• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The English can't catch a break

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
David Hemmings starred in a film based on Alfred in the late sixties, haven't seen it in years so I'm not sure how it would hold up for a modern audience, great cast though.

I didn't even know this existed! Thanks for the heads up. Going to have to check it out.

replicant-

I think what he means is unhealthily battered fish and deep fried potatoes is English. Unless thats also common in those countries

What? Fish and Chips isn’t unhealthy. It’s a strong British tradition.

I’ve had F&C from Brighton to Aberdeen and it’s bloody brilliant up and down the country.

Next someone will be critical of the fry up. I had a good one today - sausages, black pudding, bacon, tomatoes and 2 slices of toast and a cup of tea.

Zannegan

I like how everyone is arguing about historical accuracy in an Assassins Creed game, the same games that have magical orbs/Atlantis and time travelling machines (I know its not time travel but you know what I mean). Not many of them have been accurate let's face it.
Sure, but there's a lot to be said for having a game set in a certain historical period do the bare minimum to actually reflect that period. Where you draw that line of believability is different for each person. *shrug*

For me it just happens to be where the fuzzy wuzzy, family-friendly vikings inv-, er, coloni-, uh, "find a new home" in England while being totally reasonable, rational, and kind to its inhabitants. You wouldn't (and didn't) see anything like this in their portrayal of European Americans' relations with Native Americans in AC3, because that wouldn't fly.

Here though, it's totally fine.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

1588289911570.jpg

King Alfred the Great

-Defends his homeland from Viking Savages
-unified England to become one country essentially saving the country
-portrayed as evil and barbaric

The English can't catch a break even in video games
I’m French, English are our historic enemy, way before Germans .

And both don’t know how to make food.

They deserved to be villains in games.

Vive la France! ^^

In England, where we speak English, it's called football, so that's what it's called!.........soccer lol

Its football end of
Who cares what the English say in England. In both the countries that I’m associated with it’s called soccer. So I call it soccer. lol.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

Who cares what the English say in England. In both the countries that I’m associated with it’s called soccer. So I call it soccer. lol.

Sorry.

I won't even be civil with this one. It is football. It has a ball and you kick it with your feet. It is football.

I do sometimes believe the pilgrims who left Plymouth purposefully perverted the name of football just to piss the English off. It worked a little too well.

sephiroth7x

Historical accurate rivalries are the best rivalries. Too bad neither of those had an empire the size of Spain’s.

Is this a joke? The British Empire was twice the size of Spain's? Spain have had the first global empire in that they held foreign lands, but the British Empire more than doubled the Spanish...

SirTerry-T

And you realise Soccer is a derivative of "Association football", right? I mean you must do, you're clearly a very clever individual.

Sorry.

I won't even be civil with this one. It is football. It has a ball and you kick it with your feet. It is football.

I do sometimes believe the pilgrims who left Plymouth purposefully perverted the name of football just to piss the English off. It worked a little too well.
Ridiculous. Football for me will always be Gridiron. I won’t reprogram my brain into calling soccer football just because people in other parts of the world call it football, especially when 99.9 percent of the people I talk to and interact with irl call it soccer.

And you realise Soccer is a derivative of "Association football", right? I mean you must do, you're clearly a very clever individual.
Okay and what is exactly your point? The most popular sport in North America is football (American football), so why would I use the term for a less popular sport? Especially when you consider soccer is the term we use as kids and so it’s very much ingrained in our vocabulary.

Belmonte

Well deserved. My country didn't have any problems with the english but there are documented proof you guys wage war against Mel Gibson at least two times.

The irony here is that they're literally turning the invading, colonizing, war-waging force into the "good guys" in this game, while making the defending Brits cartoonishly evil for no discernible reason. Romanticizing vikings makes even less sense than pirates.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag already happened though.

Zannegan

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag already happened though.
That's why I said "less sense." My point was, as much as I enjoyed AC4, their trying to make the pirates out to be the good guys questing to bring freedom to all was one of the things that made its story so hilariously bad.

I will never not lose it when I think of Blackbeard's appeal for "Med'cines!" Lol.

INC

Okay and what is exactly your point? The most popular sport in North America is football (American football), so why would I use the term for a less popular sport? Especially when you consider soccer is the term we use as kids and so it’s very much ingrained in our vocabulary.

American football.....you mean handegg, that the one where its basically rugby, but in america you need pads and roll cage across you face

LooseLips

It was St Georges day here in Britain the other day and the fake news msm didn't even mention it.

It's staggering how many times people use that phrase and then follow it with utter fallacies - but, hey, makes for a good soundbite!

30 seconds on Google found:

Can't get more 'mainstream' than Murdoch's biggest paper.

The Metro has huge reach, which must make it 'mainstream' in many eyes.

Another, big selling, broadsheet 'mainstream' paper

Coverage from the 'other' side of the political spectrum...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/17816642
One for children from the BBC that day - Perhaps a good place to start?

Most TV news was (and is still) on a rolling cycle - it's almost as if they had a bigger story to focus on that day. That said there were several packages produced on many regional TV News outlets on both ITV and BBC that day.

Tiamat2san

I believe you dropped something
AdUVIfb.jpg
XD
I remember in the 360/PS3 Simpson game. It was funny.

We became like in the XXth century.
A mix of bad politicians/ cocky generals and Belgium sucking German dicks.

But If we weren’t there US will have a queen and eat boiled beef with orange jam.
And it’s easy to enter a war later after doing business with the enemy.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Attack the argument, not the poster.
It's staggering how many times people use that phrase and then follow it with utter fallacies - but, hey, makes for a good soundbite!

30 seconds on Google found:

Can't get more 'mainstream' than Murdoch's biggest paper.

The Metro has huge reach, which must make it 'mainstream' in many eyes.

Another, big selling, broadsheet 'mainstream' paper

Coverage from the 'other' side of the political spectrum...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/17816642
One for children from the BBC that day - Perhaps a good place to start?

Most TV news was (and is still) on a rolling cycle - it's almost as if they had a bigger story to focus on that day. That said there were several packages produced on many regional TV News outlets on both ITV and BBC that day.
Thanks for proving my point you leftist kiddy fiddler.

1588289911570.jpg

King Alfred the Great

-Defends his homeland from Viking Savages
-unified England to become one country essentially saving the country
-portrayed as evil and barbaric

The English can't catch a break even in video games
Ubisoft is a French Company. Bad blood between England and France goes back centuries, so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

A.Romero

I'm Mexican so I don't really have the same context as you guys. However, my country was a colony almost 600 years ago for almost 400 years. Spaniards came, conquered, decimated the population and established their rule and religion. I don't know anyone that holds a grudge against Spaniards nowadays but that might be related to the fact that there are not many indigenous people left.

AC games always have an angle. I mean, the message is pretty clear: Freedom vs Control. That's what the creed is all about. In my mind at least vikings represent the extreme of freedom (chaos/anarchy) and of course an imperialistic monarchy would represent the Templars the best.

If I remember correctly the Vatican was the go to antagonistic party during quite a few games in the AC lore and despite the Catholics having a lot of issues they were not 100% bad. However, nobody cared about how they made them a villain from a cartoon.

While the portrayal of the king and the British in general seems to be everything but balanced, I think it's useful to remember that you would take control of an actual Viking. Of course the game is going to show things from their own perspective. That said, the point is to sell games. I don't think a lot of people would enjoy playing the villain for the full game.

Top Bottom