• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of PS5 Patches is really upsetting me at this point

ReBurn

Gold Member
Patches aren't free for dev studios. They cost in precious dev time and resources. It's not just as simple as futzing a few numbers in a config file.

Devs also have pressure to work on new titles and existing title DLC... you know stuff that actually brings in revenue to the studio.

I know we all like nice things for free, but there's a real opportunity cost for devs to give us free stuff.
Assuming developers would like to sell more copies of their software after it releases it makes me think it might be in their best interest to update popular titles for new systems. Unless you're saying that their interest in selling their software and retaining customers ends the day they release their most recent title.

It is not unreasonable for customers to expect updates to software we've paid for. It's especially not unreasonable to ask from the likes of EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft, Rockstar, etc. and all of their studios who pocket billions in cash every year. They can afford it.

I've even seen a lot of people saying they're willing to pay a reasonable price for updates but Sony makes the few available upgrades to their games excruciating to get. I'd pay to upgrade my PS4 Spider-Man to the remastered PS5 version but you can't do that. You have to buy the most expensive version of Miles Morales whether you want it or not to get remastered original Spider-Man. To upgrade your PS4 copy of Ghost of Tsushima you'll have to pay $30 for DLC whether you want it or not. They could have released base upgrades for a reasonable cost but they don't do that. Instead Sony is keeping the tradition of getting you to buy the same game multiple times alive. I find it incredibly disappointing and frustrating, especially considering my new PS5 just arrived yesterday and I want upgrades to some of my favorite PlayStation games.

Assuming developers would like to sell more copies of their software after it releases it makes me think it might be in their best interest to update popular titles for new systems. Unless you're saying that their interest in selling their software and retaining customers ends the day they release their most recent title.

You're missing the fact that's it's an opportunity cost for the studio.

What generates the most value for them?
  1. Work on patch for old game that most PS gamers own and have already played --- i.e. significantly reduced addressible market for gamers who never played and will buy
  2. Work on new game that both existing fans and new interested gamers will flock to en masse to play on their shiny new PS5
It's pretty clear to me where the priority needs to be.

If there's any downtime and a small team can set time aside to knock out a patch, great! But it can't and shouldn't be a focus or priority.

Gamers primarily buy new hardware for new games. And between Sony and their direct competitor's two strategies on this point, I think Sony has the right focus.

It is not unreasonable for customers to expect updates to software we've paid for. It's especially not unreasonable to ask from the likes of EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft, Rockstar, etc. and all of their studios who pocket billions in cash every year. They can afford it.

It's not unreasonable to ask for free shit. But it's dishonest to behave as if we're entitled to it because we paid our initial $60 for the game that we played, completed and already got our money's worth out of.

I've even seen a lot of people saying they're willing to pay a reasonable price for updates but Sony makes the few available upgrades to their games excruciating to get. I'd pay to upgrade my PS4 Spider-Man to the remastered PS5 version but you can't do that. You have to buy the most expensive version of Miles Morales whether you want it or not to get remastered original Spider-Man. To upgrade your PS4 copy of Ghost of Tsushima you'll have to pay $30 for DLC whether you want it or not. They could have released base upgrades for a reasonable cost but they don't do that. Instead Sony is keeping the tradition of getting you to buy the same game multiple times alive. I find it incredibly disappointing and frustrating, especially considering my new PS5 just arrived yesterday and I want upgrades to some of my favorite PlayStation games.

This isn't a bad idea. I'd equally be happy to pay for a few PS5 upgrade patches. However, Sony's competitor is doing it at the hardware level thus for free, and so the optics for Sony looking to sell game patches on their system would look terrible from a PR perspective.

Just look at how the US-slanted VG media is chomping at the bit to criticise everything Sony does? Do you not think they'd have a field day with a decision to sell PS5 patches for PS4 games?

You'd basically be giving Xbox free publicity, as the obvious headlines that follow will all about how much better value Xbox GamePass offers.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I expect the devs have done the cost-benefit analysis and don't see it as worth it.

That would be my guess too. We don't know if these patches will lead to more software or hardware sales. My guess is that it is very much like BC, that a lot of people are vocal about but doesn't really move the needle when it comes to moving units. Further, PS4 games work on PS5 and lots of games have received patches (GOW, DG, TLOU2, R&C, GOT, etc.). The better strategy from a sales standpoint is to rerelease the products as PS5 games as that's easier to advertise than a patch for a PS4 game. /devil's advocate

bender

What time is it?
Just look at how the US-slanted VG media is chomping at the bit to criticise everything Sony does? Do you not think they'd have a field day with a decision to sell PS5 patches for PS4 games?

You'd basically be giving Xbox free publicity, as the obvious headlines that follow will all about how much better value Xbox GamePass offers.

How much video game media coverage matters in the grand scheme of things is a different question all together. I'd argue very little to the majority of consumers of these products.

How much video game media coverage matters in the grand scheme of things is a different question all together. I'd argue very little to the majority of consumers of these products.

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly....

Especially when this is the shit that passes for a quality editorial by the VG media these days:

That would be my guess too. We don't know if these patches will lead to more software or hardware sales. My guess is that it is very much like BC, that a lot of people are vocal about but doesn't really move the needle when it comes to moving units. Further, PS4 games work on PS5 and lots of games have received patches (GOW, DG, TLOU2, R&C, GOT, etc.). The better strategy from a sales standpoint is to rerelease the products as PS5 games as that's easier to advertise than a patch for a PS4 game. /devil's advocate

Considering Rockstar with GTAO couldn’t be arsed to release a PS4 pro or One X version at all despite the game being their cash cow, it’s not surprising other studios are similarly hesitant to release next gen patches.

Hoddi

NVMe slot needs activating, lift the 32GB/s HDMI 2.1 cap to 40/48 GB/s for the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
FWIW, OS based supersampling is also still missing in PS4 Pro games for us 1080p users. Considering the backlog that many of us have then the PS5 has been a downgrade compared with the PS4 Pro.

Lucky8BB

Banned
-Uncharted 4 (and uncharted the lost legacy)
-Horizon 1
-The Order
-Bloodborne
-Drive Club
-Killzone Shadowfall

These games would really benefit from 60fps, and especially U4 because aiming was laggy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
-Uncharted 4 (and uncharted the lost legacy)
-Horizon 1
-The Order
-Bloodborne
-Drive Club
-Killzone Shadowfall

These games would really benefit from 60fps, and especially U4 because aiming was laggy.
For sure. I replayed uc4 and it was not a huge bother after getting used to it for 30 minutes. Excessive motion blur helps.
Bloodborne could use 4k patch more than anything. That game looks so jagged

Lucky8BB

Banned
For sure. I replayed uc4 and it was not a huge bother after getting used to it for 30 minutes. Excessive motion blur helps.
Bloodborne could use 4k patch more than anything. That game looks so jagged
I have no problems aiming in games like Uncharted 1-3 (PS3 versions running at 30fps), however in Uncharted 4 I had to use auto lock feature, because aiming was so difficult because of input lag (and my TV has only 16ms input lag).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Second half of this year for ps5 is looking DAMN rough. Sony should be offering patches to the classics to add some good will and hype up some classic games, plus give us something to revisit.

They need to talk and talk soon, imo.

Last edited:

skit_data

All I want is 60fps patches for Uncharted 4, Lost legacy, Bloodborne and Horizon.

Those should be considered essential enough and unless other mechanics are tied to the framerate it shouldn’t be that hard to fix.

KAL2006

Banned
While patches for our older games are great it takes away part of the team working on new games I suppose.

It depends if the game is designed around the framerate. Most of the time it's just changing the ini file of a game from 30fps to 60fps. We know loads of games are not designed around 30fps as they have performance mode. Take Shadow of Collosus for example it has 60fps performance mode and quality mode. They can easily unlock framerate for quality mode go hit 60fps but they don't. Last Guardian unlatched runs 60fps yet they haven't done a patch to unlock it. This shit don't need huge teams it needs a dude or 2 to make a patch that takes a few hours in a day.

To be honest I'm surprised developers don't have a hidden frame unlock option for all quality modes for a future PS6 or PS5 Pro. These systems are slowly becoming PCs so it's a shame Devs are not thinking ahead.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It depends if the game is designed around the framerate. Most of the time it's just changing the ini file of a game from 30fps to 60fps. We know loads of games are not designed around 30fps as they have performance mode. Take Shadow of Collosus for example it has 60fps performance mode and quality mode. They can easily unlock framerate for quality mode go hit 60fps but they don't.

To be honest I'm surprised developers don't have a hidden frame unlock option for all quality modes for a future PS6 or PS5 Pro. These systems are slowly becoming PCs so it's a shame Devs are not thinking ahead.

Yeah we have seen some good ones so far like God of war but maybe its few and far between because it may take a little more work?

yeah the consoles are getting more like pcs like you said so going forward it maybe easier to unlock things and if we get a PS5 pro or something along the line it will be easier to upgrade resolution and frame rates

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah we have seen some good ones so far like God of war but maybe its few and far between because it may take a little more work?

yeah the consoles are getting more like pcs like you said so going forward it maybe easier to unlock things and if we get a PS5 pro or something along the line it will be easier to upgrade resolution and frame rates

What I'm getting at is developers are making the same mistake and not having unclock framerate option for quality modes. So when PS5 Pro/PS6 comes out we will have to wait for patched again. Developers should have had a unclock framerate option for quality mode. For example why doenst Miles Morales not a have a unlock framerate option for Quality Mode. If they had it we wouldnt need a patch we would just select unlock framerate for and play Miles Morales in 60fps/4k/RT on the eventual PS6.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What I'm getting at is developers are making the same mistake and not having unclock framerate option for quality modes. So when PS5 Pro/PS6 comes out we will have to wait for patched again. Developers should have had a unclock framerate option for quality mode. For example why doenst Miles Morales not a have a unlock framerate option for Quality Mode. If they had it we wouldnt need a patch we would just select unlock framerate for and play Miles Morales in 60fps/4k/RT on the eventual PS6.
Am guessing on the currant console it may not perform as expected? Maybe super high frame rate on min and low frame rate the next depending on the scene. That’s a guess though

I 100% agree with what your saying but there must be a reason why they dont

ksdixon

Microsoft deserves credit, but you are exaggerating by saying that Sony didn't want backwards compatibility. All their consoles had it, except for PS4 due to the change in CPU. What Microsoft started was adding improvements to old games and in that aspect they are much better.

It is shameful to still have games of the caliber of Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne locked at 30 fps. Other types of improvements are nice, but the jump to 60fps is by far the most important.
I dont think you can make the point that Sony always supported bc when they ripped it out of the first revision PS3's and UK only ever got software based emulation BC even in their first run consoles. Plus other stupid shit like not whitelisting all Vita games for TV play on PSTV (though i guess that's more accessibility vs restrictions, rather thsn strictly talking BC)

Top Bottom