• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm a bit stunned by some of those negative reviews- That 3 out of 10 is especially an insult (have these people ever played actually BAD games?)

Granted, I've only played for about an hour, but I really enjoyed what little I've seen so far. If you enjoy Diablo-esque game experiences and a cyberpunk aesthetic, I highly recommend the game...especially with friends. ♥️

Also, if you are like me and get a bit obsessed about character appearance choices at the very start of the game...you are absolutely not locked into whatever choices you make. In the main hub area a short bit into the game, there is a surgeon that allows you to completely change your appearance choices, as well as base outfit/colors. :)

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So true. Its seem if they dont talk about it, somehow people wont notice. Maybe its in Microsoft contract to talk about it. Many new youtubers who got XSX as a "review unit" suddenly started mentioning Gamepass in every review.
Or…….

They think it’s a great deal, enjoy it and want to tell thier audience about it…..🤔

In all honesty it really can’t be emphasized enough, if you are a gamer who actually enjoys games and plays a large number of them it’s the best way to go.

The only people that seem to have a problem with it are those who don’t use or have access to it.

Stuart360

Just put a couple of hours in. So far its an 8/10 for me. I knocked it down a bit for slightly confusing menu's, and the tutorial not really explaining everything cleary, for me anyway. Plus i got a bit of loading stutter every so often.
The graphics are so god damn detailed though, its crazy looking with the lighting.

Last edited:
Was home sick today so I had the time to try it out earlier. It seems solid to me. The human characters look meh and too shiney but the rest of the game looks amazing. Just the art design itself heavily evokes that of older isometric PC games while having an insane amount of detail, so if that’s what they were going for they nailed it.

Now I seldom play twin stick shooters, but I could see myself blasting through this in couch co-op on a weekend and be satisfied.

MiguelItUp

I was hoping for a better outcome. But ACG and SkillUp enjoyed it, so that's enough for me to give it a whirl tonight. Well, and GP, haha.

Thirty7ven

Banned
That Metacritic sure ain’t too flattering, and we all know a bunch of people gave it a little extra for being a gamepass title.

But to be fair, it’s an indie game that never looked like it would amount to much more than this in the end. It still looks kinda fun.

Last edited:
There is 100% an Xbox bias in the games media. That is starting to turn around, but it’s been super obvious for years. If you think these “journalists” are immune to bias and fanboyism, that is a ignorant take.
Ryan McAffrey (IGN) couldn't bring himself to score it above 7, right there you know it must be around a 5 for someone that doesn't have such a strong bias as that guy has.

Last edited:

Stuart360

That Metacritic sure ain’t too flattering, and we all know a bunch of people gave it a little extra for being a gamepass title.

But to be fair, it’s an indie game that never looked like it would amount to much more than this in the end. It still looks kinda fun.
Go on i'll bite. Why would they score it a little better for being on Gamepass?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Go on i'll bite. Why would they score it a little better for being on Gamepass?

Don’t be naive brother come on, these cats can’t flood their podcasts and YouTube’s with Gamepass love, hype up a little game like The Ascent just because it’s Xbox exclusive gamepass day 1, and then review it as if it was a 70 or 40 dollar game. You know they didn’t!

You yourself would’ve been much harsher on the game if you had to pay
40$ or more for it. Let’s not act cute about it.

Im on the 'playing it for a buck' train.

The setting here is the real winner for me so far. It's well-worn genre stuff, but there's a lot more really nice detail and atmosphere here than I was expecting. Seems like a nice little game!

Fredrik

Just put a couple of hours in. So far its an 8/10 for me. I knocked it down a bit for slightly confusing menu's, and the tutorial not really explaining everything cleary, for me anyway. Plus i got a bit of loading stutter every so often.
The graphics are so god damn detailed though, its crazy looking with the lighting.
4 hours in and as usual I don’t understand harsh critics. I mean, this is great! 👌

I’m at 8/10 as well. The visuals are awesome, the density is up there with Ratchet, the worlds is just packed with objects. And I love the beefy audio! The explosions! And this game by 12 people probably have the most satisfying machine gun sound I’ve experienced. It’s sick on the home theater!

Shaving off some points for:

* Too small text even though I have max font size. I’ll try it on PC next to see if it’s better when I sit closer to the screen .

* Cover system isn’t really needed so far, it just makes you slow, I’m just walking in circles instead.

* And too much talk for a shooter, too much shooting for a RPG.

Stuart360

Don’t be naive brother come on, these cats can’t flood their podcasts and YouTube’s with Gamepass love, hype up a little game like The Ascent just because it’s Xbox exclusive gamepass day 1, and then review it as if it was a 70 or 40 dollar game. You know they didn’t!

Oh so its just a load of conspiracy bollcks coming out of your mouths, like usual. I suppose ACG has been influenced by Microsoft too eh?.

Man The Ascent, Flight Sim, and Record year for Xbox really has brought out the salt in you lot, and its a very bitter brand too.

Topher

Gold Member
Game Pass hurts you doesn’t it? It is the best thing in gaming right now.

Not really. It's a good service. For folks wanting some cheap games (or just want MS games), it is great. For those wanting all the best games day one, Game Pass doesn't help much.

It's 75 for PC, 64 for Xbox. And, yes, an 80 is an average metacritic score in gaming and has been for many years.

80 is not an average score in gaming. 80 is a great score in gaming. Is Ghost of Tsushima barely above average with its 83 metacritic score?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So you're saying that the Gamepass payment model is so innovative that it literally makes you enjoy games more than you would paying for them in the traditional model!? That's a bold claim sir. I don't think even Phil Spencer has claimed that.

Dr. Suchong

7.5 is bad now?
Damn toxic gamers
Allow me to show you the average, modern Gamers thought process.
lhyw47S.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So how does just owning one console and playing on one console "help much" if you want to play the best games?

I have RTX 3080, XSX, PS5 and Switch I feel I am in a good position to have an opinion on playing the best games on the best platform.

Who said anything about owning one console? Who said anything about "best platform"?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Topher

Gold Member
You said.

Which is bullshit, as GP helps a lot to play the best games on that ecosystem by lowering the cost of entry.

Did GP help me play AC: Valhalla or Mass Effect Legendary Edition? No, it didn't. What about those wanting to play Resident Evil: Village or Call of Duty or Watch Dogs Legion? Not on Game Pass. So not bullshit at all, now is it? And what does any of that have to do with this "owning one console" nonsense? Or "best platform"? Where did that crap come from? Now you are talking about lowering the cost of entry when I already said it was great for getting cheap games? Make up your mind what you want to talk about, dude. You are all over the place.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Console warring.
Oh so its just a load of conspiracy bollcks coming out of your mouths, like usual. I suppose ACG has been influenced by Microsoft too eh?.

Man The Ascent, Flight Sim, and Record year for Xbox really has brought out the salt in you lot, and its a very bitter brand too.

The Ascent is by all accounts a mediocre game so I really don’t see how it can make anyone other than a Xbox fan bitter that they overhyped it.

Stuart360

I didn’t say you were bitter, I said if you had paid 30$ it would influence how you reacted to it. Saying it’s an 8/10 because you played 2 hours is funny in its own right though.
Why would i be bitter?, i have paid for plenty of $60 games over the years that i thought were shit. It didnt stop me buying more.
Dude you are just reaching for something that isnt there. If i had paid $30, i would of been saying the exact same things about the game i did above.

EDIT. Also i said 'its an 8/10 for me SO FAR' smartarse.

Last edited:
Seem to be very mixed reiews. Going from a 3 (which does seem astonishingly low given the modern-day scale for scores and some of the absolute shitshows which have scored way higher), to seeing some with very high praise of it. Looking forward to checking it out for myself.

sainraja

I am not sure how I feel about the game right now. I haven't played much of it yet to give a fair assessment but so far not really feeling it. I will give it more time to see if it grabs me.

Shmunter

Visually it looks striking, but if the reviewers are complaining about grind, it must be bad.

Stop padding out game time you twats! God damn engagement.

Last edited:
Anyone else playing it on a Series X? The aiming is...not great. Maybe I need to fine tune it? Turn the sensitivity down?

Outside that, I'm still not getting into the story or characters. Just going through the motions. Seems to be decently well written though. So easy to get lost in what feels like giant levels. Anyway this game is carried so hard by its looks. Which I'm fine with. At this point I'm contemplating just plowing through the story without doing much in the way of side missions. Anyone else feel that way?

KAOS

Enjoying the game despite some bugs & audio issues! The game provides this amazing atmosphere and gun visceral that brings back memories of og playstation's Loaded & One and Dreamcast's Expendable!

To quote Jim Ryan, "As I said before, this game stimulated my specific emotions and made me happy."

qDOLgUS.jpg

1LGrq8Y.jpg

jT45EAE.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was only able to play for about an hour. While it's obviously rough around the(most) edges, as a whole I don't think it's as terrible as some of the reviews make it out to be. It all seems like UX / design issues that can be ironed out quickly, or scripting-related bugs with quests. I'll wait for a patch then try it out again. I can't be angry, I didn't even pay for it seeing as I am still in my free period for Game Pass Ultimate.

Top Bottom