• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 55.77 million | Animal Crossing: New Horizons sales top 13.41 million

Jtibh

Banned
Anyone can tell me if animal crossing is ok to play by a 5 year old?
Would she get it is it text heavy etc.

My daughter is all over spyro and sonic but i try to get her a switch so she can take it where ever we go but i need to make sure its not an investment she wont like.

Other then spyro what ofher games can you guys recommend that a 5 yead old would grasp

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
13 million for Animal Crossing...? I'm not knocking anyone who loves the series, but isn't it a cartoony life sim..? Nintendo really can market anything if has the Nintendo charm. I seriously don't get it.

And then straight up GOATs like God of War and the Witcher 3 can barely pass 6 mil? I must have been part of the hardcore niche for so long that I can't even relate to the casual crowd.
I’m sorry bud, you tout GoW and The Witcher 3 as GOATs and you say you can’t relate to the casual crowd? :messenger_winking_tongue:

NSMBU’s numbers should really make us rethink everything we thought we knew about the pulling power of 2D Mario in the Wii era. Didn’t the Wii game sell more than 20 million? This one’s been out for more than a year on Switch and doesn’t look like it’s going to break 10 millions anytime soon.

Mario Kart 8 is... astounding. Polygon will never outlive that pie chart, LOL. But it’s high time for DLC or a new title with a few tweaks. Keep all the characters, go wild with multiplayer modes that can be as engrossing as on N64, give us the option to deactivate specific items like the thunderbolt, and make it less grindy to get coins for unlocking new stuff. Oh, and maybe a single player mode like in MK DS. The game’s engine and physics are the best the series ever had, so they can keep those.

It's the combined sales of it's worst selling handheld console and worst selling home console, and the Switch is not going to beat it by much,
That's not good regardless, when supposedly the Switch is to replace both.
And there's plenty of overlap with the Switch and Switch Lite owners being from the same household.
Also, WiiU had an immensely high attach rate too with 720p games on disc that cost $60 USD.

There's like three goalpost moves in that posting alone. Impressive. 👏

cryptoadam

Banned
Dear lord, those Software Numbers are insane!

I have always thought that Mario Kart 8 DX in particular has to be one of the most profitable videogames ever, considering the near-to-none development cost due to the great sales on Wii U.
That game alone is making the buck for Nintendo. To this day, it just won't stop selling.

I want an(other) expansion :-(

I think Nintendo could sell Mario Kart 8 Remaster Deluxe Extreme on Switch 2, Switch 3, and Switch 4 LOL. The game just won't stop selling.

cryptoadam

Banned
What do you guys think the next-gen consoles will do to Switch sales? Could they slow down the Switch's momentum?

I think launch month we will see PS5 and Series X take a bite out of switch, but after that I don't think it will effect it to much. Switch will also have price drops and probably some hardware revisions to battle back.

Eventually the Switch will slow down because it will hit saturation and be 5 years old. By then I expect Nintendo to release another system.

I think MS and Sony will take sales from each other, and they will also probably confuse the market a bit. MS will have 2 systems probably, Sony will be talking about SSD's will MS will be pushing Terra Flops. Consumers will just be confused and maybe a bit frustrated with all this next gen power/Streaming/Terra Flops/SSDs talk. Both system will sell a ton but they will be fighting over the same audience and sending out all kinds of mixed messages.

What I would like to see is Nintendo to get some machine learning/DLSS tech into a switch Pro. And then for Switch 2 use DLSS and RT to try and get as close to PS5 as possible.

Nintendo right now:

nD2LWjO.gif

Hope you guys did your best Nintendoomed shitposting about them going 3rd party or whatever recently because that's officially no longer possible.

I mean yeah, I get the whole different strokes thing, but to me, life is already enough of a chore balancing work, family, home maintenance, hobbies, etc. It just blows my mind that there is a huge market to do all of those things virtually. That was really the point of my post; that there is a larger market to duplicate daily tasks with animal people as opposed to experiencing a cinematic story with engrossing world & gameplay.

It made me think about the different reasons people choose to play games. I've always thought it was the different experiences offered by developers, but this may not be the case for everyone.

When I play a game, I'm trying to hit pause on the duties of life, not start another one. But I've clearly struck a nerve and it was unintentional. If you could maybe explain the appeal of the games, rather than throw up the argument that essentially boils down to "opinions," then this could've been a more informative discussion.
My girlfriend is obsessed with it. She has a whole group at work that all play it and added each other as friends. It's the first time she added any friends other than me on her system. She was still playing the 3ds one up until the day before the switch one came out!

Chastten

Banned
Pokemon and Animal Crossing are Nintendo's Fifa and Call of Duty: casual games that attract casual people who only buy 2-3 games a year. Most of my FB has been all over AC for a month now, it's incredible.

Anyways, those are some pretty decent numbers and far better then I expected back in early 2017. Glad it does so well as it's probably the best piece of hardware Nintendo has put out since the original Game Boy. Software numbers for Nintendo's own stuff is always absolutely insane.

And without any price drop

On software as well (kind of), which is a shame for us but ridiculously profitable for them. The profit margin on the Mario Kart 8 port must be unparalleled, how much did they spend on that and how much was the return? That's basically an endless source of free money.

Last edited:

Hosam6xavi

Banned
On software as well (kind of), which is a shame for us but ridiculously profitable for them. The profit margin on the Mario Kart 8 port must be unparalleled, how much did they spend on that and how much was the return? That's basically an endless source of free money.
Don't forget animal crossing and Pokemon on previous entries the price was 40$ now its 60$

Huge profit

Grinchy

Banned
When you think of the one game that every Switch owner probably bought, my mind doesn't immediately go to Mario Kart 8.

But wtf? 25M sales on a device with 56M total sales. Half of all Switch owners have bought this game? That just doesn't sound possible.

goldenpp72

It's the combined sales of it's worst selling handheld console and worst selling home console, and the Switch is not going to beat it by much,
That's not good regardless, when supposedly the Switch is to replace both.
And there's plenty of overlap with the Switch and Switch Lite owners being from the same household.
Also, WiiU had an immensely high attach rate too with 720p games on disc that cost $60 USD.

When comparing to their direct competitors they are doing fine, so yeah.

noqtic

Glad Astral Chain passed a mil and I'm so happy that Zelda is taking it's rightful place on the chart.

iconmaster

Banned
When you think of the one game that every Switch owner probably bought, my mind doesn't immediately go to Mario Kart 8.

But wtf? 25M sales on a device with 56M total sales. Half of all Switch owners have bought this game? That just doesn't sound possible.

I hear you. The numbers do include bundled sales, so maybe it has a lot to do with the Mario Kart Switch bundle. It seemed like that one was going on for a while.

njean777

Anyone can tell me if animal crossing is ok to play by a 5 year old?
Would she get it is it text heavy etc.

My daughter is all over spyro and sonic but i try to get her a switch so she can take it where ever we go but i need to make sure its not an investment she wont like.

Other then spyro what ofher games can you guys recommend that a 5 yead old would grasp

As long as she can read I think it should be ok, it isn't super text heavy. Just little quips and conversations with villagers. She should be able to understand it as long as she can grasp what they are asking her to do. The only longer conversations really happen with Tom Nook and Isabelle.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Great numbers, but it makes the (literally) empty release schedule after Xenoblade DE all the more baffeling. Corona isn't an excuse for the biggest software maker in the world to not have *any* big (new!) games announced past May.

Wandering around Tokyo yesterday, I randomly stumbled across Sony World headquarters. In the middle if the day it was closed and totally empty. It is a pretty safe bet that covid is slowing down release schedules big time.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Holy hell, if they really meet forecast, they could easily hit 85-90 million units sold sometime in 2022. Moreover, 2022 would be a great time for a successor.

However, Nintendo should start some acquisitions so that their pipeline doesn’t become as bone dry as it currently is.

Last edited:

mickaus

My sister is enjoying animal crossing on the home switch but because of supply issues we can't buy another one so I can play other games, she has been playing it a lot. I'm okay with games on other consoles but I am hoping to play Xenoblade 1 and 2 in a few months after she finishes playing animal crossing. It is crazy what people are buying these days in Australia, first everyone bought toilet paper, then pasta, tissues, beans and mince, then Nintendo switches and then iPads (I bought one for my grandmother and had to get a more expensive one because stock was over a month away for most iPads here). Funnily enough there are plenty of switch lites in stock, I guess everyone wants to play animal crossing on a big monitor/TV.

Wandering around Tokyo yesterday, I randomly stumbled across Sony World headquarters. In the middle if the day it was closed and totally empty. It is a pretty safe bet that covid is slowing down release schedules big time.

Nintendo's release schedule isn't "slowed down". It is literally non-existent past Xenoblade DE. No other big publisher has an empty release list.

