• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just like a middle school will say a C is an average grade. It's not. Its below average. But this makes below average kids, feel better about themselves.

I see basically all game reviews. A 70 is not a good game. I don’t care what they list it as. Look at the actual games that get those scores. They might not be terrible, but they are usually pretty far from good.
People like you are the reasons why the review scale is stupidly broken like it is.

1-7/10 = GARBAGE! UTTER BROKEN TRASH!!!!

8-8.9/10 = averge, will maybe buy second hand when it's in the bargain bin. If it's an exclusive it's garbage if it couldn't even get a 9/10!

9+/10 = Good game! Only acceptable score for an exclusive game.

The way it *should* be is:

1 - terrible
3 - bad
5 - average
7 - very good
8/9 - amazing
10 - best in class

I've enjoyed many games that I'd give a 5/10. Hell even some that deserve a 3-4/10, like Killzone 1 on PS2 for example. Because of people like you though, the default score for a game that boots and doesn't set your console on fire automatically is about a 7/10.

Last edited:
Im about halfway through according to a friend of mine who beasted through and beat it already solo, and he had a blast and I'm having a great time. Nice change of pace after spending 61 hours running through Scarlet Nexus on ps5

Gonna try and wrap this up tomorrow since im free all day and go back to Deaths Door and Skyward Sword. Really great summer of games for me

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People like you are the reasons why the review scale is stupidly broken like it is.

1-7/10 = GARBAGE! UTTER BROKEN TRASH!!!!

8-8.9/10 = averge, will maybe buy second hand when it's in the bargain bin. If it's an exclusive it's garbage if it couldn't even get a 9/10!

9+/10 = Good game! Only acceptable score for an exclusive game.

The way it *should* be is:

1 - terrible
3 - bad
5 - average
7 - very good
8/9 - amazing
10 - best in class

I've enjoyed many games that I'd give a 5/10. Hell even some that deserve a 3-4/10, like Killzone 1 on PS2 for example. Because of people like you though, the default score for a game that boots and doesn't set your console on fire automatically is about a 7/10.
Your rating chart is spot on and what "should" be done. It's funny how movies get rated from 1-5 stars and critics have no problem with giving 1 or 2 stars, yet how often do you see 20% or 40% gaming grades? Almost never.

Product grades shouldnt ever equate to school grading systems. Totally different.

I don't know what it's like now for schooling, but when I was in school it was:

A+ 90%
A 80-89
B 70-79
C 60-69
D 50-59
F under 50
Then you get your B+ or B- if you have a 78 or a 72 kind of thing. Not sure why nobody uses E. lol. I guess jump to F for Fail!

In schooling, you fail if you get under 50% (or whatever your school determines as fail %). There's a certain amount of achievement they want. If someone equates a gaming grade of 2/10 as Fail, it doesnt mean schools are going to fail kids only if they get 20% or less.

Last edited:

Neil Young

Scoring a game doesn't make a lot of sense to me but to say a game should get a 3 if it's broken seems a bit weird. All games should be playable (meaning not broken) in order to even a get score. If a game is broken, it should simply have a warning telling people to avoid it.
Broken, as in super buggy and hard crashing. We rarely see games get 5s or lower these days. A three? That should be reserved for that shovel ware garbage you see in clearance bins. This game is NOWHERE close to that. I agree, scores are goofy. I prefer the ACG scoring or simple thumbs up or thumbs down.

sainraja

Broken, as in super buggy and hard crashing. We rarely see games get 5s or lower these days. A three? That should be reserved for that shovel ware garbage you see in clearance bins. This game is NOWHERE close to that. I agree, scores are goofy. I prefer the ACG scoring or simple thumbs up or thumbs down.
I hear what you are saying but the standard should be that a game is playable and not broken but yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with your take on it.

BigBooper

I'm level 12, and hit a major difficulty spike. I think I'll take a break for a while, hoping for some patches.. I've been running into quite a few bugs. Quest markers that go nowhere, with nothing to interact with. Being in a corridor fighting a bunch of scabs and I accidentally walk into this little sliver where the floor is surrounded by trash and I can't move unless I exit back out that little sliver.

