• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 PS5 Consoles & Faceplates Sell Out Almost Immediately

DaGwaphics

"Insomniac Games says “It's not likely” that the covers will be restocked"

It wouldn't be a limited edition if they didn't limit the edition.

Well, they might have a new version at some point, but they might be a different size.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hey would you make limited edition spiderman items instead of just making enough for everyone?

Limited edition should be so that scalpers buy the stock that they normally wouldn't have bought without artificial scarcity. Fuck off Sony. Just make enough
Scalpers gotta eat, too

//DEVIL//

Eh. Bestbuy Canada has them on preorder very easily. I just ordered one and plenty available. I do not think it's going to be rare item

Shit dude I'm an idiot, I saw the headline and assumed the controller sold out too lol. Just preordered it, thanks for the heads up.
it’s a nice looking controller for sure. Controllers are too expensive though! It sucks because every colour has been great so far.

I just ordered the console and controller. I don’t need it but it literally costs me nothing to preorder and cancel later if I don’t find anyone who wants it.

poodaddy

it’s a nice looking controller for sure. Controllers are too expensive though! It sucks because every colour has been great so far.

I just ordered the console and controller. I don’t need it but it literally costs me nothing to preorder and cancel later if I don’t find anyone who wants it.
Yeah I get that. Not gonna lie dude, it fuckin hurts to see myself buying a controller for 80 bucks, but that's the unfortunate nature of the market now, everything is so expensive, and I needed a third controller anyway as I've got a wife and kid and I hate when we play Sackboy that someone's always watching while the other two play. Fucking insane prices though.

radewagon

Artificial scarcity
I suppose the follow-up question is why would they want artificial scarcity?

Artificial scarcity gives them two benefits. Benefit one is that they can increase demand for a product beyond what it would have had if the item had not been made artificially scarce. Demand was clearly already through the roof, so making the item scarce didn't do them any favors. They clearly would have sold more if they had made more. The second benefit is that artificial scarcity affords them the ability to jack up the price, yet they were only asking for a 5 dollar markup.

We get that the reason they sold out quickly was likely because they were made artificially scarce. The puzzling part is that this artificial scarcity didn't do much good for the company responsible that chose to make the product scarce. Unless Sony is secretly the scalpers, all they've done is screwed themselves out of money.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

This had to Be known to happen. Are these plates numbered? If not, someone will flood the resell market with knockoffs. Be careful going scalper route.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For UK gamers, it seems game.co.uk still has them available to pre-order:

No faceplate but you can get the controllers. I just can't bring myself to pay basically double for a controller.

EruditeHobo

The design of it isn't bad, but somewhat ironically I think it would be a lot better without that spider-man logo.

Either way, hard to see myself wanting to pay that amount so I can snap a different cover on my PS5...

Ugly as hell (like all game-specific special edition consoles), but cool I guess.

MGS4 PS3 was awesome. And Starfield Xbox & controller look really good!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The design of it isn't bad, but somewhat ironically I think it would be a lot better without that spider-man logo.

Either way, hard to see myself wanting to pay that amount so I can snap a different cover on my PS5...

MGS4 PS3 was awesome. And Starfield Xbox & controller look really good!

Yeah, the Starfield stuff does look pretty cool I have to admit. But that's because it's not really branded with the game itself, but designed to look like tech from the game's universe.

Cancelled the controller, don't need it and seeing any colour I want at 39.98 in the UK right now I can't justify almost double that just for a niche man version. I'd rather someone who really wants it gets it.
Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed the galactic purple dualsense from game.co.uk for 39.99. I do not have a PS5 yet, will just use it on my laptop and maybe jump in with the PS5 slim or pro. It is a great deal but I can't help but wonder if Sony are clearing old controller stock and that they will introduce a new dualsense variant alonside the PS5 slim, just like they launched a new DS4 variant alongside the PS4 slim.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed the galactic purple dualsense from game.co.uk for 39.99. I do not have a PS5 yet, will just use it on my laptop and maybe jump in with the PS5 slim or pro. It is a great deal but I can't help but wonder if Sony are clearing old controller stock and that they will introduce a new dualsense variant alonside the PS5 slim, just like they launched a new DS4 variant alongside the PS4 slim.

That purple is gorgeous! I grabbed one too

mrmustard

Banned
I said it before, without the logo you would have The Blair Witch Project. As is it's neither fish nor meat, i think all red, a huge web and the logo centered would have looked much better.

Mr.Phoenix

These companies need to figure out better ways to sell shit.

Its obvious the market has literally advanced to the point of being automated. They should know that scalpers exist. How hard can it be to put in some sort of vetting system for purchases?

Not just talking about Sony here... this applies to everyone.

Jinzo Prime

Honestly, I would only buy these grossly overpriced plates to flip it at a higher price anyway. Good on them for making a buck off of rabid fanboys.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I guess that`s the downside of living in the USA/UK

Sure you can easily afford gaming but everything will be eaten by scalpers. Meanwhile it's on stock here because no one can afford it lol

(The spider man version is $1056 where i live btw)

Last edited:
I guess that`s the downside of living in the USA/UK

Sure you can easily afford gaming but everything will be eaten by scalpers. Meanwhile it's on stock here because no one can afford it lol

(The console is $1056 where i live btw)
Wait, are those draconian import taxes still in effect? That's so fucking idiotic from the government.

I pre ordered a ps5 but thought why would I do this if a pro is coming next year. They are still available on Best Buy Canada website now.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Wait, are those draconian import taxes still in effect? That's so fucking idiotic from the government.

They will stay even after i die.

On the bright side, i dont need to worry about these running out of stock if i ever wanted to buy them

I mean yeah, that price is yucks.

hL63bAf.png

Top Bottom