• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League - PS5/Xbox Series X|S/PC/Steam Deck - DF Tech Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

After a vast, extended period of development, Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League has finally released - and of all the Digital Foundry team, it was John Linneman with the most reservations about the game based on its pre-launch campaign. But you know what? While there are a range of caveats, he's come away having had fun with the game. The PC version though? It REALLY needs work...

00:00 Intro
01:30 After Arkham
02:14 Character Rendering
05:19 Environmental Details
10:27 PS5 vs Xbox
14:02 Performance Analysis on Consoles
16:05 The PC Version Has Issues
21:09 What About Steam Deck?
25:35 The Wrap-up

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Built on Unreal Engine 4
- Striking detail on character models and hair rendering praised. "Rendering is meticulous"
- The world is nice and colorful with good amount of verticality.
- However it feels cluttery and mid-field detail doesn't look that good (in service of getting the game to 60 FPS)
- The city is very well designed, comparisons done to Gotham Knights
- Atmospheric effects praised. Arkhan Knight still has the better water effects
- "Ultra seamless with very little load times"
- The game looks a lot more attractive in-person than watching low bitrate youtube videos

- Consoles

- Visuals:
- Series X | PS5 are virtually identical with Series X having 'slightly nicer' looking shadows
- Series S dials back things like SSR and lower resolution shadows.
- All consoles have camera-judder in cut-scenes
- Series X: average 1728p
- PS5: averages 1440p
- Series S: averages 900p
- DF thinks the game is using FSR2 with Tier 1 VRS on consoles, the image can be very noisy in fast motion
- Segments of the image look like they're rendering at quarter res
- Series S suffers the most here.

- Performance:
- All consoles hit 60 FPS target most of the time
- But all consoles have stuttering to 33 / 50 ms that VRR can't resolve
- Results in the game not feeling as smooth as it should.
- PS5 runs with a very small advantage but it's small enough to not make a difference

- Summation: PS5/SX are nearly identical, Series S runs similarly but is visually messy compared to the two.

- PC
- PC has optional RT and a shader comp step at launch
- For DF, they had to toggle the RT setting a few times before it saved
- Initially, the PC version seems to run decently, with RT reflections taking over SSR
- After tutorial area the PC version starts showing lots of issues
- Lots of frame-time stutter, shader comp stutter and traversal stutter in strong rigs
- "Extremely unstable" performance on Alex's beefy PC
- Disabling RT improves average fps but doesn't do anything for the stutters / judders
- The stutter is "so much worse" than anything on console.

Steamdeck:
- Drop all settings to low, v-sync to off and FPS cap at 60 or 90 to be playable.
- Preferable at 800p with FXAA or TAA
- Forced VRS can cause some textures to drop as low as 60p on Steamdeck
* Yes, 60p, not missing an extra digit at the end
- FSR2 up-scaling is possible but it just turns everything into soup
- Consistent play can cause long stretches of pauses as the deck can simply run out of memory

Last edited:

Bojji

VRS strikes again

UWAAxIe.jpg

acm2000

the cutscenes in this game are just incredible, makes me so sad they didnt make a proper single player game out of this

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh I've got him now.
COVERING OPEN WORLD GAME EH JOHN ?! But he said on twitter that he hates the fucking open world games as excuse for not covering hogwarts... interesting.
And wait... what's that?! Kids favorite super heroes ?! Oh thank god it's not this "fucking kids book"

Nah. I am not letting that go just yet.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh I've got him now.
COVERING OPEN WORLD GAME EH JOHN ?! But he said on twitter that he hates the fucking open world games as excuse fr not covering hogwarts... interesting.
And wait... what's that?! Kids favorite super heroes ?! Oh thank god it's not this "fucking kids book"

Actually nailed it. Hypocrit central from John here

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh I've got him now.
COVERING OPEN WORLD GAME EH JOHN ?! But he said on twitter that he hates the fucking open world games as excuse fr not covering hogwarts... interesting.

You know he only said that because he didn't want to have his Verified (TM) era account permabanned.

ungalo

Some cuts in this video look really good artistically. While everything i saw in trailers till now made me want to puke. Publishers don't really know how to sell their games.

Vergil1992

Am I the only one who can't see the difference between shadows that John says? I have looked several times and I cannot see any palpable differences, the only thing different I have seen is this:

XSX

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-02-03-202600.png

PS5:

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-02-03-202610.png

But when the camera zooms out, they look the same, it seems like the PS5 ones look sharper?

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-02-03-202738.png

The resolution difference is larger than it usually is between PS5 and XSX. 1440p vs 1718p is a wide resolution gap.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Am I the only one who can't see the difference between shadows that John says? I have looked several times and I cannot see any palpable differences, the only thing different I have seen is this:

XSX

PS5:

But when the camera zooms out, they look the same, it seems like the PS5 ones look sharper?

The resolution difference is larger than it usually is between PS5 and XSX. 1440p vs 1718p is a wide resolution gap.
John did say the Series X was a bit better and going by the image,the PS5 shadow is a bit more aliased.

Vergil1992

John did say the Series X was a bit better and going by the image,the PS5 shadow is a bit more aliased.
Yeah, but then they even out. Either way, it's a difference I have a hard time appreciating.

Could this be the game with UE4 that favors XSX the most? It's technically running at a significantly higher resolution, slightly better shadows, and only loses out on a "negligible" performance difference.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Oh I've got him now.

it's a genre he notoriously despises

Steam Deck version with FSR2 on ultra performance + high preset. Looks like a PSP game lol.

image.png
No, PSP games look much better than that.

Last edited:

adamsapple

XSX

PS5:

I think it's a case of difference in filtering, PS5's filtering makes it look sharper and you can see the stairstep aliasing, SX's is a bit more softer but less aliased.

Mr Moose

I think it's a case of difference in filtering, PS5's filtering makes it look sharper and you can see the stairstep aliasing, SX's is a bit more softer but less aliased.
It's not in the 3rd pic though, which is odd. It might actually be a slightly higher res shadow in the 3rd pic?
Did he say if it's only Series consoles that use VRS? Might be that.

MarkMe2525

It's not in the 3rd pic though, which is odd. It might actually be a slightly higher res shadow in the 3rd pic?
Did he say if it's only Series consoles that use VRS? Might be that.
The way in which describes it makes it seem like both consoles use tier 1 VRS.

To state more clearly, he stated the techniques used on consoles and did not specify that only one or the other used VRS.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

XSX

PS5:

If it's that close, probably not something to worry about. I imagine the only reason he brought it up was for transparencies sake.

Edit: my bad on the double post

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shroud was really enjoying this game and said it sucks that he enjoys it so much as tge gaming crowd and media had already decided it was shit. Plying it would ruin his viewership.

Looks like it's a mix of a decent ish gaas game with a witch hunt against it.

XSX

PS5:

That's a significant resolution difference. Disappointing result for ps5 if we're being honest

Darsxx82

Clearly a considerable advantage for XSX. A lot of similarity with those seen a time ago in Hitman 3, for example, to make a comparison.

XSX definitely has a very good streak in terms of results in its versions. Even though it is most likely the version with the least optimization time of the three.

Darsxx82

The way in which describes it makes it seem like both consoles use tier 1 VRS.

To state more clearly, he stated the techniques used on consoles and did not specify that only one or the other used VRS.

It seems that no type of VRS is being used according to a developer who worked on the game but not until its release.
Jonh confused it with VRS tier 1 understandably given how the result is very similar.
Said developer invites DF to insist Rocksteady solve that aspect that he sees as solvable.

Vergil1992

Clearly a considerable advantage for XSX. A lot of similarity with those seen a time ago in Hitman 3, for example, to make a comparison.

XSX definitely has a very good streak in terms of results in its versions. Even though it is most likely the version with the least optimization time of the three.
Yes, that explains the disappearance of several users who always come to explain the advantages of the PS5 hardware and the possible explanation for the "worst" performance of XSX.

They have been missing for a while and I think the reasons are: Suicide Squad, Tekken 8, The Finals, The Talos Principle, Prince of Persia, Alan Wake 2... lately it seems more common for XSX to be the victor, even games like AC: Mirage they also run at a higher resolution on XSX.

I think the only "recent" game that runs better on PS5 is Baldur's Gate 3.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Oh I've got him now.
COVERING OPEN WORLD GAME EH JOHN ?! But he said on twitter that he hates the fucking open world games as excuse for not covering hogwarts... interesting.

Was always a bullshit excuse. He covered Horizon Forbidden West and had no problem with the game. Hell, he covered several open-world games before Hogwarts Legacy and never voiced his disdain for them. DF had no intention of covering the game but there was so much fan backlash and so many questions on their site that they had no choice but to cover it. Excluding it would have put them in a very awkward position.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Was always a bullshit excuse. He covered Horizon Forbidden West and had no problem with the game. Hell, he covered several open-world games before Hogwarts Legacy and never voiced his disdain for them. DF had no intention of covering the game but there was so much fan backlash and so many questions on their site that they had no choice but to cover it. Excluding it would have put them in a very awkward position.
Exactly and it's clear since it took them over a month to get to it at that.

SKYF@ll

Yes, that explains the disappearance of several users who always come to explain the advantages of the PS5 hardware and the possible explanation for the "worst" performance of XSX.

They have been missing for a while and I think the reasons are: Suicide Squad, Tekken 8, The Finals, The Talos Principle, Prince of Persia, Alan Wake 2... lately it seems more common for XSX to be the victor, even games like AC: Mirage they also run at a higher resolution on XSX.

Baldur's Gate 3, Persona 3R, CyberPunk2077 (recent patch) PS5 runs better.
PS5 and XSX still have better optimized games for each.
There is no point in picking out a few games that favor one side.
You and I are comparing just a few out of a thousand games.
I present a comparison of UE5 games(+Avatar) equivalent to "recent". (including defects)
XA7gxlI.jpg

Nvzman

Oh I've got him now.

He said he hated harry potter, not open world games.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Forced VRS can cause some textures to drop as low as 60p on Steamdeck
...what does this even mean? the "p" means progressive, which come from tv image resolutions, generally in a 16:9 ratio, so 480p is 640x480....so is he saying the textures "drop as low as 80x60"? Or does he mean that's what the screen resolution turns into?
Because textures don't work in arbitrary sizes like that, they are always in base 2, so 64x64 or 512x512, not something weird like 80x60...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

If the difference between the consoles is only a “small” res bumb, then it’s not looking good for the XSX. It was overhyped as the most powerful console. To this day, it’s not showing. These differences we see are nothing compared what was hyped.

Vergil1992

Baldur's Gate 3, Persona 3R, CyberPunk2077 (recent patch) PS5 runs better.
PS5 and XSX still have better optimized games for each.
There is no point in picking out a few games that favor one side.
You and I are comparing just a few out of a thousand games.
I present a comparison of UE5 games(+Avatar) equivalent to "recent". (including defects)
XA7gxlI.jpg
This image is extremely misleading, for multiple reasons.

In "The Talos Principle 2" it says that it has a performance advantage and "worse textures" on XSX, but again, VG Tech pointed out that it was a bug, the problem was not with Xbox Series S and was limited to a single map. To say that the game has worse textures overall is misleading and wrong. 1er fail.

Fortnite is not a current game. But there is nothing to show that it has better image quality on PS5. It's not a new game either, I don't know where you're going with this.

In Avatar, he has "forgotten" to point out that shimmering is a bug, DF explained it by his erratic behavior. This has nothing to do with the performance of the game, which has better quality on XSX by having a higher average resolution.

The curious thing is that except for Tekken and Avatar, you have had to resort to games with an old base (Fortnite? Cyberpunk?) and you precisely omit more modern games like Alan Wake 2, which also works better as a benchmark.
Of course, you also leave out that Baldur's Gate 3 currently ran better on PS5 after tons of patches. You also omit problems from the PS5 version such as characters levitating above the ground or XSX having better water effects. You simply "forget" what you are not interested in for your narrative.
However, when interested in the table of course it is pointed out that "in The Finals 2 99% of the game runs at 60fps", however it does not point out when something in XSX is a simple bug, or the performance of The Talos Principle simply You put the metrics when at times the advantage of XSX can range from 10 to 20%.

That image is complete garbage. It is clearly biased. I don't know who made it nor do I care, but there is a lot of bias.

Last edited:

skyfinch

Wait a second. Since the Series X version is by far the best, and now that Xbox is 3rd party, will I be able to play the superior Series X version on PlayStation 5?

SKYF@ll

Fortnite is not a current game. But there is nothing to show that it has better image quality on PS5. It's not a new game either, I don't know where you're going with this.
We've seen Fortnite capture image(not YT video) comparisons many times.
Even if DF doesn't point it out, we can see it for ourselves.
It is more important to compare facts side by side than personal speculation or feelings.
It is also correct to evaluate benchmarks for each game engine.
sJyBjEk.jpg
5EDI2fl.jpg

YCoCg

Oh I've got him now.

He says in the video he expected to hate this but it wasn't as bad as he thought mainly due to it being like Crackdown, a game he's been on record about liking before.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Did DF get paid by Rocksteady for this video?
And the very disingenuous comparison to Gotham Knights( why it looked so blurry too in their video, didn't make sense)

Top Bottom