• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN apologizes to Stellar Blade and ShiftUp

Buggy Loop

They think/feel Bayonetta represents the LGBTQIA+ community in some weird way so she gets a pass.

0OQRbRS.jpg

Because trans peoples exude confidence, in tune with their sexuality and biological body. Those peoples whom if you misgender even by mistake will suck their thumb in a fetal position for hours in the shower.

animal rights GIF

Last edited:
Over 10 years ago, I thought writing for a gaming website was the coolest thing ever. But would not stoop this low to get a job.

So what was the non-literal translation?
I actually stopped doing freelance gaming coverage because of an editor that said I had to grade certain games positively because of agreements he made.
Needless to say after he approved the articles, I swapped them with honest ones which went online.

Since I wasn't on the payroll and had no contract which stated what I could or could not do, I went 100% anarchistic on his ass.

Man, the shitstorm that ensued between him and the distributors was epic!!

I did it as a hobby so nothing was lost. Still one of my proudest moments and he didnt get the freebies he tried to get with said agreement (I think it was an Xbox and a handfull of games before releasedate).

Last edited:
The studio should've received a refund on all the ads they paid IGN for. Imagine giving someone money and they publicly take a dump on you in return.
You know, I think your comment highlights the main issue with modern video game "journalism": how can they be objective, when they're technically getting paid by the people making the products they're reviewing?

Zheph

0OQRbRS.jpg

Because trans peoples exude confidence, in tune with their sexuality and biological body. Those peoples whom if you misgender even by mistake will suck their thumb in a fetal position for hours in the shower.

animal rights GIF
this poster is really insane, the thread is so bad even tho many are just trying to talk about gameplay/story

violence

That post by lightwrong is hilarious.

Bayonetta is popular with LGBTQIA+- people because she "uses some BDSM kind of attacks against enemies inspired by Christian mythology"?!

So all Eve has to do is swing a whip around a bit and hit an angel on the ass with it, and we're good! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Wasn’t there a verge writer that liked Bayonetta 3 till the ending because it confirmed she was straight?

NBGlojn.jpg

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
You know, I think your comment highlights the main issue with modern video game "journalism": how can they be objective, when they're technically getting paid by the people making the products they're reviewing?
It’s a deeply influenced industry. How are you going to review game when a publisher could choose to blacklist for a bad review?

Drell

That post by lightwrong is hilarious.

Bayonetta is popular with LGBTQIA+- people because she "uses some BDSM kind of attacks against enemies inspired by Christian mythology"?!

So all Eve has to do is swing a whip around a bit and hit an angel on the ass with it, and we're good! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
If I was gay, trans or anything (refuse to talk about lgbtqia+ or "community" because I see people as individuals) I'd be ashamed to read what that person posted. I don't know what they are themselves (probably not a "cishet" white male) but they immediatly associate any non-straight people with weird sexual practices.

Immagine being a teenager who just discovered you are gay, seeking people to talk about this on the internet and encountering these lunatics telling you you should probably go to see some BDSM because you know, that's what any non-straight people like...

deeptech

Truly absurd argument, look silly, even IF women didn't look like that, and one could argue this ofc. But even IF, why not create a fictional character that does, like in Stellar Blade or classic Tomb Raider or whatever.
I mean, dragons don't exist, should we not create stories and art involving dragons? Correct me if I'm off the point here, please. In the end only insecure childish person would be against things like that, as if they're afraid the game character will be more attractive than them, so they scream "muh realism" etc.

Drell

Truly absurd argument, look silly, even IF women didn't look like that, and one could argue this ofc. But even IF, why not create a fictional character that does, like in Stellar Blade or classic Tomb Raider or whatever.
I mean, dragons don't exist, should we not create stories and art involving dragons? Correct me if I'm off the point here, please. In the end only insecure childish person would be against things like that, as if they're afraid the game character will be more attractive than them, so they scream "muh realism" etc.
These people are the same who used the argument that Ariel could be black because mermaids don't exist while the original tale depicted her as white. Remember it's always about double standards.

deeptech

These people are the same who used the argument that Ariel could be black because mermaids don't exist while the original tale depicted her as white. Remember it's always about double standards.
What I always found weird is the seemingly entitled demand to be represented by someone else, like if you feel others/world should know about you or acknowledge you, then do something yourself, why ask someone else to do it, lazy and spineless isn't it? It's really shitty that an artist of all people has to watch for any toes, lest he steps on some and things go nuclear. No artist should be demanded of, EVER. Art ceases to be art when it's not a free expression. Again, I think taking oneself too seriously should be questioned, as I think it only makes things worse for you.

