• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

mortal

Gold Member
The reviews seem mixed. So go with the opinions you trust the most in this case.

Overhype, underdeliver.
Really?
It did pique interest from the impression of that first trailer. although I never got the impression this game was being unreasonably hyped by much of any outlet or community.

sircaw

Banned
The only review that matters -

John from DF loved it too.

We consistently give 'professional reviewers' shit all the time for their silly politics, awful gaming ability, crying about games being too hard, not finishing games they review, etc, etc.
Yet we seem to give them so much credit in these threads.

User reviews, and reviews from people like ACG, are the ones we should listen to. Thats all i listen to anyway.

Stuff you and your fake arse reviews, i am waiting on Kotaku, i only trust their opinion "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

GymWolf

We consistently give 'professional reviewers' shit all the time for their silly politics, awful gaming ability, crying about games being too hard, not finishing games they review, etc, etc.

User reviews, and reviews from people like ACG, are the ones we should listen to. Thats all i listen to anyway.

Yep, there is enough hypocrisy in this topic to gave me an ulcer.

Topher

Gold Member
Said this in the other thread. No it isn't. METRO would have to be weighted heavily for it to be solely responsible for that score.

The problem is there are only 15 reviews on the Xbox version of the game. The PC version has twice that. So yes, on the Xbox version of the game, the metro review is having a larger impact.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm glad that gamepass exist so people can try the game without constantly trusting these fucking reviews.
Someone mentioned it in the Avengers game thread the other day but gamepass is a godsend this days. So many busted games get released these days I’m hesitant to buy anything I might be iffy on. Gamepass has made it easy to try tons of games that I would have never bought and I even ended up buying a few of them in case they every leave gamepass.

Truly let’s games like these shine.

Calverz

I agree but unfortunately it’s the only tangible metric we have to go on. At least it’s on gamepass so people can try it for free and make their own minds up.

Uiki

The reviews seem mixed. So go with the opinions you trust the most in this case.

Really?
It did pique interest from the impression of that first trailer. although I never got the impression this game was being unreasonably hyped by much of any outlet or community.
I hope not. I would love a proper twin stick shooter. I trust acg and got the game preloaded.. more curious to try it than ever.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The problem is there are only 15 reviews on the Xbox version of the game. The PC version has twice that. So yes, on the Xbox version of the game, the metro review is having a larger impact.

. . .yeah, that's not how that works. But okey-dokey.

tommib

A twin-stick shooter RPG inside Blade Runner? Yum! This looks right up my alley and I was very disappointed to know it’s not out for PS5. Enjoy it! I’ll light up a candle to the port Gods.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Said this in the other thread. No it isn't. METRO would have to be weighted heavily for it to be solely responsible for that score.
Are you bad at math? It's the only score below 70 so what else could be driving it down?

Topher

Gold Member
. . .yeah, that's not how that works. But okey-dokey.

Actually, that is exactly how that works. The more reviews added, the less impact any one review has on the overall score. Why else do you think there is such a discrepancy between the Xbox and PC reviews of the game on metacritic?

Fredrik

I'm glad that gamepass exist so people can try the game without constantly trusting these fucking reviews.
Yeah, low scores are catastrophic but so many people can still play it now that otherwise wouldn’t have touched it.
Still, disappointing scores, thought it would be a meta 85+ game.
Anyway, jumping in as soon as my kids are sleeping! 👍

kyoji

Lmao at all the coping in this thread, i agree review scores shouldnt be the be all end all for a game especially if its one youre interested in but you dont need a subscription service to find that out, whatever happened to devs releasing demos? Can we get back to those days? This is just enabling mediocrity

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Havent played much obviously but glad this is on Gamepass to let me try it as its not the type of game I would have purchased.

Not very far in and just not holding my interest yet but again not my usual kind of game, will keep plugging away for a bit anyhow

I don't care about the reviews. The game looks instantly more fun then cyberpunk and that scored near perfect scores across most gaming media outlets.

I generally don't trust reviews anymore and I hate there scoring system. 5/10 should be average...... But average tends to be 7/10.....

kHX86O2.jpg

Why are you guys "disappointed"? What did you see in gameplay videos other than pew pew pew. Game always looked boring and shallow.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are you bad at math? It's the only score below 70 so what else could be driving it down?

