• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EA app has been offline for more than an hour, and now I can't play my single player games offline.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Seriously, doesn't this app have some form of offline mode? Apparently the EA app has been offline for more than an hour, and I can't even play games like Jedi Survior, not even on May the 4th, ironically.

What do the "I have internet 24/7, so I don't care if games are always online" commnity think of this? I was NEVER offline.

I did some research and found this:

Offline play is not available during the EA Desktop. We're aware of the feedback on this feature, so I'll make sure that gets to the team.

Last edited:

flying_sq

You will own nothing and you will enjoy it. Could probably find a cracked offline executable that pirates use. A while ago I used them when I went on long trips with no internet. Most of the time it was for slightly older games though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I remember some users here says something like "who doesnt have internet nowadays" when I criticize always online games.

Some people just never learn.
because the app is down for an hour? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
This is why I hate NSO so much. If you have a power or internet outtage for any reason, you can't play those retro games you paid their rental service for. All of those games should be on the Eshop rather than all the trash that is there.

Impotaku

This is why I hate NSO so much. If you have a power or internet outtage for any reason, you can't play those retro games you paid their rental service for. All of those games should be on the Eshop rather than all the trash that is there.
They can be all played offline when i play them at work my switch isn't connected online while i do it. The switch will happily let you as long as your membership is still valid i think it online checks once a week to make sure you are still able to play them so unless you are losing power/internet for a whole week you should be good.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

New Years Hello GIF by Britannia

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Talk Like A Pirate Day GIF

Legit i got so fucking tired of this shit when gaming on my boat.. i converted most of my games.

Main reason i pick my switch above the 3k gaming laptop when on the go

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

It's way worse than just the network going down. Let's say in 10 years or so if a security vulnerability is discovered in one of their online server libraries. If it's too complicated or time consuming to fix/upgrade they'll just make the decision to shut it down. Single player game goes bye bye.

Cyberpunkd

I remember some users here says something like "who doesnt have internet nowadays" when I criticize always online games.

Yes, the OP cannot play his videogames for MORE THAN AN HOUR. Truly a devastating development. Will the OP recover? Will he go on to defend the righteous? Tune in next topic to find out!

Drizzlehell

Banned

Yeah, but it's EA we're talking about. You can't trust them to locate their own dick when at the urinal, and that's why I try to avoid buying their games for PC so that I won't have to use their dogshit launcher.

I'm completely cashless. Not even a single coin to be found in my house. When the banking system was down a few months ago I had to go to bed hungry

Seriously, doesn't this app have some form of offline mode? Apparently the EA app has been offline for more than an hour, and I can't even play games like Jedi Survior, not even on May the 4th, ironically.

What do the "I have internet 24/7, so I don't care if games are always online" commnity think of this? I was NEVER offline.

I did some research and found this:

Offline play is not available during the EA Desktop. We're aware of the feedback on this feature, so I'll make sure that gets to the team.
It does have an offline mode which I usually use because it's such crap it always has connecting errors and other stuff. I've never used it until recently to play Fallen Order and I really hate it.

But I think the problem with offline mode.. is you have to log in to online mode to use it. So pretty useless in this kind of situation.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Legit i got so fucking tired of this shit when gaming on my boat.. i converted most of my games.

Well, your first mistake was expecting a persistent internet connection on a boat :p

Quezacolt

What do you do when the power goes out?
I guess you could cover yourself in game boxes for warmth! 😁
Ok it was only one hour. He still paid for the games and should be able to play whenever he wants. What if the issue was worse? If it took days, or like hownit happened to PSN years ago, the issue last almost an entire month? Would that be acceptable to you?

Gamezone

Gold Member

How's the experience playing offline on a boat these days?

Puscifer

That dude with the one piece avatar here kills me with how okay he is just giving up control of what you pay for

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ok it was only one hour. He still paid for the games and should be able to play whenever he wants. What if the issue was worse? If it took days, or like hownit happened to PSN years ago, the issue last almost an entire month? Would that be acceptable to you?

But in those cases it’s on him and where he lives. This hour was on EA.

it doesn’t matter. Most games have so many patches that your disk is nothing more than a key anyway. Most of us have excepted that.

Also I have steam games much older than any physical game I still have.
They get lost or borrowed, sometimes just throw out because they do nothing but take up space.
Mostly I play a game for a few months to a year and move on. So i get them same value out every game even if I lose them all in 5 years. 🤷‍♂️

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yes, the OP cannot play his videogames for MORE THAN AN HOUR. Truly a devastating development. Will the OP recover? Will he go on to defend the righteous? Tune in next topic to find out!

So where do you draw the line? Apparently one hour is acceptable, so let's say it's down an entire weekend or an entire week. It has happened before.

Quezacolt

But in those cases it’s on him and where he lives. This hour was on EA.
How would it be on him with the examples i gave?
I said, what if the servers issue took more than one hour, what it it was days? Or be something that could take weeks?

Also, the example about the discs being pointless is bs. Most games dont need patches. Most of them work fine without them.
And sometimes, patches just make them worse. A good example is still the last guardian, where i can play at 60fps with my disc version, but people with the digital version can only play the updated version, wich locks the game to 30fps.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Imagine how frustrating would be that someone is busy all the time and the servers shut down when they can finally play for an hour or so.

For you, it's just an hour, for other the circumstances vary and nobody should downplay them.

A game better be some kind of legendary release ala Zelda or Sekiro sequel for me to buy a single player always online game.

But EA is specially shitty with their DRM practices, a friend of mine borrowed Alice Madness Return from my Steam account with Family Sharing ages ago, he was a little tech averse so he just did what the launcher told him to do and registered the game with his email, one that he didn't remember anymore, so when I wanted to play the game years later, it happened that I couldn't without the email it was registered with originally... IT'S ON MY STEAM ACCOUNT FFS, WTF.

I waited for years to play ME3 because of Origin exclusivity but had to bite anyway before Andromeda came out, once I was done with it, uninstalled Origin forever and never went back to it again, such a shitty launcher refusing to stay connected each time I wanted to play even with the Remember checkbox checked, nothing should be going out of steam if we're buying there, so we make sure an experience without bullshit...

Last edited:
Top Bottom