• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

k_trout

oof pc stutterfest
unreal4 keeps winning on pc, kind of sits unpleasantly having spent 49.99 on this
dev's feel ok releasing this in this state on pc?

ok not just shader stutter, real varying performance no matter what the settings

Last edited:

apowhungo

The comparison between this and Dead Space are obvious but Black Iron feels quite different from the Ishimura. The whole game has a different mood if you ask me.

Just beat the first chapter, yeah my impression right now is that it's a slightly shittier Dead Space (they steal WAY TOO MUCH from it - the score, the stomping, japanese letters that have no relevance here) but with great visuals.

7.5/10 still glad I bought deluxe edish to support the devs even trying something like this.
Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

TrebleShot

Hearing it runs great on PS5 and not so great on PC.

This along with other PC release issues has me feeling like it’s the PS3 / 360 era for PC games again.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
erm...anyone that plays this....

how the fuck do you dodge LOL?? doesnt seem consistent for me or im doing something wrong here

Neolombax

I can't stomach horror games, but this game intrigued me. Seems to me the enemy design is less interesting compared to Necromorphs? Also weapons seem less interesting,

Saiyan-Rox

Reviews aside I got my copy for £40 so I'm more than happy to play.

As long as it arrives today with the postage strikes.

lh032

seems like ps5 runs smooth for me, not sure why some people says the game stutters?

Nickolaidas

It's the Elden Ring release all over again.

The PC version issues will be all fixed within a week but that won't stop the pc audience from shitting on the game for half a year.

xrnzaaas

The game runs great on PS5. I'm playing in the performance mode and for the majority of the time it's super smooth and it still looks very good & very sharp (not a blurry mess you can expect from some other games played in PF mode). Sure, there are some occasional small stutters when turning or entering a brand new location, but they're not major and they don't ruin the experience.

GymWolf

I think I recall watching something in which the developers said they wanted the movement and every action you do to be deliberate.
It is not that, it's just the stick requiring the full movement and not half assed movements for some reasons.
The framerate was hardly locked in both mode on ps5 with the patch 1.4 but on reee someone said that 1.5 make framerate better.

I played 3 hours of the 1.4 and it was choppy in both modes.

Hopefully the new one really solved the problem.

GymWolf

erm...anyone that plays this....

how the fuck do you dodge LOL?? doesnt seem consistent for me or im doing something wrong here
Don't halfass the stick movement, push to end run and keep it for like half a second, it is pretty annoying yeah.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can't stomach horror games, but this game intrigued me. Seems to me the enemy design is less interesting compared to Necromorphs? Also weapons seem less interesting,
Yeah, enemy design always looked way worse than dead space, zombies with some yellow pimples do nothing for me, hopefully they get better later.

lh032

Don't halfass the stick movement, push to end run and keep it for like half a second.
does the directional matters? like if they hit you with right arm, i dodge with left? seems to be working randomly...

skit_data

Are there any combat mechanic ”gimmicks” similar to the dismemberment system in Dead Space in this? Feels like I’ve been waiting for them to reveal combat is based around something similar but it just never happened? Is it all just ”blast em til they’re dead”?

It was a pretty strong and unique system so I’m a little let down if it’s missing those aspects

tommib

It is not that, it's just the stick requiring the full movement and not half assed movements for some reasons.

The framerate was hardly locked in both mode on ps5 with the patch 1.4 but on reee someone said that 1.5 make framerate better.

I played 3 hours of the 1.4 and it was choppy in both modes.

Hopefully the new one really solved the problem.
I had a patch coming in before I started to play my digital copy. 0 frame rate problems. Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT how was your experience?

Last edited:

mxbison

Sorry but this looks rough as hell.

Whats up with the camera shift when switching from melee to aiming? I thought my stream lagged lol.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It's the Elden Ring release all over again.

The PC version issues will be all fixed within a week but that won't stop the pc audience from shitting on the game for half a year.

This could have been avoided if they just gave an option to precompile the shaders. Even the latest Star Ocean on PC gave us an option to do that in the graphics menu. People can shit on Tri-Ace games but at least they are competent enough as a developer to address a widely known problem for PC gaming when shipping their PC port.

Knightime_X

This game is kinda dog shit
Refunded it.
Didn't find it fun at all.
It's a shame too, because I was really looking forward to this. Oh well.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Are there any combat mechanic ”gimmicks” similar to the dismemberment system in Dead Space in this? Feels like I’ve been waiting for them to reveal combat is based around something similar but it just never happened? Is it all just ”blast em til they’re dead”?

It was a pretty strong and unique system so I’m a little let down if it’s missing those aspects
I'm still pretty early on in the game but it seem you have to use all the tools you have to your advantage. It's not just: "blast em til they’re dead". Ammo is very limited and guns are something that will help you, not something you can rely on. One enemy was spitting something at me and kept it's distance. Shooting off his head with one bullet changed that. Also you gain more melee attacks. Again, pretty early on in the game. The upgrades just started to come in.

What? I’m just asking how is the framerate on SX ..?

I haven't seen the videos of it. But hopefully its good. All I've seen are the few rough spots in the PS5 version but I'm not sure if it's game breaking.

Comparison sites will definitely reveal everything.

High framerates? Don't think so. Regularly drops to 20 FPS without RT even on a RTX 3080.

Struggle is real.

That definitely shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

does the directional matters? like if they hit you with right arm, i dodge with left? seems to be working randomly...
The direction only count when enemies do combos, never evade in the same direction twice.

For single hits direction should not matter.

You just need to push the stick with force and end his run and keep it there for like half a second, just play like you are trying to break your controller.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would also suggest to play in Performance mode, the artifact at 30 FPS are quite noticeable. It's actually quite reminiscent of Plague Tale on RT mode.

Also combat is fine. So far not seeing that jank everybody spoke about.

tommib

I would also suggest to play in Performance mode, the artifact at 30 FPS are quite noticeable. It's actually quite reminiscent of Plague Tale on RT mode.

Also combat is fine. So far not seeing that jank everybody spoke about.
I would like to have a clear analysis between modes. I played in quality and it looked fantastic. I’m afraid to lose too much of those yummy visuals in performance mode.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would like to have a clear analysis between modes. I played in quality and it looked fantastic. I’m afraid to lose too much of those yummy visuals in performance mode.
I actually think that it looks crisp, suck that you cannot switch those modes on the fly. I didn't like those "halos" when you very spinning camera around the player character.

Arachnid

I started on the hardest difficulty and I've been having a fun time. Main points of contention:

My audio bugged out hard in the intro. The main character sounded like a robot all the way up until I exited and fixed it by messing with audio settings (around when he got to the planet). This was annoying since I could barely hear him and it took me out of the argument with his co-piolet (he sounded like wall-e on low sound).

Insane frame rate drops in the intro. I'm not one to care about stuff like this usually, but the intro was a bit egregious to the point where I just restarted (and then it happened again).

After that, no problems. I'm a few chapters in. Another (somewhat) complaint is that the dodge mechanic makes this too easy (even on hard). I don't get people ITT struggling. It feels like Dark Souls in that once you remember a specific enemy's combo, you can dodge it and punish perfectly every time. I think I've shot my weapon a total of 5 times so far, and I'm three chapters in. Definitely don't understand people saying the dodge is inconsistent. As long as you time it well and understand the pattern, it works every time (at least with the three enemy types I've encountered so far; haven't dodged the ranged sac/crawling enemies yet).

tl;dr: I'm loving the experience, but some technical difficulty and not much actual game difficulty so far. Dead Space is (at this point) superior. Still worth the buy for me, and I'm loving it.

Top Bottom