• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant II Comes In Two Discs On Xbox Series X, Unlike The PS5 Version

In an observation made by certain users on various forums, it seems that the Xbox Series X version of the recently released Remnant 2 comes in two separate discs. Contrary to this, the PlayStation 5 version of the game comes on a singular disc.
Remnant-2-Discs.jpg

The disc was shared by user Ghillie007 on Reddit and proceeded to gain traction on forums such as ResetEra where it was eventually discovered that the Series X version is the outlier, or rather the PlayStation 5 version depending on how you look at it. We can assume the PlayStation 5 version comes on a single disc on account of its Kraken technology which reduces the install sizes of most if not all PlayStation 5 games by a decent margin.
image.png

This also makes Remnant 2 the second game to be released on two discs for the Xbox Series X, the first being Microsoft Flight Simulator. On the contrary, the PlayStation 5 hasn’t had a single multi-disc title so far, however, the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is confirmed to be releasing on two discs.
Remnant 2 itself is a massive game. When talking about it, one of the game’s developers Ben Cureton clarified that it would take hundreds of hours to see and collect everything Remnant 2 has to offer citing that it has “secrets within secrets.” He further went on to say that players with as much as 400 hours into the game even many of the game’s own developers hadn’t seen 100% of what the game has.
More at:

LordCBH

What’s the install size of Remnant 2? Also only the second? Doesnt Witcher 3 next Gen version have 2 discs on the series X? I could go double check but then I’d have to get out of bed.

LordCBH

Its only 64gb install "with 3 add-ons" and latest updates, etc. on my Series X.

Doesn't make sense from an install perspective.

So it should be able to fit on 1. Series X has a UHD drive, so I would assume that, being split in two discs, the publisher decided to use regular blu rays for the series release? Super weird.

LordCBH

Yep, it's on two discs. Perhaps Series X games use regular BD discs instead of the UHD ones that Sony mandates for all PS5 disc games.

image.png

I thought so. I haven’t pulled my copy off the shelf since I’ve installed cause for some reason my series X let’s me boot it without the disc despite never having bought the digital release of any version other than on steam.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Probably won’t be the only game to come in two discs….. man that’s such a 90s throwback thing.

Glad I went all digital, a couple generations back. I don’t even wanna change discs to play a different game let alone change discs to play the second half of the same game. Them days are long gone. I think the last multi disc game I bought was mass effect 2 on X360.

Probably won’t be the only game to come in two discs….. man that’s such a 90s throwback thing.

Glad I went all digital, a couple generations back. I don’t even wanna change discs to play a different game let alone change discs to play the second half of the same game. Them days are long gone. I think the last multi disc game I bought was mass effect 2 on X360.
All two discs games come with a data and play disc, so once the game is installed you just use the play disc, you won't be prompted to change discs in order to play the latter half of the game.

DaGwaphics

Isn't this current-gen only? I guess 2 of the standard disks are cheaper to produce than a single high capacity disk. Now that everything is installed up front it doesn't matter much at this point.

MS out there trying to help the devs make more money while evil Sony is over there making them manufacture expensive disks. :messenger_beaming:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of people like discs, the collecting, reselling etc. talk about a hobby and industry. Now Xbox games are on bluerays and STILL coke on multiple discs.

lucbr

Recently I saw some games that are smaller in size on Series X than PS5, so probably not related to compression.

Kraken?

Edit: Now that I've read some comments seems like it's likely the devs wanted to use cheaper blu rays on the Series to save on cost. Didn't know UHDs were mandated by Sony for the PS5.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is this because the two discs contain assets made for Series S and X?

I don't think there is much need for XSS code to be delivered on disk. :messenger_beaming:

They've been continuing to use the lower capacity BR disks because the OG X1 can't support the higher capacity disks. That wouldn't effect this game, but since there is no mandate for the high capacity disk, the publishers are free to just do whatever is cheaper at volume.

Last edited:
PS5 version might only have part of the game on the disc, with the rest needing to be downloaded. If that is the case, I'd rather have two discs with the full game vs one disc with only part of the game.

