• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit!

3Xjha.png

Gargantia, Blue Exorcist movie, Gifu Dodo, Battle Tendency, Rozen Maiden, and LWA are on the short list right now. Hoping to spend this backlog season checking out some stuff like Aku no Hana and the Eccentric Family. I see hosanna listed kira deco as eligibile too so I have some thinking to do!!

Kira Deco ended in March, so it's totally eligible! (Gotta get around to Happiness sometime soon...)

Isn't this the rotoscoped show nobody liked when they found out it was rotoscoped?

As you can clearly see, many people do actually like it. It's incredibly well directed.

Soma

I can see both Aku no Hana and Eccentric Family pretty high on my AOTY list (much higher than SnK at least). Wolf Children is definitely up there too but with the potentially awesome Fall season around the corner, it's too early for me to list my favorites of the year just yet.

Hoping it'll be a spring series. Or, better yet, winter, but they generally have official announcements for series months and months in advance, don't they?

Not necessarily. Can't think of any specifics, but I know we've had announcements only a season in advance.

I don't think JoJo would be one of them, though. I think they're supposed to be rerunning it or something.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Genshiken Nidaime 13
What the hell was this? Like seriously what the fuck. Up until now this has been a fairly faithful adaptation of the manga, but this episode is entirely original anime content. It makes sense that a divergence from the source material would be necessary, there is simply too much manga content to adapt for the episode count here.

As it is though the freshly born content here is like the worst sort of fan fiction. The series is coming to a conclusion on a hot springs episode that awkwardly attempts to imitate events of the original Genshiken. An extreme number of important details are carelessly glossed over as the show both tries to tie things up while half aligning with the manga's story to come. Unfortunately the subject matter here is delicate. Genshiken Nidaime is at its most interesting when it focuses on Hato as a core while dealing with gender identity and how he relates to others (specifically love interests) as a result. The anime original content here kind of just dumps all that stuff to the side, and in the most insulting and reductive fashion leaves the main character's life decisions as a club vote.

With all the situations stemming from an anime original format the references are now tied more to animation, and instead of feeling sort of ingrained background pieces or a means of communication the callbacks just felt like lame parodic jokes. I don't really know what to do when Attack on Titan references come up other than to shrug.

Even with full liberties taken the show just completely fell on its face and churned out this poorly paced garbage. This is a dull and inconclusive ending that simply avoids dealing with any of the problems originally presented.

CorvoSol

The Flowers of Evil 1

So I've bitten the bullet. I know, I know, of all the recommendations made, the last one is the one I take first. Anyway, go easy on me, 'cuz I'm just giving my honest impressions here, and not trying to make a big ol' judgment. Which will sound ironic in a moment.

I was kinda bored. Like, I accept that this episode is setting things up, and that is fine, but man, most of this episode felt like Evangelion without the giant robots and aliens. Just a depressed kid wandering around town. So I congratulate it on doing an authentic job of setting the scene of a teenager who is bored with his mundane life style.

Yamada seems like an okay guy for a teenager, but Kojima looked HIGH AS HELL.

Are the backgrounds and objects rotoscoped, too? Because that stuff looked like an insane amount of detail to animate compared to the simplistic look of the rotopeople.

The last three minutes or so were very well directed in the sense that without much of an overt change in what was going on, there was still a very big shift in tone, or something. You all know I'm terrible at putting this flowery stuff into words.

The rotoscoping was kind of unnerving, mostly because it left people without faces at points, which was odd. That said, it did grant a level of movement to the characters that I don't think regular anime can do, so there was certainly that to its favor.

I'm glad I've started taking a class on the differences between cultures recently, because otherwise I'd be tempted to say that the teacher way over reacted to the girl's taunt, but then again, I'm no stranger to seeing students do petty things to teachers like that, and I've seen teachers just shrug it off, and the whole misbehaving/problem student screwing with a teacher is a standard of American schoolroom settings. In Japan, though, I'm guessing that disrespecting your teacher is a much bigger deal.

