• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

Speevy

Banned
I'm actually interested in what Iwata has to say. I hope he says something worth getting excited about, though.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Kind of sad to hear that the PS3 demos weren't a whole lot better than the 360. I didn't think they would be, but part of me still held out hope.

But region free = wooohooo! No need to import another PS3 to play imports!

Dsal said:
Kind of sad to hear that the PS3 demos weren't a whole lot better than the 360. I didn't think they would be, but part of me still held out hope.

wait... that's confirmed????

Phoenix

almokla said:
wait... that's confirmed????

Not really, its a largely misinterpreted statement. What was actually said is that publishers can fit all of the regional content for a game on one BRD. Thus there would be no need for multiple versions. At the end of the day, the publisher still has the ability to decide whether or not they want a SKU for multiple regions or not - Sony doesn't really control that.

quetz67

Banned
element said:
Nothing i saw from sony couldn't be done on Xbox 360.
That might be true, 360 has a lot of untapped power.

But if PS3 runs realtime motorstorm (havent seen it, but said to be close to the first movie) half a year before release while nothing on x360 matches that half a year after release that either says something about the hardware or the developers/production values.

I really dont care what both machines can run or not, but what does run on them.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
quetz67 said:

But if PS3 runs realtime motorstorm (havent seen it, but said to be close to the first movie) half a year before release while nothing on x360 matches that half a year after release that either says something about the hardware or the developers/production values.

I really dont care what both machines can run or not, but what does run on them.
This is too obvious of a spin attempt.

element

motorstorm looked nothing like the E3 video from last year. textures were washed out and low-res. The mud was cool, but looked off. The parallax 'tracks' was cool, how the car suspension moved on them, but more of a 'trick' then a 'wow' factor.

R&C was by far the best demo they showed, and it wasn't really even the graphics that I was impressed with. It was just taking the next step into a living world, everything was moving, had the hussle and bussle of a real city.

GhaleonEB

quetz67 said:

Or, Sony is being very, very careful about what media they let out to provide that impression. See: Boxguy. I suspect the actual PS3 games will be more of a mixed bag than what comes out of Sony's presentations. We'll see more at E3.

Phoenix

outunderthestars said:
I think you're wrong. It sounds like it was clarified and confirmed in the Q&A after the presentation.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

Could be. My understanding of what was said is that the platform won't prevent content from running, but developers/publishers still had the ability to author their content to the extent where they could prevent it.... which would seem to make sense as regional, country, and state laws would prevent some games from being sold legally (for example Grand Theft Audo being banned for sale). So if you don't have any form of region lock at the machine and you don't have any way to bar the content from being made available ...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Amir0x said:
Satoru Iwata
President, Nintendo Co., Ltd.
"Disrupting Development"
Thursday, March 23
10:30 – 11:30am

Other time zones:

New York Thu 1:30 PM
San Francisco Thu 10:30 AM
Athens Thu 8:30 PM
London Thu 6:30 PM
Perth Fri 2:30 AM
Auckland Fri 6:30 AM
Tokyo Fri 3:30AM

~Thanks VOOK~
anyone got a time for Brisbane, Australia? What's the time difference between Perth and Brisbane?

Dsal said:

I'd be ok with PS2 games with 360 graphics. Somehow I dont think we've seen the best of what PS3 has to offer. Wait for the Japanese devlopers.

element

outunderthestars said:
IGN seems to think there was:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697725p1.html

So does 1UP:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148957

And Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146475.html

All three confirmed that it is region free for games.
i stood around for probably 5 to 10 minutes after it was over, and all i heard was music. It was a cattle call (everyone going to the exits). If there was a Q&A, i don't think everyone would have left.

Now there could have been one shortly after that, but Phil said thanks for coming and left the stage.

3rdman

Count Chocula said:
I'd be ok with PS2 games with 360 graphics. Somehow I dont think we've seen the best of what PS3 has to offer. Wait for the Japanese devlopers.

Actually, from the games I've seen thus far, western devs are doing a better job of getting the most out of the hardware. Someone made a post about this very issue and it had something to do with PC enviorments and their familiarity working with shader technology. Look at DOA4 and then look at EA's Fight Night 3. At least thats what I read...

Coen

element said:
R&C was by far the best demo they showed, and it wasn't really even the graphics that I was impressed with. It was just taking the next step into a living world, everything was moving, had the hussle and bussle of a real city.

That's exactly what I was expecting and hoping to see from real next-gen software. Thusfar, we've mostly seen games that could've been made on current-gen hardware, just with better textures, hundreds of enemies on screen and more detailed character models. Which is fine for some, but I'd like to see developers pushing towards more interactive experiences. I want a world and its inhabitants responding to my pressence.

By the way, thanks for the heads-up, element. :)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
element said:
i stood around for probably 5 to 10 minutes after it was over, and all i heard was music. It was a cattle call (everyone going to the exits). If there was a Q&A, i don't think everyone would have left.

