• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

seanoff

VOOK, what are you smoking.

here in the NT we are only 1.5hrs ahead of WA. No daylight saving here. we get enough sun. so 4.00am here.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
seanoff said:
VOOK, what are you smoking.

here in the NT we are only 1.5hrs ahead of WA. No daylight saving here. we get enough sun. so 4.00am here.

Hrmm, thats what the stupid world and time date site said... I will investigate...

ok....

Real Times for Aussies...

Perth Fri 2:30 AM
Darwin Fri 4:00 AM
Brisbane Fri 4:30 AM
Adelaide Fri 5:00 AM
Sydney Fri 5:30 AM
Melbourne Fri 5:30 AM
Canberra Fri 5:30 AM

Snow

Just wondering... Some of the niftier GIFs from the bomzaldroppenton thread are offline now. Anyone still have them?

We got a full video last year, so maybe this year too, Iwata allowed IGN to have one I think?

I expect we’ll get a Rev demo, playing Zelda, and some confirmed 3rd parties and titles for launch period?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SolidSnakex said:
I wasn't saying you were wrong, just pointing out that there just seems to be a difference in opinion with it. Some are really impressed and think it looks like the E3 demo, others are impressed but don't think its at that level. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a conspiracy as (unsurprisingly) TeamXbox is suggesting.
Yeah that's completely cool, I like the difference in opinion and I don't mind at all that someone thinks its mind-blowing good. In fact I even understand that viewpoint and share in their enthusiasm. I just feel that some people are just glossing over what was presented and not critically evaluating what was shown. Of course IGN isn't guilty of this, I'm merely speaking of some forum opinions and maybe some in the press. Is that good or bad, who gives a shit to be frank. The important part is Sony actually showed something of importance running on the PS3 and that's a major step forward from what they've been doing the past year.

Speaking of the demonstration overall I just think it was a real mixed bag. However I will still stand by my statement that some random parts were PS2 caliber graphics because to be blunt that's the fucking truth (it really varied: environments, textures, models too but that might be stretching it). Other times some of the effects and post processing were above and beyond what's been shown on the 360. The Motorstorm demonstration was probably the greatest example of what I felt. On one hand the terrain deformation and the physics interaction was mind-blowing cool meanwhile the models and the textures were terrible, especially how the tires were always halfway into the ground. A mixed bag but overall rather positive, especially at the end of the demonstration where it showed the full effect of the deformation. I guess I'm a bit more jaded because I have a much deeper understanding of what goes into the development process than some journalists. Overall I don't get the negative reaction to what I thought; I've always been a huge supporter of all platforms which has always been glaringly obvious on this forum. Who gives a shit what system it is, show me the games.

I'd like to say something real quick: I enjoyed how the usual crowd got into a real hissyfit and of course it’s the same group of people who weren't even there or seen the press and are just chiming in to defend the honor of their company or some ridiculous bullshit. Fuck them, they need to go outside and enjoy life.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
element said:
Nothing i saw from sony couldn't be done on Xbox 360.

I think the question was more "how does it compare to what we've seen to date on 360?". Not a hypothetical "could this be done on 360?".

It's becoming pretty clear where Sony sees PS3's strengths, and from the sounds of things, they did a good job illustrating that. Reading the reports, it seems they focussed on scale and/or simulation as hallmarks of PS3-focussed titles - which makes sense in the context of Cell being PS3's key differentiator. I can only rely on textual descriptions, but I don't think we've yet seen a 360 game offering the level of physical interaction described in Motorstorm, or the demo from that SCEE London game. Comments about Warhawk and R&C reminded me of that developer Kikizo quoted, talking about one of PS3's advantage in throwing a lot more stuff around at once. (And on R&C, while it was a non-interactive demo, Insomniac is certainly one developer who has NOT BSed us to date..I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt for now). It's one thing to talk about modelling detail/lighting etc. and how that compares to stuff seen to date, but it's fairly evident that Sony sees PS3's real, (differentiating) strengths elsewhere.

This isn't to say, indeed, that 360 couldn't handle what was shown yesterday - most of the above mentioned titles are early afterall, and certainly wouldn't be tapping all of Cell's power, so I'd greatly hesitate to suggest that. But the question is - if and when it does start matching the apparent technical sophistication of some of the stuff shown yesterday, where will PS3 be? One wonders further how much more the bar will be raised given that these are early results on hardware that is supposedly difficult to tap..

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
PS3's strength is the Cell and not the GPU.

gofreak said:
Comments about Warhawk and R&C reminded me of that developer Kikizo quoted, talking about one of PS3's advantage in throwing a lot more stuff around at once. (And on R&C, while it was a non-interactive demo, Insomniac is certainly one developer who has NOT BSed us to date..I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt for now).
I can personally vouch for these guys. I had a nice chat with them after the event.

Rlan

I'm not willing to stay up till 5am for it, but how long do the keynotes usually go for? An hour? less?

Do IGN intend on getting a video feed of everything?

Xrenity

Rlan said:
I'm not willing to stay up till 5am for it, but how long do the keynotes usually go for? An hour? less?

Do IGN intend on getting a video feed of everything?
Iwata's keynote will take up about an hour.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TekunoRobby said:
PS3's strength is the Cell and not the GPU.

Agreed. And in fairness to Sony, it's something they've highlighted from day one. Not to downplay the GPU at all - it's more than up to scratch - but as far as the real differentiating factor over other systems goes, that mostly is down to Cell (and maybe Blu-ray to a lesser extent, depending on how things pan out). And I think it's encouraging we're seeing manifestations of that already.

TekunoRobby said:
I can personally vouch for these guys. I had a nice chat with them after the event.

Did you wring any new info out of them? :p R&C was realtime, yes?

element

This isn't to say, indeed, that 360 couldn't handle what was shown yesterday - most of the above mentioned titles are early afterall, and certainly wouldn't be tapping all of Cell's power, so I'd greatly hesitate to suggest that.
One thing they did say during the Warhawk demo was they weren't programming in assembly, so they aren't really 'pushing' it yet.
I think Sony is doing a better job sweating the details then Microsoft, because it is the details that people are going to pick up on. How trees move, if there are people on the street who don't walk like robots, just things that people didn't have time or thought about doing before.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
element said:
One thing they did say during the Warhawk demo was they weren't programming in assembly, so they aren't really 'pushing' it yet.

Yeah, I noted that. They seemed happy with the results they were getting without having to go low-level, but then I know some devs ARE going low-level to do what they want to achieve, at least for some stuff, and it really makes me wonder how much better things will get going forward.

Also interesting if Warhawk is using 4xAA, which also suggests they're not exactly stressing FB bandwidth with post-processing or whatever.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
gofreak said:
Agreed. And in fairness to Sony, it's something they've highlighted from day one. Not to downplay the GPU at all - it's more than up to scratch - but as far as the real differentiating factor over other systems goes, that's mostly is down to Cell (and maybe Blu-ray to a lesser extent, depending on how things pan out). And I think it's encouraging we're seeing manifestations of that already.
Yeah definitely, the GPU is no slouch. In fact when doing a few certain things it certainly leaves a good impression. This system has major legs and I believe the Cell is going to have the largest influence in that.

element said:
I think Sony is doing a better job sweating the details then Microsoft, because it is the details that people are going to pick up on. How trees move, if there are people on the street who don't walk like robots, just things that people didn't have time or thought about doing before.
Yeah, the Getaway was a great example of that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
New York has the same time as Toronto in Canada right? I want to be here when:

bomzalgdc.gif

domba7bi.jpg

iwata_bomb.jpg

j^aws

Could someone please clarify whether R&C PS3 demo was realtime, in-engine demo or just a target pre-render?

element

j^aws said:
Could someone please clarify whether R&C PS3 demo was realtime, in-engine demo or just a target pre-render?
I was under the assumption it was a non-interactive realtime demo. it really wasn't much different then R&C3, just more of it.

j^aws

element said:
I was under the assumption it was a non-interactive realtime demo. it really wasn't much different then R&C3, just more of it.

Thanks. So it wasn't explicitly clarified at the event? I'm trying to gauge reactions that range from "just more of it" to "awesome" without any media!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
element said:
i just sent blimblim 45 minutes of audio from the Sony Keynote.

Nice, look forward to it :)

Wollan said:
Could some attendents please make a scetch or photoshop job of how the PS3 hud looked like? :)

It might be difficult, because apparently there were transparent overlays and such. Could be hard to express that in a sketch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
element said:
oh mine is so close. pretty good for just about being ready to fall over!!

BED TIME FOR ME!! Lair presentation at 9 am :(

Quite close indeed!

kisce137uk.jpg

Also:

kisce147ng.jpg

kisce151wz.jpg

Hopefully they may show some Lair footage, or at least assets being used..try and take pics! :)

Falch

So what are the chances of that new footage (Resistance, Warhawk, Motorstorm) being released soon? I really wanna see it for myself.

Btw, the Crytec engine demo (crysis) looks really impressive.

Interface looks very nice btw.

Tiger

Banned
gofreak said:
Pics from the Sony conference!

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0603/23/news077.html

Small, but better than nothing :lol

Heavenly Sword/Havok demo:

kisce054ce.jpg

Car demo:

kisce064pg.jpg

kisce071qq.jpg

Motorstorm:

kisce084ly.jpg

Warhawk:

kisce091kk.jpg

R&C:

kisce100xc.jpg
I love looking a new pics like these from a show. Man do I love new hardware. :D I'm really hoping that Motorstorm turns out to be everything we saw in that E3 demo. Being a racing freak at heart just makes me so excited for that game. I love the small details in games, and that dirt and enviornmental interaction is truly the stuff that makes me giddy.

Raven.

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
I'd like to say something real quick: I enjoyed how the usual crowd got into a real hissyfit and of course it’s the same group of people who weren't even there or seen the press and are just chiming in to defend the honor of their company or some ridiculous bullshit. Fuck them, they need to go outside and enjoy life.

It's not that, it's just incredibly hard to believe a realtime demo released in march would be significantly worse looking than a demo of the same game released months ago in september. It's also hard to believe Deano who's a reputable B3d member and is involved in HS would be outright lying. I mean Deano's word is they've only added since e3 to HS and the e3 demo was realtime with postprocessing added to it, yet some say the GDC demo was ps2 caliber? Again this just doesn't jibe I mean the duck and fish demo, which are not even games just simple tech demos, are extremely impressive with cg'ish geometry lvls aboove pretty much any title outhere and advanced physics and animation, it's hard to believe full games with far bigger budgets would be far behind these.

We also have word of sustained applause over games like warhawk, how is that possible if it was underwhelming and inferior to TGS(as tgs was better than e3, imho)?(Though from my understanding, iirc, Naughty's lendt insomniac the engines in the past, and they may not be that hot when it comes to doing it on their own. Still the TGS realtime demo, and sustained applause response suggest it can't possibly look worse... we'll see. I know those small pics look quite impressive, though still hard to tell the details.)

Wollan

Haha. Harrison just commented on the Heavenly Sword tech demo(on the recording Im listening to).
'I think just looking at this you can see game design opportunities. I think we shall ship it like it is now'. :lol

Animal

Banned
I am not happy about PNP being run by Gamespy/IGN...I can smell the shitty software and in game adds already.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Doesn't sound like any bombs will be dropping from that Iwata interview.

Might still get something new Zelda-wise though. It's about time.

ThirdEye

Animal said:
I am not happy about PNP being run by Gamespy/IGN...I can smell the shitty software and in game adds already.
Who cares, it's free! I don't complain just like I don't complain about GAF :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nothing i saw from sony couldn't be done on Xbox 360.
Here's what I'd like to know...

Were the demos at least a step up from what we've been seeing on the XBOX360 thus far? It sounds as if 360 could have handled any of them, but whether or not it HAS handled anything similar is more of a concern. I don't care about all this "console war" BS, but I won't deny that the 360 hasn't impressed thus far and is not where I want next-gen visuals to be. I'm hoping for very large leaps over the next couple years.

At the very least, I'm hoping for high framerates on PS3. Obviously, those demos were a bit early, but I really hope the developers realize that one of the biggest problems with 360 software thus far is the framerate. It isn't acceptable. At all. Damn near every great looking game on the machine has a framerate that drops below 30 fps fairly often while also suffering from tearing. That's garbage.

Hopefully both machines will start delivering games that don't chug like an old PC game...

Actually, from the games I've seen thus far, western devs are doing a better job of getting the most out of the hardware.
I'm not so sure about that...

Let's wait and see what other JP developers have to offer first. The biggest thing to me is that they seem to care about framerates and the overall presentation far more than Western devs. A game with a bunch of bells and whistles that suffers from a bad framerate, bad menu transitions, akward animation, and all sorts of other similar problems is less impressive to me than something that lacks those features but suffers from none of those issues. The little things go a long way and Japanese games more often deliver in that area. It's been this way for years and we've already seen some proof that it may happen again (DOA4 and RR6 - 60 fps with superior presentation and polish).

Rocked

dark10x said:
At the very least, I'm hoping for high framerates on PS3. Obviously, those demos were a bit early, but I really hope the developers realize that one of the biggest problems with 360 software thus far is the framerate. It isn't acceptable. At all. Damn near every great looking game on the machine has a framerate that drops below 30 fps fairly often while also suffering from tearing. That's garbage.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Revolution has the smoothest framerates. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine the controller will make jerky framerates more noticable than ever before, especially in first person shooters.

Top Bottom