• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent Patents “PC Video Game Console,” Hardware Images Revealed

Not digging that particular prototype, but I definitely support efforts to try and introduce a mobile device that runs games distributed via Steam, EGS, GOG, etc.

TBH, it's a product MS should have made happen years ago. If only PS would have the balls to delve back in.

Stuart360

giphy.gif

Yeah no thanks. It probably weighs like 30lbs from all the tracking gadgets in it.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I think the concept of a pre-built PC with current gen specs sold at current gen prices(PS5 and XSX) sounds great and would be great for introducing a ton of more people into the PC gaming market. Unfortunately, this device will probably be too under-powered and not the concept I'm thinking of. Steam machines came close, but they did a lot wrong.

FStubbs

Very likely. Every smartphone, tablet, computer, handheld or any other device, OS or app from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon and so on comes packaged with American back doors, so it's fair to assume the Chinese would do the same.
I seem to recall the FBI dragging Apple into Congressional hearings precisely BECAUSE there was no back door on some terrorist's iPhone and they wanted to force Apple to somehow create one.

I have enough American companies spying on me and selling my info, why would I want to willingly pay to have China doing it too?

The American companies and government are already giving them all my info at no cost to me. It's a sweet deal!

BeardGawd

Banned
China's M.O.

Force Nintendo to use Tencent to distribute Switch hardware and software in China.

Tencent then creates a direct competitor copying the concept.

DaGwaphics

I think the concept of a pre-built PC with current gen specs sold at current gen prices(PS5 and XSX) sounds great and would be great for introducing a ton of more people into the PC gaming market. Unfortunately, this device will probably be too under-powered and not the concept I'm thinking of. Steam machines came close, but they did a lot wrong.

So a console? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Would be hard for any pre-built PC to match console pricing, simply because it would be sold for a profit. There wouldn't be an incentive to subsidize hardware for an open platform, no way to recoup the losses.

Last edited:
I'll be honest. The fanboy in me paused when I read the part about Tencent able to rival Microsoft.

Microsoft is worth roughly twice as much, with twice as much revenue.

As to the actual console? If it looks like a switch, and walks like a switch... Why not just get a switch?

MastaKiiLA

Very likely. Every smartphone, tablet, computer, handheld or any other device, OS or app from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon and so on comes packaged with American back doors, so it's fair to assume the Chinese would do the same.
This. WTF does anyone care? China wants to spy on your shitty gaming habits? LOL. Especially when everyone with the snark currently has a dozen apps on their phone that are already tracking and compiling reams of data on them.

The only thing that matters is battery life and screen quality. Tencent make a shitton of games. Some good, some bad. Given that they own WeChat, and that has turned into an e-commerce hub, I wonder how this will tie into that app. This will probably end up being China-centric, but if they can make a portable handheld that can play Windows games...sign me up. If it's just mobile games from Tencent, then I'll pass. I only ever have time for 1 mobile game at a time, and that's currently Dragonsky. Don't see myself moving on from that anytime soon.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

This. WTF does anyone care? China wants to spy on your shitty gaming habits? LOL. Especially when everyone with the snark currently has a dozen apps on their phone that are already tracking and compiling reams of data on them.
Hmmm it’s almost like people are more comfortable sharing their data with some companies more than others

miles118

The only thing that matters is battery life and screen quality. Tencent make a shitton of games. Some good, some bad. Given that they own WeChat, and that has turned into an e-commerce hub, I wonder how this will tie into that app. This will probably end up being China-centric, but if they can make a portable handheld that can play Windows games...sign me up. If it's just mobile games from Tencent, then I'll pass. I only ever have time for 1 mobile game at a time, and that's currently Dragonsky. Don't see myself moving on from that anytime soon.

Hmmm it’s almost like people are more comfortable sharing their data with some companies more than others
Maybe it's because I don't want to support an autocrative system that aims at taking democratie away and if becomes more powerful would take a lot of my freedom away. Also a system that steals patent from other countries. Who knows... But hey games are good. Who cares right ?

Last edited:

Fbh

If I complete all achievements in a game while playing this does it reflect positively on my social credit score?

MastaKiiLA

Maybe it's because I don't want to support an autocrative system that aims at taking democratie away and if becomes more powerful would take a lot of my freedom away. Also a system that steals patent from other countries. Who knows... But hey games are good. Who cares right ?
sexy the walking dead GIF

It's okay. Keep your gaming secrets to yourselves. No need to dress it up.

Top Bottom