The other scores lower than 70? Removing the Metro score bumps the score up by a whopping two percentage points (or did a few hours ago).

Actually, that is exactly how that works. The more reviews added, the less impact any one review has on the overall score. Why else do you think there is such a discrepancy between the Xbox and PC reviews of the game on metacritic?

Because there are more well received scores on the PC version. As I said above, the Metro score is a knock but it isn't a huge knock that somehow turns that yellow into a green.

Why are you guys "disappointed"? What did you see in gameplay videos other than pew pew pew. Game always looked boring and shallow.

I always thought it was weird that there wasn't more gameplay released honestly. I will say at the beginning it doesn't feel bad and depending on how wild gameplay gets the twin-sticking could be really engaging. We will see.

Last edited:
Well this is surprising and unfortunate. It's also makes me glad I have Game Pass so I didn't just blow $70 on a mediocre game. Will try it anyway since it costs me nothing extra, but I suspect I'll be back answering the call of the skies soon.

This is pretty much me, but stuck with that godawful pc gamepass app, as I couldn't get a Series X (or PS5) yet due to the global chip shortage.

So jealous of you new console folks and most importantly the I/O advantages that come with them by default for their native games.

I don't care about the reviews. The game looks instantly more fun then cyberpunk and that scored near perfect scores across most gaming media outlets.

I generally don't trust reviews anymore and I hate there scoring system. 5/10 should be average...... But average tends to be 7/10.....
Bit weird to rant about reviews, while then admitting you haven't played either of those games and are going off how this looks to you.....

Fredrik

Some of my favorite games are all pew pew pew, they can still be awesome, and what I’ve seen has looked awesome. 🤷‍♂️
Will jump in shortly so see if critics are just not aligned with my taste in games anymore.

dorkimoe

Love that line quoted from Metro review. When I watched ACG review I said to myself that looks like a sci-fi Diablo but in a positive way. Not expecting much but gonna give it a try after work tonight. ACG made it looks interesting for sure.
Same. Looks good enough to play and enjoy. Booting it up here soon

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Everyone relax. I am the authority here. I will be playing the game later this week and will ultimately judge whether it is good or bad. Just play it in the meantime and don't think too hard.

BigLee74

I wasnt that pumped for the game anyway as the game doesn't even have rearranged map layouts each time you replay the game like diablo. It has the same map layout.

But since the game seem meh, I'll save myself the download.

I'll stick to some FS 2020.

Come on man. Since when do you base a game worthy of your time or not on the subjective scores given out by reviewers, who may or may not like the genre, and who may or may not be having a bad day?

If it remotely interests you, download it and give it a try. I’ve loved many a game that had average reviews (Ryse, Crackdown 3 etc).

I like a twin stick shooter, especially coop, so I’ll be giving this one a try regardless!

Last edited:

Shrap

"Thank god for gamepass or I wouldn't have played this..." we hear for the hundredth time. Maybe one day those constantly repeating that sentence will realise that it's actually a negative as more time is wasted on mediocrity and games you "otherwise wouldn't have touched" than actual quality.

Aion002

I just played the opening level... It's cool: nice graphics, solid gameplay and interesting world.

I honestly won't go back to it, since I am not a fan of twin-stick shooters, but it seems fine... It is basically Dead Nation(Housemarque ps3 game) gameplay with a little twist of Diablo in a cyberpunk setting.

Last edited:

Stuart360

"Thank god for gamepass or I wouldn't have played this..." we hear for the hundredth time. Maybe one day those constantly repeating that sentence will realise that it's actually a negative as more time is wasted on mediocrity and games you "otherwise wouldn't have touched" than actual quality.
Dude the game is at 7.5 on PC, and would of been the same on Xbox without the ridiculous Metro review.
I dont know why people are acting like its at a 2.3 or something.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I switched from Xbox to PC. Just remembered how much I suck at twin sticks. Keyboard and mouse gameplay is awesome so far.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I switched from Xbox to PC. Just remembered how much I suck at twin sticks. Keyboard and mouse gameplay is awesome so far.
I've never played a twin stick shooter and I can't believe how much I suck at it. How the fuck do you aim? It seems like my sticks are way too sensitive to aim properly and my aim is all over the place.

I think the skies are calling me to come back and practice crashing my plane some more. 🤣

Top Bottom