• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

This game has a Hint Prompt, instead of the protagonist or his sidekick just blurting out a hint or a solution if the player doesn’t figure out the puzzle in 15 seconds.

How fucking hard was that? Western Devs need to wake up.

Ruined Ragnarok for me!! Fuck me it was/is so bad in that game. Which is such a shame because it's a great game but it doesn't let you solve ANYTHING on your own ..crazy fucking design decision that I'm surprised didn't get more backlash. Who wants a game treating us like we're idiots? That's what Ragnarok did for the entirety of the game!

bender

What time is it?
Played a bunch today and beat the first boss in Matrix 11. I think I've done all of the side content possible at this point and I'm impressed with just how much content and variety there is. I really enjoyed the section of the game where you can only use your ranged weapons as the shooting felt snappy and the enemies popped lick ticks when you kill them. I'm also impressed by the overall level design and how well things are hidden . The weakest part of the game is the traversal puzzles as the controls often feel inconsistent which can lead to frustration. I also think the game is a tad easy but since I've been doing everything, I have a ton of upgrades, so much so that I'd almost run out of places to put points into before an additional tree unlocked.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played a bunch today and beat the first boss in Matrix 11. I think I've done all of the side content possible at this point and I'm impressed with just how much content and variety there is. I really enjoyed the section of the game where you can only use your ranged weapons as the shooting felt snappy and the enemies popped lick ticks when you kill them. I'm also impressed by the overall level design and how well things are hidden . The weakest part of the game is the traversal puzzles as the controls often feel inconsistent which can lead to frustration. I also think the game is a tad easy but since I've been doing everything, I have a ton of upgrades, so much so that I'd almost run out of places to put points into before an additional tree unlocked.
Maybe it will matter later in the game and NG+, but so far the item that lets you reset your skills is pointless. You get so many points and so frequently that I can't not see myself having everything unlocked by the end.

I wish there was more emphasis on builds and how you distribute your points, but maybe that delves too far into RPG territory.

bender

What time is it?
Despite some people say, this game is not trying be “Souls-game” it’s proper action game.

Not every game needs to be about “builds”.

It takes a bunch of inspiration from the Souls games as well as Nier, Uncharted, Kojipro, etc., but the without a stamina or poise system, the combat has its' own feel.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It takes a bunch of inspiration from the Souls games as well as Nier, Uncharted, Kojipro, etc., but the without a stamina or poise system, the combat has its' own feel.
The only thing I see inspiration from Souls games is the rest area that will also respawn enemies and that’s it.

Filben

Estus Flask vibe
I love this mechanic and there's a reason that From Software stuck to it since Dark Souls 1 except for Bloodborne. It's simple yet so genious. Guaranteed health items for exploration but they must sufice until you reach the next rest/camp/bonfire whatever; how long you can travel/fight/explore is limited by these items or your skill or a combination of them but sooner or later you will need to rest.

What makes Stellar Blade a lot easier are the cheap and abundant additional health items you can carry. So if your "Estus" isn't enough you can always prolong your survivability while exploring or in boss fights with additional items. It feels great and makes the game a little bit more relaxed than Souls games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The healing mechanic has a very Estus Flask vibe and the functions of your camp outside of respawning the world also have similarities to bonfires.
In NieR Automata you had mechanic when you die you have to retrieve your dead body but if you die before you do that you lose all your ability chips. Does that make NieR Automata “Souls-like”? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
All I can say is praise the sacred symbols...

Finally progressed the main story, spent something like 7 hours in the Wasteland, every time I thought I had it covered I found yet a new path with treasures/secrets but I think I've got it all now, the game is so fucking good.

Zheph

It saddens me (not really but it's kinda typical) that most of the chatter, external to this thread, around this game is what it is. Because, honestly this is a top tier action game and it really deserves some praise and discourse around it's gameplay. I'm absolutely loving it.
Minorities are really vocal but I think most people are simply enjoying the game now

Yep I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I dislike censorship but honestly I'm just too busy enjoying it to care right now. Some of the back and forward is just ridiculous.

Reactions: Isa

SkylineRKR

This game is ridiculously good. It opens up after a very good first stage, and just when fatigue kicks in the game funnels you again. The linear stages are very well done, with secret paths, puzzles and still numerous ways to dispose of foes.

I feel like you are in total control. You can do stealth ambushes, AoE strikes, defend, evade, ranged or straight up brawling. After a parry you can do numerous reprisals as well, typically one focuses on single targets and another strikes multiple. It depends on the situation you're in. Triangle is generally for crowd control, like Beta triangle or parry hold triangle. Holding Triangle to a locked on enemy is also a gap closer. Offensive and defensive approaches both work.

Cutscenes are never too long, and bosses are evenly spread out so far.

I beat the stalker boss from the demo boss mode earlier. And he didn't stood a chance at all. Because of me getting better and understanding the mechanics as I play.

Stellar Blade is obviously one of the best new IP of this generation, next to Returnal.

Markio128

I stumbled upon an area in the wastelands with a ton of enemies in a fairly small area and they kicked my arse. I’ll give that a miss for now and come back once I’ve upgraded a bit more. When there are 4-5 enemies having a pop at once, it’s tough to keep track.

Being an open area, I started to appreciate the speed at which EVE can run - another plus in my book - giving SB an arcade game like vibe.

Ruined Ragnarok for me!! Fuck me it was/is so bad in that game. Which is such a shame because it's a great game but it doesn't let you solve ANYTHING on your own ..crazy fucking design decision that I'm surprised didn't get more backlash. Who wants a game treating us like we're idiots? That's what Ragnarok did for the entirety of the game!
I will never forget the time Mimir gave me the answer to a puzzle as I was landing the boat onto the shore. The game didn't even give me the chance to see the puzzle before providing the solution.