Now there could have been one shortly after that, but Phil said thanks for coming and left the stage.

Doesn't really change the fact that it happened...

Phoenix

element said:

Different Q&A. There wasn't one for the developers. This Q&A took place in the "press area".

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
element said:

1up said:
Following his keynote presentation at the Game Developers Conference, Phil Harrison invited select members of the press for a question and answer session over lunch. Below are some of the highlights from this session.

Face it, you're just not 'select' enough. :p

element

when i saw Q&A i was thinking like any other session or panel I've gone to today. I didn't see that line by 1up.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
From a lot of impressions I have seens on Gears of War @ GDC it was extremely impressive(more so than before) and had improved over previous demonstrations - too bad we won't get any media.

seanoff

Ghaleon, every single commercial news organisation on the planet has conflicts of interest. And by your standards, massive ones and every one of them has no integrity.

Car mags review cars and tyres and accessories and earn revenue from advertising those same things. Music mags, PC mags, i've seen video cards trashed in an article that has an ad for that very card in the middle of it.

Newspapers write stories on just about everything and take advertising from where ever they can. Newspapers even carry advertorials for things.

TV the same.

Now if you can prove that something is being positively spun due one of these relationships, a completely different matter and then their integrity is shot. But until then it's not really any different.

GhaleonEB

seanoff said:
Ghaleon, every single commercial news organisation on the planet has conflicts of interest. And by your standards, massive ones and every one of them has no integrity.

Car mags review cars and tyres and accessories and earn revenue from advertising those same things. Music mags, PC mags, i've seen video cards trashed in an article that has an ad for that very card in the middle of it.

Newspapers write stories on just about everything and take advertising from where ever they can. Newspapers even carry advertorials for things.

TV the same.

Now if you can prove that something is being positively spun due one of these relationships, a completely different matter and then their integrity is shot. But until then it's not really any different.
Taking advertising and providing journalistic coverage for the same company is nothing new, and I don't have issues with that. (Though some media sever that conflict altogether, such as Consumer Reports).

However, providing and supporting the company through additional services and products muddies the water. To run with you car magazine example, imagine if that car magazine started selling certain parts to a company to help make their cars, or provided some service to them to help with the manufacturing and distribution. Now there is a more direct conflict.

It is a fundamentally different relationship because they are directly contributing to the creation of the products they cover, rather than just providing ad space for them.

I don't like conspiracy theories and I am not trying to start any, but I do find there to be a deeper level of conflicting interests than the advertising that is customary in nearly all media with this relationship. Has it manifest in actual bias? I don't know. But it is something that certainly taints the IGN network in my opinion, because the potential for such bias, whether realized or not, is so much greater.

ThirdEye

Phoenix said:
Could be. My understanding of what was said is that the platform won't prevent content from running, but developers/publishers still had the ability to author their content to the extent where they could prevent it.... which would seem to make sense as regional, country, and state laws would prevent some games from being sold legally (for example Grand Theft Audo being banned for sale). So if you don't have any form of region lock at the machine and you don't have any way to bar the content from being made available ...
And what's that different from the situation of PSP which is also region-free as you know?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dsal said:

Region free is such a great idea. I'm glad they had the sense to finally do it. I'd heard rumblings about it some time back, but part of me really didn't believe it would happen. Awesome to hear it finally did. :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder what happened to Lair? Probably holding it back for E3, Factor 5 are good for showcase demos.

Hope some good things come out of the Nintendo keynote as well. It's been a good event for news so far!

element

Nash said:
I wonder what happened to Lair? Probably holding it back for E3, Factor 5 are good for showcase demos.

Hope some good things come out of the Nintendo keynote as well. It's been a good event for news so far!
Factor 5 has an art session tomorrow morning for Lair. I'm going, if they have anything cool, I'll take photos and do video if i can.

Hmm if iwatas announcements are as big as last years gdc.. man.. I cant wait.. last year they announced the WiFi Service for the DS.. This year.. :eek:! Who knows :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Papi said:
hmmm I wonder if i should go to uni tomorrow.
well i definitely have to go for a 5 hour tutorial that begins at 9:00am, but at least I'm sitting at a computer the whole time so i can stay up to date while there.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
- Western Australia
Friday March 24th 2:30am
- Queensland
Friday March 24th 4:30am
- Northern Terrority/South Australia
Friday March 24th 5:00am
- Australian Capital Terrority/Sydney/Hobart/Melbourne
Friday March 24th 5:30am

Here is the times for Australia, Daylight savings is playing funny buggers .

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Scrow said:
well i definitely have to go for a 5 hour tutorial that begins at 9:00am, but at least I'm sitting at a computer the whole time so i can stay up to date while there.

Ah, gotta love being on vacation. I don't have anywhere to be for the next 2 weeks.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This may be a stupid quesiton but are we expecting any Live Feeds?

Top Bottom