• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray |OT| Cyberpussy 2077

Fredrik

It’s so slow, I fell asleep for a bit. Going through the appartments searching for notebooks right now. Looks great but I can’t say I’m having fun yet.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Elios83

I've played it a bit, I've just met the little robot B-12.
So far it's super cool and the atmosphere and graphics are top notch.
Let's see how the gameplay develops and the story unfolds.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Saw the first hour of gameplay and then watched the ending. Yup, its an indie game from the 2010’s.

Topher

Gold Member
There is an option to turn button prompts off, i turn it off right away and i don't think that there are any reason to keep that on.
That doesn't sound good.

Nah, it is fine. Karppuuna Karppuuna is absolutely correct about turning off the prompts. So far I'm enjoying it. Trying to get the trophy for outrunning all the little bug looking things in one level, but damn that is tricky. Thankfully I can reload the checkpoint and try again if they catch me. I've tried about 10 times and no luck so far.

I haven't had much time with it yet, but I'm really enjoying it. At first I was put off by the fact that I couldn't simply jump whenever I wanted to, but I managed to get over that pretty quickly as I continued to play. I've been wanting a new fairly "chill" game to play, and this is fitting the bill nicely.

Topher

Gold Member
Saw the first hour of gameplay and then watched the ending. Yup, its an indie game from the 2010’s.

Thorough review. Thanks.

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

apowhungo

That doesn't sound good.
this is fair criticism, wasn't quite sure what felt a little off but its that. not a game breaker for me though its more puzzler than platformer really.
It's called modern game design. I hate it but hey you get to play as a cat so nothing else matters.
I thought you were debating yourself here. Fell in love with the dedicated meow button on first tap and I'm a dog person.
you sound fun at parties
Nah, it is fine. Karppuuna Karppuuna is absolutely correct about turning off the prompts. So far I'm enjoying it. Trying to get the trophy for outrunning all the little bug looking things in one level, but damn that is tricky.
Damn I am for sure taking that tip with the prompts, will help with first issue mentioned. Also replayed that section thinking zig zagging would do it in two tries but nope gonna be replaying that for awhile but what a freakin sequence.

Esppiral

After the latest output of the Studio it has become one of my favorites developers, the sense of discovery of their games is unmatched and they hook me to the tv for hours and hours.

bender

What time is it?
I love how the games nails the nature of a cat. Within the first 5 minutes my three friends abandoned me, I broke a fan, knocked over seven or eight paint cans for no reason and now I'm fucking up some strangers rug. #CatsAreAssholes

edit: Just killed a robot.

Last edited:

Elios83

Game is really great, can't stop playing it.
Once you get to the city it's full of free exploration, there are different puzzles and things you have to figure out, there are also many funny interactions based on typical cats actions. And the atmosphere...omg an indie game that looks more next gen than many games made by huge publishers :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👀
Congrats to the developers. After Sifu this is the second amazing indie game this year.

Last edited:
2hrs and 30 minutes in so far and it's quite good. The complaints I've seen about the jumping are misguided in my opinion. This game isn't a platformer, it's not about judging distances or timing leaps (save for some mild & rare examples on the timing front), it's an adventure game so the focus is primarily on exploration, character interaction and puzzles. The feline like traversal is there to give the aesthetic quality of being a cat, as well as giving the player numerous non-linear ways to explore the environment, and to that effect it works great. I think some people just got the wrong impression on what kind of game this was.

I'm up to the part called "Slums pt.2" and just got the transceiver working. So the game briefly mixed up the formula of relaxed exploration with some chase sequences. Action/Stealth set pieces in an adventure game are typically shit but these were good enough to be a welcome change of pace. For one they don't overstay their welcome, and for another there's an explicit "right way" to handle most of them so they basically function as puzzles with a time pressure.

I'm glad to be back at exploring the slums, though. How believably lived in/run down Stray's walled city comes across is its greatest strength IMO. Every inch of it is brimming with detail, it feels like a real place and that's what makes it so fun to run around in. The smiley faced robots are decent company too.

TheMan

The only game my cat has ever acknowledged. Played 15 minutes so far on ps5 and I’m not impressed with graphics and the gameplay hasn’t even tried to grab me.

I’ll give it more time though, premise is intriguing

bender

What time is it?
Rolled credits at about five hours. There are points of no return throughout the game so you can miss memories if you aren't careful and once I missed one memory, I just powered through the third section. I was pretty impressed by the visuals but the game play is merely serviceable.

MaKTaiL

Nah, it is fine. Karppuuna Karppuuna is absolutely correct about turning off the prompts. So far I'm enjoying it. Trying to get the trophy for outrunning all the little bug looking things in one level, but damn that is tricky. Thankfully I can reload the checkpoint and try again if they catch me. I've tried about 10 times and no luck so far.
Go on a zig zag while running and you should be able to avoid them. Takes a few tries but you'll do it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
2hrs and 30 minutes in so far and it's quite good. The complaints I've seen about the jumping are misguided in my opinion. This game isn't a platformer, it's not about judging distances or timing leaps (save for some mild & rare examples on the timing front), it's an adventure game so the focus is primarily on exploration, character interaction and puzzles. The feline like traversal is there to give the aesthetic quality of being a cat, as well as giving the player numerous non-linear ways to explore the environment, and to that effect it works great. I think some people just got the wrong impression on what kind of game this was.

Well, that was the plan at the start of development but in testing players kept messing up the distances and jumps that the dev had to change it. I’m not sure where I have heard this. Possibly FPS podcast but i’m not sure.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

thatJohann

I'm about 75% thru the game and so far it's been spectacular. The visuals, especially the art direction, and the soundtrack are so on point it's insane. I'm constantly stopping the cat to take in all the details and the sound and spin the camera and just marvel at it. Haven't done that in a game in a long time.

It's already on my top 10 games of all time list. 10/10 so far for me.

Well, that was the plan at the start of development but in testing players kept messing up the distances and jumps that the dev had to change it. I’m not sure where I have heard this. Possibly FPS podcast but i’m not sure.
There's an interview where they touch on this, but that's just the point. Jumping challenge wasn't the aim so it was scrapped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Made it to the sewers last night before I logged. Could not put it down, and that darn cat is adorable. Such a charming little game, and the unfolding mystery in the story does have my interest.

The art direction is fantastic. On a good TV set, you don't need HDR, since everything is still bright and rich, but man this game would be another level visually with it.

Top Bottom