• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EA app has been offline for more than an hour, and now I can't play my single player games offline.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So where do you draw the line? Apparently one hour is acceptable, so let's say it's down an entire weekend or an entire week. It has happened before.
Realistically though you need to look at how often it’s been down. If this is a one off, then no big deal these things are going to happen.

If it’s happening consistently then yes there is a problem.

I don’t know the history of how often EA’s app is down but I’m gathering it’s happening quite a bit?

Its still not all the way fixed. Star Wars Jedi Survivor literally doesn't appear in my library at all even tho my play pro subscription is good and the games fully downloaded/patched. When I reached out they said while the service is online they're still restoring peoples access to their library lol.

I'm literally at the last save before the ending, was going to finish it up and come back an do the side quests later this year lol. Oh well i think ima just youtube it tonight - shit is trash

-Zelda-

Banned
They can be all played offline when i play them at work my switch isn't connected online while i do it. The switch will happily let you as long as your membership is still valid i think it online checks once a week to make sure you are still able to play them so unless you are losing power/internet for a whole week you should be good.
That\s never been true for me at home. When I lose power or internet, the router shuts off and Nintendo does not let me into the SNES NSO or the others, either. I am however able to play the games I have downloaded to the console. Sucks because I love playing A link the past during a thunderstorm. Especially the intro.

Guilty_AI

Enjoy your digital world peeps. Its why I still buy physical on console.
you-think-youre-safe.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That logic also apply to digital games tho. Pretty much none of the games i own digitally require internet besides the download.

I can play 99% of my physical games whenever I wish with zero internet connection.

I can play 0% of my digital games whenever I wish as I always have to have an internet connection and most, if not all require "check-ins" to continue playing on modern systems. When servers go down, or internet goes out for any protreacted time, or the stores close due to new systems - I will never be able to access those games again.

They are not and have never been the same. Your logic is not logical.

LRKD

What are you talking about? People have given many good reasons. 😂
it being 'not a big deal' definitely doesn't count as a good reason 😂

Even with service outages slim to none, players get nothing to benefit from it and only risk to loose from situations outside of their control. So yeah, with no benefits to the consumer I'd say there is no good reason for it.

Guilty_AI

I can play 99% of my physical games whenever I wish with zero internet connection.

I can play 0% of my digital games whenever I wish as I always have to have an internet connection and most, if not all require "check-ins" to continue playing on modern systems. When servers go down, or internet goes out for any protreacted time, or the stores close due to new systems - I will never be able to access those games again.

Nope. When i said offline for the games i own, i truly meant it. No online check-ins or any other bullshit like that.

Theres this misconception buying games from a digital store automatically means you need to be logged in to play. Thats not necessarily true.

Last edited:

MikeM

Nope. When i said offline for the games i own, i truly meant it. No online check-ins or any other bullshit like that.

Theres this misconception buying games from a digital store automatically means you need to be logged in to play. Thats not necessarily true.
Evrrytime Xbox went down, i could not play any games. Yes- it was set as the home console.

EA’s app went down yesterday on PC. Guess what happened?

Guilty_AI

Evrrytime Xbox went down, i could not play any games. Yes- it was set as the home console.

EA’s app went down yesterday on PC. Guess what happened?
Meanwhile i took installers of some of the digital games i own to another pc and played them there, no launcher, no check-ins. Even set up home LAN play one time using the same copy.

Digital =/= online drm, and disks ain't safe from it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I remember some users here says something like "who doesnt have internet nowadays" when I criticize always online games.

Some people just never learn.

Thankfully most of them are now banned, they where beyond obnoxious during the GT7 thread where any criticism of this was met with attacks on your character and trawling through your post history to try and prove your an xbox shill. When that failed they just strait up accused me of not owning a PS5 or even playing GT7.

It really is amazing how venomous people get over this, I think it must be that they know it's bad but somehow feel forced to justify it on behalf of the publisher as otherwise they would be questioning why they even bought the game in the first place.

Resulting in...

jn23P2h.jpg

Last edited:

Unless I missed something, in the last years most physical games require day one patch to download and work or you have to download the entire game. So yes, even most physical games require internet connection. No one is safe.

StereoVsn

Yes, the OP cannot play his videogames for MORE THAN AN HOUR. Truly a devastating development. Will the OP recover? Will he go on to defend the righteous? Tune in next topic to find out!
What if there is local outage in OPs internet provider? What if EA gets an outage for a day? What happens in 10 or 20 years when EA doesn't want to maintain the servers or DRM provider goes offline?

Always online for SP games is asinine and so is defending this practice.

Quezacolt

Unless I missed something, in the last years most physical games require day one patch to download and work or you have to download the entire game. So yes, even most physical games require internet connection. No one is safe.
You did miss something. Thats BS that people keep spreading without knowing anything. 99% of ps4 and ps5 library can be played without any downloads. Just put the disc, install the game and play.