Filben

I actually stopped doing freelance gaming coverage because of an editor that said I had to grade certain games positively because of agreements he made.
Needless to say after he approved the articles, I swapped them with honest ones which went online.
I had no editor when I was writing freelance. One time I forgot to tell our layout guy the final score (we used images, no digits/text for that, so it wasn't in my draft I sent to layout and our lector) and he put in our best score image while I was kind of trashing the game. After I sent proof to the publisher they were glad for the "positive text and score" and were satisfied, which tells me they didn't even look at the text but only the final scoring. Next freebies secured without buttering them up and shady agreements!

AJUMP23

Journalism now tries to create a narrative not just report on them. If they create the proper viewpoint they control the industry.

I had no editor when I was writing freelance. One time I forgot to tell our layout guy the final score (we used images, no digits/text for that, so it wasn't in my draft I sent to layout and our lector) and he put in our best score image while I was kind of trashing the game. After I sent proof to the publisher they were glad for the "positive text and score" and were satisfied, which tells me they didn't even look at the text but only the final scoring. Next freebies secured without buttering them up and shady agreements!
We are a select few who actually are honest. Guess I can say we're leagues above modern day Sewage Journalists.

Which is not a good thing.

You just know that they will retcon the narrative sorrounding the game once it becomes successful. Basically, they will claim that they *always* liked Eve.
It is going to happen.
That's why it's funny that IGN France specifically mentioned Bayonetta and 2B, because both characters were heavily opposed by progressives. Just look up Sarkeesian's lengthy video about how misogynistic Bayonetta's design was. For 2B, I remember the Giant Bombcast GotY discussions where Abby Russell got offended about Nier's upskirt achievement. There's many more examples out there though.

They slowly shifted the narrative when they realized they couldn't keep it up in the face of overwhelming praise for these characters. Then suddenly these characters became 'icons' for 'women empowerment' or whatever other buzzwords they connected to 'em. Revisionism is what it really is. If Stellar Blade ends up popular enough, they will do it again, just like you said.

You pay them with views/attention. I avoid like 99% of them. Getting the gist from GAF is enough. We don't need to make Garbage rich or successful.

Saber

Gold Member
I mean yeah they used a real model for the animations, but we CAN clearly see how Eves proportions differ from the model.
I'd gladly spend the day with either one, and I look forward to playing but it IS artistically enhanced.

Your point? Its based on a model, its not a made up character from wet dreams.

violence

That's why it's funny that IGN France specifically mentioned Bayonetta and 2B, because both characters were heavily opposed by progressives. Just look up Sarkeesian's lengthy video about how misogynistic Bayonetta's design was. For 2B, I remember the Giant Bombcast GotY discussions where Abby Russell got offended about Nier's upskirt achievement. There's many more examples out there though.

They slowly shifted the narrative when they realized they couldn't keep it up in the face of overwhelming praise for these characters. Then suddenly these characters became 'icons' for 'women empowerment' or whatever other buzzwords they connected to 'em. Revisionism is what it really is. If Stellar Blade ends up popular enough, they will do it again, just like you said.
Yeah, that narrative never caught on. “Misogynistic” is a buzz word they default to all the time.

Mari Shimazaki, a female, designed Bayonetta. Maybe she’s a “self hating female”? They never explain it, they just throw it in.

Sarkeesian's YouTube channel always had a small amount of subscribers even with her media push. I have some sympathy for Anita now. She’s a fairly attractive girl whose mind was programmed by the failed women that teach gender studies courses. Now she’s throwing 40th birthday party weddings where she doesn’t get married. I feel terrible for her.

Last edited:

platina

Lemme guess, they had to redact due to backlash they probably didn’t expect 😌 just like bud light and Harry Potter, times are finally starting to change. People don’t give two shits anymore.

Embarrassing “””journalism””” stick to in depth game interviews like you used to do, I suppose doing this is easier though right?

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a new and different landscape than it was when they played their outrage reindeer games in the 2010s. The audience ain't putting up with this shit and more and more game creators are pushing back.

I am kind of loving the slow, whimpering death of Gaming Journalism as it has become in the last 15 years.

Let's roll the dice and hope for the best for what comes next. Few things are worse than the status quo now.

Last edited:
I am actually surprised (in a good way) that they publicly apologized for it. No doubt just due to pressure from it getting a lot of exposure, but still, I have a bit of respect that they did it. Just a year ago they'd have probably doubled down and cried "death threats!" and called all of the readers chuds if they didn't agree. Is this progress?

Yea that's what I was thinking also. Pretty surprised they apologized. Maybe things are starting to swing back the other way a bit.

Top Bottom