I like it, but don't love it. It kind of drags after a while and the weapons so far don't offer enough variety to the gameplay. There's a lot of weapon variety, but the fighting strategy is pretty much the same no matter which weapon you use, at least so far. May be more later on. I would like to pick up one of these katanas the wannabe ninjas are carrying. Melee combat options might liven up the gameplay some. Like I said, only level 12 and after patches I'll come back.

Schmick

Interesting to see what happens once you have more than 17 reviews and don’t let 1 negative score drag down the average score.

Steam: 79% after 2336 reviews
Yep not a bad a score at all. A few people have some explaining to do coming into this thread saying this game is a flop.

Bartski

Gold Member
Been checking some reviews.

Looks like the code reviewers played went through a lot of bug fixing before release.

Maybe I was lucky again but thinking back I've seen 4 bugs in total (minus the audio looping glitch in shops) and had one crash to OS. No game-breaking bugs, no progression stoppers, 2 cases of side missions failing to complete fixed by reloading the area...

But then something like you read on Trueachievements:

the majority of The Ascent's issues are just infuriating. My workaround for the major roadblocks was the same each time: exploit the game's awful co-op checkpointing to pick up an early story mission checkpoint from a second save file, then rush through the main missions again (and again...) with my massively OP character. You see, The Ascent only offers a single auto-save slot, and joining another player's co-op session overwrites your progress (everything bar your character and inventory, basically) with that of the host. You'll want to be wary of this if you plan on playing with others, as skipping any major story mission will lock you out of the related achievement until/unless you play through the campaign again.

WTF? Absolutely nothing of this sort happens, co-op can overwrite progress due to apparent glitch only when the host starts a brand new game but never as described.
Also, he literally can't handle the difficulty and OP's the character by replaying campaign missions and that's somehow the issue of the game.

Gamespot review is downright embarrassing, not sure where is that "hopeless grind" they speak of. Also "the bad: The tone is extremely, unnecessarily hostile and dour". GTFO.

I played the whole thing solo with zero farming. Did side missions without major issues they were 2-3 levels above mine and adapted. No problems using cover which is KEY as soon as you get enemies armed with guns.

No problem reading the map either or following the marker - which actually rather than pointing you at the final destination - leads you through the quickest path through the level to get there together with the d-pad up arrow.

There are some tough moments, got killed a lot but I don't see how that's an issue with balance per se, it's just a hard game at times.

The game re-uses some ideas like the "horde mode boss on a timer" was a bit eye-rolling the third time around but it easily makes up for all that with everything it does right and then some.

I HATE the fact game trades off physics for static gfx detail which sucks if you imagine what it could have been with REAL destructibility and something like the Euphoria engine controlling character movement.

Also, the ending was shit.

Other than that it's a very competent twin-stick ARPG-lite at the very least with amazing vibes and looks. Gonna go play some more co-op now.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Played a few hours tonight in co-op and it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

-Co-Op is very laggy. My co-op partner just judders around the screen.
-Character customization is pretty limited and everyone looks like a Barbie Doll.
-Character animations are really poor.
-I question the decision to have a crouch function and two level shooting via (LT)
-Has one of the worst UIs I can remember in recent memory.
-The action is passable, especially with some upgrades but it kind of feels like they had a cool idea for an isometric shooter and then gimped everything into a skill tree for longevity.
-It takes a trope from horror game designs and loves spawning enemies behind you once you've engaged in an encounter, usually from the direction you just cleared out.
-The map seems to put the active waypoint to whatever quest is nearest to you which lets you run into enemies 10 or so levels higher than you.
-My list favorite thing is the level design. Every area is multi-layered which just doesn't work all that well from an isometric perspective.
-We may have missed it but it seems to have some unexplained systems like ICE. Found a door that is labeled ICE 1. My character is listed as ICE 1. Door still doesn't open.
-Not really a fan of the music.

The worlds the crafted are beautiful, but nothing else really stands out.

That 3 out of 10 tho.
Yeah, it’s a garbage review. No merit to any of the unique complaints and it seems it got slagged harder than all other outlets for the same criticisms.

There’s a definite anti-Microsoft bias that will need to be overcome by the company when they start releasing more original titles. You have a co-op snooze fest on PS5 getting gushed over, and this game is quite obviously a slightly flawed labor of love that is a great co-op twin stick RPG/shooter hybrid that nailed a lot of things but gets midlinereviews.

I guess the PS5 fans need to feel good about dropping $20 on the game instead of being able to use a service like Gamepass?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, it’s a garbage review. No merit to any of the unique complaints and it seems it got slagged harder than all other outlets for the same criticisms.

There’s a definite anti-Microsoft bias that will need to be overcome by the company when they start releasing more original titles. You have a co-op snooze fest on PS5 getting gushed over, and this game is quite obviously a slightly flawed labor of love that is a great co-op twin stick RPG/shooter hybrid that nailed a lot of things but gets midlinereviews.

I guess the PS5 fans need to feel good about dropping $20 on the game instead of being able to use a service like Gamepass?

You are just as much of a whiny, infantile console warrior as those who you rail against. Learn to look in the mirror.

GHG

Interesting to see what happens once you have more than 17 reviews and don’t let 1 negative score drag down the average score.

Steam: 79% after 2336 reviews

I've learnt long ago that only a handful of reviewers opinions matter to me. Skill Up and Fextralife liked it so I'll be trying it out today on gamepass before deciding whether to make a purchase via steam.

People need to learn that a lot of these so called modern reviewers are absolute trash who are completely incompetent and unqualified for the job. If anyone needs a reminder:

619.png

Days-Gone-Fair-Reviewers.jpg

shoegaze

Did a quick Google search but nothing came up, so just going to throw out here if someone knows - couch co-op possible or just online?

Fredrik

I'm kinda on the fence from all the reviews I've seen since it feels like it's clearly better if you play with others versus solo
Don’t hesitate if you like the genre. It’s great!

I’ve been playing these shooters since you controlled them with a rotating stick, and this game is by no means perfect but it feels really unique with the cover, dodge and RPG mechanics. It’s not Gears of War or Diablo or Geometry Wars. It’s a beautiful mix that hasn’t really been made before. And the production value here is through the roof!

Now I want Gears of War in this style, it’s the perfect fit, and they already have Gears Tactics assets to evolve from.
MS, hire Neon Giant asap! 👌

GymWolf

I'm level 12, and hit a major difficulty spike. I think I'll take a break for a while, hoping for some patches.. I've been running into quite a few bugs. Quest markers that go nowhere, with nothing to interact with. Being in a corridor fighting a bunch of scabs and I accidentally walk into this little sliver where the floor is surrounded by trash and I can't move unless I exit back out that little sliver.

I like it, but don't love it. It kind of drags after a while and the weapons so far don't offer enough variety to the gameplay. There's a lot of weapon variety, but the fighting strategy is pretty much the same no matter which weapon you use, at least so far. May be more later on. I would like to pick up one of these katanas the wannabe ninjas are carrying. Melee combat options might liven up the gameplay some. Like I said, only level 12 and after patches I'll come back.
Are you checking out the type of damages of the weapons? robots and other stuff get melted by energy\digital weapons.

I bet a lot of people didn't even notice this and only goes for the weapons with more raw damage, it's not how this game works.

The game opens up when you unlock more type of weapons (snipers, missile launchers, minigun etc.) and augs (robot minions of all types, laser beam, missiles, explosive spiders, etc.).

The style and build can change a lot.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Can we at least agree that someone needs to give these guys a budget? They obviously have skills, and I'd love to see what they could do with some cash behind them.
Absolutely. The game is a 7 for me, but is 1-2 patches away from being a 8.5. If the team was bigger or if they had more money and time, this could have been amazing. Really just needs more polish and some balance. I might put it down for awhile and wait to see what they improve.

Fredrik

Are you checking out the type of damages of the weapons? robots and other stuff get melted by energy\digital weapons.

I bet a lot of people didn't even notice this and only goes for the weapons with more raw damage, it's not how this game works.

The game opens up when you unlock more type of weapons (snipers, missile launchers, minigun etc.) and augs (robot minions of all types, laser beam, missiles, explosive spiders, etc.).

The style and build can change a lot.
Yeah. I had to rethink almost everything at the data miner timed fight. Died so many times. I hadn’t really used energy weapons much til that point and only used the punch aug. So I went back to the city, bought an enforcer, spider bots, healing module, then went back, swapped weapon type based on enemy type, used cover and finished the fight with barely any health lost.

GymWolf

Yeah i bet a lot of people consider this game just an ignorant twin stick shooter but the rpg part is also very important.

The game is only unfair if you don't pay attention.

Right now i'm swimming in augs and new weapons for any occasion.

With healing module do you mean that thing that remeber your health or something? i'm not sure about how it works...
But honestly there are too many fun augs to waste a slot on a health thingy...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Played a few hours tonight in co-op and it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

-Co-Op is very laggy. My co-op partner just judders around the screen.
-Character customization is pretty limited and everyone looks like a Barbie Doll.
-Character animations are really poor.
-I question the decision to have a crouch function and two level shooting via (LT)
-Has one of the worst UIs I can remember in recent memory.
-The action is passable, especially with some upgrades but it kind of feels like they had a cool idea for an isometric shooter and then gimped everything into a skill tree for longevity.
-It takes a trope from horror game designs and loves spawning enemies behind you once you've engaged in an encounter, usually from the direction you just cleared out.
-The map seems to put the active waypoint to whatever quest is nearest to you which lets you run into enemies 10 or so levels higher than you.
-My list favorite thing is the level design. Every area is multi-layered which just doesn't work all that well from an isometric perspective.
-We may have missed it but it seems to have some unexplained systems like ICE. Found a door that is labeled ICE 1. My character is listed as ICE 1. Door still doesn't open.
-Not really a fan of the music.

The worlds the crafted are beautiful, but nothing else really stands out.
Take it slow. There's a whole tab in the codex for tutorials. Explains everything. Explains ICE. The cyber deck you start with can only analyze and not hack doors or chests. That comes later. The UI is also fine once you play a bit longer and just get used to it.

Fredrik

The UI is also fine once you play a bit longer and just get used to it.
Come on the map controls are horrible. Why not swap menu section with LB/RB and move around the map with left stick? Like in all other games.

Feels as intuitive as playing Skyward Sword with buttons
where they suddenly expect me to forget the thousands of hours playing other games where I’m controlling the camera with the right stick… But wait you can control the cam with the right stick! If you hold in LB!… Sigh. Why not have me hold LB when using the sword instead?
I went back to motion controls instead… Which was why I stopped playing it last time…

Rikkori

Very much enjoying the game, this is going to end up a cult classic imo, but I'll wait for more patches and HDR. Want to have that primo experience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Come on the map controls are horrible. Why not swap menu section with LB/RB and move around the map with left stick? Like in all other games.

Feels as intuitive as playing Skyward Sword with buttons
where they suddenly expect me to forget the thousands of hours playing other games where I’m controlling the camera with the right stick… But wait you can control the cam with the right stick! If you hold in LB!… Sigh. Why not have me hold LB when using the sword instead?
I went back to motion controls instead… Which was why I stopped playing it last time…
Horrible controls are not the same thing as different controls. Floor swaps with 1 button press. Camera is right stick. Works exactly the same 🤷‍♂

Just takes playing for an hour and remembering its right stick

Fredrik

Horrible controls are not the same thing as different controls. Floor swaps with 1 button press. Camera is right stick. Works exactly the same 🤷‍♂

Just takes playing for an hour and remembering its right stick
Different controls can still make the user experience horrible if you’re too used to another control method.
Fortunately it’s just the map, it’s annoying if you mess up and change page instead of move the map but hardly game breaking.
I went from right hand joystick to left thumb dpad when I went from the Commodore computers to SNES. That was a struggle…

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Different controls can still make the user experience horrible if you’re too used to another control method.
Fortunately it’s just the map, it’s annoying if you mess up and change page instead of move the map but hardly game breaking.
I went from right hand joystick to left thumb dpad when I went from the Commodore computers to SNES. That was a struggle…
I thought it was weird too. Just saying it does technically work completely fine lol.

JackMcGunns

It's 75 for PC, 64 for Xbox. And, yes, an 80 is an average metacritic score in gaming and has been for many years.

That was my point, notice the score disparity despite being the exact same game. The game got a 64 average right now because Metro GameCentral was ridiculously harsh with the scoring system, a 3 out of 10 is described as a game with game breaking elements, a game with serious problems, both technical and mechanical that impede playability and or enjoyment and that’s simply BS.

