• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

Fixed hardware with pre-compiled shaders. It's easy on consoles because all consoles are the same. There are also pre-compiled shaders for the Steam deck for instance.

It's not possible to do that on PC but what is possible is to let the game compile the shaders the first time so that way it doesn't exhibit stutters every time it has to compile new shaders. The drawback is that it's quite a long process but it makes for a smoother experience.
Star Ocean 6 does this.

The bad news? You have to recompile them every time you update your GPU drivers or the game is patched.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I'mm be honest, I genuinely believe aside from @rofif most people here are gonna play it in the 60 FPS mode.
Tried both gotta be honest, on PS5 the fidelity drop-off from 30 to 60 fps is drastic. I'm currently playing it in 30fps graphics mode and I do prefer most games at 60fps. You lose a lot and I mean a lot in the swap.

Edited to add: not sure what the fuck reviewers were expecting this is a pretty amazing horror game. so far.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yea stutter in games is basically unplayable. No wonder the game is review bombed on PC. also there is no way they didn't know this issue even they even booted the game up once. Terrible.

Optimize properly for Xbox? Official dev response.

charlie murphy fuck yo couch GIF

This is the XX. confirmation not to buy a game at launch day.
Why are people angry about bad performance on release day.

Hello guys.... THIS IS NORMAL!

Accept the new normal. Just wait four months an then play ist, or better a year. Then you can play it with additional content.

Arioco

I'mm be honest, I genuinely believe aside from @rofif most people here are gonna play it in the 60 FPS mode.

I will for sure.

I mean, of course I do hate losing all that ray traced eye candy, but... 30 fps is a no for me if I have another option. If only the devs had offered a 40 fps mode...
OLED LG owners in 30 mode , anyone tried truemotion to help with smoothness?

But you can only turn on True motion outside Game Mode, right? That will increase imput lag a lot. Maybe it's not that important in this type of game, but it's something to bear in mind.

Samsung does have a frame interpolation feature that you can actually use in Game Mode and only increases input lag a few millisecond. It's not 100% perfect and it can cause some artifact in static elements like the hud, but mostly it works fine. In fact you've just given an idea I might try... 🤔

Thebonehead

Banned
You'd think they'd prioritise performance on the systems that allow easy refunds.

Really fancied the eye candy on the PC at high res / settings / fps

OLED LG owners in 30 mode , anyone tried truemotion to help with smoothness?

I will for sure.

I mean, of course I do hate losing all that ray traced eye candy, but... 30 fps is a no for me if I have another option. If only the devs had offered a 40 fps mode...

But you can only turn on True motion outside Game Mode, right? That will increase imput lag a lot. Maybe it's not that important in this type of game, but it's something to bear in mind.

Samsung does have a frame interpolation feature that you can actually use in Game Mode and only increases input lag a few millisecond. It's not 100% perfect and it can cause some artifact in static elements like the hud, but mostly it works fine. In fact you've just given an idea I might try... 🤔

This won't end well.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Pretty safe to assume what the lead console was.
Will wait for a new patch for XSX or bypass and wait for Dead Space remake.
I’m gonna wait until the Dead Space remake hits the EA Play service, and play that through game pass.

How long do EA games usually take to get on that service?

Buggy Loop

For PC version, don’t AMD or Nvidia fucking check on this before slapping their logo and promo for these shit shows?

Ronin_7

Banned
PS5 version at 60fps pretty solid so far.

Potato S Trash as always, surprised by SX though, that's a great console should be on par with PS5 but apparently PS5 high clocks are really doing the magic Cerny promised.

PC lol

I bought the game for my Xbox Series X because I knew the PC version would have shader compilation stutter (I was right, not that it was hard to guess at!) and skipped the PS5 version because I think the Xbox Series X has a far better implementation of VRR than the PS5's rather basic one (I can play at 30 fps or 60 fps at 120 Hz on my LG B9).

While I am enjoying the game with its quite frankly stunning visuals, gory combat and top-notch atmosphere and think it is really really good, I am a bit disappointed that the Xbox Series X version launched with issues too, though not as bad as on PC. The lack of RT reflections is noticeable as are the framerate dips below 30 fps in the Quality mode which I have mostly been playing the game in. I think RT really adds a lot to this game, enhancing its photo-realistic look, particularly in cutscenes where the character models look incredible, and when you switch to Performance mode (which you cannot do from within the game annoyingly) then the cutdown in the lighting is pretty obvious to me. Also, it is concerning that the Xbox Series X is running worse than the PS5 version in Quality mode when it is lacking RT reflections... makes me wonder how it can possibly run better once the developers fix the RT reflection bug? Did Microsoft exaggerate the Xbox Series X performance lead over the PS5 or is it just an issue with DirectX 12 which the Xbox Series consoles use along with the PC?

