• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 - Pre-Order Trailer | PS5 Games (June 2, 2023)

Labolas

Yeah, the reactions to Marisa and Manon from people on the fence with the game is what I expected from indifference to outright saying they're bad new characters. Which I have to say I'm right there with you guys.

People who were already buying the game are going to say that they're amazing and awesome, when they're kinda mid at best.

Also that box cover art is fucking terrible.

kunonabi

Yeah, the reactions to Marisa and Manon from people on the fence with the game is what I expected from indifference to outright saying they're bad new characters. Which I have to say I'm right there with you guys.

People who were already buying the game are going to say that they're amazing and awesome, when they're kinda mid at best.

Also that box cover art is fucking terrible.

Marisa could be OK if it wasn't for the hair.

Manon's head is just oddly shaped but the design isn't terrible. My main gripe is that I'm not seeing any judo in her moveset so far.

Again it's this gimmicky approach that SFV started that I'm just not a fan of.

Ar¢tos

And they're still better than 99,9% of the "music" out there.
I wouldn't know, but judging from glimpses of MTV channel, I believe you. I have only heard music from the 70s/80s and classical music for the past 20 years.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
schweet, love the special effects and animations. I know some people find them distracting and there's probably a toggle for that, but they blend in way better than something like NFS Unbound
What i'm in for is all of the new content and modes, it's clear they're trying to make this the most feature packed SF in a while, which is great considering the lack of content SFV had at launch and overall just the lack of content fighting games tend to have.

[Sigma]

There sure is a lot of shit takes in this thread.
giphy.gif

Labolas

Marisa could be OK if it wasn't for the hair.

Manon's head is just oddly shaped but the design isn't terrible. My main gripe is that I'm not seeing any judo in her moveset so far.

Again it's this gimmicky approach that SFV started that I'm just not a fan of.
As far as Marisa goes, I hate her overall design. I love muscle girls, but Marisa ain't it. She looks like a man with a wig and makeup on. What's funny is that SF does have buff and intimidating female characters. Makoto and R. Mika are prime examples of this. Hell, you throw in Cammy as well.

kunonabi

As far as Marisa goes, I hate her overall design. I love muscle girls, but Marisa ain't it. She looks like a man with a wig and makeup on. What's funny is that SF does have buff and intimidating female characters. Makoto and R. Mika are prime examples of this. Hell, you throw in Cammy as well.
Yeah, she is indeed several steps too far but that's modern SF design for you. Restraint just isn't in their toolset.

MagnesD3

She has Magneto helmet hair, I dig it (and magnes)..

Saber

Gold Member

Cammy is the prime example of a girl with well defined muscles without looking like a monstruosity.

Cammy is the prime example of a girl with well defined muscles without looking like a monstruosity.
I don't really mind Marisa. Her hair is kind of silly, but I'm fine with her body looking the way it does, since it fits her moveset and fighting style. You've got plenty of monstrosities among the male characters in the series (Zangief, Hugo, Abigail, Birdie etc.), so why shouldn't the girls have some, too? They don't all have to be conventionally attractive. It's not like the game is gonna be lacking in the wank bait department anyway.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I don't really mind Marisa. Her hair is kind of silly, but I'm fine with her body looking the way it does, since it fits her moveset and fighting style. You've got plenty of monstrosities among the male characters in the series (Zangief, Hugo, Abgigail, Birdie etc.), so why shouldn't the girls have some, too? They don't all have to be conventionally attractive. It's not like the game is gonna be lacking in wank bait anyway.

I suggest you to avoid the wank low effort argument. Unless you want to ask a mod an opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Labolas

I don't really mind Marisa. Her hair is kind of silly, but I'm fine with her body looking the way it does, since it fits her moveset and fighting style. You've got plenty of monstrosities among the male characters in the series (Zangief, Hugo, Abigail, Birdie etc.), so why shouldn't the girls have some, too? They don't all have to be conventionally attractive. It's not like the game is gonna be lacking in the wank bait department anyway.
Lol, Abigail and SF5 Birdie were terrible designs as well. And I wouldn't call Makoto and R. Mika conventionally attractive either.

Lol, Abigail and SF5 Birdie were terrible designs as well. And I wouldn't call Makoto and R. Mika conventionally attractive either.
Different tastes and standards, I guess. You think R. Mika is intimidating, I think she's just a big-boobed fit girl in an utterly ridiculous outfit.

Whether Abigail and Birdie are goods designs or not, I think the concept of the "monstrosity" they represent along with other characters like Zangief, Hugo (I'm assuming you're fine with them at least) or maybe even Sagat isn't one that should be limited to the male half of the roster. Marisa's move set would look ridiculous on Cammy or Mika, just like Hugo's would look stupid on Ryu or Ken.

kunonabi

Different tastes and standards, I guess. You think R. Mika is intimidating, I think she's just a big-boobed fit girl in an utterly ridiculous outfit.

Whether Abigail and Birdie are goods designs or not, I think the concept of the "monstrosity" they represent along with other characters like Zangief, Hugo (I'm assuming you're fine with them at least) or maybe even Sagat isn't one that should be limited to the male half of the roster. Marisa's move set would look ridiculous on Cammy or Mika, just like Hugo's would look stupid on Ryu or Ken.

The issue is they're going for this more realistic art style but then they have Marisa who is like 4x as big and jacked as she could possibly be. She would still be goofier in older SF styles but it wouldn't clash as much. For example that chick in Necro's stage is pretty huge but it works there.

Labolas

I never claimed R. Mika is intimidating. I said she isn't conventionally attractive.

Alright first off I never said put Marisa's move set on Cammy or Mika. Second, how the fuck would that look ridiculous when everything else is pretty extreme when it comes to what the characters can do. Marisa's moveset from what I've seen isn't so extreme that a female character half her size can do what she does and work in the realm of SF. The fuck is this comparison? Cammy has been german suplexing and frankensteinering fools more than twice her size since SF2.

The least compelling SF trailer they could come up with. Like on purpose bad.

Perhaps a heavily modded PC version could be done, remove much of the junk new characters and dizzying "effects". Paint fighter vs Killer Instinct vs Fornite and Playstation home, no thanks.

Release a serious SF game in keeping with the incredible artwork from the 90s. Sick of the goofball shit.

The issue is they're going for this more realistic art style but then they have Marisa who is like 4x as big and jacked as she could possibly be. She would still be goofier in older SF styles but it wouldn't clash as much. For example that chick in Necro's stage is pretty huge but it works there.
I dunno, the art style doesn't really feel any more realistic to me, with the possible exception of the faces. Some of the shit people complained about in SF4 and 5 is still there (like characters fists being the size of their heads).

I never claimed R. Mika is intimidating. I said she isn't conventionally attractive.
Uhh...

What's funny is that SF does have buff and intimidating female characters. Makoto and R. Mika are prime examples of this.

Last edited:

Labolas

I dunno, the art style doesn't feel any more realistic to me, with the possible exception of the faces.

Uhh...
I said buff and intimidating. R. Mika is buff and Makoto is intimidating. Again did not specify directly which character I was talking about. You just assumed that.

Last edited:
I said buff and intimidating. R. Mika is buff and Makoto is intimidating. Again did not specify which character I was talking about.
Well, since you didn't bother to specify, you can't really blame people for thinking both qualities apply to both characters. That's the most natural interpretation of that sentence, anyway.

kunonabi

I dunno, the art style doesn't really feel any more realistic to me, with the possible exception of the faces. Some of the shit people complained about in SF4 and 5 is still there (like characters fists being the size of their heads).

The faces, the elongated characters, the bigger focus on motion capture. It's definitely there it's just offset a bit by the crazy proportions that somehow got more outlandish.

Labolas

Well, since you didn't bother to specify, you can't really blame people for thinking both qualities apply to both characters. That's the most natural interpretation of that sentence, anyway.
Eh, not my problem if you misinterpreted there. If you wanted me to clarify, I can do that, but don't act like you got me in gotcha.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
The least compelling SF trailer they could come up with. Like on purpose bad.

Perhaps a heavily modded PC version could be done, remove much of the junk new characters and dizzying "effects". Paint fighter vs Killer Instinct vs Fornite and Playstation home, no thanks.

Release a serious SF game in keeping with the incredible artwork from the 90s. Sick of the goofball shit.

I agree. I think the worst offender is this CyC mechanic. Like wtf...they look very weird, why anyone would make a character instead of playing existing ones is beyond me. Getting Sonic Forces vibes here.

Last edited:

spinfive

Banned
I was correct thinking the game would release in the summer, surely a few more beta tests can release until then? I wonder why Capcom has decided this. The new characters all look incredible

Also Capcom will have to change that box art because it is hilarious

Lethal01

What's funny is that SF does have buff and intimidating female characters. Makoto and R. Mika are prime examples of this. Hell, you throw in Cammy as well.

Gotta disagree, Cammy, Makoto and R. Mika are all strong in the same way Jamie, Luke or Rashid are strong.
Marisa is a something along the line of Zangief, Sagat or Abigail, they are just "Strong" you look at them and they are actual giants, hulks, Broly's.
I think a female character in the archetype is pretty cool.

Fake

Gotta disagree, Cammy, Makoto and R. Mika are all strong in the same way Jamie, Luke or Rashid are strong.

I guess he is talking about their kit. Makoto kit from what I remember are close combat, pushing enemies to wall... Makoto is a little kid with zero muscle, but with agressive kit, but nobody care about her body/apparence.
Cammy was so strong in SF4 that she got since the base game inumerous nerfs. Mika is by far more close the Zangief meta.
This new char looks more like replacing Abel in the same way that the new kid using spray replacing both Guy and Ibuki at the same time.

Same old Capcom. Remove old char, make a new char, but with the kit from a replaced char. Nash/Remy vibes.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I guess he is talking about their kit. Makoto kit from what I remember are close combat, pushing enemies to wall... Makoto is a little kid with zero muscle, but with agressive kit, but nobody care about her body/apparence.
Nah we are specifically talking about musculature here

Cammy is the worst terrible example of what Marisa should be, she's the literal opposite. she is defined, but she is also meant to be agile and light, that's the opposite of something like Sagat or Broly that Marisa is meant to be with.

The whole point of her is that she's a giant in height and weight, That you see her and immediately think she's a monster that hits like a truck, I mean the first thing you see of her is her fighting a lion.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Cammy is the worst terrible example of what Marisa should be, she's the literal opposite. she is defined, but she is also meant to be agile and light, that's the opposite of something like Sagat or Broly that Marisa is meant to be with.

The whole point of her is that she's a giant in height and weight, That you see her and immediately think she's a monster that hits like a truck, I mean the first thing you see of her is her fighting a lion.

The whole starting point is that she should be a monster because there are males who are monsters blahblahblah. I don't see a lion, I see a thing where you could swap a male head and it wouldn't make any difference.

She doesn't look like anything interesting even at closer look. Zangief is a muscle machine, but he is russian wrestler and his main thing is throws. Sagat is another one, but his focus are also on fast multi-hit attacks and some ranged attacks, while use Muai Thai style. None of them actually relies on strong punches or kicks just because they are "all muscles". I could continue with T-hawk or even Hugo, but all of them are throw focused characters.
Even the main character of SF6 looks like meat with no substance, as if it just throw punches here and there despite having a ranged attack.

Last edited:

Lethal01

The whole starting point is that she should be a monster because there are males who are monsters blahblahblah. I don't see a lion, I see a thing where you could swap a male head and it wouldn't make any difference.
You can put a male head on Kimberly with no issue, I don't see your point.

The starting point is that she's a giant spartan gladiator who's style is based on ancient greek martial arts. The point isn't that we need a female in the giant archetype, the point is that she is supposed to be a giant and point to cammy of all people as what she would look like is crazy.

And you're right that we don't really have a giant that actually uses strong, heavy punches and kicks on the roster, it's good that marisa is here to deliver that.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
And you're right that we don't really have a giant that actually uses strong, heavy punches and kicks on the roster, it's good that marisa is here to deliver that.

Incredibly boring imo. If thats your thing, good for you then.

Labolas

You can put a male head on Kimberly with no issue, I don't see your point.

The starting point is that she's a giant spartan gladiator who's style is based on ancient greek martial arts. The point isn't that we need a female in the giant archetype, the point is that she is supposed to be a giant and point to cammy of all people as what she would look like is crazy.

Wut? You can put a male head on Kimberly and it would make difference. First, Kimberly has a very feminine body and feminine mannerisms, so it would actually look fucking weird as hell if someone did that. Second, we already have male counterparts to her and it's Guy and Zeku.

I think you completely missed the point of bring up Cammy. In terms of musculature and fitness for a female, Cammy is the ideal body type of that. Obviously, if you want a female to look like a tank, you wouldn't want her to look like Cammy. Problem is that Capcom leaned in too hard with this idea and fuck it up.

There are examples of female characters that fit this idea but still female looking.
00da9423bf765ceecaee4c322764078a.jpg

mitsuko-bloodyroar-white.jpg
(Yeah, I know she isn't the prettiest but still looks female.)
iu

begotten

If you told me no one in this thread put more than 50 hours into the last 2 Street Fighter games I would believe it.

MrMephistoX

Adored 4, Didn't care for 5, looking to love 6. Can't say I'm really feeling it with any of these new characters, and I still don't like Luke being pitched as the face of SF6. But the gameplay looks like, and some of my favorites are still present. Can't wait!
Me too USFIV is peak SF for me I recognize V is probably a better game but I just find the gameplay to be boring and the graphics style uninteresting. On paper V should be amazing with all of the nostalgia stages but I just never have got into it and I was obsessed with every iteration of 4 and still play it occasionally. Fingers crossed 6 brings back the fun. I just would rather they drop the whole roster at once instead of DLC and make it F2P with the option to buy all or just the rotating characters.

Last edited:

KO7

I’m confused with the different tiers of this game’s purchase prices:

Are these 4 characters available Day 1 and the “Season 1 Pass” is for as-yet-unannounced characters? Or is the “Season 1 Pass” required for these 4 characters?

[Sigma]

I’m confused with the different tiers of this game’s purchase prices:

Are these 4 characters available Day 1 and the “Season 1 Pass” is for as-yet-unannounced characters? Or is the “Season 1 Pass” required for these 4 characters?
The 4 characters announced in the op are day 1. No season pass required. The season 1 pass characters have already been leaked too based on them being missing from the base roster. They are Akuma, Ed, Rashid and A.K.I.

Last edited:
Reactions: KO7

KO7

The 4 characters announced in the op are day 1. No season pass required. The season 1 pass characters have already been leaked too based on them being missing from the base roster. They are Akuma, Ed, Rashid and A.K.I.
Thanks! Guess I’ll pony-up for the Deluxe edition. Not going to stretch to the Ultimate version just for costumes and colours.

Lethal01

There are examples of female characters that fit this idea but still female looking.
00da9423bf765ceecaee4c322764078a.jpg

mitsuko-bloodyroar-white.jpg
(Yeah, I know she isn't the prettiest but still looks female.)
iu

None of them look imposing enough for this archetype imo, but I do love me some Noi. I'm very happy that they didn't put looking super feminine as a priority over being ridiculously strong looking which is the important part of the character.

You are right that there are characters that look very strong while being more feminine, I think a character focuses more on being a hulk over that is cool. Others seem to love her too so I definitely wouldn't call her a fuck up.

Maybe if they had pushed her to something more like Abigail I would think different.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Just fyi this game releases in playstation, Xbox, and pc, worth noting that it is also cross gen so ps4 also supported.

Edit. No xb one version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom