• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teruyuki Toriyama - Producer of Bloodborne, Demon's Souls etc - leaves Sony Japan Studio

Miles708

wthayta.gif

Ahahah I love this gif :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Japanese dev are abandoning Sony's ship.
Japan studio was the most interesting studio in the business. And now is gone.
Thanks, Obama.

//DEVIL//

The more Sony becoming more western and less Japanese the less I give a fuck about the whole company. The Japanese games what defined the PlayStation for me.
Glad I actually sold my ps5 for a profit really along with my Xbox . My I9 and 3090 is more than enough for me till there is actually a decent game worth playing after demon souls

Nezzeroth

SIE Japan needs major changes. They haven't really made anything that sold well in decades other than Gran Turismo.

I hope Japan Studio continues though, I'd love more Astrobot.

AceofJakes

SIE Japan needs major changes. They haven't really made anything that sold well in decades other than Gran Turismo.

I hope Japan Studio continues though, I'd love more Astrobot.
My god. People need to actually either think or research before posting.

Polyphony digital made GT.

Japan studio just delivered one of the best launch games in PS history and it was free. I'm sure they'll be fine.

yurinka

I always struggle to understand what this job descriptions even mean in the video game world.

So technically a producer is more of an administrative role right? Handling time tables, budgets, negotiations, etc. . So not really a creative role.
But then you also have producers who apparently have a huge impact on creative decisions in some studios...
What kind of role did he play in Japan Studio?
It may change a bit depending on the company, or even the studio but:

Producers normally aren't in charge of the creative side of the game, this is the role of directors or creative directors. And if not available, the lead designer and lead artist are the ones in top of the creative side.

Producers basically manage the budget and make sure the team delivers the best game possible on the time and with the resources they have. They make sure the team reach each milestone on time with the desired quality, overviewing the team meetings splitting these milestone in smaller weekly or bi-weekly deliverables, and these one in smaller tasks that are maybe daily.

They also help to solve issues that may appear that block certain tasks to be completed, help the devs where needed or act as a bridge when there is some issue between two departments (let's say programmers want to do something in certain way and artists in another way).

They also have meetings with the higher ups, the communications and marketing teams, the HQ, publishers or outsourcing companies to negotiate budget, timings, deliveries, hirings, etc. And well, these are the producers who work with development teams.

Depending on the company and its size, sometimes development teams have multiple producers who help this main producers handling the production of subsets of the game like the art department, design department, tech department, etc. Or the team who works in gameplay, the team who works on story and cinematics, or server team, etc.

Then publishers also have another producer on the publishing side overviewing and helping producers of external teams, who can be a 3rd party dev team, QA company, a marketing or PR company, etc. I assume this was the role of Teruyuki Toriyama: a producer from Sony Japan (publisher) who overviewed and helped the producers in external game development studios like From Software or Bluepoint, teams that also had their own producers.

Big companies traditionally also have a 3rd type of producer: the ones in HQ or editorial team who overview the production of all the games they are working on, to make sure they are reaching all their milestone and helping or overviewing the producers of these teams to solve any issue they may have.

PREY SLAUGHTERED.

BLOODBORNE II NEVER.
It's easy to replace a producer with another one, specially when it's a producer of external teams, who also have their own producer(s). They can make Bloodborne 2 if desired without him. I assume that if they don't do Bloodborne 2 is because From Software is busy with other projects.

Every year there are dozens of people who join or leave these big studios. Sometimes they retire, sometimes they quit for personal reasons, sometimes they are fired for the same reasons they can be fired from any other kind of company, or sometimes they leave because other studio hired them offering a better salary or a project or a vision that is more appealing to him.

But go on, make all western games. Worked wonders for Microsoft.
What are you talking about? Sony Japan just released Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls and will publish Polyphony's Gran Turismo 7 in a few months. A producer leaving from a huge studio doesn't mean a shit. Of course they will continue making Japanese games.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

My god. People need to actually either think or research before posting.

Polyphony digital made GT.

Japan studio just delivered one of the best launch games in PS history and it was free. I'm sure they'll be fine.
What part of "other than GT" didn't you read?

yurinka

Yep turns out everything Bloomberg said in November outside of yields is proven correct thus far,

More recently this is one of the things that caught my attention in their article from 8 days ago.

We know which major Japanese publishers are working on PlayStation 5 exclusive games, Square & Bandai.
I think Final Fantasy is the most likely game referenced, the franchise barely manages 1 million in Japan on the PlayStation 4 with a far bigger audience compared to what we can expect for the PlayStation 5 at the end of 2021. Compared to the PS1/PS2 days when the franchise was selling 3-4 million copies per entry - it's still problematic for Square if the game ends up declining even further into 500K to 750K territory.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 / 932.821
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 9.016.923

Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 / 1.042.951
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 3.640.602

Final Fantasy XII - 1.516.532 / 1.967.887
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 4.276.480

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 605.660 / 940.269
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 7.493.243

Most recent Final Fantasy games launched with far bigger audiences to sell to, in 2021 there is very little chance that the PS5 will surpass 1.25 million in Japan even with a late December release. Personally looking at the price, size and line-up for the PS5 I honestly struggle to see how it even surpasses 1 million in 2021.

It's a risk but strapping on a PS4 version while Sony is discontinuing PS4.. isn't going to help either - but it is what it is. Final Fantasy will basically become a lower profile franchise than Square's DQ spinoffs in Japan.
You are talking about retail copies, which every year are a smaller % of the total sales, and that games now are discounted more frequently and more aggresively. It's very likely that FFVIIR is the 2nd best selling one of these ones as of now, and in the long term may end pretty close to the 1st one.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Lol, everyone is just pissed because that studio has so underperformed the past few years and has nothing to show from everyone there....

Hopefully, this means they refresh the staff and bring in new peeps to actually some a new innovative and fun game or hell, even White Knight Chronicles redux, WKC3, Alunda or Legand of Dragoon 2. You know, 1 of the bazillion IPs Sony is sitting on atm..

iamvin22

Industry Verified
A producer is more or less the Project Owner. While somone else might be managing the project, the peoducer is the one overseeing the course and taking decisions based on information given by the project management.
The roll can be critical as the producer can and will alter the overall direction of the game as responsible party for the product.
wrong. that is the job of directors.

BuffNTuff

Banned
Lol at people in this thread... must be Xbox fans.

The PlayStation brand has only become stronger with the more western influence it’s taken on. Weird Japanese games have little to no influence in the modern gaming age.

Just look at all the third party Japanese studios. Almost all of them have faded into nothing except for Capcom, who have traded in the Ramen for the Spaghetti. Hell even Square Enix has been propped up mostly by western IP like Tomb Raider...

Let’s also not forget to mention this guy was just a mid level guy, the type of employees that come and go constantly as they seek to climb the ladder fast if there’s not the opportunity in their current role, for whatever reason - could be their own performance, could be someone else got a promotion, could be lack of promotions due to Covid, department may not have enough budget for promotions, etc. so many different reasons.

Last edited:

Beardsalt

Lol at all the doom and gloom around here!!!

Dude was a “Producer” aka “Money Guy”

It’s not like he was the ”Director“ of any of the big games!

Matter of fact, the last game this guy directed was Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (who?, what? where?)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If you care about anything Japanese stay the fuck away from GaijinStation as Japanese gamers on 2ch refer to them as now

The X/O change told me everything I needed to know

The Sony we all loved is dead and gone......only western action adventures, cinematic experiences and woke furry games now

wow, the reaction in this thread is hilarious. a employee leaving the company to start his own is happening everyday. It is not necessarily the employer’s choice. The words and reactions here are the reason why management now cares less about what people say.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I know they have no announced upcoming games. It's not belief or opinion, it's historically documented fact.
Theyre just done with Demon Soul remake and curently working on Elden Ring

What kind of historical documented fact youre talking about silly

Last edited:
Yep turns out everything Bloomberg said in November outside of yields is proven correct thus far,

More recently this is one of the things that caught my attention in their article from 8 days ago.

We know which major Japanese publishers are working on PlayStation 5 exclusive games, Square & Bandai.
I think Final Fantasy is the most likely game referenced, the franchise barely manages 1 million in Japan on the PlayStation 4 with a far bigger audience compared to what we can expect for the PlayStation 5 at the end of 2021. Compared to the PS1/PS2 days when the franchise was selling 3-4 million copies per entry - it's still problematic for Square if the game ends up declining even further into 500K to 750K territory.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 / 932.821
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 9.016.923

Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 / 1.042.951
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 3.640.602

Final Fantasy XII - 1.516.532 / 1.967.887
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 4.276.480

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 605.660 / 940.269
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 7.493.243

Most recent Final Fantasy games launched with far bigger audiences to sell to, in 2021 there is very little chance that the PS5 will surpass 1.25 million in Japan even with a late December release. Personally looking at the price, size and line-up for the PS5 I honestly struggle to see how it even surpasses 1 million in 2021.

It's a risk but strapping on a PS4 version while Sony is discontinuing PS4.. isn't going to help either - but it is what it is. Final Fantasy will basically become a lower profile franchise than Square's DQ spinoffs in Japan.
Final Fantasy games sucked since FFX. It's normal for it to drop in popularity.

Lol at people in this thread... must be Xbox fans.

The PlayStation brand has only become stronger with the more western influence it’s taken on. Weird Japanese games have little to no influence in the modern gaming age.

Just look at all the third party Japanese studios. Almost all of them have faded into nothing except for Capcom, who have traded in the Ramen for the Spaghetti. Hell even Square Enix has been propped up mostly by western IP like Tomb Raider...

Let’s also not forget to mention this guy was just a mid level guy, the type of employees that come and go constantly as they seek to climb the ladder fast if there’s not the opportunity in their current role, for whatever reason - could be their own performance, could be someone else got a promotion, could be lack of promotions due to Covid, department may not have enough budget for promotions, etc. so many different reasons.
Japan game has little influence?
All modern games are copy-paste Resident Evil 4 and Demon's Souls

Nezzeroth

Theyre just done with Demon Soul remake and curently working on Elden Ring

What kind of historical documented fact youre talking about silly
Elden Ring is now a Japan Studio game? Do you people know what that studio even does?

Japan game has little influence?
All modern games are copy-paste Resident Evil 4 and Demon's Souls

Yeah, and Breath of the Wild invented open worlds.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The Hyperbole in this thread is astounding.

Instead of drive by posting care to explain? All talent is leaving Japan Studio and if someone is concerned its Hyperbole?

Microsoft now has a better Japanese first party presence in Japan than Sony does thanks to Tango Gameworks, think about that.

Last edited:
Sony is doooooomed!

Or maybe it's just that most people usually don't work for the same company all their lives and eventually want to do their own thing, which includes running your own business. Toriyama, like the three other guys who left, probably had bigger ambitions and wants to be independent. It's not like a Kojima scenario where Konami was severely inhibiting his creative freedom, rather it's someone who doesn't want to keep working in a corporate setting, even if it does allow him to be creative. Japan Studio, like many other game studios, is simply going to be run by different faces, so who knows what they'll do next? Japan Studio's still a pretty big company and they can still reach out to second party developers. If we're seeing stories of Sony significantly downsizing Japan Studio by laying off a bunch of people, then we can start to talk about Sony's prospects in Japan. In the meantime, I don't see much reason to concern, to be honest.

ElCasual

More cinematic crap in the the same generic hide in the bushes, stealth behind and same shit, Sony is the new Ubisoft.

noshten

You are talking about retail copies, which every year are a smaller % of the total sales, and that games now are discounted more frequently and more aggresively. It's very likely that FFVIIR is the 2nd best selling one of these ones as of now, and in the long term may end pretty close to the 1st one.
Seems you don't quite understand how the Japanese video game market works. Digital is still under 30% for most titles and a JRPG are usually around 10% because of the used market. Digital outside of the voucher program Nintendo introduced, just isn't attractive because used pricing is generally very competitive and you can resell back the game once you finish.

In Japan retail is still huge especially for JRPGs because there is a huge second hand market. Once you finish FFVIIR you resell it and its cheaper to buy it second hand than to purchase it digitally. A good example is FFXV it never got a second shipment and second hand sales of the game around about 1/3 of the initial shipment. Retailers had to resort to selling FFXV at a loss to actually sell the initial order they made from Square Enix.

Media Create Sales: CY 2019 (2018 Dec 31 - 2019 Dec 29

520./237. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 3.085 / 1.022.325

Media Create Sales: CY 2019 Used (2018 Dec 31 - 2019 Dec 29)

040./025. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 44.667 / 342.375

I don't see things being much different for FFXIIR, it will never get close to 2 million.

Last edited:
Top Bottom