• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Althane

Wow the keeper is not fun to play.

Tips for Keeper:

1) Always leave pennies lying around. They're more important for your health than they are for buying things.

2) NEVER take a 2 heart deal with devil.

3) If there's a 1-heart deal with devil, only take it if you immediately have a Strength card or other HP boosting item (health down pill, Breakfast, etc) available.

4) Curse rooms ARE NOT WORTH IT.

5) Re-rolling Lost-style is encouraged (until your first item room gives you something decent, B or A tier items).

6) Swallowed Penny >>> All other Trinkets. If you can get Smelter, then you're pretty well set.

7) Blood donation machines should only be used if you have PhD, and even then, carefully. Swallowed penny + Blood donation machines will help a lot as well.

Since several of those are up to luck/re-rolling, I'd agree that the Keeper is not really fun.

UberTag

I had one of my more riveting Isaac runs in a long time earlier this morning. Was tackling the Darkness Falls challenge with two Guppy pieces, Mom's Knife, Shoop Da Whoop but otherwise little to no damage. Dark Bum was the hero of this run as he kept giving me a health security net but it got super dicey after the Womb... which included 3 full clears with The Left Hand (courtesy of a Forget Me Not dice room) in hopes of landing that final Guppy drop.

As I transitioned over to Sheol I promptly ran out of health and started eating through Cat Lives as I let Dark Bum drop a handful of soul hearts around the map which I refused to pick up as I knew I would need that health for Satan. Hit the final challenge room with 3 cat lives remaining and... after some 50+ red chests, Guppy's Collar materializes out of thin air in an 11th hour Guppy grab. I let out a yell of joy, scooped up my soul hearts and bested Satan with one heart remaining.

Runs like that are why I play this game.

Crooked Penny and Deep Pockets are the only worthwhile Keeper unlocks IMO, which makes it even more frustrating.

Tears Up is really really good with Keeper, because unlike normal Triple Shot the Keeper's Triple shot is actually a tear down, and not a negative tear delay effect. So Tears Up pills help the Keeper far more than they would a character with Triple Shot, and the thin odd mushroom is highly effective.

Alternatively I find that piercing shots help a lot...prevents those massive fly rooms from being nearly as much of a pain due to the Keeper's low base fire rate.

Meia

9 lives also helps with the Keeper, if for no other reason that you can get free devil room items(for the most part). Of course, you get res'd with one health, just have to hope you don't get hit. :p

But yeah, harder to play than the Lost, which is sad to say.

Will F

Was trying to do the Aprils Fools challenge, it was going so well then about 3/4 of the way through I got greedy and used an item - of course it turns out to be Glass Cannon. Almost gave up right there, but decided to keep going. Got super lucky by getting the Dead Cat shortly afterwards and somehow managed to get it together and actually finished the run with a couple lives to spare, but damn that was tense!

Vashetti

Banned
I'm on PS4 and don't have Afterbirth, and obviously not Afterbirth+, but this is the current Isaac thread, so...

Really bummed out on the game at the moment. Working through the trophies and I'm trying to get a run going to beat Satan as Lazarus but RNG isn't being kind to me :(

jmartoine

Really bummed out on the game at the moment. Working through the trophies and I'm trying to get a run going to beat Satan as Lazarus but RNG isn't being kind to me :(

Sometimes runs just fall into place. Playing through again on the Switch and also had bad RNG with Lazarus going for Satan. Gave up and changed to Samson and did it first try with some godly RNG.

h0tp0ck3t

Deaths touch, tons of damage ups, bible. Runs in the bag right? Nope curse of the blind + Ipecac + Teratoma spiders all over the whole room = :(

I wish I were Greedier mode right now.

C9AReFgU0AE-znZ.jpg

Edit: The stupid greed machine jammed only 1 coin in, dammit

I finally beat I Rule. Never need to use the knife again. Hopefully you people are happy.

I used the Void + Mystery Gift exploit to generate about 20 Devil items, and just steam rolled

Are you using the same character again and again?

I've been switching around so I won't the jam percentage won't get past 10% at most, and the thing still decides to jam itself at 2% in a matter of seconds

Ah. Yeah, that's just bad luck lol

I have less than 100 coins left before I get the Keeper, then I'll never touch Greed mode unless it's for a completion mark

Persona7

Banned
I just noticed my box has these weird wavy lines all over it. Plastic and the box art is warped. Anyone notice this? I looked on youtube and noticed the same thing on unboxing videos.

bosh

Owning the game for a third time, its scary how quick my hours have racked up on the Switch. Getting close to 50 hours now.

The last two days I can't stop playing. Whatever the case RNG has been a kind soul. Typically play a few runs a day bu tthis morning I played for hours. Killed Isaac two runs in a row, within ten runs killed Isaac four times, Satan once spread across 4 different characters. The game knows how to hook you and never...want...to....stop

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
On ps4 so I only have afterbirth but finally got godhead and RPG after having the damn game since launch lol Just need to beat mega satan with keeper (god he sucks) and get the item that unlocks.

Any word on afterbirth+ for ps4 yet? Seriously the fuck nicoleus? Taking your sweet ass time.