That ending song was creepy as HELL and really fit in with the entire scene because man did that kid have a rapist/murderer look on his face there at the end.

Zukuu

Banned
Ending song is so awesome. Even tho I aborted the series, that one I grabbed.

Shit gets real with episode 3 and onward.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My preliminary list:

1. The Flowers of Evil
2. Teekyuu
3. Tamayura MORE AGGRO (I haven't seen this, but consider it a loyalty vote for SatoJun)
Mai imouto/aneki/whatever "sister" is in Japanese, etc.

Flowers and Tamayura in same list. Kind of breaks my brain.
They'd both be in my end of year list probably, barring some awesome Fall season.

The best anime next to the second best visual novel (after Cross Days).

Genshiken Nidaime 13
What the hell was this? Like seriously what the fuck. Up until now this has been a fairly faithful adaptation of the manga, but this episode is entirely original anime content. It makes sense that a divergence from the source material would be necessary, there is simply too much manga content to adapt for the episode count here.

As it is though the freshly born content here is like the worst sort of fan fiction. The series is coming to a conclusion on a hot springs episode that awkwardly attempts to imitate events of the original Genshiken. An extreme number of important details are carelessly glossed over as the show both tries to tie things up while half aligning with the manga's story to come. Unfortunately the subject matter here is delicate. Genshiken Nidaime is at its most interesting when it focuses on Hato as a core while dealing with gender identity and how he relates to others (specifically love interests) as a result. The anime original content here kind of just dumps all that stuff to the side, and in the most insulting and reductive fashion leaves the main character's life decisions as a club vote.

With all the situations stemming from an anime original format the references are now tied more to animation, and instead of feeling sort of ingrained background pieces or a means of communication the callbacks just felt like lame parodic jokes. I don't really know what to do when Attack on Titan references come up other than to shrug.

Even with full liberties taken the show just completely fell on its face and churned out this poorly paced garbage. This is a dull and inconclusive ending that simply avoids dealing with any of the problems originally presented.
Ah, was this completely original? I had no idea.

Even then, I don't think the manga knows what it's doing with Hato, so I don't blame the anime guys for glossing over it with a simple "be what you want to be" message.

And they did say they'd find a way to animate volume 8 and 9 in the manga, so there's that. lol

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 43

Hana goes to school with Doremi and the others. Hilarity ensues. Episode would have been better without those three weird dudes all showing up at the school. Should have just been Akatsuki just so Hana could wreak havoc at the school.

Soma

The Flowers of Evil 1

That ending song was creepy as HELL and really fit in with the entire scene because man did that kid have a rapist/murderer look on his face there at the end.

I really didn't like the episode at first but that scene with the ending song segueing into the credits singlehandedly made me come back and give the show another chance.

I'm glad I did because I ended up enjoying the show quite a bit.

Articalys

There's no good solution for AOTY anymore. You either do a vote where, no matter what the ruleset, people will complain, or you don't have one at all, in which case only the people that actually wanted one will complain. I don't even know which direction to go anymore.

By the way, there's been one movie in the top ten each of the three years we've done this so far (Haruhi, Redline, and K-On).

-----------------------------

Regarding JoJo: the series is rerunning in a prime-time TV slot starting next month, which means the absolute soonest a new season might start would indeed be April 2014. Could still be later, of course.

dimb

Even then, I don't think the manga knows what it's doing with Hato, so I don't blame the anime guys for glossing over it with a simple "be what you want to be" message.
Regardless of whether the manga knows what it is doing with Hato, they at least validly explain the important plot points which makes things vastly more interesting. The reasons for Hato to stop crossdressing are completely written off to begin with, so this lame brain conclusion for it just feels like the solution to a problem that isn't properly substantiated. Even that "be what you want to be" message is completely mucked up when the actual conclusion is reached by the majority saying, "I think you should dress as a girl."

The anime's route with Madrame was also just weird. Like...it just ends in nothing and they didn't even try. Meanwhile the manga is juggling like four different love interests for him that are completely written off and forgotten about in the last episode of the anime.
There's no good solution for AOTY anymore.
Just let me pick all ten shows.

There's no good solution for AOTY anymore. You either do a vote where, no matter what the ruleset, people will complain, or you don't have one at all, in which case only the people that actually wanted one will complain. I don't even know which direction to go anymore.

Current rules are fine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regardless of whether the manga knows what it is doing with Hato, they at least validly explain the important plot points which makes things vastly more interesting. The reasons for Hato to stop crossdressing are completely written off to begin with, so this lame brain conclusion for it just feels like the solution to a problem that isn't properly substantiated. Even that "be what you want to be" message is completely mucked up when the actual conclusion is reached by the majority saying, "I think you should dress as a girl."

The anime's route with Madrame was also just weird. Like...it just ends in nothing and they didn't even try. Meanwhile the manga is juggling like four different love interests for him that are completely written off and forgotten about in the last episode of the anime.

Yeah, but that's almost what you have to expect with anime adaptations these days. Especially of texts that are still on-going.

Hell, I'm sure there are people here who still think the Aoi Hana anime has a bad ending. Where are they now?! lol

wonzo

Banned
How were the Aku no Hana blurays? They're supposed to look better right?
They redid parts of the rotoscoping and you can catch some of it in the flashback parts in the later episodes.
The only way that would work if it was completely remade.
tsktsk.gif

Hell, I'm sure there are people here who still think the Aoi Hana anime has a bad ending. Where are they now?! lol
They still got together in the end so that counts for something…

still, fuckin shimura

dimb

Yeah, but that's almost what you have to expect with anime adaptations these days. Especially of texts that are still on-going.
Then they shouldn't be made. I would rather have them keep following the series if they are just going to end in the middle of nowhere regardless. Even if they wanted to wrap things up on their own terms the ending here could have been much better.

The Flowers of Evil 1

I'm proud of you.

I was kinda bored. Like, I accept that this episode is setting things up, and that is fine, but man, most of this episode felt like Evangelion without the giant robots and aliens. Just a depressed kid wandering around town. So I congratulate it on doing an authentic job of setting the scene of a teenager who is bored with his mundane life style.

The first episode is all about setting up the atmosphere of the decrepit town and Kasuga's boring regular life before everything begins to change for him.

Are the backgrounds and objects rotoscoped, too? Because that stuff looked like an insane amount of detail to animate compared to the simplistic look of the rotopeople.

The backgrounds are drawn by the best art studio in Japan, Studio Pablo, using photographic references.

The last three minutes or so were very well directed in the sense that without much of an overt change in what was going on, there was still a very big shift in tone, or something. You all know I'm terrible at putting this flowery stuff into words.

It's all about that music/sound.

I'm glad I've started taking a class on the differences between cultures recently, because otherwise I'd be tempted to say that the teacher way over reacted to the girl's taunt, but then again, I'm no stranger to seeing students do petty things to teachers like that, and I've seen teachers just shrug it off, and the whole misbehaving/problem student screwing with a teacher is a standard of American schoolroom settings. In Japan, though, I'm guessing that disrespecting your teacher is a much bigger deal.

Respect for authority is a much bigger deal in Japan (and Asia in general) than it is here in the U.S.

The ending song is used really well in every episode, including multiple different version of it, so look forward to that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Then they shouldn't be made. I would rather have them keep following the series if they are just going to end in the middle of nowhere regardless. Even if they wanted to wrap things up on their own terms the ending here could have been much better.
Well, there are anime that do that as well and end on a cliffhanger forever. lol

CorvoSol

So I'm just now hearing about these Studio Pablo guys but seriously, the backgrounds were so realistic I thought they were photographs and such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just have one vote! Anime of the year. Not Anime, Televised and Anime, Theatrical but not really because only three of us live in Japan, of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom