• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

GymWolf

2h3VjTr.jpg

first NPC you talk to lol
The new fast and furious located on mars is looking good.

Last edited:
I have gamepass, I dont bother with it. Since I use it once every other 3 months when its a dollar. Just to get discounts on games. Maybe ill make it a thing to download indies then delete them so they get paid.

Fredrik

Graphics are friggin nuts. Sound design is incredible, punchy shooting. Only played like 2 hours but I’m genuinely quite impressed.
Yeah I don’t understand how a team of 12 can make a game world of this size look more lived in than a team of several hundred devs. Just walk around the inner city and look at materials, the people, all the things moving, smoke, light, wires etc. It’s amazing.

Kilau

Gold Member
Dang that metro score is really dragging down the xsx meta.

Opencritic has a decent recommend score and I already set it up to install so I’ll see for myself anyway.

Sygma

It's 75 for PC, 64 for Xbox. And, yes, an 80 is an average metacritic score in gaming and has been for many years.
50 is average, nice logic

Man that side quest with the mech was the funniest thing in a long time. Thing came by and utterly melted in 0.2 secs and got a cool achievement for it lol

Last edited:

TheMan

I played for 45 minutes last night. Hot take: it’s ok I guess? I didn’t like the controls actually.

sendit

The game is pretty average looking. However, it is pretty impressive for a 12 man team. The core gameplay/combat is incredibly smooth and satisfying (with a mouse and keyboard). Ray tracing with all settings on ultra.

xTPauQK.jpg

Played through the first single player mission last night and really liked it. Gotta convince my friends I game with to grab it because I could see this being an absolute blast in coop.

martino

Stats for that?
it's a from his ass certainty with dumb logic also

tenor.gif

you can tell people knowing the media from the tip of the iceberg
and of course the most successful hardware fan community have the most of them.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Visually it looks striking, but if the reviewers are complaining about grind, it must be bad.

Stop padding out game time you twats! God damn engagement.

I personally don't mind grinding so long as it's rewarding in the end. With this game, that is likely the issue, if you're not rewarded, it feels like time wasted for people that hate grinding.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It doesn't hurt me at all. I just wish more people would acknowledge that just because it works for MS doesn't mean Sony needs to do the same thing. It's okay for each company to prioritize certain things.
It’s the future of gaming. Sony doesn’t have to do anything now, but in 10 years they will be in trouble if they don’t at least have a plan to move that way.

JackMcGunns

Scoreless review, but sounds good:

Xboxygen
Jul 29, 2021

As we draw our conclusions, it seems important to note that The Ascent was created by a small team of skilled developers. And what else is there to say except maybe that they completed the challenge with flying colours. For almost 15 hours, Neon Giant’s game puts the RPG aspect aside to embark us on a huge romp through a larger-than-life city, whose AD rivals that of Cyberpunk 2077. Those fond of finesse and detail-oriented builds will need to go somewhere else. For the others, it would be difficult to miss the Swedish studio’s first game as it was released in the Xbox Game Pass on its launch. Visually speaking, this one is quite outstanding and is a pure action guilty pleasure made of gunpowder, metal and blood. While waiting to be able to enjoy a 4-player coop session, we’re already dreaming of a probable second part developed by a larger team. Hopefully, this would be enough to improve what needs to be improved and revamp the game from being a pleasant surprise to being a must-have.

Another positive review, but not having a score affects the final Meta, oh and thanks to Metro GameCentral, we have a shitty score compared to PC which is the exact same game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
It’s the future of gaming. Sony doesn’t have to do anything now, but in 10 years they will be in trouble if they don’t at least have a plan to move that way.

What exactly are you saying is the "future of gaming"? The streaming part or the subscription part? Or is it both? Because I 100% disagree with the streaming part being "THE" future of gaming. The subscription part will be with us and depending on how the payouts work, "could" be the future of gaming. Music artist seem to hate it though, so who knows.

After a few hours with this, its become very funny how many ppl in here were upset by average review scores. Thats what this game is. Average. Fun, but average. There is nothing special that separates it from the pack, and there are plenty of flaws. Lots of em listed in the other thread, but the main one that boggles my mind is how garbage cover shooting is even with high aim assist. Basically gotta run around and do barrel rolls til you die (happens a lottttt) or manage to kill everyone. It doesn't get more frustratingly simple than that sort of gameplay.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Fun and entertainment is subjective, but after 2 hours with the game, I definitely don't think it deserves the negative reviews looming around. 3/10? GTFO with that BS. This game, for the size of the team and even the price, is really impressive. I just think a LOT of people were expecting a different experience than what they got. People really wanted a cyberpunk Diablo-like experience, but what we got feels more like a cyberpunk Gauntlet-like, at least IMO. There ARE RPG elements, but I think there's a much larger action and almost arcade-like focus.

If anything I think it's certainly worth checking out, especially if you have GP. Will everyone adore it? Not necessarily. But I can't imagine anyone would think it's trash. If anything, it's a fun and solid enough title to enjoy until the end, or even for a week or so.

Shmunter

Is this supposed to be coming to PS at some point? If so, this is how you blow your golden goose. Timed exclusivity only works if it’s a hit, otherwise the opposite happens.

Fun and entertainment is subjective, but after 2 hours with the game, I definitely don't think it deserves the negative reviews looming around. 3/10? GTFO with that BS. This game, for the size of the team and even the price, is really impressive. I just think a LOT of people were expecting a different experience than what they got. People really wanted a cyberpunk Diablo-like experience, but what we got feels more like a cyberpunk Gauntlet-like, at least IMO. There ARE RPG elements, but I think there's a much larger action and almost arcade-like focus.

If anything I think it's certainly worth checking out, especially if you have GP. Will everyone adore it? Not necessarily. But I can't imagine anyone would think it's trash. If anything, it's a fun and solid enough title to enjoy until the end, or even for a week or so.
Why do so many feel the need to point out the size of the team who made this? Is it supposed to get a sympathy point bump in reviews cause its a small team?

I would disagree with a 3/10 for sure, but I think thats a lot more accurate than a 8 or above

Last edited:

drotahorror

50 is average, nice logic

Man that side quest with the mech was the funniest thing in a long time. Thing came by and utterly melted in 0.2 secs and got a cool achievement for it lol

50 is not an average rating for a game, regardless of it being smack dab in the middle. If your 'average' game had a 5/10 or 2.5/5 rating, most people would never bother. Those are fundamentally flawed games.

I personally don't think 80 is average either, I'd go with around 70-75.

What's strange is all media is different too. A TV show rating on IMDB of 5/10 is basically pure trash, while a movie with the same rating can have many redeemable qualities and even cult followings. 6/10 is average for a movie on IMDB. Around 7/10 is pretty average for a TV show.

MiguelItUp

Why do so many feel the need to point out the size of the team who made this? Is it supposed to get a sympathy point bump in reviews cause its a small team?

I would disagree with a 3/10 for sure, but I think thats a lot more accurate than a 8 or above
Because its impressive due to its quality. That's really it. A team's size shouldn't impact a score.

I disagree. I feel 6/7/8 is fitting. But it doesn't matter cause it's all subjective. :)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the grand scheme of things though, those are all rather minor issues. Playing The Ascent is an absolute joy, whether you’re blasting your way through scores of enemies, or engaging with its dense and satisfying role playing mechanics, or hunting down quests and side quests in its rich, gorgeous world, or losing yourself in its deep, engrossing lore. It’s impossible not to tip your hat to a game like this, but all of its achievements become even more impressive when you consider the fact that it was made by a team of just a dozen people.

The Ascent has an acute understand of what makes the cyberpunk setting tick, of what makes for a good role playing game, and of what a good combat system needs to do. It’s one of the most impressive action RPGs you’ll ever play.

Last edited:

Brofist

Who gives a flying fuck what a bunch of retarded "journalists" have to say? Listen to the general community and see gameplay to decide for yourself if you will enjoy the game or not.
Seriously, if you have GP it's easy enough to just try the game out. In the time it takes to watch a couple review videos I'd rather just play the damn game myself.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont get any of this. The game looked average all along, and it came out average.
Gamepass had zero to do with it.
Funny how most of the people slamming this game seem to either not have an xbox or gamepass though, hmmmm.......but I have it downloaded, looking foreward to trying it!

Last edited:

manfestival

Downloaded the game because why not on gamepass. Watched the ACG review and knew that I was in. Have been playing this full party with a bunch of friends and we are all having a blast. I think we have put about 5 hours into the game. Just came in this thread for the first time and kinda surprised by the overall metacritic score but whatever. Having a blast so whatever

Calverz

The toxicity in this thread is pretty bad. From the same usual group too. The game was made by 12 people. Not 120 people. It’s a solid game considering. The 3/10 review is a disgrace to be honest.

DavidGzz

After a few hours with this, its become very funny how many ppl in here were upset by average review scores. Thats what this game is. Average. Fun, but average. There is nothing special that separates it from the pack, and there are plenty of flaws. Lots of em listed in the other thread, but the main one that boggles my mind is how garbage cover shooting is even with high aim assist. Basically gotta run around and do barrel rolls til you die (happens a lottttt) or manage to kill everyone. It doesn't get more frustratingly simple than that sort of gameplay.

Cover shooting is easy as hell. You just suck still. It has RPG elements, so you may also be missing because of weapon spray. Level up the skill that steadies your hand.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The toxicity in this thread is pretty bad. From the same usual group too. The game was made by 12 people. Not 120 people. It’s a solid game considering. The 3/10 review is a disgrace to be honest.

The amount of people that make a game don’t define its quality nor should it be considered when reviewing a game.

“Solid game considering” means that if you don’t consider the fact it was made by 12 people, it’s not a solid game and therefore…. It’s actually not a solid game?

Kind of stupid ass reasoning is that anyway?

GymWolf

I dont get any of this. The game looked average all along, and it came out average.
Gamepass had zero to do with it.
Funny how most of the people slamming this game seem to either not have an xbox or gamepass though, hmmmm.......but I have it downloaded, looking foreward to trying it!
Why don't you try the game by yourself before calling it average?!

Top Bottom