• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After over 80 weeks the Steam Deck leaves the top 10 global sellers on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
Steam_Deck_melhoria_desempenho_em_games.jpg

At one point it seemed like there was just no stopping the Steam Deck but now it seems after being available for 1 year and around 8 months or so, the Steam Deck has started to move down the top sellers on Steam.

That was one heck of a run though right? Going over Valve's own Weekly Top Sellers list from the Steam Deck release up until the week of "Tue, September 26, 2023 - Tue, October 3, 2023", the Steam Deck was always globally in the top 10, where in that week it hit 11th place and the following week "Tue, October 3, 2023 - Tue, October 10, 2023" it hit 15th place. So that's around 83 weeks in the top 10 globally.

Keep in mind Valve's top seller list is by revenue, not units sold. Quite a number of those weeks (around 22) the Steam Deck was even in the number 1 spot globally. Coming up against games that were repeatedly selling in the multiple hundreds of thousands, and in many cases millions, that's a lot of Linux-powered Steam Decks going out into the hands of gamers.

That's only globally though, when going to different regions, the Steam Deck is still in the top 10 for some, but the opposite is also true, in some regions it's also much lower.

Given that handheld PC gaming is still quite a niche overall, with a lot more competition now from other vendors and with rumours swirling of an upcoming refresh, it's perhaps not surprising to finally see it start to slide down a little.

The Steam Deck only continues to mature and get better over time too, with lots and lots of Proton updates improving game compatibility and SteamOS 3.5 now in Preview, there's still constant excitement for the Steam Deck.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I always thought that they were just keeping it there to promote it like you would with a sticky thread on a forum. How many units they would have to sell during this time to keep it on top for that long? At this point, everyone and their pet would own one if that was the case.

Midn1ght

im confident it was falsely placed by Valve in the top selling products because it sold 1.6MM in the first year and many games sell more than that in a week and it still remained in the top 5 or above during those times.
The top 10 is not about how many units/copies is sold but on how much money it makes I believe. The Steam deck being over 400 USD per unit, it's no surprise it stayed in the top 10 for so long.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I always thought that they were just keeping it there to promote it like you would with a sticky thread on a forum. How many units they would have to sell during this time to keep it on top for that long? At this point, everyone and their pet would own one if that was the case.
im confident it was falsely placed by Valve in the top selling products because it sold 1.6MM in the first year and many games sell more than that in a week and it still remained in the top 5 or above during those times.
I mean it’s right there in the article folks, the chart is revenue based not units so it doesn’t matter if it was being outsold by games because 1x $400 Steam Deck is more valuable than 5x $60-70 games

Keep in mind Valve's top seller list is by revenue, not units sold. Quite a number of those weeks (around 22) the Steam Deck was even in the number 1 spot globally. Coming up against games that were repeatedly selling in the multiple hundreds of thousands, and in many cases millions, that's a lot of Linux-powered Steam Decks going out into the hands of gamers.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, in terms of sales it was lagging behind but it was still up there because the Deck was more expensive than any game and the top 10 sellers measure by revenue and not units sold. if it were measured by pure units (like it's supposed to) the Deck would've left top 10 long ago.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is there any way that a version of proton will ship for desktops? I’m building a new pc for strictly gaming and it would be nice to avoid windows if that’s possible

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If you want to use proton you have to use a Linux distro. I linked you a distro made for gaming and content creation.
I’m reading it now. It seems to be trying to help morons (ie:me) with using Linux for the first time. Does it play nice with amd cpus and gpus? It only mentions nvidia there.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’m reading it now. It seems to be trying to help morons (ie:me) with using Linux for the first time. Does it play nice with amd cpus and gpus? It only mentions nvidia there.
AMD works perfectly on Linux, they're mentioning Nvidia because that's the cards that have trouble. hence all the fixes documented.

tmlDan

The top 10 is not about how many units/copies is sold but on how much money it makes I believe. The Steam deck being over 400 USD per unit, it's no surprise it stayed in the top 10 for so long.
I still don't think it makes enough revenue in comparison to top selling games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
because 1x $400 Steam Deck is more valuable than 5x $60-70 games
and that's not even the most bought version as much as it is the 500 and 600 dollar versions. So yeah deck was carried by its price more than its actual sales.

That being said, it's still a bit upsetting to see it fall down from the top 10. great system!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
well, best part of computers is that you don't have to use just one OS. Have Windows on the side for anticheat and Gamepass. Hence why I also suggested Windows 10 LTSC.
I’ve never done that… sounds like I need to read up on it. Do we have a thread for stupid pc questions? I used to know lots of stuff… 20 years ago, but now it’s all new again and a touch intimidating I’m not scared to say.

Azzurri

Not about Steam Deck, but since it's on the portable gaming topic.

I'm looking at buying the Legion Go in a few weeks. It looks like it has everything I want.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’ve never done that… sounds like I need to read up on it. Do we have a thread for stupid pc questions? I used to know lots of stuff… 20 years ago, but now it’s all new again and a touch intimidating I’m not scared to say.

it talks about Ubuntu but this guide will work with any OS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It being there didn't mean anything anyway.
No way in hell it was selling elden ring numbers with which it was at the top last year

graywolf323

there’s some good guides about how to do it, and Valve has said official support for dual booting will be coming soon which will make it even easier (hopefully similar to what it used to be like on Intel-based Macs?)

Holammer

Valve released a video just a few days ago addressing lots of popular theories on Steam visibility speculation among developers. That and groundless conspiracy theory and shit-make-upping like yours.

(relevant bits in the timestamp).

Kenpachii

used it for about 6-10 months and loved every piece of it, migrated to a gaming laptop for more performance. But honestly impressive piece of tech for that price.

tmlDan

Valve released a video just a few days ago addressing lots of popular theories on Steam visibility speculation among developers. That and groundless conspiracy theory and shit-make-upping like yours.

(relevant bits in the timestamp).

Why would i believe them lol

Also, it should not be revenue based, thats stupid.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
steamsdeck is farmtastic but looks like Wii U 2 clunky builded in a fatsos basement needs a better screen they must take my advice for deck 2 Im sorry my friends

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, it had a good run. RIP.

In all seriousness, I echo the sentiment that it's the best gaming purchase I've made in years. An absolute game changer, for me. I have neck and back problems (multiple surgeries, etc) and so I go lay in the bed early every night, well before time to sleep, and the Steam Deck has supplanted all other forms of gaming that I had to use in this situation.

Top Bottom