//DEVIL//

I am going to get a lot of hate for this but honestly I can’t get m self excited to buy the switch again . I had one on release day and played Zelda and MARIO odyssey plus other few games and I sold it recently with a profit even thanks to the lack of hardware these few days .
I hate Pokémon and the 38 years old on me can’t find my self playing animal crossing which I don’t like too . Luigi was fun for a while and I just can’t play the thing on handheld because I hate portable gaming .

I know I am in the minority( if not alone ) but I want Nintendo to go back to the GameCube days with actual powerful hardware . Zero chance of that happening with the success they have in the portable and the switch market ( which was a genius idea that I think Nintendo will adapt for the future as well )

but me being a graphics whore I need something abit more powerful than this .

GeorgPrime

Banned
I hope they will give me a upgraded Switch Successor with more power but same concept in the future

Last edited:

Kazza

I wish games like Astral Chain sold better, but 1 million at this point in its life is really not bad at all for the genre.

I think Platinum will be happy with that, but it makes me sad to see such a well done original IP like that sell 1 million whereas reheated Wii U ports sell 10+ million at full price :messenger_pouting:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I think Platinum will be happy with that, but it makes me sad to see such a well done original IP like that sell 1 million whereas reheated Wii U ports sell 10+ million at full price :messenger_pouting:

Well for Platinum it already exceeded their sales expectations. So its a huge success i guess

While full sales numbers weren't disclosed at the time, Taura mentioned in an interview with Famitsu that Astral Chain had outperformed the companies' sales expectations.[38] As of March 2020, the game has sold 1.08 million copies worldwide.[39]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_Chain#cite_note-40

Kazza

I know I am in the minority( if not alone ) but I want Nintendo to go back to the GameCube days with actual powerful hardware .

Actually, I think you are probably in the majority on this forum, but unfortunately the general public don't seem to agree. The next gen would be much more exciting with Nintendo in the mix. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo do with their next system: play it safe with a Switch 2, or do something crazy like a VR only system?

Ah well, these games are just not very accessible. Even really well known spectacle fighters like Devil May Cry only sell like 2-3 million-ish or so across multiple platforms.

Saruhashi

Banned
I legit wonder if The Sims fans also have to deal with stupid questions like this.

Almost certainly. A lot of people don't seem able to grasp the idea that there can be loads of different types of games and some people will have a preference.

One of the crazy things for me is that folks don't seem to get why the content in some games really isn't for everyone regardless of how technically impressive the game might be. The Witcher 3 and God of War are great games but if you aren't into that action, fantasy, violence kind of thing then what? Just you can't have any games to play?

Same with something like RDR2. What if you aren't into westerns or don't want a game that takes ages to complete or don't like shooting games etc etc?
What if instead of all that you just wanted something laid back and family-friendly to pick up and play for a while?

Nintendo offers a pretty decent alternative when it comes to gaming so it's not surprising that people are drawn to that.

What is surprising is that so many people don't get the idea that maybe there's loads of people who don't really want to play something like The Witcher or GTA.

FStubbs

Almost certainly. A lot of people don't seem able to grasp the idea that there can be loads of different types of games and some people will have a preference.

One of the crazy things for me is that folks don't seem to get why the content in some games really isn't for everyone regardless of how technically impressive the game might be. The Witcher 3 and God of War are great games but if you aren't into that action, fantasy, violence kind of thing then what? Just you can't have any games to play?

Same with something like RDR2. What if you aren't into westerns or don't want a game that takes ages to complete or don't like shooting games etc etc?
What if instead of all that you just wanted something laid back and family-friendly to pick up and play for a while?

Nintendo offers a pretty decent alternative when it comes to gaming so it's not surprising that people are drawn to that.

What is surprising is that so many people don't get the idea that maybe there's loads of people who don't really want to play something like The Witcher or GTA.

Do I get to point out that The Witcher 3 is actually available on Switch?

Saruhashi

Banned
It's not great.
They have to sell around 30 million more units to equal the 3DS and WiiU install base.
By the time they do that, it will be at least the end of 2021 which would give the Switch only one more year until the Switch 2.
They totally failed to expand their user-base.

How would you know that it's "not great"?
How would anyone outside Nintendo really now if it's considered good or not good or OK or whatever?

Surely at some point before the console was launched they would have some kind of internal sales targets and the employees (in whatever position) in charge of meeting those targets would likely be assessed on how well the console sells?

With Animal Crossing they obviously had a pretty decent advertising budget. Most likely the folks in charge of taking that budget and turning it into a marketing campaign which sells units would have targets that they are expected to meet.

You seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
3DS sold 383m games compared to the Switch's 350m. The Switch is lagging behind in hardware sales a bit too (55m vs 76m) but not by much. It's definitely selling faster given the shorter timeframe.

However, 3DS launched 9 years ago yet people are seriously comparing the sales between the two systems lol

On top of that, we're comparing a $300 system that only recently got a $200 option to a $250 flop that quickly dropped below $200 in shame and desperation. For much of its life, the 3DS has been in the $150 range, half the price of a standard Switch.

When compared to the bottom rungs of NIntendo's other systems, Switch is doing quite well. Time will tell if we have another Wii or DS on our hands. It could have an extremely long lifespan as a cheap $100-150 handheld after Nintendo moves on to their next strange experiment. There are certainly enough games for it already. Who knows?

Saruhashi

Banned
Do I get to point out that The Witcher 3 is actually available on Switch?

Of course. I don't think it makes any difference though.

People seem baffled by the popularity of Animal Crossing simply because it's not their kind of game.

It's not my kind of game either but it's easy to see why people might prefer Animal Crossing over The Witcher 3 based on the content alone.

For example, PS4 is my go to console for AAA games. Most of the big releases do catch my eye and I will likely buy and play them at some point.
However, there is very little in my PS4 library of games that could be recommended to someone who isn't into games with violence, shooting, horror, open world, action-based gameplay. So if someone isn't really into that stuff but they do want to play some games then probably Switch would be my recommendation.

Saruhashi

Banned
3DS sold 383m games compared to the Switch's 350m. The Switch is lagging behind in hardware sales a bit too (55m vs 76m) but not by much. It's definitely selling faster given the shorter timeframe.

However, 3DS launched 9 years ago yet people are seriously comparing the sales between the two systems lol

On top of that, we're comparing a $300 system that only recently got a $200 option to a $250 flop that quickly dropped below $200 in shame and desperation. For much of its life, the 3DS has been in the $150 range, half the price of a standard Switch.

When compared to the bottom rungs of NIntendo's other systems, Switch is doing quite well. Time will tell if we have another Wii or DS on our hands. It could have an extremely long lifespan as a cheap $100-150 handheld after Nintendo moves on to their next strange experiment. There are certainly enough games for it already. Who knows?

In the Great Console War it is important to downplay anything that looks like success for the other companies.

Look at the XBOX reveal from yesterday. It was a 30 minute video with some upcoming games shown. Nothing more and nothing less.
Yet, people are acting like Microsoft personally shattered the hopes and dreams of everyone around the world.
It was an advertisement for upcoming video games that for some reason people wanted to watch for 30 minutes and then weep with joy over how amazing it all was. It's a fucking advert and it always was going to be no more than an advert. Calm down.

"Oh shit XBOX has announced some games? Better put a negative spin on it! It was just a video of some games! Boooring!"

"Nintendo announced decent sales figures? Better play that down ASAP! My Switch is collecting dust and the 3DS sold more and all the games have PS2 graphics."

"Sony's massively anticipated exclusive had some leaks! Better make sure I spoil the game for all those Sony fanboys who think their exclusives are so great. LOL 3rd person walking simulators amirite?"

What any sensible person really wants from the industry is tons of different consoles with tons of different games.
Then you can just ignore the stuff you don't want to play and enjoy the stuff you do want to play.
Company X is offering a handheld console but you don't like that? No worries, Company Y has you covered over here.

The dumbest thing is that each generation plays out the same way anyways.
Sony's exclusives carry them to millions of consoles sales.
Microsoft has less success but offers a solid alternative to Sony with some nice exclusives of their own.
Nintendo offers their own take on things with more family friendly content, or content that is distinctive from the usual AAA blockbuster stuff, and offers a decent handheld gaming experience.

PS5 will sell the most next gen.
XBOX will offer a solid alternative with Game Pass being a good affordable option.
They will be similar (probably pretty indistinguishable to most) in terms of power,
Nintendo will offer another alternative to these for people who may not be into what the other 2 are offering.
PC gaming will always be there for anyone who wants to really be able to have many, many, more options and possibilities.

Console Warriors will continue to fight their pointless fight through to the next gen in like 2030 where we will argue over who's streaming service is best.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It's not great.
They have to sell around 30 million more units to equal the 3DS and WiiU install base.
By the time they do that, it will be at least the end of 2021 which would give the Switch only one more year until the Switch 2.
They totally failed to expand their user-base.
I don't know if you're trolling or 100% serious. If you're serious then how can you compare the sales of a 3 years old machine with something that is 8 years old and something that is almost 10 years old?

Top Bottom