• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The gravity of USB TYPE C replacing ethernet would be...

The thought just came to me.

usb type c is capable of audio, video, data and power.

But the last frontier would be.....
rmp6Zv6.jpg

Internet!

The sheer migration and conversing I would think would catastrophic. To the consumer internet market all the wat to the enterprise server industry

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well you wouldn't be able to do your cables easily like you are with Ethernet. Even shitty cables is able to pull 50m, which USB-C wouldn't be able to satisfy and so on.

zeioIIDX

I don't think that is going to happen. CAT is going to be the standard for a while. Everyone can run and create their own CAT cables, you can't do that with USBc.
Exactly. I can make ethernet cables in my sleep but I don't even know what tools I'd use to make my own USB-C cable. Besides, I don't know how using USB-C would work for internet connections. Ethernet cables are comprised of 8 wires (4 pairs) and the speed of your connection determines the amount of pairs that are utilized. Other things to take into consideration is the fact that ethernet cables have various types of shielding that USB-C cables do not and there is a limit to how long an ethernet cable can be before transmitted electrical signals begin to degrade. I don't know what this limit is for USB-C.

Ethernet isn’t going anywhere. Ethernet is way more reliable. USB C isn’t bad but I have had some issues but never any with Ethernet. replacing Ethernet with usb c is just askin for trouble

There’s no reason to ever do this. Also doesn’t Ethernet do power?? So what advances would USB c bring and justify replacing literally the entire internet?

Last edited:
Not going to happen. CAT6 allows for POE and can go up to 325' without the need for extenders.

Gamechanger CAT6 allows for up to 650' which also includes POE without the need for extenders.

POE ( up to 15.4 W)
POE+ (up to 25 W)
POE++ (up to 100w)

10Gb networks will require you to upgrade to fiber at distances greater than 180' over CAT6.

They make 4k HDMI extenders that utilize CAT6 to carry video/data/sound. See?

USB-C 3.1 can go a max distance of 3' with full features, then you'll have to up your wire gauges and that could get costly if you go further than 10'. Basically this connection is great for consumer grade electronics charging and data transfer. But is horrible for structured cabling and simply won't work at all. Not to mention you would need to punch down the cabling at both sides which would be a tumultuous task.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wouldn't USB C suffer from more voltage drop over longer runs? It's good at delivering a lot of power but it can't push it very far. I've seen USB C falter in power delivery past 3 meters where PoE can deliver power over 100 meter runs when supplying more voltage at the source. There is still voltage drop, but it can stay within spec for the whole run.

I believe that some companies are working on ways to combine the two.

Kadve

Even with all the improvements over the years USB cables has a recommended length of 3 metres and an absolute maximum of 18 (and that's assuming you have some really high quality cables capable of keeping up the voltage). CAT 6 meanwhile is certified for 100 metres+ and are way cheaper to make.

In short. Its not happening any time soon.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Consumer grade hardware is absolutely gonna move to USB-C for internet.

server grade hardware is gonna stick to ethernet because they don't need multipurpose cables for a single task.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Bring back Firewire, that could do networking.
Firewire is built for streaming data directly between devices and isn't really suitable for a typical switched network where data is packet-based. It would be good for a daisy-chained network.

It might have lived longer had Apple not tried to leverage their patents to increase their income by jacking up license fees for devices that used Firewire to $1 per port and losing Intel's support for the standard.

Tams

That would lead to essentially dongles, as USB C, as great as it is, is pretty much converting signals.

And fuck dongles!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

rmp6Zv6.jpg

Internet!

The sheer migration and conversing I would think would catastrophic. To the consumer internet market all the wat to the enterprise server industry
Animated GIF

USB-C is a quite complex standard and costly cable (if you want versions that really push the kind of speeds you think of)… displacing fibre optic cables and cheap Ethernet cables shifting 10 Gbps or more over a hundred meters or so without pulling a sweat…

we should be reducing waste, not increasing it.

It's easier for CAT to be replaced with fiber optics than any USB standard.

Also, fun fact, but there are usb to ethernet adapters in whichn you can use a CAT cable doing the inbetween. And I've basically done 30 meter USB cables that way.

Good luck pulling a 10 meter usb-c cable.

Last edited:

tkscz

rmp6Zv6.jpg

Internet!

God I wish our server room and racks looked this good

But as ResilientBanana ResilientBanana already said, distance is the biggest reason that won't happen. Even with the speed of USB 4.0, it'll stop being as useful after 3 to 6' when it comes to data.

God I wish our server room and racks looked this good

But as ResilientBanana ResilientBanana already said, distance is the biggest reason that won't happen. Even with the speed of USB 4.0, it'll stop being as useful after 3 to 6' when it comes to data.
Same goes for any cconsumer-basedcables like HDMI, DisplayPort and so on. Their effectiveness and ability to produce the signals required dwindles at greater distances. Even HDMI can be hit or miss at 50'. CAT6 is the way to go until they can get something that goes further and better or need more bandwidth. But even then, wire gauges might simply increase.

Top Bottom