• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That didn't take long. Insomniac Games purchase already paying off heavily for PS5.

Vawn

Banned
new-insomniacgames-logo.jpg

Spider-Man is a massive franchise since Insomniac took the reins a few years ago. It is the definition of a "console seller".

images

They already have a new Spider-Man game ready to go at launch this year for PS5.

If that wasn't massive enough, they're also making what many to believe us the most impressive next-gen game shown yet.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart not only looks like a playable Pixar movie (hell, maybe better), but it's near instantaneous loading of entire worlds is demonstrating exactly HOW this new SSD will change the way experience and PLAY next-gen games.

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-announcement-sony-insomniac.jpg

This is just the beginning. What will we see next? Resistance: Fall of Man sequel. Maybe a Sunset Overdrive sequel (Sony now owns the IP). Something like Spyro the Dragon?

Who knows, but its looking like Sony's acquisition of Insomniac Games is every bit as big as we thought.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are you sure about "always"? Does that include Fuse and Sunset Overdrive or just the games they release for PlayStation?

Shit yeah, I'm even including Song of the Deep, a game that me and at least six other people completed.

They're good and always have been. But really, this is a weird fluff post. They're putting out a SpiderMan expansion with a lot of the same assets of a game copying Batman. And a Rachet game the same as the last one that loads levels fast.

not the same. There's lots more mayhem going on besides the crazy loading aspect, the assets look more detailed, lighting is much more colorful and striking and resolution and framerate are surely higher

Self

I would absolutely prefer Resistance, because Ratchet really suffers from franchise fatigue (like Halo does).

Still exited to experience the new tech.

Last edited:

jakinov

Yeah, there was a thread where people were saying insomniac was a bad purchase. But I was telling them that Insomniac is not just one studio, they have 2-3 teams (some geographically separated) working on different projects that push out games really fast, generally get favorable reception and often sell decently. They do a really good job at picking up new tech and using it too. During the PS3 days, Insomniac used to be candid about what kind of modern technologies they were incorporating and you could see that in their games just kept looking better and better. They locations are also all in California which is great for attracting talent and they are relatively closer to other main Sony studios for easier meetups. Microsoft bought a bunch of studios with shoddy track records, some who they've fired in the past, who have favored PlayStation in the past and who were already making them exclusive games.

Vawn

Banned
:sick:

I hope they continue making R&C and i hope they make one new IP this gen.

I agree. I watched someone play through a bunch of Sunset Overdrive. It looked like a inFamous knock-off with an ugly art style.

It is just funny that Sony owns the Sunset Overdrive IP after all that.

Dory16

Banned
new-insomniacgames-logo.jpg

Spider-Man is a massive franchise since Insomniac took the reins a few years ago. It is the definition of a "console seller".

images

They already have a new Spider-Man game ready to go at launch this year for PS5.

If that wasn't massive enough, they're also making what many to believe us the most impressive next-gen game shown yet.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart not only looks like a playable Pixar movie (hell, maybe better), but it's near instantaneous loading of entire worlds is demonstrating exactly HOW this new SSD will change the way experience and PLAY next-gen games.

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-announcement-sony-insomniac.jpg

This is just the beginning. What will we see next? Resistance: Fall of Man sequel. Maybe a Sunset Overdrive sequel (Sony now owns the IP). Something like Spyro the Dragon?

Who knows, but its looking like Sony's acquisition of Insomniac Games is every bit as big as we thought.
Insomniac makes good games. Not even close to game of the year candidates though. The way they're milking spider man unfortunately it won't be the first franchise to take them there.
Definitely a studio that you would want in your stable but not a go to one.
I skipped Ratchet on PS4 because as gorgeous as it looked, I knew I wouldn't have the motivation to finish it past the second chapter, once you're used to all the particles and see most of the weapons. It's exactly how I felt with Sunset Overdrive. I get the exact same vibes from this one.
Sony will be fine, we haven't seen anything from ND and SSM yet.

Mr Hyde

Insomniac was a great purchase by Sony. Thought it would happen sooner, since they've had an on and off relationship for the past 20 years. And a comeback for Resistance on PS5 would be awesome. First two games were really good. Underrated franchise.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I believe that Insomniac will be the best Sony first party studio for PlayStation 5. Spider Man: Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, eventually Spider Man 2, possibly a new Resistance game or trilogy collection plus a PSVR 2 game at some point. Insomniac was a steal at $220M.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They're good and always have been. But really, this is a weird fluff post. They're putting out a SpiderMan expansion with a lot of the same assets of a game copying Batman. And a Rachet game the same as the last one that loads levels fast.
Spider-man is a standalone game in the vein of Uncharted Lost Legacy

Ratchet and Clank looks like a new worthy sequel 🤷‍♂️

Pandor

Banned

Yeah. Kinda weird. Personally I think this is even disgusting from a consumer point of view. Why is this Spider-Man not being released on PS4? It would easily possible. This just greed, I assume.
disgusting.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Insomniac makes good games. Not even close to game of the year candidates though. The way they're milking spider man unfortunately it won't be the first franchise to take them there.
Definitely a studio that you would want in your stable but not a go to one.
I skipped Ratchet on PS4 because as gorgeous as it looked, I knew I wouldn't have the motivation to finish it past the second chapter, once you're used to all the particles and see most of the weapons. It's exactly how I felt with Sunset Overdrive. I get the exact same vibes from this one.
Sony will be fine, we haven't seen anything from ND and SSM yet.
Spider-man PS4 got some Goty votes in 2018. Insomniac will only go up with Sony's backing

Gamernyc78

Banned

Sorry I took so long with your condiments after I served you your meal. Here you go....

🧂🧂🧂🧂 😂😂😂

Aion002

As someone who finished Fuse, I want this on PS5:

Overstrike was Overwatch before Overwatch focused on coop and SP. I want that... Forget FUSE... That was... A thing....

Last edited:
Top Bottom