PS5 version might only have part of the game on the disc, with the rest needing to be downloaded. If that is the case, I'd rather have two discs with the full game vs one disc with only part of the game.
That would be very shitty from the publisher if that were the case... especially since they are shipping the game on 2 discs for the XSX. I presume it's just that on the Series X the game comes on 2 regular BD discs while on PS5 it's on a UHD BD disc (Sony mandate) which can store either up to 66GB in standard double layer or 100GB in triple layer format.

Last edited:
That would be very shitty from the publisher if that were the case... especially since they are shipping the game on 2 discs for the XSX. I presume it's just that on the Series X the game comes on 2 regular BD discs while on PS5 it's on a UHD BD disc (Sony mandate) which can store either up to 66GB in standard double layer or 100GB in triple layer format.
The game is already out, so someone should be able to confirm if this is true by now.

Knightime_X

So in short: Ps5 comes on a single disk, but requires you to download the rest of the game.
On Xbox, it's 2 discs, and can be installed fully offline.
But both versions need to download a patch to fix a game breaking bug? or is it just the ps5 version?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's that compression baby!
Its only 64gb install "with 3 add-ons" and latest updates, etc. on my Series X.
Its nothing to do with compression. No Series X games comes in BDXL discs which can contain 100 GB. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is cheaper to produce two regular 50 GB BDs.
Is this because the two discs contain assets made for Series S and X?
Series S does not support physical media. It is digital only.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you're willing to wait there's plenty of games which receive reprints like GOTY editions which usually have all the updates and DLC on disc or cartridge.
Anyway... the argument is not very convincing so I'll stick with physical whenever I'm given the option.

My biggest problem with physical is that I hate collecting trash. And that's what these plastic boxes and discs are too me: trash. I don't care about "OWNING" a game. It's not at all important to me. On PC, game will never become unplayable. There is always a way to play it. Owning businesses, properties, land: yes. Owning plastic trash: no, thanks.

Quezacolt

My biggest problem with physical is that I hate collecting trash. And that's what these plastic boxes and discs are too me: trash. I don't care about "OWNING" a game. It's not at all important to me. On PC, game will never become unplayable. There is always a way to play it. Owning businesses, properties, land: yes. Owning plastic trash: no, thanks.
It might be trash to you, but it isn't for many of us, so at least let us keep our option instead of being an egoist and wishing it would stop existing

On PC it's a different thing since you're not beholden to the will of Sony, MS or Nintendo. Heck, you can even get modern games DRM free. Don't get me wrong I have no issues with digital as I have plenty of digital games myself, but I do have problems with platform holders controlling all the digital distribution methods. Anyway, I won't be paying €80 for the digital version of AAA game at launch when I usually get it much cheaper from retailers (usually around 55 - €60). And on PC, you have more choice, so I can get the next big AAA release from an authorized key reseller like greenmangaming, fanatical or even humble for 15-20% cheaper than the asking price on Steam or whatever.

Anyway, if the next console gen is digital only I'm going back to PC.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
On PC it's a different thing since you're not beholden to the will of Sony, MS or Nintendo. Heck, you can even get modern games DRM free. Don't get me wrong I have no issues with digital as I have plenty of digital games myself, but I do have problems with platform holders controlling all the digital distribution methods. Anyway, I won't be paying €80 for the digital version of AAA game at launch when I usually get it much cheaper from retailers (usually around 55 - €60). And on PC, you have more choice, so I can get the next big AAA release from an authorized key reseller like greenmangaming, fanatical or even humble for 15-20% cheaper than the asking price on Steam or whatever.

Anyway, if the next console gen is digital only I'm going back to PC.

Exactly. One of the many, many reasons why I switched to PC in the middle of last gen and I never looked back.

Bojji

Physical media makes no sense nowadays and it’s a waste of plastic and materials. Not to mention the fact that discs contain outdated buggy code. Yuck.

You prefer not owning anything? Not being able to sell YOUR games?

You know they can ban/delete your account whenever the fuck they want? Same goes for individual games on your purchase list.

AMAZING FUTURE AHEAD!

I swear people like you are making this industry worse for everyone...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
By bet is needs two discs because of the series S.

Because two sets of textures will take more space, so they couldent fit the series X and series S textures all on one disc, as the PS5 only need the higher res textures they can get it on one disc.

Good thing they didn't try for split screen coop, I hear that ones a doosy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom