• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

Funniest most stupid thing so far is the reviews: “The over sexualized main character ruins the story, here she is in a bunny outfit, how should we take this seriously in the story?”

Like, the guy put the costume on himself, it’s not like it’s mandatory, it was his choice and then he starts complaining because of his own choice, those wokesters are beyond lost.

Or the one where they show her going down a ladder with the camera placed below her but. Complaining about that shit while you actually have to do effort to get the camera like that. It’s not the default camera when sliding down.

So sick of those people omg… they’re little horndogs and because they are ashamed of their own behavior they have to complain about it to the rest of the world while nothing they show is default in the game itself 🥹
Hey, gays don't like sexualized women. Of course they would complain about it. They have already done it in the previous centuries as well, when they were bishops at the catholic church. They just don't like women being sexualized and they try to ban it for the straight men as well.
That's what they always did and still do.

Bkdk

I see the original outfits online with simplified Chinese, so looks like not even China censored the game yet there is problem in the west, seems like the western countries are truly going to blow up their own culture yet they will support Ukraine to fight for “democracy”! 😂😂😂

Three

It's kinda funny/interesting to me that the usual gaffers that are firmly on the side of, we'll say, certain progressive opinions, suddenly have a lot of interest in and support for the developer's supposed vision where it selectively censors a handful of costumes. I don't remember seeing these posters discussing or being interested/excited for Stellar Blade until this censorship controversy popped up.

Just kinda funny, don't you think?
Which gaffers are those? I've been on gaf throughout the announcement to release and I dont know who you're referring to here. Just call them out if you think so. Everybody I see here was always interested in Stellar blade. If anything I see a bunch of people who had no interest suddenly outraged about a game they had no interest in to begin with.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean to be fair you did enter the controversy thread. That's what's on the table for this one.
I feel like this game is cursed to be remembered for its controversy rather than actual game itself…..why? Because it has attractive main character, as if this the first time we had that in asians games.

Pejo

Which gaffers are those? I've been on gaff throughout the announcement to release and I dont know who you're referring to here. Just call them out if you think so. Everybody I see here was always interested in Stellar blade. If anything I see a bunch of people who had no interest suddenly outraged about a game they had no interest in to begin with.
I don't think I've ever seen you post until this thread nor was I talking about you, but clearly you have a chip on your shoulder about something. Regardless, I'm not into naming and shaming. Just pointing out something that I noticed.
I feel like this game is cursed to be remembered for its controversy rather than actual game itself…..why? Because it has attractive main character, as if this the first time we had that in asians games.
All they had to do was not fuck it up. They were handed a "win" after the past few years of reveals and previews, then they specifically post on how the game is un-censored in all region and build hype, then day 1 patch in a bunch of censorship. It's a betrayal of trust at best and some insidious bullshit at worst. People always get me on the wrong part of this censorship angle. It's not the specifics of WHAT was censored, it's that it happened to begin with.

Senhua

I see the original outfits online with simplified Chinese, so looks like not even China censored the game yet there is problem in the west, seems like the western countries are truly going to blow up their own culture yet they will support Ukraine to fight for “democracy”! 😂😂😂
I'm live in China. While I not agree with all of our government doing (believe or not it's okay to criticize gov here as long as valid), it's much better than the west for how should "democracy" country doing than countries who all claimed as the the most democratic in the world.

Just open steam international and you will see TONS of sexy game (much more exposed than Japan) from China. Although our gov may be prudent for entertainment censorship domestically, they NEVER dictate that to another as opposed certain country who always yell freedom while actually doing the opposite one

Like this game is the clear example : Korean made game gone global and adopt some american culture in order to not upset certain group.

Three

I don't think I've ever seen you post until this thread nor was I talking about you, but clearly you have a chip on your shoulder about something. Regardless, I'm not into naming and shaming. Just pointing out something that I noticed.
You've not seen me post until this thread? Surprising. I didn’t say you were referring to me, I'm asking who you're referring to exactly because the people I see in this thread were interested before this latest controversy. If anything I see people who weren't interested all of a sudden be really outraged.

Senhua

To be fair if they don't want all of this just DON'T design the game as this one. Everyone know why they choose this kind of design than adopt the more conservative one like on a lot of big Japanese game today.
They took the risk, but at the end chickened out AFTER all PO and preload alread been. if I'm the director, I am rather choose to brace it to the end than doing bait and switch.

Last edited:

ManaByte

OOOOOH, since it's an RPG full frontal nudity is OK.

6b480qv522xc1.jpeg

Fabieter

Is anyone actually offended by that change?

The way I see it, there never was anything to it. It was literally some reactionary idiots conjuring up a controversy out of nothing more than the proximity of a graffiti decal to a shop-sign.
So that being the case, why would anyone care that it was changed to another generic decal? Nothing was lost,

Oh right. Its about the "point". Its about not letting those people have their way.

If that's the only basis for the argument, I don't see it being about freedom of expression, its simply about who gets to dictate to the developers.

Sorry. Not cool in my opinion.

The point was the changed that so their prior promiss was already broken so breaking it further makes no difference to me. Imo if we are talking about censorship than the hard r stuff should have stayed as well.

Klayzer

Which gaffers are those? I've been on gaf throughout the announcement to release and I dont know who you're referring to here. Just call them out if you think so. Everybody I see here was always interested in Stellar blade. If anything I see a bunch of people who had no interest suddenly outraged about a game they had no interest in to begin with.
veMc1fC.gif

graywolf323

yeah, I think this is a giant nothingburger with the anti-censorship types being just as unreasonable as the woke crowd and I’m firmly NOT in the progressive camp

Methos#1975

They should of listened to their buying fanbase that is actually buying the game and not journalist that were never going to spend money on it anyway. Now they have caused a bigger backlash online against them and destroyed their own credibility and created mistrust in them as a developer, awesome job guys.

I think companies should start treating USA the same way they treat Saudi Arabia and China - releasing special USA editions with less revealing outfits, custom labels and so on.

Shame that this cannot happen due to the size of american companies and a lot of companies being american in the first place and thus preventing other countries from dealing uniquely american issues (or invented spanish like in SM2). But maybe eventually as there is no point for other countries in the world to deal with american mess.

Last edited:

Toons

No, I don't. I'm just aware of Sony's history of censorship. I'm making some educated guesses based on that. I'm not gonna pretend I have it all figured out or anything, but all information we have points that way. None of the other scenarios sound very likely.

Case in point:

This is extremely unlikely. The game has been promoted as a fanservice heavy game from day one. Its entire identity and reason for existing is to provide that kind of experience. They would need to have a damn good reason to justify these changes after the game had already been rated and shipped. It would also need to be something they only figured out shortly before release. And I don't buy that such a reason exists.

I mean.... it still seems like a fanserveice heavy game lol

Topher

Gold Member
I think companies should start treating USA the same way they treat Saudi Arabia and China - releasing special USA editions with less revealing outfits, custom labels and so on.

Shame that this cannot happen due to the size of american companies and a lot of companies being american in the first place and thus preventing other countries from dealing uniquely american issues (or invented spanish like in SM2). But maybe eventually as there is no point for other countries in the world to deal with american mess.

Nonsense. America does not force any gaming company to make changes to their games so your comparison to China or whatever is absurd. Anything done to a game is strictly voluntary so don't blame the US, blame the publisher.

Last edited:

Toons

Perhaps you could respond to my post, instead of this random statement? Would be appreciated.

Your post isn't really saying anything that changes what I said. It ess advertised as a famsevice heavy game snd it still is. They just changed some of the elements of that fanservice, its nothing we haven't seen any number of artists with their work. If they this is their preferred vision of the game I don't see a reason to think they're lying .

SenkiDala

All this over 2 modified outfits, the world has gone mad
I mean censorship is a mistake. The game is rated M in USA, 18+ in EU, why censor a game that is for adults ? Also they built ALL THE MARKETING of the game around 2 facts : fan service + uncensored on all territories.

