• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Caligula Effect (Atlus/FuRyu, PSV) digital LE detailed, more English screens

Chaos17

There are 500+ NPCs to recruit into the party to be used in combat.
Holy shit!

I dropped it after the first few dungeons, but up until that point it was just a whole lot of "oh no, we're being targeted by this guy. we gotta find info on this guy."

It was honestly very boring and sparse. Maybe that changes later on, but I wasn't about to stick around for it.
You know that's what I totaly feel about Persona 5, only chapter 4 then 6 feed you with main story infos (probably 7 too since it's end game) but the other chapters ? You can rewrite them with no prblem since they have such little impact and are just there to introduce new random big vilain with a new camarade.
The problem of that combo ? None are fully fleshed neither really tied to main story. That's why you could rewrite those shallow chapters with no problem, they're just fillers for me. Yet, lot of people like it.

18-Volt

It's too bad this game is, by all accounts, quite bad. FuRyu can't be trusted.

Man, Legend of Legacy left a bad taste on everyone's mouths, didn't it. Which is unfortunate, because I kinda liked that game. Very basic job based RPG, art and music was pretty good.

Still it's the only bad OC game FuRyu had made so far, their other two projects, Exstetra and Lost Dimension were pretty solid.

FDC1

I read a french review yesterday after it was announced for the West. They gave the game 14/20 saying it has a lot of technical problems but has a great story and great characters

Tsukasa Masuko (composer of SMT I & II, Devil Summoner on Saturn/PSX) also worked on this. Dude went missing for years after he left Atlus Japan along with Koji Okada (creator of Persona and SMT) and their whole new IPs failed, so it was nice to see this soundtrack was by Masuko. Some nice tunes in there.

Gunkankun

Holy shit!

You know that's what I totaly feel about Persona 5, only chapter 4 then 6 feed you with main story infos (probably 7 too since it's end game) but the other chapters ? You can rewrite them with no prblem since they have such little impact and are just there to introduce new random big vilain with a new camarade.
The problem of that combo ? None are fully fleshed neither really tied to main story. That's why you could rewrite those shallow chapters with no problem, they're just fillers for me. Yet, lot of people like it.

Exactly my sentiment! Dont see it coming up to often but chapters are mostly self contained focussing on one bad guy which have been hit or miss for me, with every other line discussing Kamoshida or whoever. But I guess the same could be said for persona 4s first half to some extent.

Back on topic: If the story and characters are great then ill definitely pick this up. Technical difficulties dont bother me as much as long as the story is solid.

qpp7IqK.jpg
People are complaining about P5's localisation, but I think the real crime here is actually using "omurice", that's on par with keikaku.

Sorry for the bump, but anyone have any idea how long this is on average?

There are so many Vita JRPGs out next month I'm wondering if I'll manage to finish any of them...

cj_iwakura

Eusis

People are complaining about P5's localisation, but I think the real crime here is actually using "omurice", that's on par with keikaku.
Is that short for omelette rice? If so that's kind of an English mash up anyway.

If it's some other food though then... uhhh, was there really no alternative?

I was looking forward to it, but then the JP release came and went and it was like no one was really interesting in talking about the game. Which doesn't inspire confidence. I'll cross my fingers and wait for reviews with this one.

hongcha

Still it's the only bad OC game FuRyu had made so far, their other two projects, Exstetra and Lost Dimension were pretty solid.

I think I'm one of the few people who actually finished Exstetra, but I really liked that game. It's Furyu's best game IMO.

Shizuka

I think I'm one of the few people who actually finished Exstetra, but I really liked that game. It's Furyu's best game IMO.

I still don't know how that game never got localized back in the day. A solid 3DS/Vita JRPG when there weren't many, but games like Unchained Blades and Conception still made it over.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Virtually everyone who has played the game has bad things to say about it. I wouldn't expect much of anything from it.

The only good thing is honestly the combat system, though that is brought down by how the enviros at times get in the way of the combos chaining properly.

Though am sure that will get old for pretty much anyone due to how much fighting you will be doing regardless.

Outside of that the music is good. Besides that not much else to really say and not exactly a title I would suggest to others.

Character artwork is nice though that is not exactly a reason to buy the game either.

Also what Ryouga says is pretty accurate

There's nothing to tell. The characters were all just generic stereotypes for the time I played. Zero character development, but the story at this chunk is more focused on "someone is out to get us! Let's find out who!" It's literally that simple. The first handful of hours all take place within a school dungeon that just copies and pastes rooms and hallways seemingly endlessly. The atmosphere in this chunk of the game is also hard to describe when literally every environment is just the same hallway and square rooms, followed by the same human enemy types.

Satomi Tadashi likely only came up with a basic scenario and FuRyu is using the name to sell their game.

Like they often do.

If you have actual high expectations going into this, well. Sorry? Hopefully you find more to like here than I did, but this isn't even remotely close to Persona or Persona 2 in terms of the quality of gameplay OR narrative. They honestly shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Caligula.

The devs behind SAO: Infinity Moment / Hollow Fragment / Realization did this game so those familiar with Hollow Fragment will recognize some of the mechanics used. Esp the most unfortunate one which is how to raise affinity with the generic characters basically spamming conversation till the predetermined cap is met. It even uses either the same or very similar musical note graphic when done also lol.

Top Bottom