• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Caligula Effect: Overdose is coming to the West on PC, Switch, and PS4

Battlechili

Banned
NIS America announced today at Anime Expo 2018 that they're bringing The Caligula Effect: Overdose, an Unreal Engine remake of the Furyu Vita RPG Caligula, to the West on PC (via Steam), Nintendo Switch, and Playstation 4 in early 2019.
Steam's game description:
Steam said:
Mobius. An idyllic world that exists for the sake of letting people forget about the pain and problems of reality. In this world created by a sentient vocaloid program, μ (Mu), reality and fantasy has become blurred, allowing people to relive their high school years in bliss. Yet in this seemingly beautiful and perfect world, something is amiss.

Escape from this false paradise with your fellow students and return to reality in The Caligula Effect: Overdose!

Key Features:
  • An Overdose of New Features - The Caligula Effect: Overdose boasts enhanced visuals and gameplay! Explore new scenarios, endings, and the “Forbidden Musician Route” while escaping the virtual world of Mobius.
  • The New Faces of Kishimai High - Play as the newly added female protagonist! Plus, meet two new members of the Go-Home Club, who each have their own new Ostinato Musician to face.
  • Use the Imaginary Chain! - Turn-based battle meets exhilarating action in this refined JRPG battle system! Develop a flawless strategy after using the Imaginary Chain to predict what your enemies will do next!
  • Unite and Escape - Sometimes, it’s hard to go it alone. Befriend over 500 other students in this imaginary paradise to improve your skills in battle and ultimately return to reality.
Trailer:

Source

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
I'm really excited. I originally thought Atlus would localize this for PS4 only and there'd be a Ghostlight port years down the line for PC (since they ported Lost Dimension). The fact that NISA is localizing it for three platforms all at once is really cool and helps speed things along. I love this game's style. Its music is amazing and its art style is incredibly distinct. Localizing it just after the anime finished is also really smart, especially since the anime wasn't half bad.
Looks like a lower budget Persona 5. I am intrigued
I'm not surprised, haha. Its by the writer of Persona 2.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
The best news are that they didn't announce Cold Steel 3

Topic: Awesome news. Gonna buy it

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
Interested but the fact that NISA is bringing it over gives me pause.
If it means anything, Atlus already translated the original so there's not much they could damage localization wise. Plus it's an Unreal Engine game so the ports should be fine.

kunonabi

Awesome news. I never got around to the vita version since they announced the ps4 version for Japan before I could pick it up.

Barakov

If it means anything, Atlus already translated the original so there's not much they could damage localization wise. Plus it's an Unreal Engine game so the ports should be fine.
That's good to hear.
What's with the NISA hate recently ?
Basically the Ys VIII stuff. Messing up all three versions to various degrees has put myself and other on edge a bit whenever they announce they bringing over a new game.

Battlechili

Banned
Well, they kept repeatedly messing up Ys VIII with each new port as well as during the initial translation. The PC version is still pretty bad from what I understand. Though, NISA hate isn't a new thing really. Their localizations are frequently questionable (with the infamous "Esty Dee" from Atelier being one of the main ones people bring up), and they censored Criminal Girls 1/2 and Mugen Souls 1/2. Plus they introduce bugs not present in original versions of games in some cases, with the most infamous there being Witch and the Hundred Knight PS3, which had crashing problems and overheated PS3s. There's more but I dunno all the issues they've done off the top of my head.
Personally I think people overblow NISA's issues to a degree, but they definitely have enough of a history to earn a distrust from fans. Particularly Falcom fans as the series never had any porting or translation problems prior to NISA picking up Ys.

DiscoJer

They apparently acidentially released the whole Disgaea 5 for PC as the demo (or at least accessible through the demo by editing the save game) so rather than release the proper game, they've delayed it indefinitely.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Unfortunately, Xseed is the one to blame. I'm not acquainted to the company's health or such, but it's way past time they expanded their manpower.

Not only it costed them lose a contract on the series they help to popularize in the west (way better than Konami) but this fact will hinder future ones as well it for not being able to deliver ports as prolific as Nisa. It's on their court, and Falcom doesn't care for anything but money and ways to profit off these partnerships -no matter the quality control

Nihon Falcom adamantly refuses to increase their 50 man crew and instead keep making contracts to whoever offers good conditions, like Kadokawa, those Chinese dorky ports with the Evo series and now Nisa.

Last edited:

Doom85

Definitely will be picking it up. I put a few hours on the Vita version but while the gameplay elements were fine the atrocious framerate killed my enjoyment. I imagine a PS4 version should run more smoothly.

Top Bottom