• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Grow up, there should still be basic respect.
I don't condone the hostility and I certainly wouldn't have participated in it if I'd been in that crowd, but I sure do understand it. On one side you've got Marvel knocking it out of the park with giant team movies like Civil War and little offbeat pictures like Ant Man. On the other side you've got DC with its endless bedshitting, led by the guy who managed to bork Batman vs Superman of all things.

Batman vs Superman. I mean, damn.

So they really made the relationship between Joker and Harley not abusive?
Actual spoilers:
Yes. Joker hops into a vat of chemicals to save the woman he apparently loves in spite of himself, and Harley's deepest desire, as revealed by Enchantress, is to be the picture of domestic normality with a cleaned-up Joker and their perfect little kiddies.

Beefy

Actual spoilers:
Yes. Joker hops into a vat of chemicals to save the woman he apparently loves in spite of himself, and Harley's deepest desire, as revealed by Enchantress, is to be the picture of domestic normality with a cleaned-up Joker and their perfect little kiddies.

Ergh.

Anth0ny

What a shitty thing to do. Guy probably already felt bad that his movie took such a beating. Who pays money and waits for hours in the heat just to boo a dude? Comic book fans can be pretty terrible sometimes.

giphy.gif

To be fair, as someone who has waited 12 hours in line to get into Hall H, that crowd is generally sleep deprived and ready to cheer the shit out of anything they like, or... boo something they don't like. Most people in there probably weren't there to see Snyder and weren't huge fans of MoS or BvS, hence the boos.

I don't think we need to feel bad for the multi millionaire on stage getting booed by a crowd of people who paid to watch his movie.

Ahasverus

I don't think we need to feel bad for the multi millionaire on stage getting booed by a crowd of people who paid to watch his movie.
I think we do, because there is something called human empathy, remove the "millionaire part" and change it to "person who devoted four years of his life to create a comic book movie with his own money" and you understand why people are showing decency by not being ok with that.

Majukun

after all the bad reviews and impressions i've read i decided to go watch the movie anyway and..i liked it

yes the editing ,especially in the first part was kinda frantic,jumping all over the place from scene to scene
yes for what i saw i don't really like the new joker
yes some characters didn't receive really mucb attention,but they are in the comics so they had to be in the film despite the fact that they couldn't all get a backstory

but the movie is nowhere as bad as batman vs superman ,and it's probably on par with some of the marvel movies i saw (good but not excellent basically)

Anth0ny

I think we do, because there is something called human empathy, remove the "millionaire part" and change it to "person who devoted four years of his life to create a comic book movie with his own money" and you understand why people are showing decency by not being ok with that.

leaked video of snyder back stage after the event:

giphy.gif

Kusagari

Snyder, who directed the reboots Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, confounds comic-book fans with his voluptuous, dramatic visual style, which is so unlike Marvel’s trashy, violent sarcasm. He’s a fantasist, but he’s also a moralist, and this comes through in Suicide Squad, produced by Snyder but directed by David Ayer. Ayer’s social sensibility (seen in Brad Pitt’s World War II movie, Fury, and in End of Watch, a rare cop movie with a credible sense of ethnic camaraderie) is compatible with Snyder’s. They both approach a childish genre like adults — and that’s what annoys the Marvel kids, whose bad rap on Suicide Squad has already gone viral.

You Marvel kids just don't get it.

DedValve

Banned
You Marvel kids just don't get it.

Its hilarious because this logic literally cannot work in a world where Nolans Batman is one of the most critically acclaimed if not THE most critically acclaimed comic book series.

Snyder goof'd not once, not twice but 3 times.

Zacks Synder when they booed him at Comic-Con
giphy.gif

Damn. That's not right at all. I dislike his films, but don't boo the man.

I am just baffled that the opening week of this movie was this huge.

I mean, DC and WB doesn't even need to make a good film anymore. They just need to have good trailers and have a huge marketing push and people will still see it.

At least for the opening weekend, yes.

So they really made the relationship between Joker and Harley not abusive?

Not really.
There's a pimping scene and another where the Joker straight up plows their car into some water, despite Harley noting that she can't swim, which leads to her getting caught by Batman.

Baleoce

Went to see it today. Wasn't bad. Picked up near the end for sure. Not a fan of Cara Delevignes acting. I enjoyed the soundtrack, but felt they overused the licensed music. Enjoyed it for what it was though and enjoyed the main cast for the most part. Could tell it had been re edited a little bit. Viola Davis was great. 6/10

aBarreras

I remember the part where that happened, but you couldn't even recognize the guy as far as I could see it. I thought the guy handing the phone was the shitbag who was torturing a bunch of them throughout the start, which felt weird.

There's also the part where they break in... I think for the bomb-taking-out device, which they never use at all

WHAT? people didnt pay attention to the movie at all, when Joker comes for harley after kidnapping Wallers chopper, he deactivates the fucking bomb, the fucking thing is shining through her skin, and she even says, "what? do i have a hickey?" then she walks towards the chopper and waller orders the bomb to blow up and they find out it is deactivated

maybe they didnt use the "taking out" device, but they definetely used what they stole from the facilty to help HQ escape

Are we expecting the 'Ultimate Cut' to be much better than the theatrical cut? Or the cut Joker scenes shouldn't be enough to improve it?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Because at least he is trying. I don't think he "gets" these characters at all but he isn't phoning it in. He's sincerely trying to make these films as good as he possibly can. That doesn't mean they're above criticism, just that he shouldn't be kicked while he is down. Boo-ing the dude isn't going to make him direct better films.

The booing was really unnecessary. I imagine Snyder is under huge mental stress at the moment.

He most likely would have been fired from Justice League if the production start date had been a few months later, and he probably knows it. It's hard to imagine that there haven't been some pretty drastic on-set rewrites.

Garlador

Because there are ways to express your discontent without booing a man on stage as a presentation. That's like calling a coworker out in front of everyone.

It is not the classy or conscientious thing to do.

Pretty much. It's what forums are for.

... Though I wonder what his thought process is at the moment. Stay the course, or try and shift gears.

I'd be lost if I was him.

neoflcl

So, I didn't mind the movie. Kind of liked it, honestly. I'm not up on my comic book lore, though, so any complaints people have about changing characters/events is over my head.

It was all over the place and there was some weird shots/cuts at some parts, but it was certainly watchable. Don't see where the huge reaction comes from, personally. I was expecting a lot worse from a RT% like that :'D

Pretty much. It's what forums are for.

... Though I wonder what his thought process is at the moment. Stay the course, or try and shift gears.

I'd be lost if I was him.

Its not up to him anymore, that's the point. I wouldn't be surprised if there literally wasn't 2 or 3 execs/producers hovering over his shoulder 24/7 basically telling what to do now. Affleck might even be one of them!

Well I just saw it...eh.
The plot:
There's a big hole thing in the sky, they stop it

Most of the characters are really one dimensional and they only really focused on Harley Quin and Dead Shot. I loved the first 20 minutes or so but the rest was a drag. Every scene with the Joker in felt forced and annoying, I am not a fan of this rendition of the character at all. Mostly a fun film with pacing issues but the story is really thin, a 5/10 from me.

Saw it on Friday and didn´t like it. This movie has many problems:
  • Harley was great sometimes and dull in many others: I hated that when she got surprised crying on top of the car, she wiped her tears away and put on a fake smile as if nothing happened. It wouldn´ve been much more believable for her to have a nervous breakdown and don´t give 2 shits if she´s surprised crying, go on a rampage and attack the soldiers or something...hell, that would´ve been a very nice chance for the team to bond: make them stop her, calm her down and comfort her. That scene make her whole persona look fake to me, another of many instances of the characters trying to be edgy and failing at it. When she steals the purse, her reply was really cringeworthy ("we´re the bad guys, it´s what we do"). Instead she should have made that seem natural to her and act surprised or confused at the complaints of the soldiers.

• There's a reason for her not looking too upset about that.

In the version we got, the Joker allegedly died in that explosion, but she seems not too upset about it. The reason is that in the original edit of the film, he pushed her out of the helicopter to take the escape rope for himself. That's why she looks sad, but not heartbroken - they edited the scene so he "saves" her, but the scene she acted out is her reacting to him ditching her, not to him dying.

Litan

Its not up to him anymore, that's the point. I wouldn't be surprised if there literally wasn't 2 or 3 execs/producers hovering over his shoulder 24/7 basically telling what to do now. Affleck might even be one of them!
Now the question is, will that result in us getting a better movie? Or are there too many cooks in the kitchen?

J_Viper

Now the question is, will that result in us getting a better movie? Or are there too many cooks in the kitchen?
If Affleck and Johns happen to be the dudes in charge of course correction, it will absolutely be better than anything Snyder had planned. And I say that as a Snyder fan.

I actually wonder if Johns is doing rewrites of the JL script.

Rooster12

The whole movie reeks of tryhardness: The Shadow the Hedgehog meme where he says "It´s like stealing candy from a kid, which is totally fine for me" constantly came to my mind during the film. These guys aren´t evil, save Captain Boomerang maybe.
[*]Tell, don´t show: The movie is constantly telling us that the characters are bad guys, but instead is showing us at everytime that they really aren´t. Diablo was the worst offender, he was shown as a pacifist for 99% of his screentime and only a short flashback showed him as a gangster. This is bad storytelling and I even find it insulting and simpleminded: don´t tell me these guys are the worst of the worst if I´m seeing they aren´t. Don´t make them say at every time that they´re bad while they fall short on that, make them do bad stuff instead so I can reach that conclusion on my own in a much more natural and powerful way. The movie was trying to lie in our faces at every turn like we were stupid.

These people are criminals but they're not "evil", don't expect them to go around killing and maiming everyone (other than Croc).

Even in Assault on Arkham or in the SS comics they aren't doing sadistic stuff like that either.

The Suicide Squad team on Arrow wasn't that evil either.

The movie could have portrayed them better, and used better wording instead of calling them "worst of the worst"....so that's a script problem for sure.

Studio micromanaging and extensive rewrites aren't always a disaster, but when they turn out fine its because you have execs/producers who know what they're doing.

WB execs clearly do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom