• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

News Tencent Patents “PC Video Game Console,” Hardware Images Revealed

ZlleH

Dec 21, 2020
https://mp1st.com/news/tencent-patents-pc-video-game-console-hardware-images-revealed

Do you have room for more gaming devices in your life? It appears multi-billion corporation Tencent might be eyeing to enter the hardware video game market, as the company has obtained a patent for a “PC video game console” today.

The console itself looks like a Nintendo Switch hybrid though running on Windows platform.

Note that gaming handhelds and even home consoles that run Windows and Android is nothing new. But given this is Tencent, which has war chest that could rival Microsoft, and has its hands in a lot of video game companies, it’s definitely worth noticing. Tencent is also the distributor for the Nintendo Switch in China, so take from that what you will.

Also, Tencent filing a patent for this doesn’t mean we’ll see this come out with 100% certainty. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one.

Reality Czar

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
Or I could skip the console and let Xi Jinping just C0V1D test a microphone directly into my skull?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Cert.in.Death

Jun 28, 2013
Utah
Not digging that particular prototype, but I definitely support efforts to try and introduce a mobile device that runs games distributed via Steam, EGS, GOG, etc.

TBH, it's a product MS should have made happen years ago. If only PS would have the balls to delve back in.

yurinka

Jan 19, 2007
Barcelona, Spain
www.capcom-town.es
Prolly comes packaged with Chinese back doors LOL
Very likely. Every smartphone, tablet, computer, handheld or any other device, OS or app from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon and so on comes packaged with American back doors, so it's fair to assume the Chinese would do the same.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2015
Chicago, IL USA
steamcommunity.com
I think the concept of a pre-built PC with current gen specs sold at current gen prices(PS5 and XSX) sounds great and would be great for introducing a ton of more people into the PC gaming market. Unfortunately, this device will probably be too under-powered and not the concept I'm thinking of. Steam machines came close, but they did a lot wrong.

FStubbs

Aug 29, 2010
Very likely. Every smartphone, tablet, computer, handheld or any other device, OS or app from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon and so on comes packaged with American back doors, so it's fair to assume the Chinese would do the same.
I seem to recall the FBI dragging Apple into Congressional hearings precisely BECAUSE there was no back door on some terrorist's iPhone and they wanted to force Apple to somehow create one.

BusierDonkey

Sep 21, 2018
I have enough American companies spying on me and selling my info, why would I want to willingly pay to have China doing it too?

The American companies and government are already giving them all my info at no cost to me. It's a sweet deal!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Animagic

BeardGawd

Dec 16, 2019
China's M.O.

Force Nintendo to use Tencent to distribute Switch hardware and software in China.

Tencent then creates a direct competitor copying the concept.

DaGwaphics

Dec 29, 2019
I think the concept of a pre-built PC with current gen specs sold at current gen prices(PS5 and XSX) sounds great and would be great for introducing a ton of more people into the PC gaming market. Unfortunately, this device will probably be too under-powered and not the concept I'm thinking of. Steam machines came close, but they did a lot wrong.

So a console? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Would be hard for any pre-built PC to match console pricing, simply because it would be sold for a profit. There wouldn't be an incentive to subsidize hardware for an open platform, no way to recoup the losses.

Last edited:

Shelookdlvl18

Nov 8, 2020
I'll be honest. The fanboy in me paused when I read the part about Tencent able to rival Microsoft.

Microsoft is worth roughly twice as much, with twice as much revenue.

As to the actual console? If it looks like a switch, and walks like a switch... Why not just get a switch?