I bet if there were 100 critic reviews, the score would avg out to be 75 or higher, a “very good” score.

McCheese

What are you guys smoking? this game is seriously bad. Downloaded it due to the this thread and you guys owe me 3 hours of my life back.

It has some serious problems like lack of matchmaking, levels being very repetitive with limited building blocks for each biome, lack of any real enemy AI and only a handful enemy types - I started to get bored of it by the time the title drop happened.

But beyond even these "they probably can't fix" issues, it also just has a lot of fucking annoying little design decisions, such as having to hold B to dismiss tutorials for like 4 seconds, not giving you enough information to make informed choices about equipment and weapons, tutorials that are just walls of unhelpful text, the camera angle being shite for a twin-stick shooter, I could go on..

It's an all-round poorly designed and poorly implemented game and 6/10 is about right.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't think all those 2336 people finished it yet
And you think reviewers finish games?
lol let’s not get into that discussion. You can filter Steam reviews by playtime so you can exclude reviews from those who have barely started it, and the score keep changing over time if patches are improving it, reviews can be updated, etc. Unless there is some controversy they’re quite useful.

Critics reviews are static, they almost never update the score even after game changing updates. You’re looking at the day 0 state of the game, unless reviews drop in later.

Anyway if you increase the minimum playtime on Steam reviews it looks roughly the same from some quick polling, often better since those who don’t like it won’t keep playing.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Might be the most repetitive game I've ever played.

Played 2 hours, and unable to bring myself to complete it. Had high hopes pre-release.

I hope a sequel gets made that irons out the numerous problems.

Fredrik

What are you guys smoking? this game is seriously bad. Downloaded it due to the this thread and you guys owe me 3 hours of my life back.

It has some serious problems like lack of matchmaking, levels being very repetitive with limited building blocks for each biome, lack of any real enemy AI and only a handful enemy types - I started to get bored of it by the time the title drop happened.

But beyond even these "they probably can't fix" issues, it also just has a lot of fucking annoying little design decisions, such as having to hold B to dismiss tutorials for like 4 seconds, not giving you enough information to make informed choices about equipment and weapons, tutorials that are just walls of unhelpful text, the camera angle being shite for a twin-stick shooter, I could go on..

It's an all-round poorly designed and poorly implemented game and 6/10 is about right.
In before someone comes in to say that you’re still just at the beginning, and you’ve seen nothing yet, yada-yada-yada. But after 3 hours you should have some understanding of the main gameplay loop and I think if you dislike it to the point that you think it’s a waste of your time, then it’s simply not for you.
Don’t worry about it, it happens.

Fredrik

I need that DLSS patch for gamepass.
I think it’s something else going on. It can run smooth as butter on my 3070ti, for a short while… Then comes possibly the worst framerate drops I’ve experienced, it’s like 1-digit fps, for a second. Then back to smoothness.
It’s there on Series X too but much less severe. John talked about it on Digital Foundry, thought there was some streaming issue.

Mister Wolf

I think it’s something else going on. It can run smooth as butter on my 3070ti, for a short while… Then comes possibly the worst framerate drops I’ve experienced, it’s like 1-digit fps, for a second. Then back to smoothness.
It’s there on Series X too but much less severe. John talked about it on Digital Foundry, thought there was some streaming issue.

I just want the DLSS for higher framerate overall. Its a better option than using the internal resolution scaler.

twilo99

I played the cloud version for another two hours or so this morning, its a solid game. I wouldn't pay for it outright on steam, but I'll definitely keep playing it on gamepass. I might even install it on my PC to see the full blown graphics in action

Last edited:

Sygma

Man it took a couple of hours for this to click completely, but holy shit is fucking around with the systems extremely satisfying in this game. Made a crazy teleport build with a fully augmented shotgun / flatliner until getting my hands on the overwhelmer and from there i went full on exploding arachnobots with an almost full focus on crit / reload speed and its been fucking hilarious

Don' t think I've seen a game being that consistent graphic wise in eons, everything looks polished in every single map its pretty amazing

Will definitely replay. Also the HDR man, I thought Doom Eternal / Borderlands 3 were going to be hard to beat but this shit is insane in that department, especially from the 2nd hub onward

Last edited:
Top Bottom