• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
It does seem pretty good for the price but it's still too high for me. $700 is approaching introductory gaming laptop price. Massively better than the other Windows based handheld PCs though. If it runs the Motorstorm games at full speed for around 3 hours, I might seriosuly consider getting one.
Im curious to see more ps3 and switch emulation on it first. If its runs alot of those games with high fps and playable, I think Im all in

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Last of us
The new 1.0.5 patch seems to have brought performance and visual improvements to the Deck. Looks like 10-15% better performance with improved lighting, better FSR 2 implementation, and reduced stuttering. An extra 3-5fps might not seem like a lot, but when you're straddling that 30fps mark it helps out a lot to keep it above 30fps as opposed to dips into the high 20s. I don't have the game yet, but it looks playable at this point, and perhaps a patch or 2 away from being a good experience. He explains optimal settings in this vid, and I guess you can get slightly better performance when using CryoUtilities.

mad man underclocks and overclocks on the steam deck, bit hardcore but hey u can if you want.

I finally gave in and undervolted my Deck cause I was desperate for battery life. From full charge, it's almost 3 hours for Forza Horizon 5 on high at a locked 30 FPS. That's nearly 20 minutes more than stock voltage. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I just need to read up on how to do it in a way that's possible for the upcoming Steam OS update which I heard resets the bios and disables the Smokeless method.

Last edited:

GHG

Question for my fellow deck aficionados, what's the best way to go about managing 2 separate SD cards?

I didn't anticipate myself using emulation so much and didn't get a big enough SD card for all my games so I'm looking to get another 512GB one.

What I'm currently thinking:
  • Delete all my steam games from my current SD card, keep the emudeck + roms setup. Use this card only for my emulation games so that I don't mess up my emudeck install and file structure.
  • Use the new SD card for Steam games only.
Does that work?

Also what's the best practice for swapping SD cards? Turn the deck completely off before swapping?

Apocryphon

This looks interesting..

“..the folks at FX Technology Limited, who have created DeckHD, a screen upgrade for the Steam Deck that pushes it to 1920 x 1200 resolution, better known as Full HD+”

74% Adobe RGB colour gamut (vs 45%).

GHG

This looks interesting..

“..the folks at FX Technology Limited, who have created DeckHD, a screen upgrade for the Steam Deck that pushes it to 1920 x 1200 resolution, better known as Full HD+”

I don't think this is an "upgrade" considering the capability of the chip in the Deck.

lmimmfn

This looks interesting..

The native resolution is too high for the deck performance unfortunately. Same screen resolution with OLED screen and VRR would be fantastic.

Apocryphon

The native resolution is too high for the deck performance unfortunately. Same screen resolution with OLED screen and VRR would be fantastic.
Performance will depend on the game. Not everybody is playing new AAA releases on the Deck 😂

In games where I can run close to max settings at 60fps, I’ll just run them at 40fps instead.

What will be interesting to see if how well 720/800p scales to 1920x1200. If it doesn’t, I’ll stick with the original screen. Colour should be much better and it retains the 400nits with the matte screen.

Either way, it’s an interesting and welcome development.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Performance will depend on the game. Not everybody is playing new AAA releases on the Deck 😂

In games where I can run close to max settings at 60fps, I’ll just run them at 40fps instead.

What will be interesting to see if how well 720/800p scales to 1920x1200. If it doesn’t, I’ll stick with the original screen. Colour should be much better and it retains the 400nits with the matte screen.

Either way, it’s an interesting and welcome development.

FSR can do some of the heavy lifting as well. Run the games at a native resolution 1200x800, set FSR sharpness to 1 or 2, should be fine for upscaling to 1920x1200 without too much compute and memory overhead.

Sleepwalker

This looks interesting..

While its nice that it exists, I would prefer an OLED screen or something closer to 90% RGB color gamut at least since this mod means going in hard at the decks innards.

Question for my fellow deck aficionados, what's the best way to go about managing 2 separate SD cards?

I didn't anticipate myself using emulation so much and didn't get a big enough SD card for all my games so I'm looking to get another 512GB one.

• Delete all my steam games from my current SD card, keep the emudeck + roms setup. Use this card only for my emulation games so that I don't mess up my emudeck install and file structure.
Does that work?

Also what's the best practice for swapping SD cards? Turn the deck completely off before swapping?

I have a 400gb microsd with my emudeck install and all my roms. The regular steam games I have on my internal ssd, but swapping SD cards should not be an issue, other than maybe misplacing them. You can hot swap your micro SD cards while on gaming mode, no issues. Just make sure to not be running a game or app off the sd card while doing it.

I also have an external hdd hooked up to my dock for stuff I only want to play while docked, this is also a good solution if you emulate on your tv.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This looks interesting..

Good stuff. I’ll definitely wait for reviews given the complexity of changing out the Deck screen.

Question about a theoretical VRR screen: is that something Valve would have to enable in the graphic driver?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well - the volume + and - buttons on my Steam Deck are apparently busted, and the unit is stuck at full volume with seemingly no other way of lowering it. I've tried rebooting, I even tried pairing a Bluetooth media remote to it and pressing the Vol - button on that, to no avail. Just full volume, constantly.

Since I got my unit on May 9th, 2022 - it's now just outside of it's 12 month warranty period.

I might have to try to disassemble it and physically disconnect the speaker, then maybe try and pair it with some Bluetooth headphones that have their own audio levels (independent of the audio levels of the Deck). Sucks having things break right after the warranty runs out...

RobRSG

Well - the volume + and - buttons on my Steam Deck are apparently busted, and the unit is stuck at full volume with seemingly no other way of lowering it. I've tried rebooting, I even tried pairing a Bluetooth media remote to it and pressing the Vol - button on that, to no avail. Just full volume, constantly.

Since I got my unit on May 9th, 2022 - it's now just outside of it's 12 month warranty period.

I might have to try to disassemble it and physically disconnect the speaker, then maybe try and pair it with some Bluetooth headphones that have their own audio levels (independent of the audio levels of the Deck). Sucks having things break right after the warranty runs out...
I would contact Valve before to see if they can support you anyways.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

I'm sure you've tried it, but out of curiosity have you used the volume slider in the Quick Access menu?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure you've tried it, but out of curiosity have you used the volume slider in the Quick Access menu?
Yeah, even booted into desktop mode and used the slider there, no dice.

Going to try a factory reset / re-install later today to see if maybe that forces it back into working.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah, even booted into desktop mode and used the slider there, no dice.

Going to try a factory reset / re-install later today to see if maybe that forces it back into working.

How did the OS reinstall work for you? Because it doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me, more like some kind of hang up between device drivers and config files somewhere. I remember back in college I had an issue with a Linux install in which the volume was perpetually low, and ripping it out and reinstalling fixed it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I can't get Cemu emulation working.

The games list just doesn't appear. I have no idea what's wrong!

Sad Super Mario GIF by Mashed

jshackles

How did the OS reinstall work for you? Because it doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me, more like some kind of hang up between device drivers and config files somewhere. I remember back in college I had an issue with a Linux install in which the volume was perpetually low, and ripping it out and reinstalling fixed it.
Finally had some time to go through with this. It seems to have fixed the issue. Fingers crossed.

Yoda

Setup EMUDeck this weekend. Works really well out of the box, literally didn't need to do any tinkering for GBC or GBA games. Will try out some more complicated stuff later but I'm starting to use it as much as my gaming rig.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
With Cemu the rim destination folder is slightly different to every other emulator. There's an additional "roms" folder that you need to seek out.
The roms are in emulation/roms/wiiu/roms if that's what you meant.

I found another problem (but didn't get a chance to do anything about tit yet) that in EmuDeck, Cemu doesn't have the Installed/Update button. It's almost greyed out. But there is a Cemu installed in my SteamDeck, which I can run (it just doesn't list the games I have).

So weird. I might have to do a fresh installation. I tried Yuzu after many months, and controls aren't working in Yuzu either. Super Mario Odyssey is stuck on the main menu, as I can't select "resume."

GHG

The roms are in emulation/roms/wiiu/roms if that's what you meant.

I found another problem (but didn't get a chance to do anything about tit yet) that in EmuDeck, Cemu doesn't have the Installed/Update button. It's almost greyed out. But there is a Cemu installed in my SteamDeck, which I can run (it just doesn't list the games I have).

So weird. I might have to do a fresh installation. I tried Yuzu after many months, and controls aren't working in Yuzu either. Super Mario Odyssey is stuck on the main menu, as I can't select "resume."

Yep that's the one for the cemu file path.

For the yuzu controller setup this is what it looks like in mine:

DE4mdcA.jpg

I can't recall if I set it up like that manually as part of a tutorial or if that's how emudeck configures it out of the box but regardless, maybe that helps.

The best thing to do might be to do a clean install of emudeck and start again. I used the guides from this guy to get mine all set up initially:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yep that's the one for the cemu file path.

For the yuzu controller setup this is what it looks like in mine:

DE4mdcA.jpg

I can't recall if I set it up like that manually as part of a tutorial or if that's how emudeck configures it out of the box but regardless, maybe that helps.

The best thing to do might be to do a clean install of emudeck and start again. I used the guides from this guy to get mine all set up initially:

Yeah Yuzu was working fine when I used it a few months ago. Even played Mario Odyssey. I think Emudeck 2.1 changed some configurations.

I'll do a fresh installation; it'll most likely solve most of these issues I hope. Thank you!

SCB3

Thank you! I haven't tried the USB helper yet. I'll give this guide a try.
Thats what got mine working, I legit own the games as well so no guilt over downloading them already decrypted at this point

By the way once you do get it up and running, make sure you check out the fan patches in the Dolphin menu (you will need to go to the desktop mode of Dolphin) as the Zelda games has some fantastic res bumps and clean ups

Good stuff. I’ll definitely wait for reviews given the complexity of changing out the Deck screen.

Question about a theoretical VRR screen: is that something Valve would have to enable in the graphic driver?
That's awesome! I feel like the deck may get a bit sluggish at those higher resolutions In anything recent, though. The enhanced color output is cool :)

JCK75

Duplicator was on sale a few days back, being IT working with chromebooks running 2230 drives on the regular I could justify the $100 I spent..
but it came at just the right time as I had purchased a 1tb drive for $115 a few weeks back so now the swap is going much easier.

I dreaded having to redo all of the customization I had done over time.

6s7hiO4.jpg

How does fallout 4 and Skyrim run on it?
Depends on what you're looking for. I prefer having longish battery life so I tend to cap frame rate at 40. That gives me about 3 hours of playtime. Skyrim runs near perfectly on high. Similar results with FO4 but at medium since it's a more demanding game. Exception to this is when settlements get really complex but if you keep them relatively simple, you should be fine. There's also some minor annoyance in that regular controls don't work on the launcher for both games. You can either use the Steam button (held down) + touchpad to simulate a mouse or just use the touchscreen.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
That's awesome! I feel like the deck may get a bit sluggish at those higher resolutions In anything recent, though. The enhanced color output is cool :)
It will definitely be worth waiting on reviews before attempting something so complex. We'll see how the increased resolution looks on a smaller screen. It will probably be mostly Gen 7 games and emulation that will benefit, along with a Gen 8 game here and there. Spider-Man seems to run quite well at 1920x1200, 30fps, Medium settings, and FSR 2 'Quality'. It's especially helpful that it has dynamic resolution. Another area a higher-res screen might benefit is for streaming from PC or PS5.

On the other hand, it will be important to see how the majority of games look running 800p or below on 1200p screen.

Last edited:

GHG

Does that work?

Quoting myself to update anyone wondering who might be reading. Can confirm having a setup of on SD card just for emudeck/roms and another for all other games (including non-steam games, such as those from battle.net) works perfectly.

I just turn off the deck every time I want to swap and haven't had any issues at all.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What's everybody playing on their Steam Decks?
  • I just finished Convergence this morning (an okay game with some fun platforming, basic combat, cool time-reversal mechanic, and weird difficulty spikes).
  • Now almost 45% done with Assassin's Creed Unity.
  • May start Prey

Kenpachii

Anybody has a good guide on how to install windows 11 on SD card without removing the SD card out of the deck? and also dual boot so u can select windows or steam os at the startup

Top Bottom