate using review bombed sites as proof. There are at least some sites that verify that you purchase a game before reading user reviews.
People who bought it bought it because they already liked the idea of the game, while everyone who didn't wouldn't want to send a cent to Naughty Dog.

People who didn't buy it and people who review bomb games have the same right as everyone else. Their votes don't count less or more.

AngryJoe is a very well known voice when it comes to games and he agrees with me. And so did the like/dislike ratio of that game's video. So stop pretending it's a "small group" and admit there's backlash.

Maybe all the bought copies are from new people who didn't play the first and got into it because of all the advertising coming from the controvesy. People wanted to know what's it all about.
In the end the game pleased more newcomers rather than the original fans. And because there were so many newcomers it makes it look like the majority liked it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People who bought it bought it because they already liked the idea of the game, while everyone who didn't wouldn't want to send a cent to Naughty Dog.

People who didn't buy it and people who review bomb games have the same right as everyone else. Their votes don't count less or more.

AngryJoe is a very well known voice when it comes to games and he agrees with me. And so did the like/dislike ratio of that game's video. So stop pretending it's a "small group" and admit there's backlash.

Maybe all the bought copies are from new people who didn't play the first and got into it because of all the advertising coming from the controvesy. People wanted to know what's it all about.
In the end the game pleased more newcomers rather than the original fans. And because there were so many newcomers it makes it look like the majority liked it.

You tried to use 100k people posting negative ratings as proof that most people didn't like the game. Now you want to tell me that most of the positive ratings are from newcomers. Angry Joe is one person and it doesn't matter if that one person agrees with you.

30k people disliking a video is small in comparison to over 7 million who bought the game. There's always an excuse from haters and they're having a difficult time that this game is successful both critically and finically. No, I'm not talking about just journalist, I'm talking about the fans who enjoy the game. Over 90 reader choice awards doesn't happen if his game was hated by most.

odd_hatch

Angry Joe is one person and it doesn't matter if that one person agrees with you.
How about PewDiePie? Biggest gaming channel in the world? Same reaction. Major dissapointment for him considering his channel started with that playthrough (TLOU1).

So your point is that despite the terrible story and backlash from fans it still had enough people that didn't care about that and voted for it.
It's still very implausible considering the game is nothing special gameplay wise. The only thing I can imagine happened is that there were barely any good titles to compete against and people had no choice but to play it because of the pandemic.
Or the industry is trying to push the game for whatever activistic reason. I dunno, something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How about PewDiePie? Biggest gaming channel in the world? Same reaction. Major dissapointment for him considering his channel started with that playthrough (TLOU1).

So your point is that despite the terrible story and backlash from fans it still had enough people that didn't care about that and voted for it.
It's still very implausible considering the game is nothing special gameplay wise. The only thing I can imagine happened is that there were barely any good titles to compete against and people had no choice but to play it because of the pandemic.
Or the industry is trying to push the game for whatever activistic reason. I dunno, something doesn't add up.

People flock to one channel to another. You think people who watched his video didn't go watch Angry Joe or any other YouTuber who didn't like the game.

These people are likely the same ones who decided to give a video a thumbs down because someone posted a positive review of The Last of Us. The fact is, the game was made to be divisive. You can't prove that the game has a bad story because that's your opinion and not a fact (and don't say it's objectively bad because you're still going to try to push the narrative again). I thought is was great, and your opinion doesn't hold more weight than mine. You have to accept many people enjoyed the game and you can't prove that most people didn't like it. This is a narrative you're trying to push because that's the only narrative you would accept.

What if I said that 90% of the people who downvoted or rated the game poorly are from far-right and had no intention of playing the game at all.

That wouldn't work because I'm making an accusation without facts, something you have been doing all over this thread.

Since you're unable to provide real facts to prove what you're saying, I have no reason to continue this debate.

Just accept that people like this game and it's successful.

Mozzarella

Indeed barracking on the internet is a thing, and it cuts both ways. I mean TLOU2 winning Metacritics GOTY win (which most people honestly didn't even know about), was something like 500% higher than previous years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To be honest i dont mind Metacritic users GOTY, i know its not that reliable but at least it has some basis, there are good number of users and Metacritic gives awards annually and is a known websites.
However checking that website (gameawards.net) many other awards feels like its inflated and some of them are just added to increase numbers. For example, recently they added this award given by Sword Chomp, i click on the link and it took me to Instagram page, the page says they are run by 4 guys that love video games, LOL. Its ridiculous how these GOTY trackers literally add awards left and right, all with equal value to big ones, it just doesnt make sense to me. Some video in Iranian language is actually a link to GOTY awards there, you click on it and the link takes to to a timestamp of a Youtube video of some Turkish or Iranian Youtuber who is giving GOTY awards. And ofcourse those places always award the most mainstream casual title, will they ever give Hades for example? Nope, only Sony movie games.

In the past i used to put value in number of GOTY awards, but this year after i checked many links i dont take them seriously now, in my perspective there are some GOTY awards that count and those are the known prestigious ones that have been giving awards since the 90's those outlets are probably around 100's not anymore. Therefore to reach these big numbers it must be inflated by some irrelevant ones.
And let me point this so to make it clear, GOTY winners are not necessarily my GOTYs or games that i consider to be good, some of them i dont like, but i will acknowledge as GOTY winners.
I also dont like how the old titles are suddenly gaining more awards, surprise!! we found some awards from the year 2017 for Breath of the Wild, add them, from 180's to 220's. Who knows maybe in 2030 they will find some 50 awards too?! LOL what a joke this GOTY tracker actually is. I expect more trackers will appear soon.

Kadayi

Banned
Just accept that some people like this game and it's successful critically within certain circles

Corrected for accuracy

Bill Murray Drink GIF

Woggleman

Angry Joe I like even though I often disagree but Pewdiepie is damn near a Nazi who likes to use the N word for kicks sometimes and I am far from an SJW who throws around accusations like that haphazardly.

That being said no doubt this game is divisive but divisive does not mean bad. Many things that are considered great today were divisive in their time. Also like somebody said on Amazon where purchases are verified it has a very good rating. Many dislike it but many also love it as well.

Oh no, we can't have the average person vote... it has to be an accredited individual with the right paperwork!

Many of us didn't play but watched it on YouTube to confirm that the story was really botched. And so it was.

You know what most of us wanted from TLOU2? To continue Joel's story. That guy who lost his daughter and tried to make the best decision he could for the people around him.
But in this game? He was just an afterthought. I would even say the developers right out hated the man. He was killed off early and without any care in the world for the character.
I couldn't care less about Abby. What's the game trying to tell you? That it was bad to save Ellie from the guys who wanted to use her for a potential cure? Killing her in the process?

I'm sorry but, TLOU is a game that relies almost entirely on the story. The gameplay is nothing new or special. it was OK. And because of the story being so terrible and a huge middle finger to the fans I couldn't care less about this game.
The story isn't made to go the way you want it to. Hell ND said years before it came out that this was Ellie's story, not Joels. You should've gone into it expecting that. The story was great imo and not many games can match it. The gameplay is pretty much as good as it gets for a third person stealth action game. Tied with MGS5

Top Bottom