Quezacolt

But will you have a good experience with a broken game?
And who says the games are broken?
Most day one patches fix stuff that most people wouldnt find anyway.
Hell, lets go by rockstar, wich is known to release buggy games. I went through start to finish in RDR2 and never found a single bug, and i didnt download the day 1 patch for that game.
My internet is very slow, since where i live i dont have the option of choosing fiber. So, most of my games, i play hours and hours without any patch at all, so i know what im talking about.

Guilty_AI

This talk reminded me Kingdom Hearts 3 had its ending locked behind a day 1 patch. I had to double check cause it sounded way too ridiculous.

Quezacolt

How do you get those without internet my guy? Also have you seen the most recent game releases?
I buy physical games, dont need internet.
And yes, i played most recent games.
Dead space, outside of the image quality, worked flawlessly for me. RE4 i didnt have any issue at all. Basically all of my games worked without issues here. Same for my Switch games.

dDoc

because the app is down for an hour? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And you paid for a (new) product but cannot access it. Maybe someone had a free hour and planned to play his purchased game at that time. Will the player be compensated for this down time?

Digital sucks as one doesnt really own the product. People fighting for an only/all digital future are either idiots or share holders.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You are absolutely delusional. The vast majority of games releasing on disk don't require *any* downloads.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But will you have a good experience with a broken game?

And the games aren't broken at all. You are literally talking out your ass with zero evidence to back it up. Meanwhile I can point to literally thousands of games that prove you wrong, aka 99% of the PS4 and PS5 library.

Gamezone

Gold Member
You certainly missed something. Jedi Survivor and the latest COD game is the only Xbox and Playstation game that will require a content download. Every other game is playable from start to finish.

angrod14

Lol at people demonizing digital distribution for this EA App sucking ass. PSN games once installed don't give an F about your internet connection, just like the disc version, with very few exceptions (games that require permanent connectivity).

And the games aren't broken at all. You are literally talking out your ass with zero evidence to back it up. Meanwhile I can point to literally thousands of games that prove you wrong, aka 99% of the PS4 and PS5 library.
All the games had issues at launch. Ragnarok had, hfw had and so on. There were a thousand complaints about horizons grass shimmering on gaf. It looked horrible. It also had broken quests. Youre ignorant if u think any day 1 game is without issues. Can u finish them? Sure, but not without having issues. And before u say oh but i didnt, thats just false.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All the games had issues at launch. Ragnarok had, hfw had and so on. There were a thousand complaints about horizons grass shimmering on gaf. It looked horrible. It also had broken quests. Youre ignorant if u think any day 1 game is without issues. Can u finish them? Sure, but not without having issues. And before u say oh but i didnt, thats just false.

Completed Ragnarok and HFW and sure, the games had issues but they weren't technical in nature. You are just trying to find the most minor complaints a handful of folks had to justify your bizarre need to promote anti-consumer trash. Oh, but thanks for telilng me that what I and hundreds of thousands of people have experienced is all just a lie. Clearly *you* know better than us all!

Seek help and I would highly suggest you look into getting yourself tested.

Dutchy

well it can happen :p i was expecting to be able to play the games i fucking paid for without internet
steam is 70%
microsoft is a big fat no

7vyxs5oqzfa11.jpg

this looks dope af

boat lanparty
My step dad has a decent boat. Always wanted to play Sea of Thieves in the middle of the ocean but have no idea how viable that is.

That looks snazzy as fuck not gonna lie.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My step dad has a decent boat. Always wanted to play Sea of Thieves in the middle of the ocean but have no idea how viable that is.

That looks snazzy as fuck not gonna lie.
Middle of the ocean would be tricky… but this elon musk network would the cheapest solution. I honestly just skip online gaming.. and if i do.. its at an harbor because i have to get my diablo fix

Completed Ragnarok and HFW and sure, the games had issues but they weren't technical in nature. You are just trying to find the most minor complaints a handful of folks had to justify your bizarre need to promote anti-consumer trash. Oh, but thanks for telilng me that what I and hundreds of thousands of people have experienced is all just a lie. Clearly *you* know better than us all!

Seek help and I would highly suggest you look into getting yourself tested.

Chill.

Bojji

Good luck if you think owning a disc means you can play a game offline. All it is these days is an installation method and then a token authenticator. It's not PS1 era where you play games off a disc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You install game and play it, there is no need for online connection for majority of X1/PS4/XS/PS5 games.

And you can sell your games.

Physical is the last thing we have and with time it will die, it's starting to die right now with some games requiring downloads because games are too large to fit on discs.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Omg, are you ok? Imagine having to play a different game or do something else for an hour. People who complain about this are ridiculous. It would be completely different if we had constant server issues but the fact is all of the games we play on are up 99.8% of time which effectively makes it a zero issue. If this becomes a serious issue 20 years from now there are other ways to play. Give up rights, LOL, you don't own the game to begin with, even when you buy a physical copy.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I can play my 100% digital collection 99.9% of the time with zero issue over the past 10 years. The whopping 5 hours a year it's down (randomly spread out) I just do something else or play a different system. It's a zero issue that you are frantic and paranoid to avoid to an issue that largely doesnt exist to somehow justify your physical collection as being superior.

At least for most people, if you live in an area with unreliable internet or can't afford internet, that would be the exception.

Top Bottom