Ziocyte

So my family got me a switch pro controller and a bunch of eshop cards for my birthday. I went ahead and purchased BoI. I had played it on the Wii U but never once made it to mom. I understood the basic premise, and a few times had some pretty good item synergy to get a run going, but for whatever reason could never make it through the last stage. Well, that all changed as soon as I got the switch version. I beat
mom's foot
on my inaugural Switch run. My first ever. Then a few runs later beat
mom's heart
. Obviously, also a first for me. I've been getting tons of unlocks and I feel I'm learning at a much faster pace. Is this version slightly easier or more forgiving early on? I'm not sure what's changed.

Also, not sure if this is common for people who play BoI on console, but I find that using two joysticks for movement / aiming feels much faster than d-bad / buttons.

I'm having a blast with the game, and it's a great way to spend some time now that I'm down to my last few shrines on Zelda.

mstevens

Is there a concise guide to the post-mom heart side of the game? I have 17 mom heart kills so far, but I'm confused which paths to take once I kill her... going into the light, going down a level, or into the cave wall I see sometimes where hush is etc. I beat hush last run, but delirium destroyed me. I'm also not sure what the polaroids do.

Still loving the game, just need some directions or a clear goal. Maybe start beating moms heart with other characters besides Isaac?

AoM

Is there a concise guide to the post-mom heart side of the game? I have 17 mom heart kills so far, but I'm confused which paths to take once I kill her... going into the light, going down a level, or into the cave wall I see sometimes where hush is etc. I beat hush last run, but delirium destroyed me. I'm also not sure what the polaroids do.

Still loving the game, just need some directions or a clear goal. Maybe start beating moms heart with other characters besides Isaac?

Initiate ms paint: http://i.imgur.com/j8hCNqZ.png

Void after Hush is the only guaranteed way for it to spawn, but it can spawn as early as the foot. The big door in the chest and dark room will need angel pieces or an item like dad's key to open.

Rizzi

Trying to get the completion mark for blue baby in greedier mode because haha fuck greedier mode why would I ever play this awful shit for fun? Literally nothing but hp upgrades.
Awesome.

I'm running dangerously low on achievements for this game that don't involve Greedier mode, Keeper or Afterbirth's challenges.

Ultra Hard and Lost on Greed mode at least won't be completely unfun. And "It's the Key" which I just need to victory lap cheese with the right build that won't accidentally pick up coins like every other attempt I've made.

Actually that's it. Afterbirth's handful of trash challenges (Speed, Guardian and Brains), Ultra Hard, Keeper's entire note sans ???, Lost Greed mode, and everyone but Lilith on Greedier. And It's the Key.

Yooka-Laylee will be a nice distraction before I jump into this garbage. The next booster will have some more achievements and challenges, so maybe I can keep making excuses to push off doing Keeper and Greedier mode.

Yesterday was a productive day. Finished up Greed and Mega Stan on Eve, along with Greed on Blue Baby, and I Rule. Then I played a round of Keeper and had 15 damage and Tech X by chapter 2, along with Swallowed Penny and Piggy Bank for insurance, and I died. That was a painful death.

Deja

I just noticed my box has these weird wavy lines all over it. Plastic and the box art is warped. Anyone notice this? I looked on youtube and noticed the same thing on unboxing videos.

Mine is the same, and I saw a couple reviews on amazon saying the same thing too. Well, my actual cover is fine, just the plastic on the game box is warped.

What is this talk of the greed machine and jamming percentages? I've unlocked a bunch of characters but only usually play as Isaac or Maggie. Everyone else seems like a pain the arse. Azazel seems decent on first look but the range is not strong with that one.

h0tp0ck3t

Mine is the same, and I saw a couple reviews on amazon saying the same thing too. Well, my actual cover is fine, just the plastic on the game box is warped.

What is this talk of the greed machine and jamming percentages? I've unlocked a bunch of characters but only usually play as Isaac or Maggie. Everyone else seems like a pain the arse. Azazel seems decent on first look but the range is not strong with that one.

After you kill ultra greed you'll see a percentage under your keys that is the chance it'll jam like the donation machine in the shop

Edit: this is in greed mode. The more money you finish the run with the more you can donate and stuff unlocks when you reach certain amounts.

If it jams you can't add anymore coins. it basically means you wasted your time

Edit Edit: Azazel is great though because he has flight which is a HUGE advantage over other characters where they'll usually need to get lucky with a devil deal or get three Guppy items

Meia

In greed mode, the machine at the end of the run you dump money into has a % chance to "jam", so you can't put more money into it. This % is not shared from character to character though, so, to get your machine to 1k coins, you should never see a % above 4% if you're actually switching between characters doing the runs. :p

Deja

Ahhhh okay! I thought you were talking about normal runs, because I have had the machine jam on me there too. Sometimes I can put 30+ coins, sometimes it lets me put in 1 and then jams >:|

Deja

I must've just had bad luck with my Azazel runs, no range up items at all. I will try again but I really enjoy just playing as base Isaac, though I've a feeling I'm making the game harder for myself.

Top Bottom