• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CMA might have leaked NSO will also be available on the Switch successor

Robb

Gold Member
I had already taken this as a given since it’s not free anymore. They’re going to want to keep subscribers for the current service and just move them over to the next system.

Last edited:
Makes sense that it will stick around but the question is will they rename it or is this evidence that the next console will be a true Switch successor in that it will also be named Switch?

Skifi28

The scoop isn't the future of NSO, it's more that this might be evidence of a switch successor.
I don't think anybody expected the switch to be the last Nintendo console ever and last another 10 years, so not exactly blowing our minds here.

Duchess

Ah, I see what's going on.

MS has no interesting in Activision and Call of Duty. What they're really up to is trying to get Sony and Nintendo to spill how they're constantly relegating Xbox to third place :)

BlackTron

Or it's going to be extended to Smartphones or PC

Given the context of their statement, that is very very unlikely.

"We have excluded NSO from shares because it is only available on Switch and every smartphone in the world"

or

"We have excluded NSO from shares because it is only available on Switch and Switch 2"

simpatico

I just had a little splurge where I bought a SNES and a stack of games. Money well spent as I've been enjoying it immensely on an old CRT, and it made me want to buy a Switch. But I'm thinking it might be better to hold off for what comes next. The wait is kinda killing me, so I hope they spill the beans soon. I have no real gripes with the hardware specs since Nintendo first party can still make compelling quality content. For me it's the damn JoyCons. I've got big ass mitts and they just don't work for me. I know there's pro controller, but I really like the idea of handheld mode.

Bridges

Why wouldn't NSO be part of the next Nintendo system? This isn't exactly a scoop.
While I don't disagree, Nintendo has actually started from scratch with each of their last three consoles when it comes to online. Wii/DS had online but no account system, nothing from Wii transferred to Wii U outside of the emulated Wii you could access from the Wii U.

Wii U/3DS has the Nintendo Network, which did use accounts via Nintendo Network IDs, but when the Switch came out they completely abandoned that and changed it all to NSO, which did not migrate any data from your NNID from what I recall other than maybe being able to reuse the login.

Not completely redoing their online services for their next console would actually be a first for them at this point.

BlackTron

I just had a little splurge where I bought a SNES and a stack of games. Money well spent as I've been enjoying it immensely on an old CRT, and it made me want to buy a Switch. But I'm thinking it might be better to hold off for what comes next. The wait is kinda killing me, so I hope they spill the beans soon. I have no real gripes with the hardware specs since Nintendo first party can still make compelling quality content. For me it's the damn JoyCons. I've got big ass mitts and they just don't work for me. I know there's pro controller, but I really like the idea of handheld mode.

Don't blame you for holding out, especially with that SNES, but there are a multitude of replacement joy con or grip options and a used Switch with a game like Kart or Smash is $200 if you can catch the right deal. I never bothered replacing my joycon because as a portable I basically use it like a Game Gear for simple 2D games, anything 3D with dual analog control I need a real gamepad. But some of the more ergonomic joycon knockoffs are very cheap if you look on amazon/ebay.

simpatico

Don't blame you for holding out, especially with that SNES, but there are a multitude of replacement joy con or grip options and a used Switch with a game like Kart or Smash is $200 if you can catch the right deal. I never bothered replacing my joycon because as a portable I basically use it like a Game Gear for simple 2D games, anything 3D with dual analog control I need a real gamepad. But some of the more ergonomic joycon knockoffs are very cheap if you look on amazon/ebay.
Are there 3rd party joycons I could use in handheld mode? All i want is Switch with Xbox quality buttons and sticks attached to it.

BlackTron

Are there 3rd party joycons I could use in handheld mode? All i want is Switch with Xbox quality buttons and sticks attached to it.

There are TONS of options, a very well-known one is the officially licensed HORI split pad, however I think it ONLY works when attached to the system and does not have gyro. But looks just like a full pro/Xbox controller cut in half.

I think it's a tad overkill for a portable device, if it were me I'd probably get a knockoff chunkier joycon with better buttons and sticks, that still works wireless, and has motion control. Whatever combo of features you want, they probably make it. Just go on Amazon and search "Switch Joy Con" and see hundreds of options.

Edit: This has motion control, but not wireless, for $30. They seem like a good grip without being full on giant handled Xbox controller. I might even get one lol. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5ZH3P3D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:
Top Bottom