• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

And Stanley's dead

Full post it for Lilith! In 150 hours, it's the first Post It I've finished.

Battery Buddy + Car Battery on Lilith is just silly, but combine that with getting a second Incubus and a revenge fly and it was comedy

SomTervo

I finished my first run last week and haven't picked up the game since.

It's incredibly clever and well designed but only 5 floors is sorta.., "what?" I couldn't believe it when i reached Mom. It's so short.

I was expecting a Spelunky style 5-10 more.

Are there many secret rooms or extra things to unlock? Besides characters (which I'm not that bothered about.) I'll definitely dive in again but I'm not sure when.

It's incredibly clever and well designed but only 5 floors is sorta.., "what?" I couldn't believe it when i reached Mom. It's so short.

Are there many secret rooms or extra things to unlock? Besides characters (which I'm not that bothered about.) I'll definitely dive in again but I'm not sure when.

Without wanting to spoil it, there are potentially 10+ floors in a single run. You need to plough more time into the game so it opens up more.

Vlad

You haven't even begun yet. There's plenty more to see. Keep playing.

Congrats on beating 0.05% of the game!

David___

Banned

There's a lot lot more than just beating Mom

UberTag

It's amusing when folks chime in contemplating why the game is so short without musing why the diehards have pumped hundreds of hours into this title.
This game peels away layers of depth like an onion.

I beat mom's heart for the first time. Got a great item to start, Double Vision.

From there I got Acid Baby, which was insane, basically a pill per room for 5 levels.

Cruised to the end.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
hundreds of hours in isaac logged across all platforms.

Still can't see the tinted rocks in the womb.

Still hate the bloat and the haunt. And the lost.

Just_one

hundreds of hours in isaac logged across all platforms.

Still can't see the tinted rocks in the womb.

Still hate the bloat and the haunt. And the lost.

Haunt is pretty easy but i do share your hate for the bloat.

still no news on Afterbirth+ on PS4...nicalis truly sucks...

I'm trying to get the Razor Blade for Eve, and I can stockpile all the Soul Hearts, but the Womb just loves to throw random difficulty spikes at me with those rooms where it's nothing but the yellow tentacles that whip at you constantly, and I need to kill them all to get out

Deja

It's amusing when folks chime in contemplating why the game is so short without musing why the diehards have pumped hundreds of hours into this title.
This game peels away layers of depth like an onion.

I think the game does quite a good job of telling you "this isn't the end", and I'm a first time player.

Immediately after first beating Mom: "You have unlocked X", my thoughts go: "Oh, what is this, must start a run and find out" and then more and more stuff eventually gets unlocked.

Last night I got
"Congratulations, the game just got harder"
after the 3rd or 4th time of beating MH. I laughed and turned to my housemate "Oh, shit".

Been playing around with the Switch version, and even though I 1000000%'d the PC version, I'm super hooked again.

Something about starting over all unlocks has seriously returned my addiction. Beat the Brains and Guardian challenges last night, two of the 4 I was super worried about (along with Speed and Ultra Hard, neither of which I've made any progress on).

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know the unlock for Greedier mode?

Rizzi

Been playing around with the Switch version, and even though I 1000000%'d the PC version, I'm super hooked again.

Something about starting over all unlocks has seriously returned my addiction. Beat the Brains and Guardian challenges last night, two of the 4 I was super worried about (along with Speed and Ultra Hard, neither of which I've made any progress on).

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know the unlock for Greedier mode?

Donate 500 coins to the greed machine.

Ohnonono

I played this a descent bit on vita. I Beat Moms heart and did some boss rush stuff, got some trophies that seemed like they were at least in the midgame. On switch this game seems so much frigging harder. The enemies that will pop up on the first floor are really rough sometimes. Is this just a L2P moment or is it actually harder than that version?

Neil_J_UK

Sooo...

Just before the last booster update I'd almost 100% completed everything - all I needed to do was the Brains challenge and collect 3 items. The other day I did the Brains challenge and I've got 2 of the items I'm missing, but am I going to have to collect all the new items introduced by the booster pack to unlock the achievements for collecting all items now?

I played this a descent bit on vita. I Beat Moms heart and did some boss rush stuff, got some trophies that seemed like they were at least in the midgame. On switch this game seems so much frigging harder. The enemies that will pop up on the first floor are really rough sometimes. Is this just a L2P moment or is it actually harder than that version?

Afterbirth/Afterbirth+ made the game harder even on the first few floors. New room types, enemies, etc.

Actually you don't need them. They're busted and don't count towards anything

I expect it'll be fixed eventually. Especially since not counting towards item completion isn't the only bug with those items, so they probably forgot a counter somewhere.

h0tp0ck3t

But it's incredible with Azazel or Brimstone!
Oooh. Does it fire a never ending brimstone?

Nearly lost a boss rush because dark bum wouldn't budge from the center of the map. Then after a pulse pounding half heart victory he starts gathering up all the hearts. Thanks for nothing

Nosgotham

You're joking right? You basically beat the first level. Good job

Oooh. Does it fire a never ending brimstone?

Whoops, damn some of those icons look identical...

Marked: Increases range of Azazel, increases damage rate for either. Actually really useful, but not omg-shocking.
Doctor's Remote: Instead of an explosion drops an 8-way Azazel laser. Basically a boss killer.

Honestly though the funniest is Sad Bombs. Absolutely kills performance on switch for a few seconds, but with good reason - when you drop a bomb, it splits into 10 minibombs, all of which fire 8-way lasers. It's literally just telling the game "screw it, just paint the screen in VFX".

I think if you had enough bombs you could just kill Ultra-Greed without taking damage, simply because if you replant with the right timing 99% of the CPU is going to be making 8-way laser calls and the framerate is going to be 5fps.

SomTervo

Right after you beat Mom it tells you that chapter 4 (AKA two new floors) is unlocked. I feel like that's pretty clear.

Honestly the game threw so many "something unlocked!" messages at me throughout my first play through, and after beating Mom, I gave up on trying to decipher what any of them meant and just put it down. It all seemed like lateral unlocks.

You're joking right? You basically beat the first level. Good job
Congrats on beating 0.05% of the game!

It's an indie game that I've seen for a low price in a lot of places. I thought it was a 'few levels but insane depth' sort of gig, which seemed reasonable enough. I still thought it was great.

You haven't even begun yet. There's plenty more to see. Keep playing.

yeah, cool, thanks

I literally did muse this and clearly stated there's a lot more to discover

The game just overloaded me with messages (99% of which were unclear/meaningless to me) to the extent that I didn't even realise 'more' of the game had unlocked.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Any thoughts on when I should switch to Hard Mode? I've beaten Mom's Heart 4 times now. I've heard two trains of thought: 1) The next big layer of the onion doesn't peel back until 11x kills so I might has well play on Normal now because playing on Hard will just slow down my progress. 2) I might as well tear off the band-aid now and switch to Hard and adjust to it.

For what it's worth Normal still feels pretty freaking hard for me. I don't have my stats in front of me but I know that each of the Mom's Heart kills had around 4-5 failed runs in front of it.

Any thoughts on when I should switch to Hard Mode? I've beaten Mom's Heart 4 times now. I've heard two trains of thought: 1) The next big layer of the onion doesn't peel back until 11x kills so I might has well play on Normal now because playing on Hard will just slow down my progress. 2) I might as well tear off the band-aid now and switch to Hard and adjust to it.

For what it's worth Normal still feels pretty freaking hard for me. I don't have my stats in front of me but I know that each of the Mom's Heart kills had around 4-5 failed runs in front of it.

I did Hard from the start considering it affects the post-its and some unlocks require hard mode.

The main differences are reduced Heart drops, more rooms/floor, different room layouts, and Champion enemies do not always drop something like they do in normal.

More rooms per floor can actually be an advantage in that you get more cracks at tinted rocks.

I just roll with normal and enjoy the ride. Switch to hard when you want to focus on the harder unlocks. You can access some stuff before 11x kills btw; it's just that you have to figure out how yourself.

Got a Glowing Hourglass in my first time at the Blue Womb, used it to skip Ending 17 and go to the Void.

Time to fight the boss there

Edit: Ded

C8133qtUwAAt3iM.jpg:large

Ipecac is so useful in Greed, but then Ultra Greed decides to do nothing but use its key ability to swarm me with smaller greeds, dammit.

David___

Banned
Just found out that Breath of Life is actually really good with the Void. When Voided it makes it so that using the Void only uses one tick of charge instead of all of them. I wonder what happens when you have AAA Battery with that combo

h0tp0ck3t

I have a new respect for the wiz after realizing you can attack the bloat completely safe from his bullshit un telegraphed brimstone without being above him

Reading this thread as someone who just started playing this game on Switch for the first time ever is something else.

Is there some kind of beginners guide somewhere? Got up to Mother on my first playthrough but I expect there's much more under the surface.

rekameohs

Banned

You basically just beat the tutorial

saunderez

I have a new respect for the wiz after realizing you can attack the bloat completely safe from his bullshit un telegraphed brimstone without being above him
The Wiz is useful for killing a whole bunch of enemies you generally don't want to be in front of. I know it's a bit of a hated item in the community but once you learn how to attack from the angles required I find it useful against the majority of enemies. Obviously the ones that shoot at 45 degree angles are a problem but those are rare.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hate the bloat.

Hate the Hush.

Hate bullet hell.

Hate having to speed run to get hush/boss rush.

Hate the Lost.

Hate Keeper.

Hate Soymilk (except with Libra).

Hate. Hate. HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

... ahem.

I was going about Pay2Play all wrong. I went in assuming defense and tried for stuff like Swallowed Penny. One (failed) run I had both Swallowed Penny and Counterfeit Penny.

The real winning strat was to just ignore coins, try to keep them around a 40-50 balance, and just play the game as if I had a really crappy build.

But even that was hard. Isaac is a hard boss with no orbitals or damage. Usually I just breeze past him, but with very little damage, and only Cancer as my saving grace, I did rough through it. But it took 8 lives. Which also meant after attempt #1, I had to perfect Isaac with no orbitals and crappy damage.

I just have garbage challenges left. SPEED!'s reward is good too... but that's basically the hardest challenge in the game.

Hate having to speed run to get hush/boss rush.
Mama Mega, or
if you have a great build, go to the Dark Room, beat the Lamb and Victory Lap. Saving and quitting will re-enable achievements and you can go and crush Boss Rush and Hush with your late game build

Hate the Lost.
Did you unlock Holy Mantle for him? Once you get that, he actually becomes a really fun, fair, nicely designed character.

Is Marathon broken on the Switch?

I am pretty sure I've had a 5 run of wins twice now but still no unlock.

The fact that dailies crash the game every time I complete one or go back to them later to check score doesn't give me great confidence that they are registering properly.

Top Bottom