• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 PS5 Consoles & Faceplates Sell Out Almost Immediately

Fans looking to pick up the Marvel's Spider-Man 2 limited edition PS5 may be out of luck as the console has reportedly now sold out across multiple retailers. With only a few months left until the highly-anticipated superhero sequel's launch, Insomniac Games has given fans ample reason to get excited about the newest web-slinging adventures. Trailers have shown off multiple playable characters with both Peter Parker and Miles Morales controllable, as well as teased the involvement of the Venom symbiote with the story. Now, the excitement is spreading to the game's console market as well.
With the original Spider-Man game and the Miles Morales spin-off from Insomniac achieving massive popularity, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is looking to capitalize on fans' excitement for the game in more ways than one. Insomniac and Sony would reveal a special edition PS5 console earlier this month, sporting a red-and-black shell with the symbiote creeping in on Spidey's iconic logo. Pre-orders for the console officially launched Friday with a release date set for September 1. However, the console's popularity is now seeing the Spider-Man-themed hardware selling out across several storefronts.
Within just hours of pre-orders being opened for the Spider-Man consoles, several retailers are already showing the consoles as sold out. Pre-orders for the console are reportedly listed as "sold out" across Walmart, GameStop, Best Buy, and Target among others. The console is also listed as currently unavailable through Sony's PlayStation Direct storefront, both for the disc and digital versions of the console. PlayStation has even instituted a virtual queue for users looking to pick up the PS5, with a "large volume of customers" attempting to buy the console.
spider-man-2-ps5-consoles-sell-out-almost-immediately-2.jpg

Many fans suggested Sony may have fallen victim to bots lining up to purchase the limited edition consoles, given the short duration between sales opening and the consoles selling out. Some even claimed that the console and console covers were sold out as soon as the sale was opened, with others believing the console covers might have never been properly listed. Sony would give a notice to users added to the virtual queue, claiming it is "working hard" to make the consoles and console covers available to more excited customers.

Three

Why make the covers limited edition in the first place? It's just plastic. But no, let's rather keep pink.
Because the cover is what makes the limited edition Spiderman PS5 a limited edition PS5 at all. It's not different on the inside. The limited edition covers just gave those who already had a PS5 the option to make theirs a limited edition Spiderman version too. If they didn't want to have the same cover they could have made it not limited edition.

It would be interesting to see the packaging on the PS5 though. The PS4 one looked pretty good.

2-1536615537039_160w.jpg

img-0981-1536611771074.jpg

Three

It’s so fucking stupid, I tried getting the covers right when they dropped & every single local retailer I checked already sold out within seconds, they fucked it up so badly.
I wouldn't be surprised if maybe some employees did some funny business and bought the stock before even listing.

Some even claimed that the console and console covers were sold out as soon as the sale was opened, with others believing the console covers might have never been properly listed.

Last edited:

radewagon

What gets me is that by limiting so much below the demand, Sony is simply leaving money on the table. And for what? The scalpers will make the money that should be going to Sony. There's all this talk about how hard it is for publishers to make money because of rising production costs and yet we have situations like this where there is a clear way to make money on the back end and it's not being fully taken advantage of.

Look, I get it if they want to keep things limited, but there's obviously a market for official console covers with cool designs on them. Lean into that. Make more. The colors are, frankly, boring. Up to now, our only non-boring options have been this sold-out Spidey cover and a Lebron James (what?) cover. Such a waste of a great idea baked into the PS5's design.

Pelta88

I was wondering why it was a trending topic in the United States. PlayStation being COY, they know the demand is pent up.

Sony are going to move some units. I wouldn't be surprised if they break their all-time sales record.

Edit

200w.gif

Last edited:

ckaneo

Why would you make limited edition spiderman items instead of just making enough for everyone?

Limited edition should be so that scalpers buy the stock that they normally wouldn't have bought without artificial scarcity. Fuck off Sony. Just make enough

Last edited:

MirageMew2

Fuckkkk that’s unfortunate. I was going hard for the covers too, they were indeed gone within a second of every Wario64 drop. Only managed a controller and grabbed the console LE preorder in case the covers wouldn’t restock.

yanhash

People be really having these tacky designs on their consoles, base PS5 looks waaay better

Corny GIF by YoungerTV

Last edited:

Aenima

Been telling for a long time that Sony been sitting on easy money pretty much since launch with the costumization options of the PS5. They make a console that is very easy to costumize and then dont sell the costumizations. It took them forever to just launch the plain black covers, and they been missing oportunities to get money from especial editions from some high profile games that already came out like GT7, Horizon, GoW Ragnarok, and even Final Fantasy 7 and 16. Just 3 years after launch they make the 1st game themed cover.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I tried to order them from amazon in europe the moment it was released and they were instantly out of stock kn 3 countries
They have to do something
Both faceplates and controller

But i manage to get the console bundle ( wich i don't need might cancel it )

Last edited:
Top Bottom