• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield was originally also coming out on the PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

dotnotbot

We know. Change of ownership and new direction.
Steller Blade was also coming out for Xbox, but Sony bought the publisher rights and change of plans.

Having publisher rights doesn't equal to owning IP. It's like Microsoft had publisher rights for Mass Effects at first but Bioware was still able to re-release it later with EA as publisher for PS3.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Bethesda has always made cross-platform games after Morrowind/Oblivion

If the game started development before the acquisition, this is something obvious

Last edited:
Having publisher rights doesn't equal to owning IP. It's like Microsoft had publisher rights for Mass Effects at first but Bioware was still able to re-release it later with EA as publisher for PS3.
Publisher rights are just as important as IP ownership, and it all depends what is in the contract.

Pimpbaa

Probably would have performed the same as the Series X version, even similar load times due to the lack of use of hardware decompression.

dotnotbot

It literally was, the FTC case. Not only did Todd Howard confirm they were shopping it around, but then Spencer stated that on hearing this that was when he pushed the acquisition.

Phil lying in court isn't confimation.

And the only relevant thing is that Starfield would stay multiplat and still release on Xbox so more people can play it. When everybody plays, we all win.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Phil lying in court isn't confimation.
749638.jpg

It literally was, the FTC case. Not only did Todd Howard confirm they were shopping it around, but then Spencer stated that on hearing this that was when he pushed the acquisition.
I do find it interesting people have glossed over that point: Microsoft buying Bethesda was a reaction to Sony buying up every exclusive they could. Why buy the milk when you can buy the cow, I guess. It was confirmed in the same manner as the information we're all having a field with today. People like to pick and choose what they believe, it seems.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Microsoft doesn't care about the money left on the table and the PS5 install base. It would bother most share holders for normal companies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft doesn't care about the money left on the table and the PS5 install base. It would bother most share holders for normal companies.
And sony doesn't care about money left on the table on xbox and switch. I know only Sony is allowed exclusives

TrueGrime

I do find it interesting people have glossed over that point: Microsoft buying Bethesda was a reaction to Sony buying up every exclusive they could. Why buy the milk when you can buy the cow, I guess. It was confirmed in the same manner as the information we're all having a field with today. People like to pick and choose what they believe, it seems.

Some people won't ever believe that Sony's timed exclusive practices are leading to Microsoft acquiring. Especially in the case of Zenimax. I mean, Microsoft still had to adhere to Sony's exclusivity with Deathloop and Ghostwire after the acquisition. Starfield was the last straw, and as you said, why buy milk when you can by the cow.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Doesn't bother companies who are fighting for market share. That's what Xbox is doing.

And sony doesn't care about money left on the table on xbox and switch.

Clearly.....they are competitors.

I know only Sony is allowed exclusives

Obama Reaction GIF

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So much leaking today even old stuff is coming out.

Feel like there are half a dozen arguments I need to pull up from my post history just to reply and say "I told you so". Nah....they are probably all banned anyway.
I kept asking some folks....Sony was trying to money hat a game that wasnt coming to PlayStation?

I never got a straight answer......because it made absolutely no sense.

749638.jpg

Todd shopping around for deals...is somehow Sony's fault?

So Sony should turn down deals...because it hurts MS? Next thing I'm gonna hear is Sony shoulda turned down the Spider-Man deal...because MS turned it down first...

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Todd shopping around for deals...is somehow Sony's fault?
I never said Bethesda selling exclusivity was Sony's "fault". I said Microsoft reacted to Sony buying up every exclusive they could by buying Zenimax. That was stated as fact - literally under-oath.

Ask yourself: what brand goal did Ghostwire Tokyo achieve for Sony? Looking around, it seems pretty clear: none. So, why buy it? Simple: Sony didn't want to leave Xbox with anything. PlayStation poked the bear because they got greedy.

Editaur

After paying a little on X, I'm wondering if a PS5 version would of ended up with better optimisation on both consoles..............................eh probably not :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom