• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of PS5 Patches is really upsetting me at this point

GuinGuin

Banned
Microsoft deserves credit, but you are exaggerating by saying that Sony didn't want backwards compatibility. All their consoles had it, except for PS4 due to the change in CPU. What Microsoft started was adding improvements to old games and in that aspect they are much better.

It is shameful to still have games of the caliber of Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne locked at 30 fps. Other types of improvements are nice, but the jump to 60fps is by far the most important.

PS2 and PS3 had texture smoothing for PSX games.

Mr.ODST

Microsoft deserves credit, but you are exaggerating by saying that Sony didn't want backwards compatibility. All their consoles had it, except for PS4 due to the change in CPU. What Microsoft started was adding improvements to old games and in that aspect they are much better.

It is shameful to still have games of the caliber of Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne locked at 30 fps. Other types of improvements are nice, but the jump to 60fps is by far the most important.
Not going to take away MS focused on BC because clearly loads of their games are not even ready yet and with the exclusion of Halo Infinite which was supposed to be on launch its the only saving grace of the Series X so far ...

Three

Like when the Cod games went bc and broke into the top 10 for NDP on those months?

If that isn't a record of sales? What is? N
Yes because people buying the biggest gaming franchise ever to play online after general API BC (i.e becomes playable on their machine) is the same as people going back to buy Bloodborne after a game specific patch. I doubt a huge amount of people were thinking "you know what I would really like to play bloodborne, not buying it though" . Patch comes out "wow look at this game I'm buying it". The general public aren't that petty and stupid.

Anyone got a source for this claim that Sony shoehorned BC in at the last minute? I've seen a few people mention it now and it just seems daft considering how BC works on the PS5. If that was the case wouldn't they just write an emulator instead of designing it around the idea of hardware profiles - pretty much how Sony have generally done BC with a hardware approach.

Three

Anyone got a source for this claim that Sony shoehorned BC in at the last minute? I've seen a few people mention it now and it just seems daft considering how BC works on the PS5. If that was the case wouldn't they just write an emulator instead of designing it around the idea of hardware profiles - pretty much how Sony have generally done BC with a hardware approach.
It's the dumbest take because they absolutely would want PS4 backwards compatibility from the beginning. They would be giving up their vendor lock in.

In fact aren't some of the hardware choices based on BC? They just have a different approach to writing software. They didn't believe in virtualisation. They make consoles with very low level access which means less overhead and the console punching above its weight however it also means more difficulty and requiring native code to get performance on older titles.
The idea they didn't want PS4 BC is stupid at best.

It's the dumbest take because they absolutely would want PS4 backwards compatibility from the beginning. They would be giving up their vendor lock in.

In fact aren't some of the hardware choices based on BC? They just have a different approach to writing software. They didn't believe in virtualisation. They make consoles with very low level access which means less overhead and the console punching above its weight however it also means more difficulty and requiring native code to get performance on older titles.
The idea they didn't want PS4 BC is stupid at best.

If you think about it then it's pretty much the same system Sony employed with the PS4 Pro and Sony likely kept it in mind for the PS5 BC. When you play a PS4 game on the Pro it would downclock to PS4 clock speeds and disable half of the GPU - unless boost was enabled in the OS and then it would run the game with Pro clockspeeds but still half the GPU disabled. A Pro patched game would enable the whole GPU and Pro clockspeeds.

PS5 works in a similar way with its hardware profiles depending on the game. It's so simple a system I'm surprised people get confused by it.

KAL2006

Banned
There are not many games left to patch

Last Guardian
Shadow of Collosus
Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy
Gravity Rush 2

Gravity Rush 2 is too niche so I doubt that would get a patch and besides Japan Studio is closed. I'd say the same for Last Guardian but that has a unpatched disk version that runs perfectly so it's a matter of a guy changing the ini settings so I don't see why Sony can't patch that. Bluepoint already had Shadow of Collosus run at 60fps in performance mode. So it's a matter of unlocking framerate in quality mode. Finally Uncharted 4 already runs at 60fps in multiplayer I doubt it would break the game unlocking for campaign, I assume they will release Uncharted patch around movie release for marketing synergy.

Edit
Forgot about Horizon I guess Guerilla can unlock framerate as I assume PC version is 60fps.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned

There is no source because it's just lies based off of a misinterpreted quote from Jim Ryan talking about how Gran Turismo 2 is ugly compared to Gran Turismo Sport.

ripeavocado

Banned

M$ Actually planned backward compatibility this is why they have had perfect backward compatibility since One X and they support all their consoles.

Sony didn't give a fuck, did a mediocre job with PS4 Pro and then kept the same awful approach with 5, the result is that they didn't bother to parch their own games except a couple of them and consoles that are easy to support like PS1 (it's been easy for more than 20 years) and PS2 are not supported.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Who has the source code for this.
Bring in the High res textures and lift all the post process and final render resolution as high as the PS5 can handle.

Dont care if its still at 30fps just do the damn thing:
maxresdefault.jpg

John Wick

PS5 has entered its 6th month and most PS4 hits don’t have a PS5 patch yet.

I am not asking for remasters, just a patch that does what Xbox One|Series X are capable of doing natively thanks to their superior backward compatibility.
I want to play those games at native 4K and / or unlocked framrates.

Even sony games don't have them in 99% of the cases. Ratchet & Clank is perfectly capable to run at 4K and 60fps and was patched weeks after being give for free, c'mon sony.

I am not saying that old games noone cares about should be patched but big blockbusters released recently? What are you waiting for?

Then coul sony please provide a boost mode that does exactly what they are doing on Xbox? it ca be optional like it was on PS4 Pro and it's not perfect nobody is going to complain because it's optional.
Sony studios and devs deserved to be paid. Nothing is free or so I've been told. You should be grateful for the patches Sony has released.

IMO it should not patch old games and focus in new games.

After all you can play old games without patch on the machine.
I have a backlog of games I haven't got around to yet, so having the option to finally play them being patched to 60fps /higher res/locked frame rates etc works great for me. So these patches do have some benefits.

Bring in the High res textures and lift all the post process and final render resolution as high as the PS5 can handle.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd take just a 3840x1620 resolution update for The Order: 1886. Big boost in clarity without sacrificing the ultrawide from before. Likely never happen :messenger_pensive:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

maxresdefault.jpg
doubt you need a source code.
There is probably an ini file you just edit and put maxfps = 60 and res.
No idea why there are no more patches

doubt you need a source code.
There is probably an ini file you just edit and put maxfps = 60 and res.
No idea why there are no more patches
Because they wanted to sell you those patches. Than xbox did everything better and sooner and they're scrambling.

I'd love to replay Uncharted 4 or SotC at 4k. They're just dumb.

Oh, and fuck you for killing Driveclub. That's what I want in 4k@60fps. Hell, even 1080p@120fps.

GuinGuin

Banned
Because they wanted to sell you those patches. Than xbox did everything better and sooner and they're scrambling.

I'd love to replay Uncharted 4 or SotC at 4k. They're just dumb.

Oh, and fuck you for killing Driveclub. That's what I want in 4k@60fps. Hell, even 1080p@120fps.

That would make it playable. Drive club commited suicide by being 30fps. Unacceptable for a driving game no matter now pretty it is.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Get rid of the fucking awful 2.35:1 aspect ratio while we're at it.
After the Ultrawide update for PS5 the game will render in either Ultrawide or 16:9.

P.S Didnt mind Ultrawide aspect ratio......but that resolution just aint it in 2021.

Patches aren't free for dev studios. They cost in precious dev time and resources. It's not just as simple as futzing a few numbers in a config file.

Devs also have pressure to work on new titles and existing title DLC... you know stuff that actually brings in revenue to the studio.

I know we all like nice things for free, but there's a real opportunity cost for devs to give us free stuff.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Patches aren't free for dev studios. They cost in precious dev time and resources. It's not just as simple as futzing a few numbers in a config file.

Devs also have pressure to work on new titles and existing title DLC... you know stuff that actually brings in revenue to the studio.

I know we all like nice things for free, but there's a real opportunity cost for devs to give us free stuff.

PS5 patches for older games will make PS5 owners want to buy ‘em, especially when there are still so few native PS5 games available. You have to spend money to make money.

I think people want something akin to the XSX's FPS boost, so it's up to Sony to match it or it's up to devs and devs ain't gonna go back to old games unless for a remaster which the XSX BC soultion is making it less likely to happen, i mean i downloaded my copy of Assassin's Creed Syndicate on PS5 and I've no problem with 30FPS BUT the game has a sever shadow glitch that render that beautiful game unplayable to me and this was know since the beginning and neither Sony or Ubisoft have done anything about it to date even after several threads on the issue on the Ubisoft forums and official reddit.

Top Bottom