Despite some people say, this game is not trying be “Souls-game” it’s proper action game.

Not every game needs to be about “builds”.
This game is reminiscent of Scarlet Nexus for me.

SkylineRKR

I stumbled upon an area in the wastelands with a ton of enemies in a fairly small area and they kicked my arse. I’ll give that a miss for now and come back once I’ve upgraded a bit more. When there are 4-5 enemies having a pop at once, it’s tough to keep track.

Being an open area, I started to appreciate the speed at which EVE can run - another plus in my book - giving SB an arcade game like vibe.

Crowds are always difficult, but in this area you can get out of fights generally without too much of a hassle.

However, you likely do have or can unlock the upper Beta skill, Slash. Charge this up when you are swarmed, it ohko's all spiders and the range is surprisingly big. There are also items which I don't use much, but they can down enemies around you as well.

J3nga

Is there higher difficulty level after beating the game? I believe there is but a bit unfortunate that it is locked as to me it's too easy on normal, all bosses go down on first try without breaking the sweat. I'm in matrix 11, and fought 2 bosses there.

This game is ridiculously good. It opens up after a very good first stage, and just when fatigue kicks in the game funnels you again. The linear stages are very well done, with secret paths, puzzles and still numerous ways to dispose of foes.

I feel like you are in total control. You can do stealth ambushes, AoE strikes, defend, evade, ranged or straight up brawling. After a parry you can do numerous reprisals as well, typically one focuses on single targets and another strikes multiple. It depends on the situation you're in. Triangle is generally for crowd control, like Beta triangle or parry hold triangle. Holding Triangle to a locked on enemy is also a gap closer. Offensive and defensive approaches both work.

Cutscenes are never too long, and bosses are evenly spread out so far.

I beat the stalker boss from the demo boss mode earlier. And he didn't stood a chance at all. Because of me getting better and understanding the mechanics as I play.

Stellar Blade is obviously one of the best new IP of this generation, next to Returnal.
Agree with all of this. Every input is meaningful and so every frame of animation feels under your control. It's a genuinely great game. I really want to play it at a higher difficulty.

Markio128

Not much has been said about the few cheeky jump scares, even in the first level (I even fell for it having already played the demo). I’m currently playing through the mission with only the gun and there is a touch of survival horror about it. It’s a cool change of pace.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I made it to the wasteland and I think I’m about done with it.

Does it make any drastic leap from here if I stick it out?

-Combat is dull and piss easy. I just don’t have fun with it.
-Story is non existent. None of the characters interest me.
-I’m over developers making games with an apocalyptic calamity happened to create empty open worlds so they don’t have to flush them out. The areas here are open, and reward exploration but just feel dull. I know it’s meant to be empty for its atmospheric approach of loneliness but it’s still dull….

Color me surprised. My original thought was this game would be meh, then I got caught up in all the controversy wanting to support the dev, then I play the game and it is in fact meh.

I made it to the wasteland and I think I’m about done with it.

Does it make any drastic leap from here if I stick it out?

-Combat is dull and piss easy. I just don’t have fun with it.
-Story is non existent. None of the characters interest me.
-I’m over developers making games with an apocalyptic calamity happened to create empty open worlds so they don’t have to flush them out. The areas here are open, and reward exploration but just feel dull. I know it’s meant to be empty for its atmospheric approach of loneliness but it’s still dull….

Color me surprised. My original thought was this game would be meh, then I got caught up in all the controversy wanting to support the dev, then I play the game and it is in fact meh.
This is exactly how I feel about Neir. Stellar Blade has way more interesting combat in my eyes.

Went back to Eidos 7 to do some new sidequests that opened up and discovered a bunch of stuff I missed on my first run through despite actively exploring everywhere I go. And contrary to my previous post I *didn't* get everything in the Wasteland, place is massive with myriad secrets, I *think* I've got it all now lol.

I said it before but it bears repeating, if SB was released even 5 years ago it would have been heralded as an instant classic, a new IP to invigorate the gaming industry just as Devil May Cry and Bayonetta before it. This was an incredible get for PlayStation and they'd do well to strengthen their relationship with Shift Up looking to the future.

Oh and I love how Altess Levoire turned the game into Dead Space, so good lol. I'm finally ready to move on to the next area, did every possible sidequest and unlocked every possible outfit through NPC affinity. Looking at the Data Bank I've still only fought *one* Alpha Naytiba after 18 hours clocked, the only way this is a 30 hour game is if you're rushing through the main story and ignoring half the game in the process, Shift Up delivered something real *meaty* 🥳

Doomtrain

Piggybacking on the above post, can you miss anything permanently in this game, or can you always go back to previous areas?

• Thoughtful

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yea I was surprised by how well Altess Levoire played out. At first I was like “wtf this is not going to end well” and it was a lot of fun.

My instincts told me “don’t take me underground” and they did a decent job. This is becoming one of my favorites this year and one of the better action games in years. Anyone who likes DMC and Ninja Gaiden will enjoy this if you ask me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
fEnUyQg.jpeg

I've had it since Thursday.

Para que se les quite a los woke 😎

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Is there higher difficulty level after beating the game? I believe there is but a bit unfortunate that it is locked as to me it's too easy on normal, all bosses go down on first try without breaking the sweat. I'm in matrix 11, and fought 2 bosses there.
Hard mode gets enabled after the first playthrough.

Personally I'm not super skilled at these games, so I'm happy that I'm able to kill bosses on first or second attempt without having to repeat the same boss like 30 times. I will agree though they should offer all difficulty levels from the start.

Top Bottom