• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

FingerBang

So it has m+kb support, right?
Seems to be melee heavy so not sure m+kb is really the way to go for this one lol

There used to be a time when PC games could easily brute force their way to perfection, but those days seem to be over when games now struggle even on the highest of high end machines because of shader compilation issues and poor multithreading support.
This seems to be way too common in UE4 but not everywhere else. This game is an extreme example though.

Looks like the Xbox version needed to be in the oven a bit more. Great that we see a 60 fps option, even if it cuts ray tracing off ( which has been par for the course on those options).
I guess the version to play right now if you need to play will be PS5.

Elios83

It's good that Sony helped them to deliver a solid technical implementation on PS5.
And it shows how competent these people are, unfortunately the game doesn't seem to be that good according to reviews so I'll wait until they add it to PS+ Extra next year.

Haggard

Banned
So basically they rushed the game out of the door to hit the market before the Dead Space remake instead of giving it another sorely needed 3+ months in the oven.

Mister Wolf

Fixed hardware with pre-compiled shaders. It's easy on consoles because all consoles are the same. There are also pre-compiled shaders for the Steam deck for instance.

It's not possible to do that on PC but what is possible is to let the game compile the shaders the first time so that way it doesn't exhibit stutters every time it has to compile new shaders. The drawback is that it's quite a long process but it makes for a smoother experience.

I will gladly take that longer process every single time. We wait months and even years to play some of these games. It's silly for people to cry over an additional 30 minutes possibly. A couple of people on steam bitched about Star Ocean making us compile the shaders but the majority of us were glad for it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't understand WTF is going on with PC gaming and UE4. Are they trying to sabotage PC gaming on purpose or something? Don't developers see the stutters when they test the games?

Hard pass on this one and every future UE4 game because f this engine, already ruined so many games for me.

It's not possible to do that on PC but what is possible is to let the game compile the shaders the first time so that way it doesn't exhibit stutters every time it has to compile new shaders. The drawback is that it's quite a long process but it makes for a smoother experience.

PC games never had this issue for decades. Only UE4 games in the last few years exhibit this issue. This is not a PC issue, this is a shitty engine and developers issue.

Last edited:
I will gladly take that longer process every single. We wait months and even years to playing some of these games. It's silly for people to cry over an additional 30 minutes possibly. A couple of people on steam bitched about Star Ocean making us compile the shaders but the majority of us were glad for it.

A half hour is far too long if that's how long it takes to compile them all. But what they are doing now is not the right approach either.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So in light of this, let's have a little informal poll.

How many people are actually going to play this game at 30 FPS for the visuals over 60 FPS ?

How spoilery is this ?

Not at all. The game reportedly has a very sparse story anyway.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I will gladly take that longer process every single time. We wait months and even years to play some of these games. It's silly for people to cry over an additional 30 minutes possibly. A couple of people on steam bitched about Star Ocean making us compile the shaders but the majority of us were glad for it.
30 minutes??? What game? Even HZD at launch was like 5min at worst.

Mister Wolf

A half hour is far too long if that's how long it takes to compile them all. But what they are doing now is not the right approach either.

Took me like under 10 minutes to compile star ocean's shaders with a 5800X3D. The people that complained on Steam most likely had old CPUs. Star Ocean even had a toggle to compile the shaders in the graphics menu. That's the best way to handle it. If people want to compile in realtime well they can have at it. I'll gladly wait for the silky smooth experience.

Last edited:
Took me like under 10 minutes to compile star ocean's shaders with a 5800X3D. The people that complained on Steam most likely had old CPUs. Star Ocean even had a toggle to compile the shaders in the graphics menu. That's the best way to handle it. If people want to compile in realtime well they can have at it. I'll gladly wait for the silky smooth experience.

That's still fairly long. Doing the shader compiliation during the loading time for the current level makes some sense?

wonder how much jimbo paid for them to gimp the Xbox version

Jimbo:

I Didnt Do It Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

3liteDragon

So how long should it take if someone chose to compile all their shaders on boot? Does it make a big difference depending on the game or are the wait times similar regardless?

Mister Wolf

So how long should it take if someone chose to compile all their shaders on boot? Does it make a big difference depending on the game or are the wait times similar regardless?

Depends on the performance of your CPU. With Star Ocean some people said it took them an hour while for some including myself it was a 10 minutes tops.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So in light of this, let's have a little informal poll.

How many people are actually going to play this game at 30 FPS for the visuals over 60 FPS ?
Based on what John has said Quality Mode
Not at all. The game reportedly has a very sparse story anyway.
Cool.
I'll judge myself as far as the games quality goes.
Reviews are too over the place and I'll probably disagree anyway.
John seems to enjoy and be in impressed with it which if reviews was accurate he would have said so.
And as for the performance and graphic problems on other platforms.
I don't think anyone wrote off Bayonetta based on the PS3 version did they.

GymWolf

As a 4090 owner this graph represents pure horror for me. I'll get it for PS5 if I have time next week and if not, I'll get it when it's fixed on PC sometime next year.
If you buy the ps5 version you can play on vita via remote play if a big oled is too much to handle:messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Is not the game already supposed to be creating shaders on load?
I'm no tech guru, but I've heard it's the case that some engines/games will load before you get into the level, which requires much longer load times, but other games will load in-game and can cause issues like the stutter people have mentioned.

If I'm wrong, everyone feel free to correct

Jayjayhd34

My rig must magical as I'm not getting anywhere near level of stutter had with devil in me hardly any at all might post videos to proof this if get the time I'm supposed to be working.

Filben

- You cannot change graphical settings (other than resolution) in real time, must be done in main menus
wtf. I hate this shit. Having to restart a game is the worst but this is still annoying as fuck. I'm still baffled over how so many games these games have that issue while others, even on the same bloody engine can change graphics on the fly.

Spoken like a true game dev.

Create an unfinished thread and patch it later.
He forgot the road map though and the "we hear you" tweets.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The stutter isnt even the real problem. The real problem is that the game is being bottlenecked by the CPU in ray tracing mode with GPU utilization dipping to just 50% while maxing out at 36 fps. That means your fancy $1,600 4090 is seeing half of its cores just sitting there turned off not doing anything because the shitty lazy hacks of devs didnt bother optimizing the game.

Top Bottom