• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Was Planned For PS5 Prior To Microsoft's ZeniMax Acquisition, FTC Says

DrFigs

Surely they ain't laying out 7 billion to get no exclusives at all. Now I'm surprised Indiana Jones is exclusive but Starfield is a new IP and it's a high profile exclusive that Xbox needs.
It's surprising that games that were already in development for ps5 were just cancelled. I might expect future games to get only xbox ports, but to cancel games midway (or further along) in development like they did with Redfall and Starfield is noteworthy.

Last edited:
Surely they ain't laying out 7 billion to get no exclusives at all. Now I'm surprised Indiana Jones is exclusive but Starfield is a new IP and it's a high profile exclusive that Xbox needs.
Sony laid out Billions and didn’t get Bungie exclusives.

The facts are that Microsoft has decieved regulators and subsequently has form.

This is why the FTC is partially concerned.

Three

I mean yeah, did anyone think otherwise?
I present to you DarkMage619 DarkMage619 :

Bethesda has made an exclusive game for Xbox before and no one can prove Starfield was coming to PlayStation.

1) There is no evidence that Starfield was coming to PlayStation. It's speculation.

2) Starfield was formally given a platform after the acquisition. For all we know it could have been a PC exclusive but MS paid to have an Xbox version added.

Mhmm except unlike Sony, baby Xbox will get Daddy Microsoft but more publishers and studios and exclusives…If Xbox wanted to make PS sweat they would have invested in their own studios first given how they are clearly struggling instead of simply buying ‘success’..
Exactly. They can do it - Turn 10, PlayGround Games, the Coalition etc were all built with Microsoft’s money.

They can’t be arsed to invest the time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Given the choice, I would have likely purchased Starfield on the PS5 just because I like the PS5 controller and its features better. In the end, I went for the PC version so that I can enjoy mods and higher FPS cap and can still play Starfield on my Xbox for 'free' with gamepass if I want to.
Same. The 30 fps cap killed any chance of me playing it on my XSX.

Unfortunately, based on the state of many other recent PC games, I can't say I have all that much confidence that the PC version of Starfield will be anywhere remotely close to stable....

Gojiira

Exactly. They can do it - Turn 10, PlayGround Games, the Coalition etc were all built with Microsoft’s money.

They can’t be arsed to invest the time.
Exactly, PS bought Studios that they had a long history with, and have very clearly invested in their own. MS are doing the DCU trying to copy Marvel, they want success NOW so they just keep flinging money around instead if carefully building

Did anyone think Starfield was only planned for Xbox back in 2018 when it was announced, and Bethesda was an independent company?? Why is this newsworthy. Obviously prior to the acquisition it was multiplatform. Of course it was

Sony laid out Billions and didn’t get Bungie exclusives.

The facts are that Microsoft has decieved regulators and subsequently has form.

This is why the FTC is partially concerned.
Unless Microsoft had named games to keep as multiplatform and then reneged then the FTC don't really have a case. It may seen to us that some shenanigans went on inside Xbox to make certain games exclusive but it's not going to stand up in a court, I may be wrong though. Also surely with the CMA block this is all completely redundant isn't it?

RickMasters

Where in the goddamn fuck did I say that they should do it to appease Sony fans? I am saying it would be a good business move.

"release it on PS5 for full price."

I get it...sell your game on the platform with the larger userbase.....that doesnt grow xbox user base anymore than sony releasing their Ps5 games six months down the road. the only effect it has is making people wait for it on their platform of choice.......and they exp[ect more to follow, relegating the need to buy the console. which is the last thing thats going to grow the xbox userbase for MS. that serves nobody but sony and its customers. And MS just take a chequer to stay in last place. its not a good business move at all if you are running xbox. They already Have the PC as the external platform. releasing things on your direct competitor has no benefit. it that were the case...why is nintendo not doing 'great business' sense and putting games on everything else...why is sony not doing it? unless we are talking about their ' me too' GASS games that nobody seems to want.

I've said it before and I will say it again, MS best move would be to give Starfield a timed exclusive Gamepass and then on down the line, release it on PS5 for full price. It's not keeping the game off of Sony platform, but is providing an attractive reason to play on Xbox.
Spiderman was multiplatform but Sony not letting Insomniac make it multiplatform.

FF games also exclusive to PS5 plus Sony has 20% shares in SE.

Sony can make games exclusive but if MS doing same to boost their ecosystem, they evil ruining industry. You all some goofy clowns serii
You're the one being a clown, because what I said had not one goddamn thing to do with Spiderman. NOT. ONE. GODDAMN. THING.

My post is about Starfield. Nothing more.

Me saying that MS should release Starfield on PS5 a year down the line, doesn't in ANY way imply that somehow I am OK with Sony making Spiderman exclusive.

"You all some goofy clowns seriously lol"
Why MS release Starfield on PS5 at all ?
They need some exclusives to bring players to their ecosystem. Will Sony release Spiderman on Xbox ? They signed a deal with SE to block FF7 remakes. Sony blocks 3rd party games let alone 1st party lol.

And I used your post to call out clowns coz your post was bit clownish lol.

Banned
" When everyone plays, we all win..... "
Animation Lying GIF

everyone has a mobile device or PC or both... or a smart TV.

so everyone who owns any of these can play :)

RickMasters

You two took that to mean Xbox was going multiplatform? 😂😂😂
Its crazy how something as ambiguous as "I want people to be able to play regardless of what device they own" to translate as "we are gonna put our exclusives on PS" thats some serious hopium!

I alwats read it as console (meaning their console xbox, not everybody else) PC and cloud (mobile etc) thats kind of 'play anything anywhere' covered........but hey its all PR talk and they know it...yet it becomes their gospel anytime exclusive xbox games is a topic. he could just as easily mean that, speaking of xbox/ MS own vision of things. because thats what it is...on their terms. but people are firm in their interpretations and just sort of....run with it to mean whatever remix sounds good to them.

Key word there is timed... MS didn't make it timed. Next?
MS bought em. So why would they? Sony cant afford to buy Bethesda, so they go money hatt route.

MS clearly said case by case basis for Bethesda future games.

For ABk deal, MS offering legally binding 10 year deal for all competing platforms. ABK deal main purpose is to boost mobile gaming 1st then other stuff.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Its fine as long Sony doing it. MS is evil for doing it.
Nah...all is fair in love and (corporate) war. to the victors go the spoils. I commend sony for everything they have done to be market leader....but its always been obvious after years of dropping that ball that MS was gonna have spend big and swing heavy to get back in the fight. I dont begrudge sony for buying and securing what they can either. I dont blame them for leveraging their position to stay ahead of MS. its all business. this will all happen regardless of our opinions on consolidation and its effects. its happening in every industry. especially when it matures.

RickMasters

People are supposed to be happy about all of these 12-24 month timed exclusives?
No..... they are not. but between consoles companies. exclusives are like weapons. they drive sales. we all know that too.....so what, now? not like we can ask them to have a gentlemen's agreement between themselves. they want to beat each other.

Nvzman

This FTC examination is making Microsoft look absolutely awful right now. Literally all goodwill they were amassing was just pure bullshit.

Of course, I knew this was because they were getting their asses handed to them in market share, as did others, but this is making me go from indifferent about the ABK acquisition to full "fuck Microsoft". They should shut down the merger, it's clear this is just typical MS trying to bulldoze themselves through the top of their market by buying up the market instead of doing anything the consumer gives a shit about to make them preferred in the first place.

RickMasters

Weird narrative. I don't like game heads acting like corporate news trash that are clearly lying but won't admit it. Just say the truth, don't be a coward.
nah....whats weird is people like yourself constantly obseessing over the guys quotes and misinterpreting them ...thats weird. hes a corporate guy....... speaking corporate lingo.......why are you suprised/upset/bothrered by somebody just doing their job? seems like all the salt is on your end. and thats a weird thing to be pissed about. its just games.

"Just say the truth, don't be a coward."

*sighs*...lol, fine...fight the good fight brother! stick it the man! ....feel better? and FYI...never call a next man a "coward" over the internet....... you aint tough. dont let them keyboard fingers fool ya!

Last edited:
owning a company and releasing their games only on your own system is not even remotely comparable than having an exclusivity deal with a third party
I agree!

So when sony buys TIMED exclusives its not remotely as bad as ms buying said publisher outright to keep them off their rival permanently. But some posters being ah well sony played dirty first is kinda disingenous.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No..... they are not. but between consoles companies. exclusives are like weapons. they drive sales. we all know that too.....so what, now? not like we can ask them to have a gentlemen's agreement between themselves. they want to beat each other.

Oh absolutely. I know I’ve seen loads of complaints about Microsoft not having any big AAA exclusives, or a reason to buy an Xbox. Especially with Sony nailing so many games down to timed or full exclusivity.

Now there’s reasons. Can’t hurt to own both.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why MS release Starfield on PS5 at all ?
They need some exclusives to bring players to their ecosystem. Will Sony release Spiderman on Xbox ? They signed a deal with SE to block FF7 remakes. Sony blocks 3rd party games let alone 1st party lol.

And I used your post to call out clowns coz your post was bit clownish lol.
Because anybody with a functioning brain can see that MS (dead last in fact) is in last place and that putting Starfield out on PS5 would drastically boost their revenue for a console that has a user base with nearly 40 million. It won't happen, but from a revenue standpoint it would make the most sense. Nothing MS has done so far has come remotely close to closing the gap between them and Sony. That gap continues to widen. I have little faith that Starfield will move the needle all that much. I want MS to be successful and competitive, I don't like Sony all that much right now, but Sony has done a much better job at running their brand than Xbox. It is absolutely embarassing that MS with all the resources at their disposal haven't been able to produce a steady stream of AAA content. They have terrible leadership.

I hate to break it to you, all these Gamepass subs and everything is eventually going to have to bring in a profit. In an era where people are cancelling subscriptions I am not sure this model will benefit Xbox in the long run, but that is another debate for another time.

Last edited:

Rambone

Same. The 30 fps cap killed any chance of me playing it on my XSX.

Unfortunately, based on the state of many other recent PC games, I can't say I have all that much confidence that the PC version of Starfield will be anywhere remotely close to stable....
I'll go with whichever is the lesser of the evils and if 30fps XSX happens to be the best place to play Starfield then that is where I will play. Thinking back to Cyberpunk 2077 when it launched, I ended up playing it on Stadia for awhile as it was the best experience at the time despite owning a great PC and all major consoles.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Obsidian.. all studios that have flourished under MS, and that is just a few examples.
How did the studios you listed flourished under MS?!

Double Fine's last game = Psychonauts 2. Development started long before the acquisition.
Ninja Theory = Bleeding Edge. Terrible flop. But also in development before the acquisition. And how good Hellblade II will be remains to be seen.
Obsidian = Grounded and Pentiment. Solid games (in terms of creativity, Pentiment really deserves a medal), but nothing that Obsidian couldn't have done without MS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom