• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

GHG

Brotato with manual aiming turned on is vampire survivors for real men.

Never got the appeal of vampire survivors, but this, this is my jam.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I really like the ease of application and clarity of the JSAUX screen protector, but at least on my unit, it really diminishes the sensitivity and precision of touch input compared to no screen protector or amFilm that I had previously used. Probably varies by unit, but that has been my experience lately. I'm going to leave it on since it rarely affects my experience. It's mostly on the Win10 Virtual Keyboard. On SteamOS, I use the d-pad to type, so I don't notice it there.

SCB3

Been playing Death Stranding recently as it was in that decent Humble Bundle with Aliens Fireteam (yet to try) and am blown away on how well this not only runs but looks, the battery life is pretty bad at about 2 hours at best but still doable and I rarely play for 2 hours straight. Its a perfect pick up and play game as well for a few deliveries here and there and I'm liking the new Directors Cut stuff as well

Then last night I decided to see if Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was working as the EA app was breaking a few games and it was and damn it runs great! I ended up buying the super cheap version in a sale recently despite owning the Origin version and yea this is a lot of fun and brought my completed Cloud Save over with it, maxed it out to 45fps and its smooth

This device though, I'm in danger of making my massive backlog even bigger, I just bought Brotato on a whim and added so much to my wishlists, its kinda perfect for older games that I need to get back to such as my next game after Zelda: TotK is done, Bioshock Infinite

Assaulty

Been playing Death Stranding recently as it was in that decent Humble Bundle with Aliens Fireteam (yet to try) and am blown away on how well this not only runs but looks, the battery life is pretty bad at about 2 hours at best but still doable and I rarely play for 2 hours straight. Its a perfect pick up and play game as well for a few deliveries here and there and I'm liking the new Directors Cut stuff as well

Then last night I decided to see if Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was working as the EA app was breaking a few games and it was and damn it runs great! I ended up buying the super cheap version in a sale recently despite owning the Origin version and yea this is a lot of fun and brought my completed Cloud Save over with it, maxed it out to 45fps and its smooth

This device though, I'm in danger of making my massive backlog even bigger, I just bought Brotato on a whim and added so much to my wishlists, its kinda perfect for older games that I need to get back to such as my next game after Zelda: TotK is done, Bioshock Infinite

Do note that for Jedi fallen order, the framerates will get worse on some of the other planets you visit. I started out at 800P medium for a locked 45 fps, but on some planets you have to lower to 720p and turn dynamic res on to get the game to run at locked 45 fps. Still a great experience on the Deck.

Tried Aliens btw. It runs like ass on the Deck for how it looks. Same for desktop (I can't get locked 240 fps on a 6900xt with a 13600k). Besides that, I feel like the delay V-sync and/or the decks built in limiter throw into the mix are super noticable for this game for some reason. Limiting frames with the built in deck feature makes the aiming feel even worse than Vsyng, so currently I am playing it at unlocked framerates that hover between 40 and 50. Not great, but better than locked 30 fps (at least to me). Game itself is very mediocre btw.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Like Kenpachii Kenpachii and others I went with this for my docking solution. $90 for the official one is just too much. I am pleasantly surprised with the build quality - very nice. Once my new desk arrives I'll give it a spin.

jcsSzQj.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Like Kenpachii Kenpachii and others I went with this for my docking solution. $90 for the official one is just too much. I am pleasantly surprised with the build quality - very nice. Once my new desk arrives I'll give it a spin.

jcsSzQj.png
Such a shame that the only USB-C port for the Deck is on the top of the unit. I've been thinking of picking up this dock to just use as a charging dock, but having to still plug the cable in when placing the Deck is... kinda lame.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Nice. The Xbox app is ok, but could definitely use a mode with UI like SteamOS. It would be really ideal if we could get an official Windows driver for the Deck controls that doesn’t require Steam. Then you could have the game mode that uses the Steam and “…” performance menu buttons, and the UI could just be a news page, library page, and store page that you use L1 and R1 to switch between. Steam button could bring up a side panel with friends, quick launch/recent, settings, etc. While the “…” performance menu button brings up windows game mode performance metrics. Having functional back buttons would be nice. Probably asking too much since Valve would probably have to provide the controller driver and they don’t seem interested in making it. Maybe reWASD could make it happen?

GHG

Couple of other games for under a dollar from the Humble store that work well on the deck:

Edge ($0.69):

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/edge?hmb_source=search_bar

I already own edge so tested it out and it works flawlessly despite being listed on the steam store as "unsupported". It should have a verified tag, no idea why it doesn't.

Neat little puzzle game, perfect for 5-10 minute short bursts if that's your thing. Every level has leaderboards as well. The most surprising thing - the soundtrack is banging. Definitely keeping this one installed.

Rive ($0.74):

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rive?hmb_source=search_bar

Not tried this one myself yet but looks like a neat side scrolling SHMUP/bullet hell game. The reviews on protondb have it as working perfectly on the deck.

Last edited:
Suikoden 1-5
Valkyria Chronicles 1-4
Trails of Cold Steel 1-4
all portable
it's so beautiful :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Except all I do is play Project Wingman. Also about to buy Vampire Survivors. I played it on my phone but touch screen controls suck.

SCB3

Been playing through Bioshock Infinite for the first time and this runs fantastic, and the battery drain is really slow on this compared to Star Wars atm

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Planning to dust off my Steam Deck for Mega Man Battle Network tomorrow.

this wouldn't just be good for Steam Deck but all the stupid handhelds that are coming out these days
Would you pick Live-a-Live or MMBN Collection?

I’ve read where not all titles in the MMBN are worth it, so there’s vol 1 and vol 2. I’m a big X fan. I also own the classic MM games, both Legends, Tron Bon and the Zero Collection. I’m also the type of MM who vanishes from the series for a period of time due to MM fatigue. I never got around to MMBN, but I read where MMBN3:B is the best and the first MMBN is a constant series of battles after taking five steps. I’m no stranger to classic RPGs at all. I skipped LAL when it first launched due to other titles. So I’m debating Vol 1 is enticing for 2 and 3, but then you have all the enhancements in vol 2. I have have a feeling both titles will run great on the SD. Return of the Obra Dinn also looked good.

Patrick S.

Banned

jcsSzQj.png
Docking stations cost an INSAME amount of money. The Lenovo USB-C docking stations we have at work cost like €260 each :messenger_open_mouth:

OverHeat

« generous god »
My steam deck is gathering dust, we need something more powerful to play those new AAA games. Love the thing but it’s already showing it’s limits

Last edited:

GHG

My steam deck is gathering dust, we need something more powerful to play those new AAA games. Love the thing but it’s already showing it’s limits

Then don't play AAA games on it?

Although it's capable in some cases (albeit at lower settings) that's not really what it's for.

I'm having a great time playing indie games (currently core keeper and brotato) and emulators (ps1/2, PSP, Xbox 360, GC) on mine and couldn't be happier. It's also great for older AAA games.

If I want to play something more graphically intense and more deserving of a big screen then that's what the 4090 is for.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Then don't play AAA games on it?

Although it's capable in some cases (albeit at lower settings) that's not really what it's for.

I'm having a great time playing indie games (currently core keeper and brotato) and emulators (ps1/2, PSP, Xbox 360, GC) on mine and couldn't be happier.

If I want to play something more graphically intense and more deserving of a big screen then that's what the 4090 is for.
Euhhh ok having more options would be a bad thing?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nah its about having realistic expectations for a handheld device.

It's not as simple as just throwing a more powerful chip in there, cooling and battery life need to be considered.

In time we will get a more powerful deck, but that won't happen until AMD come up with a new suitable APU for them.

Agreed. Also, FSR 2.0 can work some magic. I personally think it's great given it's a handheld targeting 1280x720 1280x800. I know we've discussed it before in this thread but it breathes new life into PS360 gen games. I think that's where it really shines (emulation aside).

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
From interviews it seems like 2025 will be the year. Personally, I think a new iteration every 2yrs. would be ideal, so early 2024. I'm still happy with the Deck. If you're like me, you have hundreds of games in your backlog, not including emulation, many of which can be competently played on Deck. Newer stuff like Sony's botched PC ports, Callisto Protocol, etc...not so much. RE4R seems to run ok, though.

Asus Ally seems to be on the horizon according to reports. You might have to sell your Deck and go with that if you really need the latest and greatest. I considered that approach, but I'm not sure I want to give up 2 back buttons, touchpads, and some of SteamOS's nifty features for more power that might result in extremely poor battery life.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Im an 09er. Ive been playing on stick since. Playing on a hitbox style controller is a bit of an uphill battle for this old man.

Its really fun playing on the Snackbox Mirco. As someone who plays fighting games, i always wanted to play fighting games (amongst games in general) on the go. The Steam Deck is such a perfect device, no regerts.
k1Ib6PH.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Desktop Dungeons?
Never heard of this game but it says it is playable on Steam Deck and currently free:

It started as a flash game way back in the day, and was free. Came out on Steam as the "Enhanced Edition" in 2013. They recently gave all of the owners of the Enhanced Edition a free upgrade to Desktop Dungeons: Rewind (their latest remake), so they're giving away the Enhanced Edition for free now.

It's fun but super heavy on the roguelike mechanics, if that's your jam. The graphics feels a bit dated, since obviously the original game came out something like 15 years ago.

TheStam

I have a desktop computer with a 13700k / 4080 and the Alienware 34" QD-OLED ultrawide, but I easily do at least half of my gaming on the Deck. I just love it, currently doing a new run of Elden Ring and even at 30 fps it's so great handheld.

I really admire how Valve designed the OS with integrated gamescope, community layouts and so on. I would not consider a competitor like Asus at this point but if Valve released a new Steam Deck I would buy it day one. My wishlist would be in order:

1. Twice the performance or thereabouts
2. A somewhat bigger OLED screen without these large bezels. 1080p maybe, but 800p is still fine for me at this size and easier to drive 60 fps.
3. Round trackpads more akin to the Steam controller which were superior in every way IMO.

I'd sell my desktop and pay up to 2000 EUR right now for that if I could.

Last edited:

jshackles

I have a desktop computer with a 13700k / 4080 and the Alienware 34" QD-OLED ultrawide, but I easily do at least half of my gaming on the Deck. I just love it, currently doing a new run of Elden Ring and even at 30 fps it's so great handheld.

I really admire how Valve designed the OS with integrated gamescope, community layouts and so on. I would not consider a competitor like Asus at this point but if Valve released a new Steam Deck I would buy it day one. My wish list would be in order:

1. Twice the performance or thereabouts
2. A somewhat bigger OLED screen without these large bezels. 1080p maybe, but 800p is still fine for me at this size and easier to drive 60 fps.
3. Round trackpads more akin to the Steam controller which were superior in every way IMO.

I'd sell my desktop and pay up to 2000 EUR right now for that if I could.
I mentioned this in the ROG Ally thread, but I'd love to have the ability to install the Deck's SteamOS on the Ally (similar to how the Deck can install Windows 11). Twice the performance, 1080p screen, combined with the better software option would be ideal.

So I haven't owned a deck long enough to know what happens when Proton updates. I see that Proton 8 is out now along with a new runtime (Sniper). Is the update supposed to be automatic or do I have to download them myself? Would games automatically default to using the new Proton version? Can I delete Proton 7 and Soldier?

SCB3

Bioshock Infinite ran great all the way through and a amazing game to boot, I've found I use my Deck now for Indie games and my Backlog or retro replyas, for example I am looking at:

Retro:
RE5
Star Wars KotOR 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
Evil Within 2

Indies:
Return of the Obra Din
Disco Elysuim
Vampire Survivors
Brotato
Ori 1 and 2

And then still going through more modern stuff like Jedi Fallen Order and Skyrim, I have so much to play

SCB3

Im an 09er. Ive been playing on stick since. Playing on a hitbox style controller is a bit of an uphill battle for this old man.

Its really fun playing on the Snackbox Mirco. As someone who plays fighting games, i always wanted to play fighting games (amongst games in general) on the go. The Steam Deck is such a perfect device, no regerts.
k1Ib6PH.jpg

You know what I am half considering the PC versions of SF6 and Tekken 8 for this alone

Thinking about it, how do the Yakuza games hold up on this, I never did play 1-6 (started with 0 and played LaD and Judgement though)

Last edited:

Filben

The Steam Deck is really affecting my platform of choice when it comes to buying new games. I would always grab the PS5 version because I love physical editions and despite having a 3600/3080 combo I'm tired of micro stutter and tinkering and lackluster DualSense support. But the option to play those games also when I'm away from home for a few days is just great.

So my now go-to rule for purchases is to buy indies that don't get a physical release for PC/Steam Deck and the rest for PS5.

Kupfer

I don't know what happened, but I haven't read anything about it yet. Neither from the patchnotes for proton 8 nor from other websites, but meanwhile Crysis works on the Deck! About a year ago I tried it as well, but then the game did not start. Also Alex from DF didn't manage to make the OG Crysis work on the Deck.
Back then, like today, the game is considered "unsupported". With the release of proton 8, however, I thought I'd give it another chance and behold, it works. Just force Crysis in the compatible menu to proton 8.01, start it up, select the invisible window ( "Play Crysis" crashed for me) and off you go!

SahjENr.jpg

y3VwLbo.jpg

sBk4ZiC.jpg

With SMT disabled in PowerTools and only 4 cores it's a mostly stable 40fps with shown settings - but to be fair I just played the first level.

It's nice to be able to run OG Crysis the go with only 12W power consumption.

Last edited:

jshackles

The Steam Deck is really affecting my platform of choice when it comes to buying new games. I would always grab the PS5 version because I love physical editions and despite having a 3600/3080 combo I'm tired of micro stutter and tinkering and lackluster DualSense support. But the option to play those games also when I'm away from home for a few days is just great.

So my now go-to rule for purchases is to buy indies that don't get a physical release for PC/Steam Deck and the rest for PS5.
A big portion of my gaming time I'm on handhelds, and I'm also huge into physical releases. So this was me last year too - torn between buying physical copies of games I wanted to play (on the Switch), or buying digital copies on Steam and getting the benefit of also being able to play them on my 3060 in ultrawide.

For more than a few games that I bought on the Switch, I've double-dipped on Steam - almost specifically because of the Deck. I love physical games to death, but now if something is getting released for both PC and Switch, I'm picking PC.

Filben

ultrawide [but also Switch]
This is also me. Even though I have an ultrawide screen I've bought RE4 Remake for the PS5 because CAPCOM didn't bother to add adaptive trigger support and haptic feedback to the PC version. And then I'm also owning a Switch but this is mainly for Nintendo/Switch exclusives.

As of recently I also bought Dredge for the PS5 although it seems a perfect game for the Deck. But yeah... physical artbook + disc and sleeve is something my nostalgia-induced childheart can hardly pass on.

Mr Branding

A big portion of my gaming time I'm on handhelds.
Yeah, same here. Having a hard time deciding between Switch and Deck purchases.

For whatever reason I kinda don’t play old school 2d games on Deck because I feel the Switch is more than capable to run them and I love that Oled screen. Those and Nintendo exclusives are going on the Switch (with some exceptions ofc).
The rest is reserved for the Deck.

Just got done with Star Wars ™️ The force unleashed ™️ on Deck and jeeez did it age bad. The movement is not only janky but also super floaty. The combat, Qte, and general gameplay loop is super dated and not fun. Story and presentation are cringe worthy and for how much I absolutely adore the euphoria ™️ physics, this game didn’t need them. Why do I have the feeling that the version available on Switch (Wii/Ps2) is better? Don’t even get me started with that Star Destroyer junkyard level, gave me ptsd…

Last edited:
Top Bottom