• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teruyuki Toriyama - Producer of Bloodborne, Demon's Souls etc - leaves Sony Japan Studio

TheAssist

I always struggle to understand what this job descriptions even mean in the video game world.

So technically a producer is more of an administrative role right? Handling time tables, budgets, negotiations, etc. . So not really a creative role.
But then you also have producers who apparently have a huge impact on creative decisions in some studios...
What kind of role did he play in Japan Studio?

S73v3

Banned
Eh, this is probably the last nail in the coffin for me when it comes to Sony console hardware.

I mean rachet and clank will most likely be ace but The rest of Sony's catalog outside of JS is bleak for me, unless I got a surprise ps5 from a relative or friend for Xmas, (lol) I'm not booting a ps5 anytime soon, if ever.

Sony has its audience, I guess the time for experiments is over. Shame.

Last edited:
What great thing has Japan studio even done over the last generation? They've been attached to games other companies have done most of the work on but what have they put out on their own?

I always struggle to understand what this job descriptions even mean in the video game world.

So technically a producer is more of an administrative role right? Handling time tables, budgets, negotiations, etc. . So not really a creative role.
But then you also have producers who apparently have a huge impact on creative decisions in some studios...
As far as I'm aware and I could be wrong the producer is as you said administrative and they have to approve things when it comes to creative etc but they aren't hands on in a way that they write the story or do any of the programming etc. It's a vital job, without the producer nothing would be done as they kind of tie the whole project together.

ANIMAL1975

Ps4 was a narrow generation in terms of Japan Studios games for a dev that is supposed to be one of the largest in WWS. What did they released, Bloodborne (but coproduced), Gravity Rush2, The Last Guardian and Cronquet Genie?... And seven years of rumors of a new big IP to be announced.
I don't know what to think anymore.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy-1.gif

Kamina

Golden Boy

A producer is more or less the Project Owner. While somone else might be managing the project, the peoducer is the one overseeing the course and taking decisions based on information given by the project management.
The roll can be critical as the producer can and will alter the overall direction of the game as responsible party for the product.

Geki-D

Banned

Game Credits​

Production​

Déraciné (2018) (Producers)
Bloodborne (2015) (Producers)
Soul Sacrifice: Delta (2014) (Assistant Producers)
Soul Sacrifice (2013) (Associate Producers)

Design​

Folklore (2007) (Planners)
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (2006) (Director)

Writers​

Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (2006) (Scenario Coordinator)

Thanks​

Freedom Wars (2014) (Special Thanks)
echoshift (2010) (Special Thanks)
Demon's Souls (2009) (Special Thanks)
Demon's Souls (Deluxe Edition) (2009) (Special Thanks)

Sounds like he's best known for greenlighting other people's ideas. He's apparently only a "special thanks" on Demon's Souls?

Seems like his most engaged contribution was on this:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is a producer leaving really that much of a thing?

On the other hand, nice of him on creating a new company. More games is always good news.

Hudo

I genuinely wonder what SIE Japan Studio is in Sony's long term strategy. Are they seen as support studio/asset creation house?

Not that I think those rumours are true, but if you did buy into them how would this put them to rest? Was there literally only one producer at Sony?
I didn't buy into them, I was talking about rumors themselves.
About your second point: it's true that many producers are replaceable but if you read interviews about Bloodborne's development you will find out that the producers helped shaping the beast that we all love a lot.

noshten

Yep turns out everything Bloomberg said in November outside of yields is proven correct thus far,

More recently this is one of the things that caught my attention in their article from 8 days ago.
One major Japanese publisher was sufficiently spooked by the early market response that it’s held internal discussions over whether to delay its PlayStation 5 games, according to a person familiar with the talks.

We know which major Japanese publishers are working on PlayStation 5 exclusive games, Square & Bandai.
I think Final Fantasy is the most likely game referenced, the franchise barely manages 1 million in Japan on the PlayStation 4 with a far bigger audience compared to what we can expect for the PlayStation 5 at the end of 2021. Compared to the PS1/PS2 days when the franchise was selling 3-4 million copies per entry - it's still problematic for Square if the game ends up declining even further into 500K to 750K territory.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 / 932.821
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 9.016.923

Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 / 1.042.951
PS4 Hardware at Launch - 3.640.602

Final Fantasy XII - 1.516.532 / 1.967.887
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 4.276.480

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 605.660 / 940.269
PS3 Hardware at Launch - 7.493.243

Most recent Final Fantasy games launched with far bigger audiences to sell to, in 2021 there is very little chance that the PS5 will surpass 1.25 million in Japan even with a late December release. Personally looking at the price, size and line-up for the PS5 I honestly struggle to see how it even surpasses 1 million in 2021.

It's a risk but strapping on a PS4 version while Sony is discontinuing PS4.. isn't going to help either - but it is what it is. Final Fantasy will basically become a lower profile franchise than Square's DQ spinoffs in Japan.

Last edited:

Fake

Hate that guy. WTF is he doing? Removing Japan from Sony step to step?

Yes.
And if anyone at all is leaving, clearly we must find someone at fault

Fuck you guys are such drama queens. People come and go all the time, for a multitude of reason outside of being angry at management, for fuck’s sake...
Oh The Drama GIF by moodman

One game is not created by a single person, but a group of people. Remember RARE? Lionhead Studios?

Remember when those two companies used to made amazing games? So, is not the name of that company, but the people who made them.

For any important person leave a company you lose a valuable person. Bloodborne was not done by one single person, but for a group of dedicated people, thats why the game is special.

When you start to see games becoming shit don't even wonder 'why' they're getting shit.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

Like who?

As you said a producer's role although very important is just an administrative one,nothing more nothing less.

In any case i wish him luck and thank him for what he has done.

sublimit

Banned
Playstation division is no longer Japanese at this point.
It hasn't been "Japanese" since the late years of PS3. Their plan was to strengthen their focus and budget on their Western studios while maintaining their good relations with Japanese 3rd parties (Square Enix,Sega/Atlus,Koei etc) which keep supporting Playstation with console exclusives (timed or not).

Last edited:

SilentUser

That's pretty bad, Sony. Japan is home to some awesome titles (GR2!) and you are doing this. Unless you do a massive turnaround and start producing a lot of titles, unlike previous gen, this will only bite in your ass.

OrionNebula

One game is not created for one person, but a group of person. Remember RARE? Lionhead Studius?

Remember when those two companies made amazing games? So, is not the name of that company, but the people who made them.

For any important person leave a company you lose a valuable person.

When you start to see games became shit don't even wonder 'why' they're getting shit.
Here, let me help you with that statement
Drama Reaction GIF

Job doesn’t stay vacant.
People get replaced, giving opprtunities for something new to rise up, with something fresh to bring to the table
If guy is bored and desinterested after doing the same thing for 10+ years, what good is it, really? If he does not thrive anymore in his work and only go through motions, what good is it, really? Is experience the only factor to consider?

Do you think Naughty Dog has the very same staff as day 1? Just naming 1 random studio, here, like you did...

Fake

Here, let me help you with that statement
Drama Reaction GIF

Job doesn’t stay vacant.
People get replaced, giving opprtunities for something new to rise up, with something fresh to bring to the table
If guy is bored and desinterested after doing the same thing for 10+ years, what good is it, really? If he does not thrive anymore in his work and only go through motions, what good is it, really? Is experience the only factor to consider?

Do you think Naughty Dog has the very same staff as day 1? Just naming 1 random studio, here, like you did...

Nobody is giving you context, but still you're giving context. Unless he is open about 'why' he is really leaving Japan Studious, we will never know if what you're saying is true or not.

BTW, Some ND enployers leave the company for others reason too. Remember the sexual harassment accusation?

So, is not 'drama'. I know people leave companies all the bloody time, but giving the proper context and not to mention the guy was simple part of the Bloodborne creation I want to know more, as a Bloodborne fan.

Last edited:

Miles708

Playstation brand is valuable because of its massively different offering.
That's why everyone wants a Playstation.
That's it. That's the only reason.

But go on, make all western games. Worked wonders for Microsoft.

Sony:

what the fuck are you doing wtf GIF by Girls on HBO

Last edited:
Top Bottom