The best version should have been the PC where it can do 60+ fps with RT on decent hardware but, sadly, that version launched in a predictably terrible state. I am sure the issues will all be fixed in time - it's clear to me that the developers put a tremendous amount of hard work into crafting this beautiful game - but it saddens me that its reputation has already been tarnished by alarming oversights.

What's' your definition of "optimize"? If PS5 quality mode also didn't have RT reflections and was exactly like XSX, would you question the optimization efforts?

Series S runs the game at 30fps better than Series X while also not ray tracing just like Series X. Do I need to go any further about what's wrong with that picture? 😂

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Series S runs the game at 30fps better than Series X while also not ray tracing just like Series X. Do I need to go any further about what's wrong with that picture? 😂

Series S runs the game at 1080p/30fps with lower asset quality so it makes sense to me at surface level, at least. Btw, I'm not taking a position whether Series versions are suboptimal or not. Just wanted to understand how you came to that conclusion but I digress.

Series S runs the game at 1080p/30fps with lower asset quality so it makes sense to me at surface level, at least. Btw, I'm not taking a position whether Series versions are suboptimal or not. Just wanted to understand how you came to that conclusion but I digress.

Series X is a significantly more capable console compared to Series S. Higher resolution and effects should make not a bit of difference.

Simply put, they're not managing memory correctly on Series X, causing the GPU to use the slower 336GB/s portion of RAM more than it should as opposed to the 10GB of 560GB/s speed 'GPU Optimal' memory.

This is why I can't wait till Sampler Feedback Streaming becomes the norm on Xbox console game engines and in PC game engines. Situations like the current will no longer be a factor. PS5 benefits from its GPU having a simpler 16GB that all runs at 448GB/s so it's GPU is much better fed.

Hell, this game is perfect for something like Tier 2 VRS for all that volumetric fog as well as other effects. The environments are perfect for it. Lots of frametime would have been saved on Xbox just with VRS Tier 2.

But I'm not tripping. This is a game I've said from the beginning on here I would never play since horror at this level and me does not mix. I like less horror/gore centric titles, which is why Scorn was a big ass no for me as well.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hope you’re not gaming and typing at the same time. Your PC needs all the power it can get to run Unreal Engine 4.

Maybe you should take a break and do a defrag (at 100FPS of course).
You're still here? I figured you'd leave out of embarrassment at this point. What's defragging these days? Don't think I've done one of those in over a decade. Kinda became useless once ssds became the norm. You're just now experiencing that of course. We've had it for years.

Buggy Loop

I’m surprised that twitter doesn’t call on Tim Sweeney to fix unreal stutter for his goddamn engine or that Microsoft does not lock dx12 to the pre-start menu rather than on the go.

These are trailing on PC. How come gamers are so passive on this?

Why is Vulkan, dx11 and other engines doing fine other than the above mess?

Last edited:

Hunnybun

As a staunch Xbox player, it's clear that as we go deeper into the generation that the Xbox Series X simply won't be able to compete with the PS5.

The idea that they forgot to turn the RT on for the Xbox is laughable. It's obvious that the machine simply can't run the game with it on, because it is so much less capable than the PS5. The developers are hoping that we just forget about it in time. It's obvious.

The painful truth is that the PS5, with its 5.5 teraflops per second SSD, is a technological triumph.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Apparently the absence of RT on Series X is neither a bug, nor a memory/hardware issue according to NXGamer (his video still processing):

Buggy Loop

As a staunch Xbox player, it's clear that as we go deeper into the generation that the Xbox Series X simply won't be able to compete with the PS5.

The idea that they forgot to turn the RT on for the Xbox is laughable. It's obvious that the machine simply can't run the game with it on, because it is so much less capable than the PS5. The developers are hoping that we just forget about it in time. It's obvious.

The painful truth is that the PS5, with its 5.5 teraflops per second SSD, is a technological triumph.

VkLCmVp.gif

SLB1904

Banned

d95.gif

GHG

For PC version, don’t AMD or Nvidia fucking check on this before slapping their logo and promo for these shit shows?

AMD "optimisation". You know the rest.

This is so bad it makes me want to buy an overpriced 4080 to save the planet from more AMD optimisation work.

Top Bottom