• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The disc version of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora needs an online connection to install

Draugoth

Gold Member
RESISTANCE_HQ-1440x810.jpg

Reddit user Interesting-Squash81 received their physical PS5 copy of the game early, but when they tried to play the game they got an image simply showing the game’s logo and its December 7, 2023 release date. The user then tried to change the date and time on their console and launch the game offline, but they were still shown the same image.

It appears that the game won’t continue until it’s been verified online – perhaps requiring a day one patch, or simply just performing an online check to see if the release date has passed.

This is reinforced by a small message on the front of the game’s final box art, which reads: “Internet required to install the game.” This message reportedly wasn’t on the early box art shown during the pre-order process.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

What the critics not even mention it.
Yeah, I wish this would be called out more in reviews or something. Maybe then we'd see it slow down a bit, or at least one could hope.

Shame that this continues to be a standard practice, but unfortunately not surprising.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Serious question, why are people hypeing for yet another game that will follow the ubisoft formula? Overloaded map, watchtowers, repetitive missions, collectibles on every corner and a story of revolution against an enemy that controls the map/world. 200 hours completing repetitive tasks.

Paulistano

Tommi84

At this point pirates don't even need to deal with this shit.
Yeah, back in the days of movies mostly on dvd and not streamed/downloaded, when you bought or rented a movie, first 5minutes were like 'piracy is a crime!', 'you wouldn't steal a car?' and so on. While pirated ones were not having any of these

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, this kind of shit is not going away.

Unless you guys here boycott games that do this online required stuff. I hear boycotts totally work.

Thanks for the heads up, now I'm definitely not buying it.

Edit: Since this seems to derail into another physical vs digital thread, the only way to retain somewhat of a reasonable consumer friendly environment is to play these games on a PC.

Last edited:

Ben87fr

Man i just bought The Callisto Protocol on disk and i had to download more than half the game, what's new ?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
More and more physical games are doing this dumb shit. It makes consoles less relevant.

Consoles are irrelevant to PC you mean? A platform where nobody except collectors buy physical copies and everybody gladly accepts the situation that you can't run the game before the official launch date/time and even if you've pre-installed the game, there'll be a day one patch.

Last edited:

Sirolf

Soo… Not anymore.. I’m ingame for one hour and half.. It’s very very beautiful at least :)
I’m on PS5 BTW

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Consoles are irrelevant to PC you mean? A platform where nobody except collectors buy physical copies and everybody gladly accepts the situation that you can't run the game before the official and even if you've pre-installed the game, there'll be a day one patch.
If I'm forced to digital, I sure won't be doing it on consoles.

angrod14

We're slowly reaching the point the PC market reached before completely dropping physical media. AAA games releasing digital-only (Alan Wake 2), physical releases either launching in two discs because of the size (Forbidden West) or requiring an online connection/download (GT7, Star Wars, and now this).

I personally don't think the pro consumer answer is ''buy physical". People is moving on from that, and there are valid reasons. What we need is better legislation and regulations for these companies.

I'm personally not going back to discs. I have nothing against them but I'm past that whole collecting and selling thing. Not worth it to me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So like Jedi Survivor, mandatory online for a single player game? *

* for completing installation at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom