• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FuRyu announces Caligula (school RPG) from Persona 1/2 writer

Yasumi

Banned
I really want to be excited for this, but Furyu. It could be cool, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Atlus usually localizes FuRyu games right? Though, I can't remember them localizing any Vita exclusives that wasn't Persona.

Maybe having previous Persona writers will increase the chances of this getting localized.
Dungeon Travelers 2 was fairly recent.

Famassu

What is with America and space marines with bald heads?
While it's boring art design, at least buff, bald military men make sense in the kind of games they are usually in. Girls in belly shirts & shorter than short mini-skirts (that leave very little room for imagination & very much room for panty shots) battling ancient demons from hell is obviously just for the pandering & objectification of women.

While it's boring art design, at least buff, bald military men make sense in the kind of games they are usually in. Girls in belly shirts & shorter than short mini-skirts (that leave very little room for imagination & very much room for panty shots) battling ancient demons from hell is obviously just for the pandering & objectification of women.

yes, having girls with skirts in schools is extremely unrealistic. And why would anyone ever battle demons in videogames. Silly Japanese developers

but hey, let's go, let's have this discussion in every thread about Japanese games with literally zero information

They localized Lost Dimension which had previous SMT developers on it. But it also had a PS3 version. You never know, I guess (depends how the game turns out too).

I forgot that they also localized Conception 2 (which sold better on Vita) and DT2 so my hope is stronger. They really are a wild card publisher lol

I will say that most of these games are rated for teenagers. It's almost like they're meant for teenage guys to play. And include things that appeal to teenage guys.

So is the game going to have spliced in scenes of hentai that the main staff isn't aware of?

Honestly, I expected something way different from Japan with that title.

casiopao

Umm. Short skirts is like one of the things which makes sense in school setting lol.

Falk

that puzzling face

It might surprise you to know that thighs make people uncomfortable a lot less than cleavage in Japan.

Cikay

I love the plot of Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, it was fresh, dense and absolutely crazy. Tadashi Satomi also wrote the script for Digital Devil Saga (from Yu Godai's original scenario), so that's another proof of how a talented writer he can be.

But the latest FuRyu title had Masato Kato as a writer... and no story was to be found. So I'll keep my expectations low for this new game's story.

In Caligula the students are trapped in Mobius, a virtual reality world where those within it repeatedly relive the three years of an ideal high school. Those inside Mobius continue to live with no recollection of the real world.
The main characters begin to come to their own realizations that they’re not living in the real world, and form a “Return Group,” as part of their own desires to return to the real world, and begin to find a way to do just that.
However, there are some members that suffered in the real world and were saved by Mobius, as they have a hidden darkness that can’t be shared with others.
Mobius is an ideal world that was created by the vocal soft “μ.” Here, there are those that were in despair in the real world and were saved by her song that granted them ideal situations. Regardless of age and gender, those in Mobius become high schoolers and relive its three years in a loop.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/2...m_campaign=Feed:+siliconera/MkOc+(Siliconera)

Also the scan has "Can you kill an idol?" on it, looks like it's going to be a commentary on idol worship and japanese's love with high school. This is gonna be fun.

Shizuka

Atlus usually localizes FuRyu games right? Though, I can't remember them localizing any Vita exclusives that wasn't Persona.

Maybe having previous Persona writers will increase the chances of this getting localized.

Dungeon Travelers 2 was a localized Vita exclusive.

I'll be interested to see if this turns out alright. Not really going to get excited since FuRyu doesn't have the greatest track record, but I'll keep my eyes on it.

nukedeggs

Vocaloid, Persona, and 'taboos'...I'm intrigued, but I've also been burned by Japanese anime RPGs a few times too many in the past few months. Here's hopin.

KainXVIII

If it doesn't have this guy:

11572-2782.gif

I'll be pretty disappointed...

This one is better

tumblr_mt30weFOch1r45zj4o1_r1_400.gif

It's by the same devs as the team who created Hollow Fragment.

Hollow Fragment was a good game but lacked a good story, maybe this will be good.

If it doesn't have this guy:

11572-2782.gif

I'll be pretty disappointed...

Reminds me of the time I checked out Caligula for the first time (and only time) and my roommate walked into the room with a big bowl of spaghetti during that "one particular scene". Haha. Yeah...he lost his appetite.

They did Dungeon Travelers 2? Then I am all fucking in. I have like 200 hours in that damn game.

Super good game if you can work past the slimy veneer of fan service infesting every corner of it.

They did Dungeon Travelers 2? Then I am all fucking in. I have like 200 hours in that damn game.

Super good game if you can work past the slimy veneer of fan service infesting every corner of it.

No, FuRyu funded Legend of Legacy and Lost Dimension, both of which were picked up by Atlus for localization. People were commenting on the likelihood of Atlus picking this up for the west and people were just pointing out that Atlus picked up Dungeon Travelers 2 which was a Vita exclusive.

DT2 is made by Sting and published by Aquaplus iirc (and they're working on a direct sequel atm).

Dark_castle

I love the plot of Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, it was fresh, dense and absolutely crazy. Tadashi Satomi also wrote the script for Digital Devil Saga (from Yu Godai's original scenario), so that's another proof of how a talented writer he can be.

But the latest FuRyu title had Masato Kato as a writer... and no story was to be found. So I'll keep my expectations low for this new game's story.

I'm not certain, but I believe Kato was credited only as text planner in that game, which probably only means he's involved in pieces of dialogue, not the entire plot or scenario direction.

kiryogi

Banned
Considering the trend of their releases, although I don't think staff matches up. is FuRyu this gen's ImageEpoch?

Yasumi

Banned
It's funny, this is pretty much what I wanted out of #FE, rather than the entertainment industry fluff piece we ended up with. And it's got the P1/2 writer attached to it. If Furyu can actually attach decent gameplay to some potentially solid writing, this might actually turn out well.

kiryogi

Banned
Gotta admit despite FuRyu, my interest is piqued due to the Love Live U's gals involvement. So that special CD would be nice to have.

Top Bottom