I am not even interested in the game (the demo is quite ridiculous, looks like some random indie game, but it's a PS5 exclusive so it's receiving hype, anyway another subject), but I understand those people. How else can you show your disagreement than cancelling your order or cancelling your PS+ subs ? In fact that's the only efficient way.

Sony's certainly usual cowardice is embarrassing... Always the same thing with them.

If some of you think "well I don't care 2 costumes is nothing", great and enjoy the game, but I understand people who disagree. Censorship shouldn't exist in products rated for ADULTS, even if it talks about rapes, child abuse, animals abuse or all kind of shit... IT IS FOR ADULTS, if the subject is "too much" for you, don't play that game.

That's why for many people video games are still a hobby for retarded teenagers. You can't make it an art that is also made for adults if you refuse that some games are for adults only.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
All this over 2 modified outfits, the world has gone mad
It's really terrible. World has gone mad, social media and internet were a mistake.... at least internet past it's utilitarian early 2000s.
This game? I see Asmongold and other big streamers "tons of censored outfits!!!" People keep repeating about OUTFITS and censorship... while I've only seen screenshots proof of 1 changed otufit and maybe the 2nd one... and the changes could just be style, not censorship.
Or Dragons Dogma 2 getting all the crazy hate for mtx which don't fucking matter.
It's weird because good games get unfair critique nowadays
edit: everything is drama

Last edited:

violence

Censorship or not, I’m surprised what they were allowed to do given that this is Sony.

I prefer we have pushback to California.

Last edited:

Tokio Blues

We are living in a mad mad world guys. It's OK and healthy to give hormones to a girl to look more masculine or to mutilate the reproductive organe of a little a boy BUT WE CANT SHOW SOME BOOBS IN A FUCKING GAME.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Your comment doesn't make sense. In this case it's the company itself voluntarily changing their own work, not the US government forcing a change. This is an example of a company bending the knee to outrage culture. It's not government interference.

America does not force any gaming company
Except due to the size of the american market, companies have to adjust their games in order to avoid backlash due to vocal american community. Better safe than sorry. Chinese internet communites do not have high representation online. The point is to treat USA as its own independent market.

Your comment doesn't make sense. In this case it's the company itself voluntarily changing their own work, not the US government forcing a change. This is an example of a company bending the knee to outrage culture. It's not government interference.
The point is that due to sheer influence that USA has in the gaming market (and vocal communities), companies have to adjust their worldwide releases just to appease the USA. I did not say that USA government forced to do anything, I said that USA market should be treated like its own independent entity how it happens with Saudis and China.

The more hilarious part is that I believe chinese version did not change anything (it seems like they have more issues with anime lol)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Except due to the size of the american market, companies have to adjust their games in order to avoid backlash due to vocal american community. Better safe than sorry. Chinese internet communites do not have high representation online.

No, they do not. None of these changes were due to backlash from any American "community" for this game at all so your entire point is completely contrived.

Three

I mean censorship is a mistake. The game is rated M in USA, 18+ in EU, why censor a game that is for adults ? Also they built ALL THE MARKETING of the game around 2 facts : fan service + uncensored on all territories. censorship shouldn't exist in products rated for ADULTS. even if it talks about rapes, child abuse, animals abuse or all kind of shit... IT IS FOR ADULTS
Rated M is 17+. AO is Adults Only (18+). It's rated M. So it's not like games like this are at the end of the range and can start depicting rape or whatever you suggest without affecting the rating, it's not adults only. AO in the gaming world is usually a kiss of death.

Last edited:
No, they do not. None of these changes were due to backlash from any American "community" for this game at all so your entire point is completely contrived.
Except it is. If not for magazines complaining about this or that, nobody would give a damn. And the publisher's rules are influenced by the overall public perception. Like Microsoft's guidance on how to design characters.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Except it is. If not for magazines complaining about this or that, nobody would give a damn. And the publisher's rules are influenced by the overall public perception. Like Microsoft's guidance on how to design characters.

The first censored shit was in fact an american specific thing with the racist thing no one on the World even knew.

Crayon

All they had to do was not fuck it up. They were handed a "win" after the past few years of reveals and previews, then they specifically post on how the game is un-censored in all region and build hype, then day 1 patch in a bunch of censorship. It's a betrayal of trust at best and some insidious bullshit at worst. People always get me on the wrong part of this censorship angle. It's not the specifics of WHAT was censored, it's that it happened to begin with.

Let's look at it this way- Maybe it's someone else who was handed a win and fucked it up.

A lot of people were cheering on thIs game because of the controversy over the sex appeal. Continuing on it's path in a world that shuns this kind of thing. Understandable. I am one.

Eve made it through the door, she made it through the hoops, the bumps, the haters, the manipulators, the bean counters, the regulators, the twitter banshees, and through the final stretch...

...to arrive almost unscathed. 95% unscathed.

Very nice.

Unless, you draw a hard line at your principles I guess. Then 95% isn't good enough. Or 99.99999%, for that matter. Maybe having principles means everything is all or nothing.

Well I have principles too, but I'm a practical type and I consider this final game mission accomplished. Anyone who was holding this game up as a flag for anti-uglification or anti-woke should be using it as a cudgel now that it made it over the line. Reviews are great. Awareness is sky high. And most importantly the game still has a cavernous, chrome ass crack in your face at all times.

My friend, there are hectares of artery-clogging cheesecake in this game. We got side boob, under boob, happy trails, anatomically correct sub-crotch structures, micro-breadloafing, glutes that seat four, and a degree of subcutaneous tissue animation the could be described as severe.

Seriously people should be championing this game more than ever. Laughing that those little scraps of fabric were all it took for the horniest aaa game since dead or alive volleyball to get through the censors and to the top page of the store.

Yet here we go, turning it into an L because the little game that could didn't come all the way up the mountain , through all the aligns and arrows, without a fucking scratch. It came all that way and delivered everything from subtle nipple puff to sunlight glinting off a spandex-constricted labia, but fuck all that - it's the principal of the thing and now we lost and here comes the whaaambulance.

I have to stress that the concept of principles or having them is a real thing and very important but in life there are countless instances where have to take wins where we can get them. And turning down a win this clean all considered is just crazy.

Topher

Gold Member

Overall American perception is at odds with this absurdity just like the rest of the world. Blame Microsoft and Sony for catering to the loud minority on twitter.

The first censored shit was in fact an american specific thing with the racist thing no one on the World even knew.

Hell, most of America has no idea about that nonsense.

Last edited:
And turning down a win this clean all considered is just crazy.
Who's turning down anything? No one's telling you not to buy the game, or not to play and enjoy it. No one's saying the other outfits aren't hot as fuck. No one's saying this game is completely irredeemable because they (probably) censored a couple outfits. Anyone can see the changes are very minor. Just pick another outfit if you don't like the altered ones. There's plenty to pick from.

But those are just the details people tend to get caught up in. Censorship has no place in any creative industry and if these changes were really ordered by some outside party for political reasons, that's wrong. Not only does it affect this game, but it sets a precedent for it to happen again. People are simply voicing their concerns to prevent that and this is the appropriate place for it.

The sad thing about the discourse around Stellar Blade is the whole conversation has (predictably) degraded into a right-versus-left, win-loss battle, rather than focusing on companies changing games via post-release patches for reasons that are (the hard "R") or seem (costumes) ideologically driven. In both cases, the alterations bother me, not because of what was altered but because of why the changes were potentially made (admittedly, I much prefer the unaltered costumes). In a world where Square Enix recently patched black fabric to cover a character's chest (presumably to remain consistent?) in a game they released four years prior, there's a conversation to be had, over whether this is what customers want from the video game industry, especially as games continue to increase in price. With Stellar Blade, while at this point probably unlikely, I dislike the now precedent some other visual element could be seen as not falling under the final vision and being altered in a future patch. Unfortunately, I get the feeling all this will be filed away under the culture war and won't particularly benefit anyone.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Idk if it's just me but my timeline's filled up with this shit now & people are barely talking about games anymore. All this political shit & the brain-dead convos around this game are all I ever hear about now, SONY PLS DROP A BANGER SHOWCASE ASAP, I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE

Top Bottom